• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel announces Iron Fist season 2

PsychBat!

Banned
Cool. We will.

Those shows are bad. That movie was bad. Iron Fist will probably continue to be bad. There, a measured response.

IXosxI8.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'll give it a chance. Buck was on another level of... Buck.

Wasn't the Jessica Jones showrunner a writer from the Twilight movies?

I mean what you said really doesn't make it sound like that much of a better situation even if the dude isn't as bad as the show runner for season 1.

I mean...

Steven S. DeKnight and Drew Goddard (who combined to do DD S1) are both products of Whedon writing rooms, meaning people either loved or hated their output.

Melissa Rosenberg (Jessica Jones) had things like the Twilight movies, Birds of Prey, and Step Up on her resume.

Cheo Hodari Coker (Luke Cage) had Southland, the movie Notorious and one or two episodes of a couple other shows on his resume.

So what's the bar we're setting here? None of the Showrunners thus far have a 100% hit ratio or anything close to it. What's turned out to be most important is having them understand the character. So for IF specifically, someone who understands genre is way more likely to get the character and do it justice than someone whose primary chops were in Drama/Thriller, which is what Buck had previously done.

Of course it's possible that Metzner puts out something bad. I'm just saying having a genre background is a definite improvement.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean...

Steven S. DeKnight and Drew Goddard (who combined to do DD S1) are both products of Whedon writing rooms, meaning people either loved or hated their output.

Melissa Rosenberg (Jessica Jones) had things like the Twilight movies, Birds of Prey, and Step Up on her resume.

Cheo Hodari Coker (Luke Cage) had Southland, the movie Notorious and one or two episodes of a couple other shows on his resume.

So what's the bar we're setting here? None of the Showrunners thus far have a 100% hit ratio or anything close to it. What's turned out to be most important is having them understand the character. So for IF specifically, someone who understands genre is way more likely to get the character and do it justice than someone whose primary chops were in Drama/Thriller, which is what Buck had previously done.

Of course it's possible that Metzner puts out something bad. I'm just saying having a genre background is a definite improvement.

You're not doing yourself any favors as I thought JJ was tripe and Luke Cage went down the shitter at record speed.

Devil

Hire someone who knows what a fighting choreography is. Season 1 was doomed from the very first scene. How he fought those security guards at the company entrance.. lmao.

Can we just reboot Iron Fist? The entire show was a mess except maybe Gao and Ward and even then they weren't anywhere near enough to salvage that snoozefest.

MAKE WARD THE IRON FIST. Boom I've already created a far better show in a single sentence. His biggest kung fu move if flipping the bird at people and they explode like Fist of the North Star.
Fuck no. If they're gonna reboot then give us an Asian lead

Q8D3vil

If terrible shows like JJ and LC are getting second season then why the hell not.
Gonna skip them all this time

Mathieran

Banned
I just finished season one today and aside from some issues I really enjoyed it. Probably could have been 2-3 episodes shorter, but it seems like all the Marvel Netflix shows suffer from this problem. They all spend too much time on side characters.

So far the only Netflix one I havent liked so far is Luke Cage. I'm looking forward to season 2.

D i Z

I just finished season one today and aside from some issues I really enjoyed it. Probably could have been 2-3 episodes shorter, but it seems like all the Marvel Netflix shows suffer from this problem.

So far the only Netflix one I havent liked so far is Luke Cage. I'm looking forward to season 2.

I've heard some backwards ass shit in my lifetime, but you do you.

Is Marvel aware of how poorly received this show was among the fandom? Or am I being misled by the GAF echo chamber? (iron Fist is the only MCU visual media I have not watched)

GAF Echo Chamber is super strong with IF. It's not awful just weak. No weaker than the weaker parts of JJ or Daredevil or the second half of Luke Cage. The problem is it never gets to the highs those shows did. At least not for extended periods. 1 or 2 fights are fun and The extended cast is pretty solid.

Falchion

I'll watch it. The first season had room for improvement but there were some aspects I really enjoyed and I want to see what happens with Joy now.

HStallion

My point still stands. The series you enjoyed the most was by the writers who do Genre pretty much exclusively.

I'm not sure if to does. If the stuff they worked on before the Marvel shows was not great and then the Marvel show they worked on isn't great, that means they weren't very good at what they do. Not too shit on the creative teams too much but I had a laundry list of issues with JJ and Luke Cage.

LotusHD

Banned
GAF Echo Chamber is super strong with IF. It's not awful just weak. No weaker than the weaker parts of JJ or Daredevil or the second half of Luke Cage. The problem is it never gets to the highs those shows did. At least not for extended periods. 1 or 2 fights are fun and The extended cast is pretty solid.

Again, it got heavily panned, so this notion that GAF is out to get it continues to be silly. Hell, the only show that seems to be consistently liked around here is DD Season 1 anyways. That said, I won't immediately write off Season 2 now that Buck is not involved, so... there.

But yea, understatement on it not having any highs. (Well, it had like one, at the end of the season.) Terrible fight scenes despite the protagonist and his enemies all needing to be proficient at martial arts, villains weren't anywhere near as good as previous ones, too much interest in the corporate side of things (To the point where people joke to call the show "The Meachums"), a distinct lack of Iron Fist powers, etc. etc.

Its main selling point imo is that you feel obligated to watch it since it's the last show before the Defenders. Take that away, and it most certainly does a poor job of standing on its own. It wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing ever, but I'd have a harder time justifying why I would bother.

D i Z

It was straight up garbage. Absolutely painful to sit through. Had to ration that bullshit out over two weeks to get through it. It was that bad.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It got panned everywhere both critically (37% on metacritic) and just on the internet in general.

Just because you personally like it, doesn't mean it's an "echo chamber". You aren't the center of the universe, your opinions aren't sacrosanct.

LotusHD

Banned
The only two things people to consistently like or at least find decent about this show is Colleen and Ward from what I've seen. I don't get the latter, but I would agree that his arc was interesting.

D i Z

The only two things people to consistently like or at least find decent about this show is Colleen and Ward from what I've seen. I don't get the latter, but I would agree that his arc was interesting.

This is how low the bar goes. Colleen Wing wasn't even repped right. But damn if she wasn't a bit of air freshener in a funky ass room.

LotusHD

Banned
This is how low the bar goes. Colleen Wing wasn't even repped right. But damn if she wasn't a bit of air freshener in a funky ass room.

You not wrong

It's just I could see her faring better in Defenders and IF S2. Whereas Danny, the lead, I wouldn't be surprised if I still don't like him in Defenders.

Holy shit, no. If you can say that you weren't even watching.

How many times do the stupid people in this series use false pretences to put each other under restraints in a mental hospital (WTF) and then just get over it because "hey, we're family!" (They're not). It is truly on some next-level nonsensically bad writing.

The wet noodle main character gets a new personality every episode. He's either a zen-like monk, or a fuming rage-aholic, or a creepy manchild. Somehow we're supposed to believe that Colleen is super into all of this.

Speaking of Colleen, she can't touch Fist in their initial fight. But she can take out the Hand boss. Meanwhile, Fist gets KOed by a storage room security guard. It is clear that this show's tier list goes: Security guard > Fist > Colleen > Evil ninja boss. Also, Madame Gao can hadouken people in one episode but then just forgets that and gets captured like an old lady for half the series because the people who wrote it didn't want to pay attention to their own terrible show.

It is genuinely one of the worst and most illogical series I've ever sat through.

HStallion

Holy shit, no. If you can say that you weren't even watching.

How many times do the stupid people in this series use false pretences to put each other under restraints in a mental hospital (WTF) and then just get over it because "hey, we're family!" (They're not). It is truly on some next-level nonsensically bad writing.

The wet noodle main character gets a new personality every episode. He's either a zen-like monk, or a fuming rage-aholic, or a creepy manchild. Somehow we're supposed to believe that Colleen is super into all of this.

Speaking of Colleen, she can't touch Fist in their initial fight. But she can take out the Hand boss. Meanwhile, Fist gets KOed by a storage room security guard. It is clear that this show's tier list goes: Security guard > Fist > Colleen > Evil ninja boss. Also, Madame Gao can hadouken people in one episode but then just forgets that and gets captured like an old lady for half the series because the people who wrote it didn't want to pay attention to their own terrible show.

It is genuinely one of the worst and most illogical series I've ever sat through.

Remember when Night Nurse with only a little bit of martial arts training was taking out armored soldiers like it was no big deal?

Kin5290

Those shows are bad. That movie was bad. Iron Fist will probably continue to be bad. There, a measured response.
Sleepy Hollow seasons 1 and 2 were legitimately good, and those were the ones he was around for.

Elektra was awful, but you can't pin that on him necessarily. Screenwriters are very low on the totem pole of responsibility as far as films go.

Cautiously optimistic about Season 2 now.

SMDH at people hating on Jessica Jones, though.

I didn't hate season 1 (like a lot of people seem to). The Meachums were good "villains" and it had better characterizations than a lot of Marvel shows. The action and the effects were pretty bad though.

I didn't hate season 1 (like a lot of people seem to). The Meachums were good "villains" and it had better characterizations than a lot of Marvel shows. The action and the effects were pretty bad though.

50% of the shows problems could be solved with great fight choreography. They'll need to step it up big next season.

Remember when Night Nurse with only a little bit of martial arts training was taking out armored soldiers like it was no big deal?

Or the time before that when the martial artists are like "we're going to China to bust he ninja drug lab!" And she's all like "I'm coming too!" NO YOU'RE A NORMAL PERSON WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THAT

And the weird way they kept having them speak Mandarin at random times early on in the series, except when they went to China where luckily even the blind street bums just happen to speak English.

I also really liked the respectful way Colleen Wing's Asian heritage was handled. "Bushido strict samurai grandfather BTW I'm half-white half-Chinese." Nice. The way they wedged an "also, randomly raised by ninjas in a different country" in there was a classy extra touch.

Yeah, this series was great.

LotusHD

Banned
Or the time before that when the martial artists are like "we're going to China to bust he ninja drug lab!" And she's all like "I'm coming too!" NO YOU'RE A NORMAL PERSON WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THAT

And the weird way they kept having them speak Mandarin at random times early on in the series, except when they went to China where luckily even the blind street bums just happen to speak English.

I also really liked the respectful way Colleen Wing's Asian heritage was handled. "Bushido strict samurai grandfather BTW I'm half-white half-Chinese." Nice. The way they wedged an "also, randomly raised by ninjas in a different country" in there was a classy extra touch.

Yeah, this series was great.

https://youtu.be/iYgKgPQhJus?t=51s

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the Finn Jones was awful, just an terrible actor playing an even worse character, he was such a sniffling little shit. I've never read the comics but I can't imagine he was so boring in them. I kept waiting for him to go beast mode but he never did, just little bits here and there amounting to a few minutes over the entire season.

Belker

I agree about Iron Fist's character. I'm not blaming the actor, because the director would have given instructions on how to play him, but he came across as a petulant child. Like a 7 year old trapped in an adult's body, stamping his feet when he didn't get his way.

Nah, I'm good.

this

giphy.gif

Top Bottom