• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein teases Unreal Tournament comeback, [More Today]

JordanN

Banned
Get ready for the next step:

ibdrGRtUNOLRMy.jpg

Mxrz

More 2K4. Less 3?

The whole LoL approach to UT could be fun, not sure how it would work exactly. But seems like there could be potential. Still rather have a 2K14. (ten years? Damn.)

Theman2k

If it's F2P they can keep it away from me.

And what's the community aspect in this ? Not developed by Epic ?
Sounds bad ..

Silky

Banned
So it'd be UT2k4, except that I'd have to pay for maps and mods and there probably wouldn't be offline bot support? Forgive me if I'm less than excited.

No. It's really simple. Just the entire MP experience + cosmetics/special character models.

Not every F2P game is a microtransaction hell, and there are plenty of shooters out now that prove it.

"No, not Unreal Tournament 3..."

UT3 is a mechanically fine game, better than 2K4 if we're being real. It's everything else about it that they fucked up.

Kyzon

I'd rather something like Unreal Championship 2 but I won't complain with this. May be time for me to get a pc

"Best get off that sauce. Making you say crazy shit"

If all you do is play on iG CTF servers you'd probably not care either way, but 2K4's weapon balance is much worse in comparison to 99 or 3.

Acosta

I'm excited, but for it being such a casual announcement I guess it´s not really a big deal, maybe something like the Quake 3 deal (which would be nice in its own right)

Zukuu

Banned
OMG I'm waiting soooooooooo long for a new UT. 2008 was kinda meh. I played the SHIT outta ut04 tho. Junked 12 hours in a row. I'm probably too old to be competitive, but I'll play the shit outta this one as well, if it's similar to 04.

akaoni

Banned
I don't know why I didn't notice but that's a cleaned up UT99 Malcolm model which would definitely hint at a UT99-QuakeLive type deal?

syko de4d

I briefly went trough it, saw only a beginning of something.
That 4 pages thread in no way can be related to the big announcement, right ?

Any way I hope it's not F2P, and it will be more like UT2K4. And not UT3.

I dont know, 4 sites is pretty much on the Unreal engine forum xD

edit: this thread has the most Replies of ALL threads in general discussion.

StayDead

In terms of how it felt to play, UT3 was a lot better than most people seem to give it credit for. If you really want dire, look no further than UT 2003. :p

I played a hell of a lot of UT2k4 and when I tried to play UT3 and any time I try to play UT3 I hate it. The movement feels clunky, everything seems far too big due (the models, the guns, everything is far too clunky as it was designed to run on a console) and everything feels just so much slower and that's not a good thing.

I realise that's just my opinion, but I don't think anyone could change that now.

Kevin

This could be really awesome. That being said, I don't know how I would feel about a f2p model for these games. Guess I would have to see how they make it work before passing judgement. Would love for an Unreal Tournament 4 though. Might even be a game that got me to upgrade my PC. MAYBE!

Mxrz

I played a hell of a lot of UT2k4 and when I tried to play UT3 and any time I try to play UT3 I hate it. The movement feels clunky, everything seems far too big due (the models, the guns, everything is far too clunky as it was designed to run on a console) and everything feels just so much slower and that's not a good thing.

I realise that's just my opinion, but I don't think anyone could change that now.

Same here. Fat Tournament 3.

I liked the maps at least.

Orayn

Series reboot.

Unreal: Tournament Warfare.

CoD clone with regen health, ironsights, two weapon limit, killstreaks, the whole nine yards.

t58M6xn.jpg

breadtruck

This is your chance Epic, do it right. Unreal shouldnt be left to die out.

In terms of how it felt to play, UT3 was a lot better than most people seem to give it credit for. If you really want dire, look no further than UT 2003. :p

Umm, no. UT2003 was glorious. The movement and instagib was perfection.

Of course they "wrecked" that flow in UT2004, but it was still a fun game.

Tellaerin

Umm, no. UT2003 was glorious. The movement and instagib was perfection.

Um, no. :p That flying trapeze trickjumping acrobat bullshit was just that, bullshit. (Yeah, I know, opinions and all that. But personally, I hated the movement in UT2003, and couldn't've been happier that they gave that stuff the axe going into 2k4.)

cripterion

A bit worried about the Unreal Engine 4 considering how the elemental demo runs on my pc... Anyways, I'm still in on the hype but I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Please don't play like UT3, please don't play like UT3.

What! for me, 99 > UT2k3 > UT3

Tellaerin

Please don't play like UT3, please don't play like UT3.

What! for me, 99 > UT2k3 > UT3

For me, it'd probably be UT>UT3>UT2k4>>>>>>>>>>>UT2003. :p

Player scaling finally felt right again in UT3, for the first time since the original UT, and I'm partial to the feel of the weapons. Playing UT3 on the HOLP maps was some of the most fun I had with UT since '99. But hey, like I said before, it's all opinions, man.

For those interested in getting a basic idea of what Unreal Tournament 4 might look like on the new engine, feel free to download the UE4 shooter demo that was released:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/92l9gmiuiq3d3ja/MP_Demo.7z

XMtQeZl.jpg

Damn, that's ridiculously pretty. Looks more like a concept painting than a screenshot.

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
I've been saying they should release another UT on consoles and PC for awhile. Console gamers were still getting used to fps controls when they came out last. Now everyone should be ready for UT. I'm thinking a gorgeous UT remake with the new engine to test the waters and then a new UT if it succeeds. I loved the first UT so much. Would love to play on ps4 or xbone. Hell even a new PC only one might get me back into PC gaming.

Top Bottom