• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario shows up at Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

Ratrat

Haha. In the 90's to early 2000 eras, Indonesia had been a junkies for all Japanese products lol. We watch all their anime, till now had so many manga localized every week, follow their J-Drama and love their J-Pop lol. It is around 2004 or 2005, Indonesia is kinda burn out of Japanese product. It is also a few year in the future, Korean boom happened so now a days, Japan drama had been quite rare to show up on our television channel. At least, manga and anime are still alive.^_^

It is also probably because Indonesia biggest investor had been japanese lol. And also, JKT 48 also exist in Indonesia lol. And it is also official from the AKB 48 producer group.^_^
Its always interesting to hear how different manga/animes are popular in different regions. At least Doraemon is good!
lol JKT48. Are they popular?

Doraemon is HUUUUGE in Asia. They did a 100 Doraemon tour around Asian cities a few years ago, it was amazeballs.

100-doraemon.jpg
Superior to the Pikachu parade.

Yudoken

Missed opportunity to show Ryu vs Ken doing karate in the video.

Otherwise I thought it was a really well done ceremony.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The video was very cool, and I'm pretty excited to see what Japan has planned for the 2020 Games. Unfortunately though, equating Mario with Shinzo Abe has ruined the character forever. Good thing I was never much of a Mario fan to begin with. Just gross.

Is there something I should know about the Prime Minister of Japan?

Nezzhil

My brother still doesn't belive this scene. Mario and Doraemon were is favourite characters when we were kids. Fun times.

I felt the same too.

Mario is one of the famous things Japan has made. JOC probably asked to let them use it.
Nintendo might be even earning some money out of it to let them use it.
Its probably famous than any other characters including various animes Japan has made.
Like that blue cat Doraemon that also appeared, which isn't probably popular other than in Japan.
I've heard its been shown in Asia and in the US, but I've never heard of it being popular.
Mario definitely worth featuring in 2020.

Doraemon was really huge in the late 80s and the 90s in Europe too (or at least in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy and some more countries). Even today, you can see Doraemon on almost any TV channel with progamming for kids, on full-time cartoon tv channels, and any magazine or other products related to the kids.

Spladam

I don't see what all the hoopla is about, I was not that impressed with this. Though it is interesting that Nintendo and it's characters have become so synonymous with Japanese culture and Japan in general, it's a far cry from "back in the day". Japan needs more hobbies.

Was Capitan Todd there?
Sadly no, he's just a bit to ethnic for the presentation if you know what I mean. El Capitan.

Nintendo should have revealed the NX at E3, so that they could have avoid the situation they're in now. Where Nintendo is left without a new product to promote, despite going to all the trouble of appearing at Rio. Lot's of effort on Nintendo's part with nothing to gain in the end, thanks to the mistake they made by delaying the reveal of the NX.
Really dude? Just want to find an excuse to bitch about that? They did not "go through all the trouble of appearing", the organizers of the presentation asked Nintendo to borrow the character, and just approved the presentation with them, Nintendo just got free promotion.

Makonero

So Kintor was trolling? I see he caught a ban. Hm.

I dont understand why NBC hasn't put up a clip of this yet, it's baffling

Ok Japan I'll allow Pokémon and Mario BUT NO ANIME AND WAIFUS ARE WE CLEAR.

Every single Olympic sport will get its own waifu anime spokeswoman. This is a place that turns operating systems into busty anime ladies.

Get ready for Tennis-chan, Glasses-glad Shooting-chan, probably-underage Gymnastics-chan, and don't forget twins Ping-chan and Pong-chan.

KingBroly

Banned
I really loved the RIO > MARIO thing. It's like 'of course. It's so obvious' but something you only figure out after they do it.

Maybe it won't booster Mario's mindshare like Pokemon Go did, but it's definitely noteworthy.

Now Nintendo just has to apply the logic they're doing with those 2 IP's to other ones.

rip in pieces kintor

btw is there video for the stuff that's after abe appeared in the stadium? I heard ppl talking about how Super Mario music is played at the end of the presentation

Ferr986

Every single Olympic sport will get its own waifu anime spokeswoman. This is a place that turns operating systems into busty anime ladies.

Get ready for Tennis-chan, Glasses-glad Shooting-chan, probably-underage Gymnastics-chan, and don't forget twins Ping-chan and Pong-chan.

lol It's so going to happen.

Cuburt

What are the chances of Mario and Sonic being the mascots of the 2020 Olympics?

Seems too fun an opportunity to pass up now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I felt the same too.

Mario is one of the famous things Japan has made. JOC probably asked to let them use it.
Nintendo might be even earning some money out of it to let them use it.
Its probably famous than any other characters including various animes Japan has made.
Like that blue cat Doraemon that also appeared, which isn't probably popular other than in Japan.
I've heard its been shown in Asia and in the US, but I've never heard of it being popular.
Mario definitely worth featuring in 2020.

Doremon and hello kitty are very famous in Asia. Its one of those long lasting icons from Japan

Oersted

Full video for people like me who couldn't watch it yet :

https://streamable.com/mh3w
(from reddit)

Where can we see the full clip?

There you go

Pokemon GO is dying off right? I don't see anyone playing that shit in NYC anymore lol

This is just desperate

Doremon and hello kitty are very famous in Asia. Its one of those long lasting icons from Japan

Hello Kitty is also quite famous outside Asia

Top Bottom