• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker will let you create Mario 3 and Mario World style levels.

ReyVGM

No one has posted this yet? Weird.

Announced on the game awards show just now.

On top of Mario 1 and New Mario style levels, you will also be able to create Mario 3 and Mario World style levels.

Press release:

The public got its first look at Mario Maker for Wii U during the E3 video game trade show in June, and new details about the game, which lets users create their own Mario levels, were announced at The Game Awards. This includes the ability to tap the Wii U GamePad screen to change the look of the level design to a number of classic styles, including Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U. Each style includes game mechanics unique to the original game, such as ground-pound or wall-jump maneuvers. Players can integrate these mechanics into designs for the various titles featured in the game. This game will launch in 2015, which will be the 30th anniversary of the original Super Mario Bros. game.

q4bvgU6.gif

ya48WD.gif

Mario Maker Wii U Trailer The Game Awards 2014:

http://youtu.be/CMibys2F2L4

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Whoa. Cool. Gonna have a lot of fun with this.

AdanVC

Mario Maker looking so SO good! Freaking glad there's Super Mario World and SMB 3 assets. Also, did you guys hear those new songs while playing the levels?? Is Koji Kondo composing new songs for this game??? So fucking cool if yes!!

Oh, er... I didn't realise that was new to Mario Maker. The weight behind this announcement suddenly makes a lot more sense.

As for the footage itself, the game looks both authentic and fantastic. If Nintendo embraces community-sharing and showcasing, it could be a really remarkable and long-lasting product.

I remain optimistic.

daydream

Banned
It's not much of a surprise, really. They've confirmed alternate skins/tilesets aside from SMB and NSMB shortly after the game was announced.

Still cool, though. SMW tiles will basically make it a thoroughly streamlined Lunar Magic. Really looking forward to this!

We can also see that the New Super Mario Bros. U setting is not just a re-skin without any of the NSMBU physics, because we can clearly see Mario wall jumping.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This was an amazing announcement. So ready to have endless Super Mario World-levels to play!

steveovig

So is this officially going to be the greatest game of all-time for anyone else besides me? This better have download/upload features but I imagine it will. Can't wait for this.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
For some reason, I thought we already saw footage of the SMW theme. The SMB3 theme instantly got me hype again though.

daydream

Banned
So is this officially going to be the greatest game of all-time for anyone else besides me? This better have download/upload features but I imagine it will. Can't wait for this.

Nope, I'll be all over this if the sharing aspect (which has long been confirmed, btw) is handled well - aka way, WAY better than in something like Pushmo World.

maxcriden

We can also see that the New Super Mario Bros. U setting is not just a re-skin without any of the NSMBU physics, because we can clearly see Mario wall jumping.

Ah yes, good point. I suppose there will be a consistent physics engine though (?) which could allow wall-jumping in prior SMB games.

Too bad it will still be Mario 1 physics I bet.

Wall-jumping means this will have its own set of physics at the least.

braves01

Banned
Hopefully there are some dev-made stages and challenges included in Mario Maker. Some of the stuff they showed in the trailer looked awesome.

OmegaDL50

I like how you can customize things like make Cannons fire coins and make wood blocks breakable like bricks.

This kind of stuff wasn't possible with Lunar Magic as it was still bound within the limitations preset of the engine utilized in Super Mario Allstars + World.

IF they can polish up the physics and make SMB3 feel actually like SMB3 and SMW feel actually like SMW, then this could go down as one of the greatest create-and-share type platformer titles of all time.

And for heaven's sake Nintendo please don't force custom levels to have a extremely strict block placement / max objects per level restriction.

I just hope sharing levels is possible. Being able make them is one thing, but not being to share them would be a terrible shame.

maxcriden

Hopefully there are some dev-made stages and challenges included in Mario Maker. Some of the stuff they showed in the trailer looked awesome.

I'm hoping for dev-made stages. I feel like we'll get a solid number of those and potentially challenges as well. I really loved the Challenges Mode in NSMBU.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope that the top rated user created levels aren't just crap filled with hazards and people design proper platforming levels.

Assuming the level sharing works like the Trials games, which it should at the very least.

Top Bottom