• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Fliesen

This game is the ultimate proof-of-concept of what the Switch can offer as a platform. It's checking all the freaking boxes. Whew.

Aye. The first thing i did when i got home, was pop off those joycons and play 2-player splitscreen with my girlfriend.
The barrier of entry to local coop by EVERY console coming with 2 basic controllers is so so good.

Looking forward to playing a few cups in bed today, too.

Salaadin

Amazon won't budge at all. Can't credit me for the digital version. Can't cancel my physical order. They told me that I could order digitally and then, once my physical order ships, they'll refund me but I don't like the idea of paying them twice now so I could get refunded later.

I'm going to wait for UPS. There's still that first Amazon rep who told me my order shipped so I'll hang on to that hope. If it's not in the truck, then I'll order right from the eshop and go thru Amazon's cancellation process.

hatchx

Banned
2. What do the star rankings on cups mean exactly? I finished first in the Mushroom cup but only got 1-Star (got 2nd on the 3rd race, 1st on the other 3). How do you get 2 stars? 3?

3. Is the drifting spark just based on time spent drifting, or do you get extra for pumping it like Mario Kart 64 (that's the last MK I played a TON of).

I saw the other poster answer this, but I think coins factor into star count doesn't it? And doesn't pumping work?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I saw the other poster answer this, but I think coins factor into star count doesn't it? And doesn't pumping work?

It depends on how many individual races you finish in 1st place.

Does two items make the game much more chaotic? I liked that mk8 was more restrained with items than it's predecessors.

Owensboro

Reposting for a new page with an edit:

"Anyone got a good crash-course on Kart and Part choices? I understand weight class, but have no idea when I'm screwing myself over with kart & part choices. Is it better to shoot for middle of the road? Acceleration? Grip? Speed? I'm having a serious paradox of choice here and it's stressing me out."

Addition --> I'm not looking for individual stat breakdowns to Min/Max, I'm just looking for general advice! With heavy characters should you stack a specific stat? What about medium or light?

Mine still hasn't shipped. Even posting the sadface emoticon won't be enough to console my grief.

Same here. And still says arriving today. Amazon, you're slacking bad lately.

Step 1: go to local store that sells Mario Kart.
Step 2: Buy it and save the receipt.
Step 3: Enjoy Mario Kart!
Step 4: When the Amazon copy shows up "return" it to local store as your purchased copy.

I was finally able to complete my download. Phew, it took like 20 hours lol. Coming from 7 on 3DS, this game looks sick. I have a hard time processing the thought this is a game on a handled. And I officially hate the inclusion of Animal Crossing stuff in this since it makes the wait for a proper episode on switch unbearable ;-). AC art style translates so well in HD.

How are the wheel attachments and single joycon controls in general?

They feel great. Similar to wiimotes in Mario Kart Wii and 8. Although now the plastic wheel is essential, but with wiimotes it was a hinderance (imo). And I'm talking about motion controls if that's not clear. Dunno about using the stick to control...

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Step 1: go to local store that sells Mario Kart.
Step 2: Buy it and save the receipt.
Step 3: Enjoy Mario Kart!
Step 4: When the Amazon copy shows up "return" it to local store as your purchased copy when it arrives.
I know, I may be doing that. I shouldn't have to though. That was half the reason I ordered online, to avoid a store.

Reposting for a new page with an edit:

"Anyone got a good crash-course on Kart and Part choices? I understand weight class, but have no idea when I'm screwing myself over with kart & part choices. Is it better to shoot for middle of the road? Acceleration? Grip? Speed? I'm having a serious paradox of choice here and it's stressing me out."

Addition --> I'm not looking for individual stat breakdowns to Min/Max, I'm just looking for general advice! With heavy characters should you stack a specific stat? What about medium or light?
Character: Dry Bowser or Wario (same stats)
Kart: Cat Cruiser or Teddy Buggy (same stats)
Wheels: Off-road or Slims, depending on if you value handling or traction (depends on if you're a Dry Dry Desert spammer or not TBH)
Glider: Super Glider

^Best all-arounder kart combo IMO. Great place to start once you unlock one of those karts.

Rodin

Yeah ok this shit is incredible. They made a few adjustments and the game is considerably better than before, i already said back then that MK8 was one of the best, if not THE best racing arcade of all time and this improves on that excellent base. Graphics in 1080p are incredible, seeing them on a portable system is maybe even more impressive, ost is god tier and the driving model is seriously top notch. Game feels just fantastic to play thanks to all these things, and HD Rumble is really well implemented, subtle but does the job of "simulating" different things.

Also love the fact that with the introduction of inklings and King Boo now i'm basically going to rotate for my main character more than in any other chapter in the series.

Gonna get out of the way 150cc and under and then i'll start focusing on the time trials, blessed by the fact that they fixed that fire hopping shit so i won't quit them after a few dozens hours because of an insufferable "mechanic". 200cc can wait.

Tried a couple of matches online and it worked ok, had one disconnection and a bit of a delay when selecting the track/starting the race, but the matches were smooth. Gonna try online battle mode later.

jonno394

Just played this with two of my mates. It's so good. Battle mode in tabletop mode is so hard to play, no idea what was going on lol.

sleepnaught

Man, its amazing how great this game looks in handheld mode. Better yet, it looks like I only used 25% in one hour of playing. Looks to be roughly 4 hours of handheld with wifi on on auto-brightness. Only bad thing is I noticed tons of artifacting, purple clouds and reflections when in docked mode. Im assuming that means my Switch is overheating, guess I'll have to send it in :(

I picked up the joy-con wheels mainly for my 3-year old and it turns out they also make the individual joy-cons super usable as normal controllers. In addition to providing a better grip, they also provide real, normal sized shoulder buttons:

MIl8tqH.jpg

vls2J08.jpg

Cody_D165

Banned
Trying to join friends in a full lobby is the worst.

Just have to mash the A button until someone leaves and it lets you join =/

"The target device cannot accept any more connections"

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've gotta say I had minor concerns about using single joy cons for multi player but the shoulder buttons, slide grips adding that little bit more height and an analog stick (thinking in contrast to a sideways Wii controller, for example) make them spot on. Singlep player I'll still be going double joycon but they work perfect sideways.

Top Bottom