• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Info Thread

trixx

Had this game pre-ordered for a while now. Looks great, only thing i don't like is inclusion of koopa kids =/.

Hip Hop

I'm not a big fan of flying and riding in the wate tbh.

Hated it in Diddy Kong racing, Sonic Racing, and other kart games.

I just want pure karts.

Davey Cakes

Will the game support 5 players at once? Will they be able to make one person Gamepad exclusive?

This is something I've been dying to hear since the game was first revealed. Supporting a fifth player would be AMAZING.

I'm also curious about the online functionality and how much of a step above MK Wii and MK7 it'll be.

Can't wait to hear more. I think I've seen plenty though.

Madao

Will the game support 5 players at once? Will they be able to make one person Gamepad exclusive?

This is something I've been dying to hear since the game was first revealed. Supporting a fifth player would be AMAZING.

I'm also curious about the online functionality and how much of a step above MK Wii and MK7 it'll be.

Can't wait to hear more. I think I've seen plenty though.

hopefully it is above MKW. in MK7, it was a step down since they didn't put leaderboards or the ability to download th fastest ghost.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
give me this, a bowl of Toff's haddock and chips, a galloon of Zero and its pretty much perfect day/month/life

-Will the online be any good?
-Will they give a damn about single player modes besides the ol' Grand prix and time trial thing
Yeah there really needs to be a single race option, that was a glaring omission in the 3DS game.

They should also let you make custom cups of any tracks you want.

Wasn't the Water Park level called Sub Coaster? Then again, that might be just one of the attractions. I heard GameXplain saying that the name could be based on WArio and WAluigi but that might go over some people's heads.

Also hoping for 40 tracks seeing as how many they've already showed off but I'm not holding my breath.

What is the source for Asuka Ota & Ryo Nagamatsu as composers? Did the guy just copy-paste Mario Kart Wii info or is it confirmed?

Nothing is confirmed as of yet in terms of composers. Asuka Ohta & Ryo Nagamatsu alongside Satomi Terui, who worked with Kenta Nagata on MK7, are credited on IMDb, but that's user edited so it doesn't say much of anything. So, still in the dark.

I would hope that Ryo at least is composing for it.

Timeaisis

Can you give some hands on impressions how did it feel compared to mk wii and mk 7?

I think it feels a lot closer to 7 than Wii, IMO. It felt really solid. I only played 3 tracks, and both were at 2 laps only (I think this was for demo purposes). Drifting felt good, but it felt like you could get mini-turbos faster than previous games. Obviously, coins return, but they felt a lot harder to get than MK7. Maybe because I didn't know the placement/tracks yet.

The tracks I played:
Mario Circuit - Pretty regular MK track. Introduced anti-gravity, but straightforward. Not too many shortcuts.
Toad Harbour - Similar to Mushroom Bridge from MKDD. Cool shortcuts/alternate paths with anti-gravity. Some cool alleyways and stuff.
Twisted Mansion - Awesome. Combines elements of Bowser's Castle stages and Luigi's Mansion stages. Two "level" choices off a boost from gliding, some cool forced and un-forced anti-gravity part, lots of drifting, stairways, dodging boos. Really opened up the options for utilizing shortcuts with anti-gravity.

Couple more things:
- Anyway, as far as controls go, it seemed tighter than Wii, so I'd say it's closer to 7.
- Even with the 12 characters it didn't feel as hectic as MKWii or Sonic Transformed (still hectic, but I wasn't getting hit with an item every 0.5 seconds)
- Mini-boosts are a lot faster to get. Like, significantly.
- Wheelies work only while boosting with bikes. At least I couldn't do it otherwise.
- No blue shell, bullet bill, or new characters (Rosie, Koopalings) in the demo so who knows how they'll play.
- Obviously you hold items in your hands now, but I didn't get a chance to try out dragging. I think it's fire-and-forget. They didn't have triple shells in the demo so I dunno how that will work.

I think it feels a lot closer to 7 than Wii, IMO. It felt really solid. I only played 3 tracks, and both were at 2 laps only (I think this was for demo purposes). Drifting felt good, but it felt like you could get mini-turbos faster than previous games. Obviously, coins return, but they felt a lot harder to get than MK7. Maybe because I didn't know the placement/tracks yet.

The tracks I played:
Mario Circuit - Pretty regular MK track. Introduced anti-gravity, but straightforward. Not too many shortcuts.
Toad Harbour - Similar to Mushroom Bridge from MKDD. Cool shortcuts/alternate paths with anti-gravity. Some cool alleyways and stuff.
Twisted Mansion - Awesome. Combines elements of Bowser's Castle stages and Luigi's Mansion stages. Two "level" choices off a boost from gliding, some cool forced and un-forced anti-gravity part, lots of drifting, stairways, dodging boos. Really opened up the options for utilizing shortcuts with anti-gravity.

Couple more things:
- Anyway, as far as controls go, it seemed tighter than Wii, so I'd say it's closer to 7.
- Even with the 12 characters it didn't feel as hectic as MKWii or Sonic Transformed (still hectic, but I wasn't getting hit with an item every 0.5 seconds)
- Mini-boosts are a lot faster to get. Like, significantly.
- Wheelies work only while boosting with bikes. At least I couldn't do it otherwise.
- No blue shell, bullet bill, or new characters (Rosie, Koopalings) in the demo so who knows how they'll play.
- Obviously you hold items in your hands now, but I didn't get a chance to try out dragging. I think it's fire-and-forget. They didn't have triple shells in the demo so I dunno how that will work.

Thanks man! So can't wait!

It's probably been mentioned in a lot places, but what are the controls for accelerating/braking; is it A/B or ZR/ZL?

Anyways, looking forward to the game. I'm still shocked that MKWii was one of my most played Wii games. I never thought that I played it as much as I did.

cacildo

Any news on the Super Mario Kart deal for NA/CA?

Im gonna buy this one digital, because the amount of time ive already played ZombiU makes me fear for the disk drive on my wiiu

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/img/2014/03/14/75188/465905.html
465906.jpg

What are these? Pre-order bonuses for Japan?

Jazzem

I'm desperately hoping for:

A) A return of challenge mode from MKDS (and sort of the online download version in Wii)
B) A 'classic' battle mode option, long overdue by this point...
C) Far more options for online play, namely an expansion on the communities in 7 so it's easier to play in matches with less chaotic items.

Looking very good all the same, glad it's still 60fps and yet looks gorgeous :D

We need pro controller support to be announced.. I will not be happy if it isn't in, considering how much they talked about it at first.

Jazzem

We need pro controller support to be announced.. I will not be happy if it isn't in, considering how much they talked about it at first.

It would be daft if it wasn't, they should go the MKWii route of supporting everything! Hopefully including the classic controller, which seems to get spotty support on Wii U (was in Mario 3D World yet not Pikmin 3, NSMBU or DKC:TF...)

I'm desperately hoping for:

A) A return of challenge mode from MKDS (and sort of the online download version in Wii)
B) A 'classic' battle mode option, long overdue by this point...
C) Far more options for online play, namely an expansion on the communities in 7 so it's easier to play in matches with less chaotic items.

Looking very good all the same, glad it's still 60fps and yet looks gorgeous :D

Is it just me, or has their battle mode never been better than the N64 version?... Maybe I'm just nostalgic.

Jazzem

Is it just me, or has their battle mode never been better than the N64 version?... Maybe I'm just nostalgic.

I just don't understand why they changed it to being timed...or at least that they did so without having an option for the classic three lives. Imagine if a new Halo game came out sans classic deathmatch, or if in Smash Bros Wii U/3DS they didn't have an option for stock!

Battle Mode should elicit very low expectations in this modern age.

I used to play that mode more than the racing because of 64 but all I can hope for is a decent Battle Mode as it's been at best passable of late.

Rules being customized could bring back the magic but I won't hold my breath.

Other than that, this is the game of all games for me.

Please don't fuck it up, everything looks about perfect so far.

I just don't understand why they changed it to being timed...

Obviously, online mode and all the problems that come with it, including trolls (speaking of which, Nintendo added an automated disconnection for people who drive backwards for a few seconds in MK7), inactive people, etc. but indeed an option for private rooms/offline mode would be welcome. Also Nintendo reduced the battle duration from 3 minutes (MKWii) to 2:30 (MK7) as people seemingly prefer short parties.

Wait a minute, Blue Shell "grounded"? Meaning like how it was in 64 where it hits everyone in front of the person that uses it as opposed to just screwing first place which does nothing to help the person who shot it?

Berordn

Wait a minute, Blue Shell "grounded"? Meaning like how it was in 64 where it hits everyone in front of the person that uses it as opposed to just screwing first place which does nothing to help the person who shot it?

Probably like MK7 where it rides along the ground and then fucks over first place especially hard.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought the agreed unofficial name for the club track was Klub Koopa since Larry Lights was just a sign alongside a Roy based one.

Yes but the MK64 spiny shell will always remain superior thanks to the fact you can drag it (and thus free up your item slot) and it protects you from projectiles from behind. These properties were removed in Mario Kart 7.

Timeaisis

It's probably been mentioned in a lot places, but what are the controls for accelerating/braking; is it A/B or ZR/ZL?

Anyways, looking forward to the game. I'm still shocked that MKWii was one of my most played Wii games. I never thought that I played it as much as I did.

A is accelerate, ZR is drift, ZL is use item. You can also use d-pad up to shoot item up or d-pad down to shoot an item down.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Need to know more about the online and the interface.

What sucks is I knew before I even thought about it that MK8 won't support voice chat even just for friends despite the gamepad having a mic built in.

Top Bottom