• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Firebrand

Amazing how there is always this one guy in the lobby holding 1st-2nd while avoiding the clusterfuck in the first lap.
That's my experience with the game in general so far. If I make it to the top spots early on I have OK chances of keeping it, with enough gain to negate blue shell hits. If I'm in the back of the pack in the first lap it's fucking purgatory, I'm never getting out of there.

To me it contrasts with MK7 where you could bullshit yourself from last to a top spot within half a lap, for better and worse.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
First experience of HD rumble and I'm really impressed. I was sure it was a bullshit marketing term when it was unveiled, but there's real texture to the vibrations. Reminds me of the Mario Kart machines in Tokyo.

BlankBlueCockroach-size_restricted.gif

Took this gif yesterday and posted it a few pages ago but wanted to share again cause I love it, lol.

And here's a random screenshot:

2017042822595300-16851BE00BC6068871FE49D98876D6C5.jpg

About to hop back on for some GAF battles! Had a ton of fun last night. Shine Thief and Renegade Roundup are awesome.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I really don't like battle mode. Far too hectic and the controls in this game just aren't as tight as CTR so it just doesn't seem like it lends itself well to this type of game mode.

Firebrand

First experience of HD rumble and I'm really impressed. I was sure it was a bullshit marketing term when it was unveiled, but there's real texture to the vibrations. Reminds me of the Mario Kart machines in Tokyo.

Comments like these make me wonder if my joycons are busted. I mean, there's some rumble when something happens. It moves around a bit. I can't really say that oh this effect corresponds to this or that happening though.

I just want to feel your balls, Koizumi!

Exentryk

Never played battle mode on the Wii U, but will give it a try here. Seems like there is some nice variety now.

I really don't like battle mode. Far too hectic and the controls in this game just aren't as tight as CTR so it just doesn't seem like it lends itself well to this type of game mode.

CTR remaster with online multiplayer would be Godly. The battle mode there is second to none.

I know I have been gushing over it before, but it's really amazing playing this in tabletop mode with a friend and just realizing this tiny little handheld is running WiiU quality titles.

ktroopa

can you describe what it makes it HD, or feel different?

sleepnaught

Comments like these make me wonder if my joycons are busted. I mean, there's some rumble when something happens. It moves around a bit. I can't really say that oh this effect corresponds to this or that happening though.

I just want to feel your balls, Koizumi!

Same, just feels like regular rumble to me. I wonder if people are just exaggerating the effect.

Wil348

Anyone else having issues with the online? I keep getting communication errors while attempting to connect to sessions.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
can you describe what it makes it HD, or feel different?
There feels like there's a far greater and more precise range in the intensity of the vibrations, and the length at which the vibrations can occur. It lets them create a very different feel to picking up an item to getting a boost, for example.

Pink boosts feel like you're holding a tiny Kart in your hands, it has an authentically engine-like rumble. It's charming.

McBryBry

Never figured out my pro controller issues last night, was weird. When two or three of us played, it was fine. Add the fourth person and the input lag on the pro controller had me drifting well after letting go of the button and not using items. All other controllers were joycon pairs.

Also, anyone who talks shit on Baby Park deserves every L they get.

DavidDesu

Think I might try using auto accelerate when I play again tonight. I'm struggling adapting to not using the triggers for traditional accelerating and braking and you really don't take your finger off it as it is. How does it affect getting a boost start though?

Azerare

I forgot how frequent blue shells popped up this game. I was curious why I stopped playing the original version and now I remember lol.

I'll probably hop into more battle modes though.

Berordn

How does that make sense when you can use them in offline play.

I'm actually not super up to date on the limitations of Bluetooth. Completely offline there's probably no issue connecting 8 devices, but the moment it has to connect online you're forcing it to offload some of that onto WLAN.

But I'm no expert.

Berordn

Question about new stages and such. What items are unlocked by beating the grand prix cc levels? Is this like playing mk8 all over again? I just don't remember everything from Wii u version. Basically what is the new content and how do you get it?

The only thing you unlock for getting gold in cups is Gold Mario at 200CC. Everything else is unlocked from the start now (characters, courses) or unlocked by the coin collection tally (kart parts).

There's also a golden set of kart parts which has special requirements, but can still be unlocked with coins.

Futureman

This game is crazy good. I think the last Mario Kart I bought was DS? Maybe even the GBA version actually.

Only thing I don't like is my analog stuck is slightly creaky/clicky when I do the drift boost.

Do you have to turn off auto-steering everytime you play? I just had to do it again after playing last night.

Are most people putting auto accelerate on?

Top Bottom