• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man Tops Batman: Arkham City as Best-Selling Superhero Game Ever According to NPD

Mista

Banned
Spiderman-Batman-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

To coincide with the start of San Diego Comic-Con today, The NPD Group’s Mat Piscatella revealed a new list of the top-selling superhero games of all-time, and the entries near the top of the list are probably what you would expect.

Sitting atop all other games is that of Insomniac Games’ Marvel’s Spider-Man. Even though it has been out for less than a year, Marvel’s Spider-Man is already the best-selling superhero game ever made. This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise considering we already knew it was the fastest-selling superhero game ever, but it’s now officially the best-selling in the United States as well.

Following closely behind Marvel’s Spider-Man in second place is that of Batman: Arkham City, which is pretty appropriate. In my own estimation, Arkham City and Marvel’s Spider-Man are the two best superhero games ever made, so it’s fitting that they’d end up next to one another on this list.

Lastyou1

Banned
So glad for Insomniac.

I don't like how they handled the DLCs, but the base game is fantastic.

The right amount of original ideas and comic book accuracy.
A lot of costumes, some of them added for free and due to fan request, a lot of content, quick patches.... All of this without curbing worker's rights (right, Netherrealm Studios?), with a studios that promoted civil rights without being woke.

Again, I'm such a Spidey nerd that I am not objective, but I am so proud of their work. Spidey is Perhaps the only game (alongside The Witcher 3) I pre-ordered and not regret.

CD Project Red and Insomniac are my two favorite developers. The polish studio is slightly ahead, but Insomniac grew a lot on me.

Now, let's go with Cyberpunk and Spider-Man ps5!!!!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great game and good for Spider-Man and Insomniac, doesn't mean it's better than Batman, not the same type of Super Hero games.

Vawn

Banned
That short of time and as an exclusive? This is pretty impressive.

Sunset Overdrive kind of bombed sales-wise and Spiderman did this? Talk about leverage for Sony. Sony doesn't need to buy these studios - they clearly need Sony more than Sony needs them.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
No one knows if this would have been a different game, ever would have happened or if it would have sold less, as much or more being multiplat. It's great when companies invest in exclusives and break records and show tht if you pump money into a game and let the dev follow their vision with not to much meddling you come out with success!!! Sony has already invested in several exclusives that have been super successful and great games . Keep doing it!!!!

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm really pleased for Insomniac and can't say that I'm surprised. Spider-Man is a hugely successful comic book character and the game is so accessible and fun to play.

They did a great job of translating Spider-Man's powers and I think the combat system with all of the various moves and gadgets is one of the best this generation.

Can't wait for Spider-Man 2 and hope it's not too far off.

Playing this game did also make me remember that I'm desperate for a new Batman game as well.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Could have had twice the sales if it was on xbox and PC

Not necessarily true at all and it could have ended a totally different game. There have been circumstances of games going multiplat and not selling so hot. I'm not saying it wouldn't have sold well or better but one never knows.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Both are good piece of games. I'm very happy for Spider-man, but without taking Arkhan City prestige.

Evilms

Banned
Top 10 :

1. Marvel's Spider-Man
2. Batman Arkham City
3. Batman Arkham Knight
4. LEGO Batman
5. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
6. Spider-Man : The Movie
7. Spider-Man 2 : The Movie
8. Injustice
9. Batman Arkham Asylum
10. Injustice 2

Last edited:

Quixz

Its a shame only Bats and Spidey get to have games with thousands of other heroes from Marvel and DC to choose from.

Last edited:
It's success like this that really can take dev studios to a whole new level. Would like to see Insomniac reinvest in themselves and publish independently. Spiderman 2 would be a platinum mine if multiplatform.

Fake

Its a shame only Bats and Spidey get to have games with thousands of other heroes from Marvel and DC to choose from.
Well, bats and spiders are the best from each side IMO.
I still like X-men, but Marvel keep farming Wolverine with I don't even care anymore. This char is so saturated.

Lastyou1

Banned

They are the respective "champions" of Marvel and DC, both are phenomenally popular and loved and recognized, both are icons of pop culture and are basically the symbols of what United States stand for.
Even more than Captain America and Superman, oddly enough.

Also, they are powered to the right level of being interesting. They are pretty above the average guy, but also waaay below most of their enemies, and both need strategy and planning rather than brute strength in order to win. At the same time, they are not OVERPOWERED, so they are still interesting.

In other words Batman and Spider-Man are the perfect blend of popularity and "doable" in terms of gameplay.

Superman wouldn't work because he is invincible against humans. At the same time the players that want to play as Superman want to feel invincible.

So you have to compromise and balance players' needs with gameplay necessities.

A Superman video game would work a lá "Megaton Rainfall", where the game over screen is not tied to your health or time, but to the levels of damage sustained by earth and civilians.

thelastword

Banned
Niche man breaking all records and taking all names..... I wonder how many mountains of crow was eaten because of Niche man.....

Seems like Nicheman, Nostalgic "was never good" Crash Bandicoot and the generic Days Gone "I hate Deacon" ..... were the biggest crow servers this gen......Never seen fatter crows served tbh, in any gen.....

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Batman is so much better though.

I haven't finished Spiderman yet, I'm past the part where

Doc Oc loses his effin mind and breaks out all the villains.

At this point I am not confident it can give much more than it has, but hey maybe I'll be surprised.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I wonder if it's for batman on all systems. That game was on ps3,, 360, pc, and wiiu. If so that's pretty damn impressive.

I played and beat the core game, none of the dlcs but I enjoyed it allright. I'm not a spiderman fan though, I've been dealing with spiderman for 43 years across all mediums so he is a well worn road for me. I mainly got it for all the praise it received and I was curious. It was a well put together game and despite my skepticism the swinging never got old or felt tedious even at the end but the story just didn't grab me.

I'm in the same boat with batman but I enjoyed it more just because of the gadgets, upgrades, metroidvania exploration, and Kevin Conroy makes batman so much more interesting to me.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I mean, is a good game with great characters, made by pretty good developers. It would be surprising if it wasn't a hit.

That said, any publisher can go and make a deal to make a multiplat game with Marvel or DC characters. They didn't. Many have tried in the past and their games haven't been as good.

So basically, more likely than not, if this was a multiplat game, it wouldn't have been as good.

I love comics and it's characters. I'd love to see Microsoft or Nintendo putting one of their AAA studios to work on those properties. Instead, we have gotten third party bullshit like X-Men destiny or whatever is called and previous Spidey games (with SM2 as an exception).

People in this board should know enough about the industry to know this. Bitching about exclusivity is dumb.

Kenpachii

Well they gave away the game practically for free.

So yea, not that suprising.

160 bucks for a ps4+ spiderman.

Now i want to see unbundled sales.

HotPocket69

Banned
The first two. Second Son was good and gorgeous, but it didn't have quite the same charm.

I love Second Son. The soundtrack is underrated as hell. Brain (drummer from Primus etc) was one of the composers :messenger_open_mouth:

The first game is still my fav though. It captured that dark 90s comic vibe perfectly to me. Loved the panel cutscenes too.

Last edited:

lucius

It is better than the Batman games at first I didnt think so but it is much more fun and traveling is just unlike anything out there. Batman probably needs a refresh like God of War maybe easier said than done.

ExpandKong

Banned
I think Origins is the better Arkham game and it’s criminal how much the publisher goes out of its way to snub it but that’s slightly off topic. Good job spider man. Great game. Borrowed it from my brother in law and beat it and still bought my own copy afterwards. Love that movement.

Top Bottom