• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: DS / WiFi Connection thread

koam

I thought this was a bit early until I realized that there's less than a month to go before the game is out! It will be the first time Nintendo goes online in North America so I double up the thread with some info on how to go online using "wifi".

First, the game

nintendo-reveals-red-hot-ds-bundle-20051012044000826.jpg

Mario Kart DS
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo (EAD? CAn someone confirm this?)
Release Date:
US: November 14, 2005
Japan: December 8, 2005
Europe: November 25, 2005
Players: 1-8 Offline, 2-4 Online (no battle mode online)

Track list (Confirmed tracks from the get-go, there are 16 Nitro and 16 Retro in all)
Nitro Grand Prix (New Courses)

Mushroom Cup:
* Figure 8
* Yoshi Circuit
* Cheep Cheep Beach
* Luigi's Mansion

Flower Cup:
* Desert Sun-Sun
* Delfino Plaza
* Waluigi Pinball
* Mushroom Hill

Star Cup:
* D.K. Alpine
* Tick Tock Watch
* Mario Circuit
* Flying Fortress

Special Cup:
* Wario Stadium
* Peach Garden
* Bowsers Castle
* Rainbow Road

Retro Grand Prix (Old Courses)

Shell Cup
* Mario Circuit 1 (SNES)
* Moo-Moo Farm (N64)
* Peach Circuit (GBA)
* Luigi Circuit (GCN)

Banana Cup
* Donut Plains 1 (SNES)
* Frappe Snowland (N64)
* Bowsers Castle 2 (GBA)
* Baby Park (GCN)

Leaf Cup
* Koopa Beach 2 (SNES)
* Choco Mountain (N64)
* Luigi Circuit (GBA)
* Mushroom Bridge (GCN)

Lightning Cup
* Choco Island 2 (SNES)
* Banshee Boardwalk (N64)
* Sky Garden (GBA)
* Yoshi Circuit (GCN)

Battle Arenas:
* Nintendo DS
* Twilight House
* Palm Coast
* Sweet Cake
* Block City (N64)
* Pipe Plaza (GCN)

Characters (8 more are unlockable)
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Yoshi
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Wario

Hidden Characters:
Daisy
Shy Guy
Dry Bones
Petey Piranha
Waluigi
R.O.B.
Toadette
Koopa Troopa

New confirmed features:

Mission mode: Complete certain goals or tasks within time limit or constraints.
Custom Decals: Create your own 32x32 decals for your carts.
Multiple carts for each racer: Each cart has its own specs (speed, heavy, items)
WiFi and Local wireless compatible
New items include Squidy and Bullet Bill. Squidy throws ink on your opponents screen which obstructs their view and Bullet Bill turns you into well, a bullet.
You are now allowed to choose the same character in multiplayer
Map on the second screen shows player positions as well as the track and items.

Some more details:
- As in previous versions, you can exchange ghosts (time trial mode) with other players.
- There are 54 mission levels (six levels with 8 missions and a boss level each).
- In balloon battle mode, you have to blow to the microphone to inflate the balloons.
- Each driver has two karts to choose from (don't know if there will be unlockable karts).

Track Impressions (impresssions from Twilight Rockstar)
The tracks look REALLY nice. SNES, N64 and GBA tracls are well nice, and I was even impressed with what they managed to pull off with the GC tracks. Better 3D than I was expecting. The GC tracks do have cut-backs though. eg Mushroom Bridge, there's no shortcut by the starting line, and the bridge arches are off limits.

Music (impressions from Twilight Rockstar)
Really good. The Retro tunes have been remixed, some have slightly different structures, some just different instruments. Some sound about the same, some remixes I prefer the originals of and some, like Donut Plains 1, I prefer the new version.

Missions (impressions from Twilight Rockstar)
Rank (in Mission mode at least) ia scored D, C, B, A, *, **, ***, depending on your speed and overall skill/technique. It'd make sense that it means the same in Grand Prix as well.
There are six levels, each level having eight parts and one boss battle. The missions are there to ease you into the game. They teach you how to boost, corner, powerslide etc and require you to collect coins, destroy enemies, drice through tyres etc. Get this though: the boss battles are arena based and put you up against bosses from Super Mario 64! So far I've gone up against Big Bully and Eyerok.

Tiny unlockable spoilers:
Waluigi is unlockable by completing the Star Cup (difficulty unknown)

Mirror Mode is unlocked by completing all cups in 150cc

Each character has 7 (?!) karts at least. Some of them are repeated amongst the characters (Yoshi & Toad can use DK's Rambi Kart).

The tracks in the Special Cup are Wario Stadium, Peach Garden, Bowser's Castle & Rainbow Road

Some screenshots:
mario-kart-ds-20050515002501330.jpg
30251020051014_005457_12_big.jpg
30251020051014_005457_11_big.jpg

30251020051014_005458_17_big.jpg
28522475812.jpg
mario-kart-ds-20050515002503549.jpg

Possible purpose for Decals (thanks :Motorbass):
mariokart.jpg

NINTENDO WIFI CONNECTION

1128514921news.jpg

el4c2t.jpg
el4bk8.jpg
el4bol.jpg

el4bqh.jpg
el4bus.jpg
el4bw6.jpg

el4bxg.jpg

* FREE
* Easily transfer your settings to another DS (using normal DS wireless connections)
* Space for three connections—no need to change router settings every time you use a different network.
* A separate one-touch connection for the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector
For each connection
* Easily search for a wireless network
* One-touch AOSS support for Buffalo routers and access points.

Manual Setup options
* Auto-obtain DNS or explicitly define Primary & secondary DNS servers, Gateway, Subnet ask, etc.
* SSID and WEP Key (WPA does indeed seem to be unsupported)
* DHCP or manual IP assignment

So what do you need to get online?

- A Broadband connection (DSL, CABLE ETC) - 56K WILL NOT WORK
- A Wireless router or the official Nintendo Wireless Dongle
- A PC (Note that if you are using the wireless dongle, the PC MUST be turned on when you play and the PC also requires 1 USB port).

If you are using the Nintendo wifi dongle you have nothing more to do besides install the CD, and then turn on your DS with a wifi compatible game and press on the one-touch connection button.

If you are using a wireless router, the following must be done.
1) First, make sure your wireless router is 802.11B/G compatible (most routers are)
2) If your router is a 802.11G model, make sure "dual mode" is enable in order to support the DS' 802.11B standard.
3) Find out the type of encryption you are using:
- If it is open you have nothing to do.
- If it is WEP, write down your key, you will need to enter this when you turn on Mario Kart
- If it is WPA, you are screwed. Either switch to WEP or buy the Nintendo wifi Dongle.

If you have any questions regarding wifi, please ask below and i'll edit the answer in here.

If you have anything else to contribute post below.

More info:

DS Download Play:
* 2-8 player simultaneous wireless game play
* Choice of multiplayer racing, Balloon Battle, or Shine Thief modes
* Players who own Mario Kart DS can choose their own characters and use personalized icons
* Players who do not own Mario Kart DS must play as Shy Guy; they cannot use personalized player icons
* Track selection is limited to eight tracks for racing and three arenas for Balloon Battle and Shine Runner modes
* DS Download Play is limited to the 100 cc engine class

Multi-Card Play:
* 2-8 player simultaneous wireless game play
* Choice of multiplayer racing, Balloon Battle or Shine Thief modes
* Players can choose from different engine classes
* No limits on character choice
* No limits on track choice
* Player's win/loss ratio is saved and tracked
* Players who race locally are automatically added to each other's friend roster and then can race via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
* Players can trade ghost data wirelessly, allowing them to race against each others' best times.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection:
* 2-4 Players racing simultaneously
* Choice of playing with:
- Friends Only (players registered as Friends)
- Rivals (players with similar skills)
- Recent Opponents
- Regional Racers (players in their country)
- World Racers (players anywhere in the world)
* No limit on course choice, but each player votes for a course and the course with the most votes wins (in case of a tie, the course is chosen randomly)
* No limit on character choice
* Players can create and use personalized player icons

THERE IS NO BATTLE MODE ONLINE

Here's the WiFi Faqs:

Does it cost anything to play online with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection?
No, there are no monthly subscription fees from Nintendo.

How do I know if a game is Wi-Fi compatible?
The packaging for games with this feature will display the Wi-Fi logo:

For a complete list of Wi-Fi compatible games, please click here.

How can I find out about upcoming Wi-Fi games?
Visit www.nintendowifi.com often to get news on upcoming Wi-Fi compatible games.

What do I need to set up a wireless connection with the DS?
There are two ways to connect with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection with your Nintendo DS: Through a home, wireless network or, through a Hotspot location. What you need depends on where you want to connect.

At home:
In order to establish a Wi-Fi connection with your Nintendo DS at home, you need:

A broadband internet connection (such as DSL or Cable).

A wireless router attached to your broadband connection. The majority of major brand wireless routers are compatible with the Nintendo DS wireless feature. For a list of routers please click here. If you do not wish to purchase a wireless router, you may be interested in the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Connector, which allows you to create an access point using a USB port on your computer. For more information on this accessory, click here.

A Wi-Fi compatible Nintendo DS game. The packaging for games with this feature will display the Wi-Fi logo.

For a complete list of Wi-Fi compatible games, please click here.

At a Hotspot
A Hotspot is generally a public location that offers wireless connection to the internet. Nintendo has Partnered with Wayport in the U.S., and with FatPort in Canada, to provide free Wi-Fi access in many of their Hotspot locations.

When playing at a Hotspot, the only thing you need is your Nintendo DS and a Wi-Fi compatible game.

For information on setting up a connectoin at a Hotspot (including how to locate Partner and non-Partner Hotspots) in your area, click here.

How do I know if my router is compatible with the Nintendo WFC?
Click here and look for your router.

Do I have to buy the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector?
Absolutely not! If you already have a wireless router in your home, you will be able to use your Nintendo DS to connect online and play games. If you do not have a wireless router, you can buy one at your local retailer. Check out our router info page for more information.

If you do not wish to setup a wireless network in your home, you can also connect to the Nintendo WFC at many Hotspots. For more information on setting up a connection at a Hotspot, click here.

Can I tie my Nintendo WFC ID to my My Nintendo profile?
Yes. Link here for details.

Where do I find my Nintendo WFC ID?
Locate the Nintendo WFC Settings screen on the game you are playing (consult the manual for the game you are playing for more information).

Tap "Options."

Tap "System Information."

Your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID will be the second item displayed.

Where do I input the auto-generated nickname?

Turn the power off and remove all games from the Nintendo DS.

Turn the system on by pressing the POWER button.

Tap the screen using the stylus when the "Touch the Touch Screen to continue" message appears.

When the main menu appears, tap the stylus on the Settings Menu Panel at the very bottom middle part of the screen.

Tap the user icon.

Tap the nickname icon.

A keyboard will appear. Erase all the letters of the current nickname using the "Erase" or "Back" button. Tap the letters to spell the nickname that was generated when you visited Nintendowifi.com Tap "CANCEL" if you wish to undo the changes or "CONFIRM" if you wish to enter the nickname.

Wait for the the confirmation message to disappear, then tap "Go Back," then "Quit," then "Yes" to exit. The unit will shut down automatically to save the settings.

To complete the process, either at home or at a Hotspot, connect to the Nintendo WFC. You don't need to complete a match, just be sure to connect.

I tried to link my ID to my profile and it didn't work.

Complete the process within the alloted time.

Make sure that you enter your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID at Nintendowifi.com and then enter the nickname you received into your Nintendo DS

Be sure to complete the process by connecting online once with any wi-fi compatible game.

What is the difference between U.S. Partner Hotspot and non-Partner Hotspot locations?
A Hotspot is generally a public location that offers wireless connection to the internet. A partner Hotspot is a location that has been specifically set up to work with the Nintendo WFC. In the U.S., Nintendo has partnered with Wayport to provide free Wi-Fi access in many of their Hotspot locations.

To locate all partner Hotspots in your area, click here.

It is also possible to connect to the Nintendo WFC at a non-partner Hotspot location. While a non-partner Hotspot is a Hotspot that has not been specifically setup to work with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, many non-partner Hotspots are able to connect to the Nintendo WFC. Those Hotspot locations that require a browser interface for a user to accept a "terms of use" agreement, or to create an account, or that have incompatible security settings are not compatible with the Nintendo WFC.

What is the difference between Canadian Partner Hotspot and non-Partner Hotspot locations?
A Hotspot is generally a public location that offers wireless connection to the internet. A partner Hotspot is a location that has been specifically set up to work with the Nintendo WFC.

Nintendo is currently working to set up partner Hotspots across Canada. Please check back for more information.

It is also possible to connect to the Nintendo WFC at a non-partner Hotspot location. While a non-partner Hotspot is a Hotspot that has not been specifically setup to work with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, many non-partner Hotspots are able to connect to the Nintendo WFC. Those Hotspot locations that require a browser interface for a user to accept a "terms of use" agreement, or to create an account, or that have incompatible security settings are not compatible with the Nintendo WFC.

How do I find a Hotspot near me?
Click here to use our Hotspot locator tool and search your area for all known wireless Hotspots. You can even choose to view only those Hotspots that Nintnedo has partnered with, or view all known Hotspots.

What do I need to do to play at a Hotspot?

Click here to view our step-by-step setup instructions for setting up at a Hotspot.

What is a Friend Code and why do I need one?

Nintendo WFC allows you to play some games with people you've never met before, from anywhere around the world. Sometimes, though, you may find you just want to play with a friend. By exchanging the Friend Code generated by your game with your friends, you have the option of focusing your game play experience to playing only with your friends. For information on how to add a friend to your game's Friends Roster, click here.

Why do I have to enter a Friend Code for every game?
A unique Friend Code is generated for each Nintendo DS Wi-Fi compatible game. This is done so that when you are looking to play online with friends, the Friend Code can look for those friends that are online and playing the same game as you are.

Do I have to have a Friend Code to play online?
No, the Nintendo WFC is designed to allow you to play some games with people you've never met before, from anywhere around the world. Exchanging Friend Codes with others gives you the additional option of playing only with those players you have designated as friends.

Does the Nintendo WCF affect the security of my wireless network?

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection requires that you have WEP security on your router, or no security. However, please note that the Nintendo WFC does not affect these settings. The security setting can only be changed by you on your router.

I don't want to change the security settings on my router. Do I have any other options?

If you don't want to setup a wireless router at home, you can still connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection through a local Hotspot. To find out more about getting connected at a Hotspot, including finding Nintendo's partner Hotspot locations, click here.

If you still want to play at home, but don't want to setup a wireless router, you can purchase the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. This add-on device connects to the USB port on your PC to create a wireless access point. For more information, click here.

Can I see my high scores and other information posted anywhere?

Each game maintains its own stat tracking. Check out the Gaming Hub to see what online features will be displayed for each game.

How do I upload high scores and other information?
Each game has its own method of receiving game statistics. Check out the Gaming Hub for details on each game.

Can I chat online?
Not all games will contain a chat feature. Each individual game developer determines if chat will be in the game and how it will operate.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games that contain a chat feature will work as follows: "Open" chat is allowed between friends who have exchanged Friend Codes. "Closed" chat is available during "Stranger” or "Rival” play. "Closed" chat means you can select from a set of phrases to send to an opponent but you may not type whatever you want.

One of the great features of the Nintendo DS is Pictochat, which allows players to chat using the local wireless mode of the system. At this time, Pictochat is not a feature of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Keep checking Nintendowifi.com for news of any future uses of the Pictochat feature.

Can I choose who I play with/against by location?
Each online game offers its own online options. For instance, Mario Kart: DS lets you choose whether you wish to race against only players on your Friends Roster, players within your region, or players from anywhere in the world. Complete directions are available in the manual for the particular game you are playing.

For additional information, click here to visit our Game Support page.

Will performance of the game be any different online versus offline play?
Normally, you should see very little or no difference between playing with a friend in the same room or when you are playing a game against an opponent across the world. The amount of data exchanged in the process of playing a game is very small. However, if you are using a shared access point – such as a home network where other computers and printers may be active – you may see a small amount of lag time while playing. This may also be true if your Internet Service Provider handles a lot of traffic. If you are experiencing performance problems that interfere with your game play, please disconnect from Nintendo WFC, and try to connect again. You may also want to play using a Nintendo DS AC Adapter while online, because online play represents a higher drain on your battery.

Are there any plans for a national/international tournament online?
Visit www.nintendowifi.com often to get news of any plans for tournaments, contests, and other online activities.

How do I play with other people online?
The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection allows you to connect with other players from around the world for online gaming fun. You have two ways you can connect. One way is to connect with other players with whom you have exchanged Friend Codes and placed on your Friends Rosters. For more information on using Friend Codes to match up online, click here.

In certain games you can also get connected by being "auto-matched." Auto-match goes out and randomly sets you up with any other player who is online and looking to play. This broadens the number of opponents you can be matched against to thousands and thousands of other players around the world. The way auto-match is set up and used is unique for each game. Refer to the manual for the game you're playing for details.

I don't own a wireless router, help me find one!

Nintendo has evaluated several name-brand wireless routers to determine which ones work best with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Click here to view the results of our tests and find out which wireless routers might be right for you.

I don't want to set up a wireless router, can I still play online?

If you don't want to setup a wireless router at home, you can still connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection through a local Hotspot. To find out more about getting connected at a Hotspot, including finding Nintendo's partner Hotspot locations, click here.

If you still want to play at home, but don't want to setup a wireless router, you can purchase the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. This add-on device connects to the USB port on your PC to create a wireless access point. For more information, click here.

Compatible Routers:
routers1sx.jpg

Ironclad

You could also add the DS' MAC address to your router so you wouldn't have to turn off your encryption or enter the key in everytime.

koam

Ironclad_Ninja said:
You could also add the DS' MAC address to your router so you wouldn't have to turn off your encryption or enter the key in everytime.

Would that work with any encryption?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Damn WPA routers are boned I guess? Cuz there's one here for $3.99CAD. Too bad it won't work.

Edit: On second glance, it seems like it provides both WEP and WPA encryption... can anyone confirm that this would work? Cuz I'm totally buying it if it's only $3.99. :)

If I import a white DS am I going to have problems playing wifi multiplayer with friends that have NA systems, or playing NA titles online? I'm not waiting two weeks later for the Mario Kart DS, and I don't like the Silver or Blue at all. Must get Mario Kart.

Gessle

Some more details:
- As in previous versions, you can exchange ghosts (time trial mode) with other players.
- There are 54 mission levels (six levels with 8 missions and a boss level each).
- In balloon battle mode, you have to blow to the microphone to inflate the balloons.
- Each driver has two karts to choose from (don't know if there will be unlockable karts).

koam

Cerebral Palsy said:
If I import a white DS am I going to have problems playing wifi multiplayer with friends that have NA systems, or playing NA titles online? I'm not waiting two weeks later for the Mario Kart DS, and I don't like the Silver or Blue at all. Must get Mario Kart.

No you won't. Just make sure that the Mario Kart cartdridge is a NA one and that your friends have a NA one too.

koam

BorkBork said:
Damn WPA routers are boned I guess? Cuz there's one here for $3.99CAD. Too bad it won't work.

Edit: On second glance, it seems like it provides both WEP and WPA encryption... can anyone confirm that this would work? Cuz I'm totally buying it if it's only $3.99. :)

It will work, wifi routers are backward compatible.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
BorkBork said:

Uh, make sure that router supports 802.11B. Else, the DS nor PSP will get online with it.

koam

olubode said:
Uh, make sure that router supports 802.11B. Else, the DS nor PSP will get online with it.

802.11B support is part of the 802.11G standard. In other words, any router that supports 802.11G is supposed to support 802.11B as well.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
koam said:
802.11B support is part of the 802.11G standard. In other words, any router that supports 802.11G is supposed to support 802.11B as well.
Oh it is? I thought IEEE made them independent of each other. Thanks for the info.

Im in college, and theres university wi-fi. To get on using the PC, I need to start up "Cisco Systems VPN client", and then insert my username and password to acess the network.

Will I be able to play Nintendo DS games, or will I have to but the dongle?

Nick

The only thing this thread really taught me is that I need to pre-order like ASAP. This game is going to be too much fun online. ;___;

Bring on AC DS!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Shamrock7r said:
Can anyone confirm if that picture of Rainbow Road is a new course or one of the retro courses?

It's new. There wasn't a spiral like that in any of the other rainbow roads

koam

jamesinclair said:
Im in college, and theres university wi-fi. To get on using the PC, I need to start up "Cisco Systems VPN client", and then insert my username and password to acess the network.

Will I be able to play Nintendo DS games, or will I have to but the dongle?

I'm not sure if a VPN connection would work, they normally tend to block off almost everything. When I use VPN here though, my other computers can still access the router no problem. I'm not sure if the dongle would behave the same way.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I only found out yesterday that it will also be online GP; 4 players with 4 CPU. Any confirmation of this?

koam

speedpop said:
I only found out yesterday that it will also be online GP; 4 players with 4 CPU. Any confirmation of this?

It's true. There's no battle mode online though which sucks.

Raw64life

koam said:
It's true. There's no battle mode online though which sucks.

Wow didn't know that. No battle mode still sucks, but I always preferred GP over just single races. 4 player online GP is a very nice addition. They haven't even had regular 4 player GP in any of the previous MKs.

Also, how do I go about wrapping my hands around this dongle? Does it come with MK DS or do I have to buy it separately?

Beezy

You gotta buy the dongle seperately I think. I guess they're thinking that not everyone plans to play online, so adding the dongle in the bundle would be a waste.

methodman

Banned
If they added it, a considerable amount of people would play online i bet.

I wonder if they are going to have small ads on the multiplayer page or something, get some cash lol

Raw64life

JavyOO7 said:
Wait wait, what?

4 player online w/ 4 CPU to play in a CUP?

WHAT?

Yea. Mario Kart GP. It has been in every Mario Kart ever. Except in all the other Mario Karts, you could only do a 2 player (with 6 CPUs since there are only 8 karts total) Mario Kart GP. From what people are saying, it looks like you will not only be able to have 4 human players play a MKGP, but you will be able to do it online, which to me is really awesome. For me, it softens the blow of not having online battle mode pretty significantly. I'm going to be pissed if it turns out this is not true.

I doubt there is 2p online GP, seems way too good to be true.

Quick question about the dongle, is USB1 ok, or does it require USB2?

Even if it is a USB 2.0 device, it should work on a USB 1.1 port, just at a slower speed. I don't think it will be an issue, but a USB 2.0 port would be ideal :)

koam

Wait, shit. I didn't see the "GP" in there, i thought you were talking abour regular races. Sorry to get your hopes up guys, I don't know if GP is 4 players or not. I have read something about the online modes though while i was tracking down my info for this thread, i'll see if i can find it.

Great news guys, I didn't get the GP answer but I did stumble upon this bit of info from EGM:

"And though battle mode wasn't playable online, word is it should be for the final release."

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
koam said:
"And though battle mode wasn't playable online, word is it should be for the final release."
Interesting. Whilst IMO Battle Mode has not been good since the Super Mario Kart, it'll still be a good addition.

speedpop said:
Interesting. Whilst IMO Battle Mode has not been good since the Super Mario Kart, it'll still be a good addition.

What really bugs me is that they only need to put the orignal mario kart snes battle mode arenas in there and we're all set.....i think many pple fail to see is that the snes mario kart arenas are great because of the limitations of the mode7 engines, in that we could always see where the opponend was since there were no 3d objects where you could hide.......thats what makes the mario kart double dash cookie arena the best of the bunch. you can also see where the opponent is without wasting too much time searching in the map.....

speedpop said:

I wonder how having 8 people will make things better....

Itll liven up Block City from the N64, since that thing is so big.

Also, from the video, it seems dead people become bombs again...

koam

Bluemercury said:
What really bugs me is that they only need to put the orignal mario kart snes battle mode arenas in there and we're all set.....i think many pple fail to see is that the snes mario kart arenas are great because of the limitations of the mode7 engines, in that we could always see where the opponend was since there were no 3d objects where you could hide.......thats what makes the mario kart double dash cookie arena the best of the bunch. you can also see where the opponent is without wasting too much time searching in the map.....

While I did really like the snes ones, I'm not sure I agree. The block world one in MK64 was fantastic. Hide & Seek is fun :)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i couldn't be more excited for this game - online nintendo gaming is like a dream come true.. i hope they pull it off well

i agree on the snes battle tracks too - nothing like shooting out into the 'courtyard' of battle course 2 and curving a shell around as you drift back to safety :D

If i was to talk about the time i had playing mario kart snes battle mode i think i would stay here all day/night. Just one thing i've discovered playing in the snes version battle mode that i dont think manny pple know about. You could actually create a "solar system" in the battle mode. This was because of the many behaviour details that the red shells had that werent in the other mario karts. In the snes they would imediately start following the opponent but in curvilinear manner if the opponent wasnt in direct sight, because of this sometimes you had to place the kart in a position where you had to calculate the trajectory of the shell to avoid the walls.:lol Its true, one day one of my friends went to the bathroom and we pause the game, but while he was taking his time, i managed to put several red shells going around him like if he was the sun and the red shells the planets, i managed to put 4 or 5 red shells moving around him in the central area of the arenas......he only had to acelerate a little and then the sun would go down.....in a shocking manner :D
Those were fun times.....we played so much the damn game that we couldnt touch the cartridge or the game would crash....

jman2050

Good, now Leondexter can shut up XD

I still maintain battle mode was the worst aspect of Mario Kart, but this should make most people happy.

demi

TekunoRobby said:
What a fantastic game this one is shaping out to be, I can't wait to race online with the lot of you.

That sounds very good and convincing up until the part where you're going to LOSE.

Bluemercury said:
If i was to talk about the time i had playing mario kart snes battle mode i think i would stay here all day/night. Just one thing i've discovered playing in the snes version battle mode that i dont think manny pple know about. You could actually create a "solar system" in the battle mode. This was because of the many behaviour details that the red shells had that werent in the other mario karts. In the snes they would imediately start following the opponent but in curvilinear manner if the opponent wasnt in direct sight, because of this sometimes you had to place the kart in a position where you had to calculate the trajectory of the shell to avoid the walls.:lol Its true, one day one of my friends went to the bathroom and we pause the game, but while he was taking his time, i managed to put several red shells going around him like if he was the sun and the red shells the planets, i managed to put 4 or 5 red shells moving around him in the central area of the arenas......he only had to acelerate a little and then the sun would go down.....in a shocking manner :D
Those were fun times.....we played so much the damn game that we couldnt touch the cartridge or the game would crash....

Thats very cool. I do remember being 8 and calculating my red shell shots so that they wouldnt hit walls.

One thing I didnt like about SMK was the memory limtation. You could only lay so many bananas until the old ones disapeared...

Deku

Banned
Is battlemode on-line confirmed or just a bunch of rumors at this point? Last time Konno said anything about it, at E3, he said it wasn't supported. But that will be 6 months by the time MK DS makes it out.

mutsu

Does anyone know if the Apple's AirPort Express will work for the WiFi connection? Theoritically it should be a wireless router, but can only one confirm that?

Top Bottom