• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel comments on X-Men/Fantastic Four in MvC:Infinite, game will have DLC for years

They'll need a good strategy to win people back over.

Hopefully the characters picked for DLC are some of the top requested.

VariantX

Its like on one hand, I'm happy that this will suppsedly get support for years to come unlike UMVC3 on the other hand, I just don't think its cool at all to not have at least some not all of the X-Men fan favorites at launch. Its not even really a great compromise because folks who like X-men will essentially have to open their wallets again just to have some of the characters they would have liked at launch.

Tripon

What about when nearly every single Marvel game released digitally was taken down for a while including the capcom games?

Let me put it this way. When Capcom canceled that Mega Man Legends game on the DS, stopped making DMC games after DmC or refuse to localize a game, is there a ban on those IP or just Capcom being stubborn and foolish?

Neoxon

Its like on one hand, I'm happy that this will suppsedly get support for years to come unlike UMVC3 on the other hand, I just don't think its cool at all to not have at least some not all of the X-Men fan favorites at launch. Its not even really a great compromise because folks who like X-men will essentially have to open their wallets again just to have some of the characters they would have liked at launch.
It was likely either DLC or no X-Men at all. Capcom probably didn't have a choice on that front, & they can't really throw Marvel under the bus by outright saying it's Marvel's fault.

There's nothing to sort, the only things Marvel licensed away are the movie rights. Disney/Marvel fully owns the license rights to every other market.
Yeah, & they chose not to let the Fox characters in. We just started to see this change for the mobile games, & we have the likes of Lego Marvel 2 also being impacted by this bullshit.

jett

D-Member
It's something I really can't comment on right now," Ong said. "We haven't officially released the roster. Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced.

Worthless response. They're just gonna stick their heads in the sand.

VariantX

It was likely either DLC or no X-Men at all. Capcom probably didn't have a choice on that front, & they can't really throw Marvel under the bus by outright saying it's Marvel's fault.

Definately not laying any blame at Capcom on this and I understand completely the rock and a hard place that folks like Combofiend and other Capcom reps and employees are in. Capcom has plenty of crap they're repsonsible for, but this ones definately got Marvel written all over it.

captianpants

Neo Member
I'm sure people are happy with the idea of getting less characters than MvC3 or especially MvC2 at launch and then having to pay for extra characters.

Yeah, definitely happy to give more money.

/s

yeah I got to much money, I'm sick of it

Beartruck

Ugh. This is SFV all over again. From what I played of the game, the core mechanics of it are fantastic, but everything else is a disaster.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ugh. This is SFV all over again. From what I played of the game, the core mechanics of it are fantastic, but everything else is a disaster.
Not really. It's the most feature-packed fighting game Capcom has ever made - pretty much the opposite of what SFV got grilled for.

KingBroly

Banned
Not really. It's the most feature-packed fighting game Capcom has ever made - pretty much the opposite of what SFV got grilled for.

I doubt it's the most feature packed. Saying it'll be more feature packed than SFV isn't much of a challenge, either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I doubt it's the most feature packed. Saying it'll be more feature packed than SFV isn't much of a challenge, either.
What are you doubting, exactly? That the modes they continue to talk about being in the game don't exist? (unlike SFV/MvC3 where they went mum about them mid-way through development?)

If it's anything like SFV there isn't gonna be a "Complete" version.
Yep, just some light discounts months to a year down the line.

Experien

I know I wouldn't buy this if no X-Men characters but I know people who aren't buying it until X-Men characters are released.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Of course the shittiest looking Capcom fighter in over a decade will be the one that gets support for years. Sigh.

sephi22

Games getting constant support is bad now? lol.

This is insanity to me.
Skilletor, you've heard this thought expressed in the other thread too, so I don't see how it's still insane to you.

I sell you a game with 48 characters for $40 [UMvC3], based on a game with 36 original characters that I sold you for $60.

Years later, I sell you another game for $60, with a lot less characters, a lot of them being characters reused from the old game and characters you didn't ask for, and a portion of the popular characters missing (X-Men). I then promise that I will support the game by selling you popular new and returning characters that you wanted, but in exchange for more money.

Technically releasing an overpriced, anaemic product and then padding it with dlc is support, but nothing that should be commended. People are not complaining about the support they're complaining about how shamefully exploitative the dlc plans are.

You're not daft man. Stop acting like it.

Zubz

Banned
I like the fact they're supporting it long term, but I'm not jumping on another barren base game from Capcom, even if I have disposable income this time. Unless the launch wows me, I'm going to wait, as much as I love MvC.

So basically "You'll get the X-Men and the FF in the game whenever we get the rights back" lmao

In seriousness though, I still totally understand where they're coming from with not wanting to promote things they're not really getting a profit on (ie, in this case things like X-Men and FF movies) I'm really surprised they're pushing X-Men comics out now, but I guess with the Inhumans pushing being really poor, they have to go back to their backlog now.

Mariolee

So basically "You'll get the X-Men and the FF in the game whenever we get the rights back" lmao

In seriousness though, I still totally understand where they're coming from with not wanting to promote things they're not really getting a profit on (ie, in this case things like X-Men and FF movies) I'm really surprised they're pushing X-Men comics out now, but I guess with the Inhumans pushing being really poor, they have to go back to their backlog now.

People keep saying they don't have the rights, but that's not true right? Marvel/Disney own the licensing rights to all Marvel characters, don't they? The most likely reason in that case would be Marvel just doesn't want to promote characters owned by the Fox Film division as competition, which is shitty to have that carry over to the game world.

Somehow I doubt that.
JkGROSax.jpg

No berserker barrage in the base game, no buy.

I'm not against DLC characters but this game already looks like it doesn't deserve to be full price.

Nuu

Banned
"Games as a service" is the business model that fighting games should and need to move because it ensures that as long as people is spending money on the game you get more content.

The problem with CAPCOM using games as a service is that so far it seems that they use it as an excuse to release really barebones base games and expect to fix that later with paid DLC.

No, "Ganes as Service" is a toxic and shit model that literally poisons virtually every single franchise it touches. Ganes aren't services, they are fucking games. The model deliberately has developers focus on extracting the most money out of consumers as possible rather thab actually work on things that players care about such as balance changes, netcode, and various QOL features. Unfortunately, there is no money in these things, but there's tons in costume and stage DLC... "Games as Service" is the disease, not the cure.
Technically releasing an overpriced, anaemic product and then padding it with dlc is support, but nothing that should be commended. People are not complaining about the support they're complaining about how shamefully exploitative the dlc plans are.

You're not daft man. Stop acting like it.
SFV "upgrade" kidel should make anyone be against this shit. Revision releases are far from perfect but are far superior to this season pass crap. Only Iron Galaxy can seem to handle it.

Not buying MVCI, but this ain't a reason why. I understand the disappointment from fans of the characters (of which I consider myself one of the biggest), but *shrug*

I get it.

Imagine if EA released a new Madden without the Patriots and the Cowboys and said that they would we available later as dlc. I dont mind dlc but Marvel fucked up by not allowing their most popular characters in the base roster.

Sigmaah

Niggas really need to chill about x-men/FF. They gonna come, if we gotta take them as dlc for this game to actually be what it is rn and have years of support?

I'll take that smoothly. Foh.

Worthless response. They're just gonna stick their heads in the sand.

Well, it's not like he can publicly admit the existence of the Perlmutter-imposed X-Men/FF licensing ban. No one from Marvel is allowed to, even though it's obvious from the outside.

It's not Ong's fault that the ban was only lifted (or at least significantly relaxed) after it was probably too late to change the launch roster.

rhandino

Banned
No, "Ganes as Service" is a toxic and shit model that literally poisons virtually every single franchise it touches. Ganes aren't services, they are fucking games. The model deliberately has developers focus on extracting the most money out of consumers as possible rather thab actually work on things that players care about such as balance changes, netcode, and various QOL features. Unfortunately, there is no money in these things, but there's tons in costume and stage DLC... "Games as Service" is the disease, not the cure.
DLC can help to pay for the things you care you know?
For example, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer got a TON of updates over time and they said they were more or less financed by the microtransactions in the game.

Smash 4 got a lot of updates and balance patches while they were selling DLC.

Cuburt

Considering even recent Marvel games (Contest of Champions, Future Fight, Marvel Heroes Omega, etc.) have X-Men characters, why do people automatically assume they would never be in this game?

Marvel will obviously prioritizing heroes that are in their films and whatnot, but prioritizing does not mean "trying to snuff out every other character in a petty case of corporate rivalry".

How many years have we been through fans panicking because Wolverine isn't shown front and center in every piece of Marvel media?

Ryce

Considering even recent Marvel games (Contest of Champions, Future Fight, Marvel Heroes Omega, etc.) have X-Men characters, why do people automatically assume they would never be in this game? Marvel will obviously prioritizing heroes that are in their films and whatnot, but prioritizing does not mean "trying to snuff out every other character in a petty case of corporate rivalry".
Future Fight has been out for more than two years and is only just now getting X-Men characters. How can you honestly say that isn't because of corporate meddling?
Marvel has literally Photoshopped X-Men and Fantastic Four characters out of old artwork on posters and T-shirts released in the last five years.

How many years have we been through fans panicking because Wolverine isn't shown front and center in every piece of Marvel media?
People aren't panicking because Wolverine isn't front and center -- they're panicking because he isn't in the base game at all. This is Wolverine we're talking about, the character who served as the face of Marvel for two decades, just starred in a critically acclaimed movie, and has appeared in every Capcom-developed Marvel fighter ever made. There's no reason for him to not be in this game other than corporate pettiness.

sephi22

"Games as a service" isn't inherently bad. There are some games with good execution like Dota 2.

Game as a service was once synonymous with F2P, but unfortunately it seems like it is now being used by companies to sell full priced games with F2P revenue models.

You'd think this moniker would fit Overwatch, but it doesn't. Blizzard has never referred to Overwatch as a game as a service, probably due to all gameplay affecting DLC being free and only cosmetics being paid.

Meanwhile every other company uses this term to put a positive spin on "you're going to be paying for this game for a long, long time if you want the full experience".

You'd think this moniker would fit Overwatch, but it doesn't.

It most certainly does. Overwatch is one of the best examples of a paid "game as a service" done right. Regular free gameplay content, incentive to pay more money without feeling ripped off (lootboxes), and regular and transparent communication. In fact, I feel like plenty of shooters have been doing this right recently: Titanfall 2, Battlefront 2, Halo 5, etc.

The problem is that this is a very difficult system to properly implement in a fighter because profits are much lower (lower sales), content is far more expensive to create (fighting game characters are some of the most costly and time-consuming pieces of "content" in the industry), and the general genre's audience is the closest to the competitive market in the industry, making even the slightest balance changes or non-conventional mechanics controversial.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Games as a service" isn't inherently bad. There are some games with good execution like Dota 2.

Game as a service was once synonymous with F2P, but unfortunately it seems like it is now being used by companies to sell full priced games with F2P revenue models.

You'd think this moniker would fit Overwatch, but it doesn't. Blizzard has never referred to Overwatch as a game as a service, probably due to all gameplay affecting DLC being free and only cosmetics being paid.

Meanwhile every other company uses this term to put a positive spin on "you're going to be paying for this game for a long, long time if you want the full experience".
Blizzard literally only makes service games.

This is also true of Activision if we're willing to ignore Crash.

SephLuis

I wonder how they will price the DLC for this game.

If the rumors are true, we will be seeing a lot of DLC characters per year or season. I wonder if they will bundle them or, at least, offer a year pass akin to SF V.

Ryce

I wonder how they will price the DLC for this game.

If the rumors are true, we will be seeing a lot of DLC characters per year or season. I wonder if they will bundle them or, at least, offer a year pass akin to SF V.
The 2017 character pass contains 6 characters and costs $30, so that's at least $5 per character. This is going to be a very expensive game.

They're almost definitely going the SFV route with pricing. $6 characters, $4 costumes and stages. Maybe lower the price on the latter two due to FM no longer being an option.

Neoxon

They're almost definitely going the SFV route with pricing. $6 characters, $4 costumes and stages. Maybe lower the price on the latter two due to FM no longer being an option.
The prices are probably gonna lower since, as you said, Fight Money won't be a thing in MvCI.

Top Bottom