• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man on PS5 has the best RayTracing implementation on next gen consoles so far

LivingD3AD

x8o2SFg.jpg

fM2PHmp.jpg

a0150pb.jpg

Rax9m2v.jpg

ypPEbim.jpg

ROohoAR.jpg

rpF3rze.jpg

U8vsANH.jpg

The result is INSANE and on par with the best (flagship) Nvidia graphics cards.
For instance take a look at RayTracing implementation on Watch Dogs Legion, another OpenWorld title maxed out on RTX 2080 Ti:

OEakp8u.jpg

ac7WaFu.jpg

LivingD3AD

Did you just say on par with the best Nvidia gpu's?! Fucking LOL! It looks good, but nothing like the best or even good raytracing on PC. Let's not get carried away here 😂.

I made an instance for PC master races like you bro. Take a look at Watch Dogs Legion maxet out RayTracing on RTX 2080 Ti above!
I can’t remember any other PC games have had better RayTracing implementation during GAMEPLAY compared to SpiderMan on PS5!

Last edited:
I can’t remember any other PC games have had better RayTracing implementation during GAMEPLAY compared to SpiderMan on PS5!
There are several resolutions for that.

Take off the rose tinted glasses, actually take a look at several superior implementations of raytracing on PC that includes not only reflections, but GI, shadows, etc. This has been discussed and disproven so many times. People need to face reality and stop saying it's on par or even close to PC raytracing. Again, I'm not saying it's bad or anything, I'm just saying "on par" with PC raytracing, is "on par" with borderline delusional.

These threads are annoying for those who have seen several implementations over the years. Enjoy what you have, but don't try and compare to pc, as it falls short. Again it's not bad, but it's far from the best.

Last edited:

Ghekkus

When I did the side mission to find the black cat, once he's in bookbag the reflection shows the orange cat. Game ruined.

Just kidding(about game ruined), it looks great.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Take off the rose tinted glasses, actually take a look at several superior implementations of raytracing on PC that includes not only reflections, but GI, shadows, etc. This has been discussed and disproven so many times. People need to face reality and stop saying it's on par or even close to PC raytracing. Again, I'm not saying it's bad or anything, I'm just saying "on par" with PC raytracing, is "on par" with borderline delusional.

These threads are annoying for those who have seen several implementations over the years. Enjoy what you have, but don't try and compare to pc, as it falls short. Again it's not bad, but it's far from the best.

Honestly, don't be such a elitist.

On my couch ,from 8 ft away, comparing the examples in OP, in motion, I think it's fair to say that the results are on par.

That's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Not sure why your e-penis would shrink at the thought.

Honestly, don't be such a elitist.

On my couch ,from 8 ft away, comparing the examples in OP, in motion, I think it's fair to say that the results are on par.

That's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Not sure why your e-penis would shrink at the thought.
Seems like your e-penis went from smoll, to inverted from my post. I never said it was shit, bad, or ugly. No need to get upset. Its just not "on par" with PC. Not sure why that is so hard to fathom/swallow. You can have a fast car, but compared to a faster car, it's not going to win in a race, but that doesn't mean it's a shit car. Do you understand what that means?

Boss Mog

Did you just say on par with the best Nvidia gpu's?! Fucking LOL! It looks good, but nothing like the best or even good raytracing on PC. Let's not get carried away here 😂.

It's not like a rendering engineer at Epic said he was very impressed with Spider-man's raytracing and said raytracing on PC is being held back by middleware. Oh wait...

regawdless

Banned
Came into this thread, agreeing with the thread title..... On consoles. OP goes straight at PC master race.

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about.
WD Legion is Miles ahead in raytracing reflections. Control also has better reflections AND raytraced shadows that make a huge difference. Hell, Quake 2 RTX has even raytraced lighting and overall the best raytracing so far for me.

WD Legion of PC.

watchdogslegionscree56ksc.jpeg

LivingD3AD

I didn’t say it’s the best, i said it’s on par with besties! And that’s absolute right bro.

wachie

Now : Ray tracing is a game changer
before : it’s a waste of resources , us it for better rasterization
I think the point went over your head. It's not about "lets crank up the RT to bring any GPU down to it's knees" but rather an RT implementation that makes the performance hit worthwhile.

farmerboy

Seems like your e-penis went from smoll, to inverted from my post. I never said it was shit, bad, or ugly. No need to get upset. Its just not "on par" with PC. Not sure why that is so hard to fathom/swallow. You can have a fast car, but compared to a faster car, it's not going to win in a race, but that doesn't mean it's a shit car. Do you understand what that means?

Hey, OP never said pc example was "shit, bad or ugly". No need for you to get upset.

LivingD3AD

Came into this thread, agreeing with the thread title..... On consoles. OP goes straight at PC master race.

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about.
WD Legion is Miles ahead in raytracing reflections. Control also has better reflections AND raytraced shadows that make a huge difference. Hell, Quake 2 RTX has even raytraced lighting and overall the best raytracing so far for me.

WD Legion of PC.

watchdogslegionscree56ksc.jpeg
Does that pic look even better than this?!

ketXOeB.jpg

So, what is the best and most impressive implementation of RT according to you? I'd love to try it and compare (got an RTX 3080) because so far I haven't seen anything on PC that looks as impressive as the two Spider-Man games on PS5.

I'm not trolling or trying to start a fight, I really want to know and compare 🙂

And please don't say Metro Exodus, because that game looks like hot garbage.

Last edited:
It's not like a rendering engineer at Epic said he was very impressed with Spider-man's raytracing and said raytracing on PC is being held back by middleware. Oh wait...
Have you read the thread yourself? You'll notice a trend in that thread. You can't make specific low level api's for PC, because of the multitudes of configurations. So that rant has no basis. I could wish that humans could fly, but since we don't have wings, my wish is invalid. You need to optimize consoles to do certain things. On PC, you have the hardware and power to do those things without much optimization needed. Maybe actually read the thread before going in defense mode next time?

Hey, OP never said pc example was "shit, bad or ugly". No need for you to get upset.
OP said on par with not mid tier GPU's, not with high end AMD gpu's, but high end NVIDIA gpu's, which are the cream of the crop in raytracing. Anyone who isn't biased, wouldn't get upset about me calling this fallacy out, unless you're an exception?

RPSleon

Yeah, its really good, and unexpected. Im happy that weve got consoles that can do this, especially as I dont own a powerful pc.

Buuut its not on par with what a pc can currently do. It doesnt have the complexity and subtlety of ray tracing in a game like control.

regawdless

Banned
Does that pic look even better than this?!

ketXOeB.jpg

I'll quote an older post from a similar discussion I had regarding this exact topic:

Trees and geometry are rather detailed in the reflections:

watchdogslegionscreehqk8y.jpeg

And here you can see the building itself (where the posters are) having very good detailed reflections on a rough surface, which is expensive to render.

watchdogslegionscreencj62.jpeg

Water from fountains for example is also being reflected on the highest settings which you won't see in Spider-Man - whatever that's worth. Again, Spidey looks amazing and the reflections are well done, the trade-offs are very well chosen. WD L also has trade-offs of course, just fewer.

Edit: quick addition, if you look at the reflections, Spidey has a significantly lower resolution for them.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Spider-Man looks great. I remember John from DF saying last year we can expect RT reflections and maybe shadows on consoles. Alex from DF had said that consoles should be about 2060S level for RT. Both seem to be accurate so far, and we're off to a good start. Shoot for 1440p(reconstructed to 4K) and you could squeeze in shadows and maybe a little higher quality reflections.

Last edited:
Yeah, its really good, and unexpected. Im happy that weve got consoles that can do this, especially as I dont own a powerful pc.

Buuut its not on par with what a pc can currently do. It doesnt have the complexity and subtlety of ray tracing in a game like control.

I'll quote an older post from a similar discussion I had regarding this exact topic:

This is why I hate threads like this. Even a multiplatforms game can look better, and have a more realistic implementation. But of course, hardcore warriors can't just enjoy their stuff, but CONSTANTLY try and pick at PC gamers.

PS5 is a beast, besting even top of the line PCs in raytracing.
Lmfaaaaao, ok warrior

regawdless

Banned
This is why I hate threads like this. Even a multiplatforms game can look better, and have a more realistic implementation. But of course, hardcore warriors can't just enjoy their stuff, but CONSTANTLY try and pick at PC gamers.

Lmfaaaaao, ok warrior

This. I don't see the point. Spider-Man does a great job for the hardware at hand. No need to try to compare it to expensive as hell PCs.

If you look at rough surfaces for example, there are no raytraced reflections in Spider-Man that are comparable to WD Legion on PC maxed, foliage is way simpler in Spideys reflections while WD L does it significantly more detailed etc.

Great avatar btw.

This. I don't see the point. Spider-Man does a great job for the hardware at hand. No need to try to compare it to expensive as hell PCs.

If you look at rough surfaces for example, there are no raytraced reflections in Spider-Man that are comparable to WD Legion on PC maxed, foliage is way simpler in Spideys reflections while WD L does it significantly more detailed etc.

That's one thing I am disgusted with Sony fanboys vs xbox fanboys. You really never see Xbox guys trying to flex their muscles against PC, even back from the x1x and ps4 pro days. They understand hardware differences, something some of these other warriors just don't comprehend.

Everyone should enjoy their games, but the moment you try and call out the superior hardware, is when you can't run and hide behind exclusives anymore, cause even they will be beaten by multiplatforms.

Great avatar btw.
Wait till you see my next one, I'll update eventually.

Insecure over his PC parts.
Who do you guys act like this? As if PC players are poor, and couldn't buy 2-3 ps5's spontaneously *if they wanted to*? The reason *I* play on PC is for the superior visuals and framerates, as well as superior raytracing. You won't get that on consoles. Take for instance cyberpunk, or literally any game that's released recently. Do you think we want to play at sub 4k, lower quality visuals, lower quality raytracing (or no raytracing, no next gen upgrade yet), abysmal framerates?! Hell fucking no. That's why we get the better hardware, duh.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
All gameplay shots;

wb9iOhT.jpg

uLOQOej.jpg

K2BmvNK.jpg

NO5yQOj.png

And in which ways should this be comparable or even superior to the WD Legion screens that I've posted?

Look at the trees, all the smaller branches are missing. Reflections have way lower resolution, just look at the second screen you posted and compare it to my screen of the bus.
In motion, the movement of NPCs is not updated 1:1 so their movement stutters to save resources.

And so on and so on.

As I've already said, Spiderman does a great job and looks great. But due to limited performance, they had to limit a lot of stuff compared to games that run on a freaking 700 bucks 3080 GPU. Which is obvious, duh.

This discussion is ridiculous.

regawdless

Banned
Incredible how the autism comes out when somebody dares to say ray tracing is good on consoles and even on par in many cases with the average PC gaming machine.

OP is completely right, the RT implemented in Spider Man is great. Sucks you can't play it on PC though....

That's not what happens. We all agree that it looks great and is well implemented. No beef here.
But OP says it has better raytracing than something like Watch Dogs Legion maxed on PC - which is objectively false because of all the points I've already mentioned here - and then posts fake bad screenshots for a comparison.... it's just not true.

And at no point did he mention an average gaming PC. He compared it to high-end max settings, which is beyond ridiculous.

I say it again, Spider-Man looks great and the trade offs are very well chosen. But WE Legion maxed on PC has way fewer trade offs and therefore way better raytracing.

Don't know what's so hard to understand here.

Top Bottom