• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny platinumed Returnal

hemo memo

Gold Member
Platinum trophies don't necessarily represent how good of a gamer you are or how much time you spend playing video games. You can keep picking super easy platinums and have 100+ of them and you can play big & tough games and only have a few plats in your collection.

I'm slowly moving away from trophy hunting myself. The grind to get the last few trophies is too much in most games while there are other untouched games I could be playing in the meantime.
Looking at Cerny list I would say that’s an impressive time dedication. He surely (based on that list) plays more than the average GAF member and surely because of his position, he has way less free time also.

I remember him talking about this stuff a while ago and he said that he likes to 100% because it teaches him about what the team that made the game are doing which he belives helps him in his current role.
If you read about his early development/consultant he likes playing good games and he always seems to have enjoyed pulling things apart to see how they're made and learning from that so it makes a lot of sense really. I'm not sure if it's a common thing for executives to do but it does very much seem to be a part of who he's been.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

rPa4rZq.gif

ibqypxxeo2ndlva4bhl.gif

sublimit

Banned
giphy.gif

I'm sure he did...and i'm the Pope of Rome.

Coming up next: Phil Spencer speedruns Sekiro in 20 minutes. Of course you will not see him playing it but that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

McCheese

Nope. Even him couldn’t go through that. But he got Bugsnax platinum tho.

Pretty sure he has the astrobot one too which is missing off that list.
giphy.gif

Coming up next: Phil Spencer speedruns Sekiro in 20 minutes. Of course you will not see him playing it but that doesn't matter.

Cerny is a legit nerd, his entire work history has been videogames, he worked on sonic fucking 2, created marble madness, architected two generations of console.

Phil is a suit with a PR team telling him what t-shirt to wear under it.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

No knack platinum?

He probably played Knack on a dev kit or something, idk. He says it wasn't fun, lol.

"What about Knack 1 and 2? These are two games you helped create."

"These are worth pointing out. I play my own games to get the Platinum because I want to know what the experience is like. For Knack, it was not very enjoyable getting the Platinum. It pops out randomly. The time commitment isn’t bad, but the random nature of things makes it just brutal. We fixed that for Knack II."

That is a man who know to organize time very well.

"First thing, I’m so busy that I’m usually playing games two years behind. This year I finally played God of War. I really enjoyed it. By the time I get to a new game, it’s a known thing."

After you input the dev copy cheat code, sure.

Cerny, 56, has picked up 33 Platinum Trophies on PlayStation 4. A few of these Platinums are gimmies that are automatically unlocked by finishing a game, but most took considerable time, effort, and skill. He’s currently pursuing Platinum number 34 in the brutally difficult Cuphead.

"I guess I want to take on the biggest possible challenge. It is a flashback to the arcades. I want to play it on regular, hard, and then beat it on the hardest. In the arcades, we’d build skills on those games for six months to a year."

"On PlayStation 3, I didn’t get any Trophies. I did most of my playing then prior to launch on my dev kit, so I don’t have much of a visible history on PlayStation 3."

"For me, the way it started was Resogun, which is basically Defender. That’s where I started getting into the Trophies. I was like, “I might be able to get the Platinum.” I was in the top 10 on the international leaderboards for some of the categories. I got confidence from that."

"The other thing, the number-two guy on [PlayStation] hardware is a guy at Naughty Dog, and we got into a competition. He had eight Platinum Trophies, and I had six. I’m still losing seven years later, but I’m still proud of where I’m at with 33 Platinums. He’s at 40 something. We still give each other crap about it. He got a Platinum in Job Simulator. Now how hard is that? [laughs] In his defense, he wasn’t even going for it – it just popped up – so he says."

sublimit

Banned
Pretty sure he has the astrobot one too which is missing off that list.

Cerny is a legit nerd, his entire work history has been videogames, he worked on sonic fucking 2, created marble madness, architected two generations of console.

Phil is a suit with a PR team telling him what t-shirt to wear under it.
I don't doubt that Cerny is much more of a gamer than the marketing puppet that is Spencer but if you think that a man of his position and his responsibilities has the time to platinum games like Returnal you are fooling yourselves.

kyliethicc

1.3% Platinum? - That's without a doubt one of the toughest to get.
Any game over 1% on PS4/5 is not that rare of a platinum.

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4 is 0.1%.
GTA 5 on PS4 is 0.1%.
GT Sport is 0.1%.
Street Fighter 5 is 0.1%.
Project Cars is 0.1%.
Assetto Corsa is 0.1%.
Fall Guys is 0.1%.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare is 0.3%.
Civ 6 on PS4 is 0.3%.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 is 0.4%.
The Last of Us Remastered is 0.4%. (** I have this one.)
Driveclub is 0.5%.
Rise of Tomb Raider is 0.5%.
Knack is 0.6%.
Helldivers is 0.6%.
Uncharted 4 is 0.7%. (I got this one too.)
Nex Machina is 0.7%.
Metal Gear Solid 5 is 0.8%.

Just some I can find. Lots of popular games have less than 1% platinum rate.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Any game over 1% on PS4/5 is not that rare of a platinum.

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4 is 0.1%.
GTA 5 on PS4 is 0.1%.
GT Sport is 0.1%.
Street Fighter 5 is 0.1%.
Project Cars is 0.1%.
Assetto Corsa is 0.1%.
Fall Guys is 0.1%.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare is 0.3%.
Civ 6 on PS4 is 0.3%.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 is 0.4%.
The Last of Us Remastered is 0.4%. (** I have this one.)
Driveclub is 0.5%.
Rise of Tomb Raider is 0.5%.
Knack is 0.6%.
Helldivers is 0.6%.
Uncharted 4 is 0.7%. (I got this one too.)
Nex Machina is 0.7%.
Metal Gear Solid 5 is 0.8%.

Just some I can find. Lots of popular games have less than 1% platinum rate.
Comparing platinum rarity can be tricky, because with games that launched recently and are more niche (like Returnal) they're bought mostly by the fans of the genre so the completion percentages are higher than usual and they don't necessarily reflect their difficulty.

Also with a lot of the popular games the platinums are extremely rare because of the multiplayer trophies and having to devote a lot of time to pointless griding or NG+ playthroughs.

Last edited:

Kilau

Did you see his platinum trophies list?
-Returnal
-Demon’s Souls
-The Pathless
-Cuphead
-Ghost of Tsushima
-The Last of Us Part II
-God of War
-Control
-Marvel’s Spider-Man
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Gravity Rush Remastered
-Ratchet and Clank
-The Witness
-Until Dawn
-inFamous First Light
-Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
-Wolfenstein: The New Order
-Transistor
-inFamous Second Son
-Resogun
- Fucking ROCKET LEAUGE
I hadn’t seen the list but it’s quality, all good games with some legit difficult plats.

Not a single Ratalaika game :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Birdo

Banned
I've never understood the appeal of playing crap games just to get an easy platinum.

EDIT: I'm not specifically talking about this game. I mean in general.

EDIT 2: Or am I?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I've never understood the appeal of playing crap games just to get an easy platinum.

EDIT: I'm not specifically talking about this game. I mean in general.

EDIT 2: Or am I?
It's an addiction and some devs exploit that by selling very cheap games (costing a few €) which have platinums obtainable in around 20-30 minutes.

Moonjt9

I see Cerny too struggled with the infamous rare biome 6 cipher. My platinum has the exact same screenshot lmao.

always love seeing him post about his trophies. Cerny is a badass gamer genius.

Urban

giphy.gif

u can literally just google for his PSN profile and can see his Platin trophies

dont be so ignorant. Just accept the fact that he is a better player than you.

SSfox

I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I have 5 platinum. 35 is not more hardcore, it's more completist. If not, you couldn't be a hardcore gamer before trophies were implemented? So, if you play now the Ghost & Ghouls remake and get the platinum you are a hardcore, but if, as myself, you played the original at release with no platinum involved are you a casual?

Platinum is a time consuming. I prefer to play more games than grinding to achieve a trophie.
Absolutely, having more platiniums doesn't make somebody more hardcore than someone who have less platinum. You can play 1 game in 3 years and you can still be hardcore, it depends.

Platinum are cool as long as I'm having fun. Unlike some kill 100 pigeons in gta4.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
He has an impressive list. The only platinum I have is Nier Automata because they let you buy all the trophies at the end :messenger_grinning_squinting: Most games always have a small amount of annoying sounding trophies so I never bother.

Max_Po

Banned
Absolutely, having more platiniums doesn't make somebody more hardcore than someone who have less platinum. You can play 1 game in 3 years and you can still be hardcore, it depends.

Platinum are cool as long as I'm having fun. Unlike some kill 100 pigeons in gta4.

The difference is Cuphead and this requires skill... not a trophy guide....

VN1X

Banned
I'm actually amazed GAF manages to turn a bit of lighthearted news, where someone high up the foodchain in the industry platinumed a rather difficult game, into a console-warring-hardcore-gamer--gatekeeping-pissing-match. Well done!

"Nuh-uh! He only has X amount of platinum trophies and some of which aren't even in the 0,0001 percentile range!!! what a fucking loser amirite boys?!?!?"

I'm not saying we should all suck his dick but lord some of you are insufferable lol.

MrS

Banned
I'm actually amazed GAF manages to turn a bit of lighthearted news, where someone high up the foodchain in the industry platinumed a rather difficult game, into a console-warring-hardcore-gamer--gatekeeping-pissing-match. Well done!

"Nuh-uh! He only has X amount of platinum trophies and some of which aren't even in the 0,0001 percentile range!!! what a fucking loser amirite boys?!?!?"

I'm not saying we should all suck his dick but lord some of you are insufferable lol.
The only hard trophies in Returnal are the stupid collectables. The game is easy if you have a modicum of skill. The Nex Machina platinum was much more fun to get because the trophies were all skill based.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Congrats to Mark.

This game isn't hard. You just have to take your time and figure out which guns and perks work for you. The only time I've had trouble is when I'm using a gun I'm not good with to unlock a perk on it, or if I'm going too crazy with malignancy.

All of these people who think it's so unbelievable or that he must have cheated are hilarious.

Returnal is really fun and if you can get over yourself that Sony published it and whatever issues you have with money, it's worth checking out. Definitely play on an HDR set when you do.

35 platinums is impressive, I feel like I play a lot and only have 16. Still working on Returnal, just need more xenoglyphs in the later biomes.

Rat Rage

You guys really believe this dude is busy? What did he do for the PS5? He traveled around the world, asking devs want feature they want to have for a PS4 successor. They told him a SSD would be helpful. AMD designed the most important parts of the console. The Sony engineers did the rest probably (cooling and stuff, yet they couldn't even put qualilty capacitors in that thing that don't whine). That's it.

Of course the man has a lot of time to platinium games.

Last edited:
You guys really believe this dude is bussy? What did he do for the PS5? He traveled around the world, asking devs want feature they want to have for a PS4 successor. They told him a SSD would be helpful. AMD designed the most important parts of the console. The Sony engineers did the rest probably (cooling and stuff, yet they couldn't even put qualilty capacitors in that thing that don't whine). That's it.

Of course the man has a lot of time to platinium games.

Retard alert.gif

Top Bottom