• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny platinumed Returnal

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wow. How can he find the time? That is insane time management that he can platinum this game with someone at his position. Unless he got “very early access” ofcourse.
It’s social advertising, more than likely what happened is one of the interns was told to write a post to make all the wee little gamers squeal and promote the game indirectly, so they had that trophy unlocked, put it on his account and bobs your uncle.

Jaysen

Banned
1.3% Platinum? - That's without a doubt one of the toughest to get.
I did it by basically playing the game…poorly. It was easy. It’s only so low because most good players won’t get the full level completion trophies because they didn’t have to play them over and over to advance like bad players do.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
u can literally just google for his PSN profile and can see his Platin trophies

dont be so ignorant. Just accept the fact that he is a better player than you.

Wow, man! Thanks for sharing. Just read what's under his PSN name:

image.png

jakinov

I'm not necessarily doubting him, but I do wonder. His job must be pretty busy. where does he find the time to platinum all these games? I barely have the time to clear them lol.
He’s an architect and the lead one which means he does little of the work that would normally lead to overtime. He’s also at super high up role in a california based tech company meaning he makes a shit ton of money. Money means that he can get more food delivered, get maids to come scrub his house clean, roombas,run his dishwasher all the time, get his groceries delivered, get someone else to remove the weeds and cut the grass, etc.

SLB1904

Banned
If you enjoy throwing money away, more power to you. You'd be foolish to buy PlayStation titles full price because two months later they're 50% off, unlike Nintendo who don't devalue their brand.

There's a sucker born every minute, and Sony knows that.
tenor.gif

Edit: adding context.
So I had 30 hours of uninterrupted gameplay, top notch graphics and cinematics. For 70(which I paid 48, guess I'm not as sucker as you think)
And you trying to praise Nintendo with overpriced products. Dude labo was 60 bucks. A fucking cardboard box.
Get a grip

Last edited:
I don't doubt that Cerny is much more of a gamer than the marketing puppet that is Spencer but if you think that a man of his position and his responsibilities has the time to platinum games like Returnal you are fooling yourselves.
Spencer literally streamed and played people live for years. Same with Nelson.

Mattrick on the other hand...

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
You guys really believe this dude is busy? What did he do for the PS5? He traveled around the world, asking devs want feature they want to have for a PS4 successor. They told him a SSD would be helpful. AMD designed the most important parts of the console. The Sony engineers did the rest probably (cooling and stuff, yet they couldn't even put qualilty capacitors in that thing that don't whine). That's it.

Of course the man has a lot of time to platinium games.

He’s an architect and the lead one which means he does little of the work that would normally lead to overtime. He’s also at super high up role in a california based tech company meaning he makes a shit ton of money. Money means that he can get more food delivered, get maids to come scrub his house clean, roombas,run his dishwasher all the time, get his groceries delivered, get someone else to remove the weeds and cut the grass, etc.

Does jakinov jakinov and Rat Rage Rat Rage think the world disappears when they close their eyes?

If you enjoy throwing money away, more power to you. You'd be foolish to buy PlayStation titles full price because two months later they're 50% off, unlike Nintendo who don't devalue their brand.

Nice profile pic MoreJRPG MoreJRPG

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine loving video games your whole life, working hard for years to get into said industry only to help it excel as much as possible, and then some jackasses on a not so known gaming forum have the audacity to claim your gaming accomplishments are fake and fraudulent.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Imagine loving video games your whole life, working hard for years to get into said industry only to help it excel as much as possible, and then some jackasses on a not so known gaming forum have the audacity to claim your gaming accomplishments are fake and fraudulent.

lmao, imagine being so thin skinned to care about the opinions of those on a “not so knowing gaming forum”.

Corndog

Banned
Creating marble madness in 8 bit assembly is indeed a feat to behold.
Assembly is not hard just tedious. I did some assembly on some page buffering and image drawing routines. I did have the advantage of writing them in c++ first though.

Demon's, Miles, Sackboy are still at full MSRP since launch. And people gladly buy these games. Only now during Days Of Play are at discount. Which is funny actually, old MSRP is now the new sale price. LOL

xrnzaaas

Demon's, Miles, Sackboy are still at full MSRP since launch. And people gladly buy these games. Only now during Days Of Play are at discount. Which is funny actually, old MSRP is now the new sale price. LOL
You can buy (brand new) retail copies of Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy or even Returnal way cheaper. Helps that a lot of the stores bundle them with the consoles so many people want to get rid of them if they're not into a particular genre or a series.

Last edited:
I'm not necessarily doubting him, but I do wonder. His job must be pretty busy. where does he find the time to platinum all these games? I barely have the time to clear them lol.
Does he have kids? That might be the reason he has some extra time.
Also he doesn't seem to platinum many games.

xrnzaaas

Yes, you can, but that is not an official discount, MSRP is still at full price
And? Unless you've intentionally bought a digital only console that shouldn't matter to you. What matters is that you can you can buy the games cheaper without having to wait very long.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Assembly is not hard just tedious. I did some assembly on some page buffering and image drawing routines. I did have the advantage of writing them in c++ first though.

um yeah that’s not really the hard part.

assembly isn’t the same across the board for these old cpus. it’s different for different types of processors which have different components.

There is no real multiplication or division on the Nes 8 bit cpu and you really don’t have the cycles to waste to do it with loops so you make due with some fancy bit shifting. And remember you can only count up to 256 with any bit. So you have two bits for whole numbers and one or two to mimic decimals.

So doing any type pseudo physics on the nes 8bit cpu in real-time is pretty darn impressive in my book.

Last edited:

Skifi28

um yeah that’s not really the hard part.

assembly isn’t the same across the board for these old cpus. it’s different for different types of processors which have different components.

There is no real multiplication or division on the Nes 8 bit cpu and you really don’t have the cycles to waste to do it with loops so you make due with some fancy bit shifting. And remember you can only count up to 256 with any bit. So you have two bits for whole numbers and one or two to mimic decimals.

So doing any type pseudo physics on the nes 8bit cpu in real-time is pretty darn impressive in my book.
I'm not familiar with a NES CPU, but I imagine it's not far off a Z80 which I've written assembly for. I can confirm that if you want to write anything remotely complicated, it can be a nightmare. Always juggling registers and having to constantly use jump commants, I'm not sure I could understand my own code after a week. Kudos to anyone that used it to write games.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Is it, though? He's not in any official capacity at Sony, just an outside consultant (which is strange, but that's how it is). He has helped to design and launch a console + the mandatory PR stuff that goes with it, maybe he has plenty of time in his hands right now.
I'd think he's pretty busy working on a pro model at the moment.

GymWolf

I remember when we had interesting topics about cerny, like the one about that completely unrelated chick with the same last name...

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom