• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I'm done with this game. I just came from a room where 8 people were hopping all over the track like fucking bunnies.

I shouldn't have bought the game for full price.

It sounds like you just need to learn to play better. If you are playing Mario Kart and not hopping at all, you are doing it wrong. Deal with the losses, play through the grand prix modes, and just get better at the game. It'll be worth it in the end, believe me.

Kinsei

Banned
The one on Mount Wario is incredibly easy to do, but I'm fine with you people not doing it, makes it easy to catch up.
The one at the end of Shy Guy Falls can be a bit hard with heavier characters, you'll likely just end up in the dirt, but with a character with proper handling it's easy to do.

I used to have trouble with the first one near the end of Shy Guy falls (There's actually another one after it), but I can now consistently do it with Bowser.

It sounds like you just need to learn to play better. If you are playing Mario Kart and not hopping at all, you are doing it wrong. Deal with the losses, play through the grand prix modes, and just get better at the game. It'll be worth it in the end, believe me.

I was talking about hop snaking, not regular drifting.

Acerac

Banned
You could at leas hoped for more battlemode?

Battle mode and single player are worthy sacrifices for the sweetest online mode Mario Kart has ever seen. It sucks for the people who like that stuff, but this seems like a Mario Kart crafted with my interests being prioritized.

akaoni

Banned
I've been practicing doing the hopping trick in Royal Raceway and I can see the benefits. The trick seems to be eliminating non-linearity when cornering, basically you slow down when alternating between drifts because the kart has to physically turn, while it also seems to provide better speed if you leave the ground I assume. So you can use it to bridge the gap between multiple turns without having to readjust the direction you're facing. It also improves large boosts and works for about 4/5 consecutive hops, this seems to work with a long drifting boost the same way. The cornering allows you to run a very narrow racing line because you don't have to account for your kart steering off the track as much when close to the edge. It seems easier to do with the d-pad.

So is it reliable? On simple corners it's very easy to do consistently and get a slight incremental benefit, or on the long boosts it's a given that doing 3 hops will be safe for the benefits, but doing it on every single occasion with maximum efficiency like the time trial does seems extremely risky because of how close you're running to the edge of the track which can cost you dearly with a single mistake.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
In my experience first place often gets away nicely while 2-8 slaughter each other. Admittedly this impression is about three days old by now, but still...

this is umm every kart battler ever. unless you can get first place into the fray from the start, the moment third place attacks second place the trend starts.

A
B
C
D
E
F

C attacks B. Assuming B was ahead of C to begin with, the new second place (C) is now FURTHER behind A than B originally was. Meanwhile D is coming up strong and now takes out B and C. Again, there is now an even greater gap between A and D than there was between A and C (which was already larger than the gap between A and B).

Long story short, third place should always have his sights set on first place, not second place. Second and third constantly going back and forth ensures that first place will run away with the race.

boxter432

HUH HAAAEEEEUUUHH

I've been trying the voice out on the family

It hasn't been going over well, and the cats look at me like I'm an idiot

haha

I use Morton because he's heavy (MKWii I almost always used little tight turning characters), but also b/c of his KISS Starchild Paul Stanley makeup. what a goof.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I used to have trouble with the first one near the end of Shy Guy falls (There's actually another one after it), but I can now consistently do it with Bowser.

You mean the small cave you can fly into? That gave me trouble in the beginning, but you basically just have to keep left, so it's not that hard.

I was talking about hop snaking, not regular drifting.

I honestly haven't seen much of that in my online time with randoms, but yeah, any game will always have those players who try to break the system to win. Just keep trying online matches, and especially play with people you know, or GAF.

Kinsei

Banned
You mean the small cave you can fly into? That gave me trouble in the beginning, but you basically just have to keep left, so it's not that hard.

Yeah. I thought that's the one you were talking about, but I guess you meant the ramp you need a mushroom to reach.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I honestly haven't seen much of that in my online time with randoms, but yeah, any game will always have those players who try to break the system to win. Just keep trying online matches, and especially play with people you know, or GAF.

Ok let's be realistic here.. this is not even in the same league as "breaking the system".

Acerac

Banned

They might patch hop snaking, but that's it. They even said that they think this is the most balanced Mario Kart that they've ever made.
Why are people calling this snaking? Call it hop boosting if anything, but it has absolutely zero resemblance to snaking... other than being an advanced mechanic that people want to demonize. It seems that many give it a name that links the two despite the advantage being given differs hugely between the two techniques. As somebody who calls the technique cheating, I highly suspect you're part of this group.

Ok let's be realistic here.. this is not even in the same league as "breaking the system".

Granted, I just couldn't think of a better wording for it. It's a legitimate strategy, I suppose, but at the same time I could see why it might ruin the game for some who'd rather just race without it.

Kinsei

Banned
Why are people calling this snaking? Call it hop boosting if anything, but it has absolutely zero resemblance to snaking... other than being an advanced mechanic that people want to demonize. It seems that many give it a name that links the two despite the advantage being given differs hugely between the two techniques. As somebody who calls the technique cheating, I highly suspect you're part of this group.

No clue why people started calling it hop snaking. I'm just repeating the name I've heard others refer to it by.

Yokai

I shouldn't have bought the game for full price.

I was having a discussion about this earlier. I'm actually not sure if Mario kart is worth 60 dollars even if the game didn't have glitches.

I feel like charging 60 dollars for a multiplayer game these days is a bit overkill.

I'm trying to find a good price on the game and really trying to resist the urge to buy it since I shouldn't be buying more games right now. It's not that great, is it? :-/
This is how I usually am but I didn't even bother this time. I knew I was gonna get it and that was that. I'm actually having a lot more fun with it than I thought I would.

Yokai

Hop boosting is also a terrible name.

You aren't getting a boost from hopping.

I was having a discussion about this earlier. I'm actually not sure if Mario kart is worth 60 dollars even if the game didn't have glitches.

I feel like charging 60 dollars for a multiplayer game these days is a bit overkill.

I played single player for about 6 hours on Sunday and haven't even beaten half the cups or staff ghosts.

Berordn

Let's just call it Fire Hopping and leave it at that.

It's also not that big a deal since you can still win even if you don't use it. It's nothing like MKDS snaking.

Kinsei

Banned
What actually is this supposed technique? I haven't been keeping up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaQx5ouVfs

Let's just call it Fire Hopping and leave it at that.

It's also not that big a deal since you can still win even if you don't use it. It's nothing like MKDS snaking.

Only if you use specific characters and kart combinations.

It's damn near impossible to win with my favorite character + kart combo (Barring lucky items of course) even when every one isn't cheating.

Revven

Fucking FINALLY got at least 1 star in every cup. Lightning Cup gave me the most trouble, so much item RNG BS man. I swear the game was out to piss me off this afternoon, I had to retry it 4 times before finally getting good item RNG (very little items that actually hit me & no blue shells/lightning bolts).

NOW I can purely focus on racing online. Goodness gracious...

Roo

I just tried this hopping thing and I have to say..I like it.
I didn't notice a big difference to be honest but hey if you say I go faster then that must be true :p

I shall not be using hop boosting because I am one of those people who pretends to want to play fair when in fact I'm a scrub who can't make it work in the first place

Going to give this a try this at home tonight /waluigi grin

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking FINALLY got at least 1 star in every cup. Lightning Cup gave me the most trouble, so much item RNG BS man. I swear the game was out to piss me off this afternoon, I had to retry it 4 times before finally getting good item RNG (very little items that actually hit me & no blue shells/lightning bolts).

NOW I can purely focus on racing online. Goodness gracious...

Lightning and, oddly, Banana, gave me the most trouble getting 3 stars on 150. Bad luck constantly on both of them.

Malcolm9

Hopefully Nintendo will nerf that hopping technique, there is nothing worse than people finding exploits in games and ruining the experience.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck whoever was responsible for that lightning!!! x|

It's an unintentional exploit in the boosting mechanics. That's cheating to me.

The effects to me, in an actual race seem so minor, this outburst and quitting the game, calling it cheating and damning those using it just seems so irrational.

It's probably a super quick fix for Nintendo if they even bother. Just remove boost momentum from hops.

trenken

Banned
I couldn't have possibly hoped for more from a Mario Kart. It's like Nintendo decided to finally go all out and make me their target audience for a game; I'm quite frankly taken aback. Granted, there are a few minor quibbles, no race times displayed being a major one, but by and large this game is AMAZING.

Dull roster, characters still dont have their own special abilities (if frog suit mario could hop higher and get better boosts, if ice mario could freeze the track...), no stat tracking online, no leaderboards, no battle mode specific arenas, no track editor, no reward for 3 stars, no special unlockable elite difficult track, like say champions roads in 3D World, antigravity really adds nothing to the gameplay, its a pointless gimmick that you barely notice when playing since the camera rotates with you.

I mean, could a game be more bare bones than this? They couldn't have spent more than a year working on this. There is so much missing and so much that could have made this a much more complete and exciting package. Instead though it's $60 to play MKWii in HD. Really.

Top Bottom