• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle review thread

Peterthumpa

This game looks absolutely gorgeous.

I'm getting a 2 second stutter every 4 minutes or so, kind of annoying. Bought via eShop, already restarted my Switch. Haven't seem reviews complaining about this so I wonder why.

mauaus

I'm getting a 2 second stutter every 4 minutes or so, kind of annoying. Bought via eShop, already restarted my Switch. Haven't seem reviews complaining about this so I wonder why.

What Eshop released it already and at what price?

Yep I am sold, after some reviews from people I trust and now watching more impressions I think I will buy it on the Eshop tomorrow.

weekev

Banned

Gamexplain said they were getting slowdown on their copy even in cutscenes. Sounds patchable.

Interesting. Haven't seen anyone else mention it. I do hope we get a Digital Foundry analysis.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Did you apply game's day-0 update?

Should be an easy million seller, IMO. Switch software has been selling well, it has Mario on it, and it's reviewed well. Ubisoft is also willing to slash prices to move software if needed, but I don't think that will be required here.

Also, Rabbids are huge in some parts of Europe. Like, absolutely massive.

The fact that this game is good, plus all the above factors you mention and some great social marketing = a lot of people are going to be very surprised at how well this game will sell.

Karkador

Banned
Xcom is a great game but too challenging/stressful/random for me to have the patience for.

If this is like Xcom but a touch easier, I'll be all in.

The Xcom comparisons only go so far, because MarioRabbids doesn't have the macro layer on top, with base management and leveling up squads that get wiped out anyway. I do agree it's easier than Xcom, but that doesn't really describe how/why.

First of all, there's no permadeath; Mario and Friends are just gonna faint, not get exploded. However, you don't usually get health refills in a chapter, so you have to try to maintain HP through a number of stages (usually like 3 or 4 in a chapter)

There's the same concept of moving around the grid between half and full cover, just like Xcom, but they add fun things like Rushing (it's like a physical tackle), Team Jumps, and Stomps.

In my time with the game, I'd say a lot of the puzzle has been in figuring out how to effectively use my turns to deal the most damage. There's optimal sequences to rushing/jumping/stomping/shooting that need to be planned out.

While Xcom infamously has crazy probabilities (you somehow miss on a 99% hit chance), this game rightfully 'dumbs' it down a little to 0/50/100% to make the hits more reliable, so you can focus on the sequence of events.

I'm on World 2, and though I've only gotten a couple of game overs, I have certainly faced some challenges that have taught me how to play better.

Maiar_m

No EZA review?

Damiani is on it, the script has been handed to Brandon yesterday I think, so it should be coming up soon-ish.

Edit: Actually, Damiani on Twitter didn't say who he handed the script off to, it might be Bloodworth, so VO and production might not have started yet. Still, a review is coming from them.

I'm noticing a trend with game reviewers where they don't talk about what is effective and why, or what worked for them, and instead give a rundown of everything the game includes. This is kinda annoying because, when you follow a game, you already know a lot of the information that reviewers are communicating. It almost defeats the purpose of them getting the game and playing it early when I could write 90% of these things before even playing the game.

N30RYU

Yep, already on the latest version. It's not slowdown too, the game literally stops for 2 to 3 seconds.

To answer the other questions, bought it via Australian eShop, 89 AUD.
try and redownload it. maybe you got it wrote on top of some corrupted data in your SD

Peterthumpa

try and redownload it. maybe you got it wrote on top of some corrupted data in your SD
Good call, although I'm not sure if that will make any difference. Doing it right now. Strange thing is that all sound effects still play, and when the game starts responding again, it kind of "fast forward" the 2 or 3 seconds it lost while it was frozen.

Including Taxes?
Yep, aussie prices always include taxes.

mauaus

Good call, although I'm not sure if that will make any difference. Doing it right now. Strange thing is that all sound effects still play, and when the game starts responding again, it kind of "fast forward" the 2 or 3 seconds it lost while it was frozen.

Yep, aussie prices always include taxes.
Nice! So it's basically 60 usd right?

papusman

Neo Member
I'm noticing a trend with game reviewers where they don't talk about what is effective and why, or what worked for them, and instead give a rundown of everything the game includes. This is kinda annoying because, when you follow a game, you already know a lot of the information that reviewers are communicating. It almost defeats the purpose of them getting the game and playing it early when I could write 90% of these things before even playing the game.

Yes! It's like back in school, when you had to write a book report, the teacher would say "don't just repeat what happened in the book." You're supposed to actually dissect it- themes, character arcs. What did you like or not?

So many game reviewers just tell you what the game is and then slap a number on it.

"Mario x Rabbids is a turn based strategy game with Mario and Rabbids. 8/10."

Interesting. Haven't seen anyone else mention it. I do hope we get a Digital Foundry analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1Iz8FcW5k&feature=youtu.be&t=498

Mentions slowdown "with the game even appearing to freeze up for a few seconds at a time before resuming."

I wonder if he's talking about two different things there. I don't consider a several-second freeze to be slowdown.

Trend? That's how game reviews have always been. If anything, reviews were even more like shallow checklists in previous generations.

Peterthumpa

Nice! So it's basically 60 usd right?
Yep.

Also, deleting and redownloading the game had no effect on my stuttering issue. Even archived 2 games hoping that the new download would be copied somewhere else inside the SD card to really eliminate a card issue, but no dice. Never had any problem with any other game before.

Oh well. It's annoying but at least not so frequent. Hopefully a patch should solve it.

stupei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1Iz8FcW5k&feature=youtu.be&t=498

Mentions slowdown "with the game even appearing to freeze up for a few seconds at a time before resuming."

I wonder if he's talking about two different things there. I don't consider a several-second freeze to be slowdown.

Sometimes it seems to hitch loading into combat when I'm playing it on my TV, but I haven't noticed that at all in handheld mode. (Not certain the patch downloaded, though. I should check when I get home.)

Peterthumpa

Top Bottom