• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marisa Tomei to Play Aunt May in New ‘Spider-Man’ Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Everything about that comic from the damn covers to the message it was sending to little girls was a fucking trainwreck.

It was dark time at marvel

Marville_Vol_1_2.jpg

Chuckie

I shouldnt wanna bang Aunt May lol

Hasnt she always been old in the comics?

Yeah but come to think of it... hasn't she been a bit TOO old in the comics?

Peter is going to high school and somehow his aunt got more wrinkles than my great grandmother.

Dont-do-it-Aunt-May.jpg

Ethan Hawke and Marisa Tomei would be great. I wonder if hawke would be up for it

after boyhood i want to see him play a dad again, he was so great in that.

kswiston

Yeah but come to think of it... hasn't she been a bit TOO old in the comics?

Peter is going to high school and somehow his aunt got more wrinkles than my great grandmother.

Dont-do-it-Aunt-May.jpg

Ya. Even if Peter's mom was 40 when he was born, Aunt May would have to be her senior by about 20 years to match how she was depicted in comics.

Jigorath

Banned
Some of the complaints on twitter make no sense. Apparently a 50 year old Aunt May is too old for a 15 year old Peter?

NotLiquid

Casting a younger Aunt May isn't really a problem. The problem is Rosemary Harris set the bar so high that it'd be hard for anyone to trump it. I'd like to think that the idea of making her "old" had a lot more to do with her just being wise and understanding. She's incredibly sympathetic and is basically the heart of the original movies, as well as much of Spider-Man as a whole (hell, Green Goblin even spells that out for us in the first movie). There's a good reason why she's usually the one who manages to get Peter back on track in the movies. This scene is still GOAT.

Sally Field was a pretty good actress all things considered and admittedly having a younger Aunt May (particularly for a high-school level Spidey) makes much more sense, but it was so awkward to see her potential squandered in the reboot by not doing much with her and having Peter basically tread all over her own needs - which hilariously enough are similarly poorly defined.

Younger Aunt May is a reasonable idea but they're going to have to take a lot of notes from the general disposition and behavior of Harris' performance if they want to make the character be an important fixture. Admittedly though, the Raimi movies kind of struck gold with May not just by having a good performance but because her being old meant that it lent her a lot of innate sympathy. While this choice generally makes much more sense in an in-universe perspective, it means they're going to have to work a little bit harder.

Casting a younger Aunt May isn't really a problem. The problem is Rosemary Harris set the bar so high that it'd be hard for anyone to trump it. I'd like to think that the idea of making her "old" had a lot more to do with her just being wise and understanding. She's incredibly sympathetic and is basically the heart of the original movies, as well as much of Spider-Man as a whole (hell, Green Goblin even spells that out for us in the first movie). There's a good reason why she's usually the one who manages to get Peter back on track in the movies. This scene is still GOAT.

Sally Field was a pretty good actress all things considered and admittedly having a younger Aunt May (particularly for a high-school level Spidey) makes much more sense, but it was so awkward to see her potential squandered in the reboot by not doing much with her and having Peter basically tread all over her own needs - which hilariously enough are similarly poorly defined.

Younger Aunt May is a reasonable idea but they're going to have to take a lot of notes from the general disposition and behavior of Harris' performance if they want to make the character be an important fixture. Admittedly though, the Raimi movies kind of struck gold with May not just by having a good performance but because her being old meant that it lent her a lot of innate sympathy. While this choice generally makes much more sense in an in-universe perspective, it means they're going to have to work a little bit harder.

I don't think it was JJJ levels of accolade to be honest, you overstate how much she contributed to those films.

Garlador

You know, I'm kinda happy that there are a lot of people out there saying a 50 year old woman can't play Aunt May because she's too young and too beautiful.

Rock on, you hot 50's actresses.

Classic Aunt May is elderly and fragile and near living in a nursing home.

But whatever. It's a movie.

I was never a fan of Aunt May's portrayal in the older 616 books. This is a woman who helped raise a boy genius and she often came off as totally clueless and unable to do much on her own. More recent depictions as well as her Ultimate version are a better basis for a modern movie IMO.

NotLiquid

I don't think it was JJJ levels of accolade to be honest, you overstate how much she contributed to those films.

Remove Aunt May from the Raimi movies and you remove a lot of heart. That's hardly overstating things. The lack of a good JJJ in the Amazing movies might have robbed a good source of comedy, but the inclusion of a wasted Aunt May robbed those movies of a homely sense of cohesion, especially when she's supposed to be something of a driving force for Peter. She's the personified reminder of the guilt Peter has, and in spite of her being the character that has lost the most, she's ultimately more concerned about her nephew and is simultaneously a reminder for him that life finds a way beyond the tragedies.

If anything I think you're understating what she added to those films. The presence of her alone practically had Peter snap out of his vengeful phase a lot quicker and understand the value of Ben's words in the first movie, while in TASM she's basically just a background character that does nothing to prevent prolonging Peter's grief phase until a random action scene. It isn't even until the second movie's finale that she does anything remotely useful.

Wow that really was a good scene

Kevinroc

Classic Aunt May knew too. Some of the best Aunt May scenes happened after she found out.

And then One More Day happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom