• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel comments on X-Men/Fantastic Four in MvC:Infinite, game will have DLC for years

Neoxon

The followup by Mike Evans right after that is even more nonsensical. He says that Marvel fans today probably don't know who the X-Men are. Huh?????
Sadly, there are some kids who don't know. But the comment just comes off as Capcom trying hard not to throw Marvel under the bus.

jwhit28

MvC Infinite doesn't need Magneto though, you have Nova and Captain Marvel.

I get that it's their way to talk around "Marvel says no." but man, that's a hell of a spin

Why bother with the license at all if the characters don't matter? Might as well make an internal vs game.

Sadly, there are some kids who don't know. But the comment just comes off as Capcom trying hard not to throw Marvel under the bus.

I mean absolutely, I get that their hands are tied and there's not a lot they can say aside from no-commenting it. But...

fbd72af2a35303aefce7803d730365a5.png

????????????????????????

VariantX

The followup by Mike Evans right after that is even more nonsensical. He says that Marvel fans today probably don't know who the X-Men are. Huh?????

That's the problem with PR, in order for you to do your job, it requires you to say some hilariously wrong and stupid shit if someone asks you a question in the right way in the heat of the moment. You just don't have time to think of a smart response. People know who the fuck the X-Men are, like they didn't have comics and movies a couple of years ago. Like the fucking hugely popular deadpool movie didn't have X-Men in it. OK.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
MvC Infinite doesn't need Magneto though, you have Nova and Captain Marvel.

I get that it's their way to talk around "Marvel says no." but man, that's a hell of a spin

If they're looking at their characters as functions instead of iconic creations that have been heavily supported for for decades then I don't know what else to say. What does Arthur add? Spencer? Nemesis? Ghost Rider? etc. Roster is abysmal and the only reason I'm considering picking this up is for Captain Marvel, someone who should've been in the last game when it was first announced.

vg260

They're almost definitely going the SFV route with pricing. $6 characters, $4 costumes and stages. Maybe lower the price on the latter two due to FM no longer being an option.

The prices are probably gonna lower since, as you said, Fight Money won't be a thing in MvCI.

Yeah, I think they'll be lower for this reason.

Their pre-order costume bonuses for their past fighters haven't really been over a $4 or $5 value if bought later, and they're giving away two costumes with pre-orders. I can't see that changing, so maybe like $4 or $5 for a set of two costumes.

Tripon

Because kids never watch R-rated movies.

I definitely didn't start watching South Park when I was 8...

When I went to watch Logan, there was literally a family with two young boys sitting in front of me. I was bewildered at the parents thinking this was a movie that they could watch.

This game as a service already has a season pass and a ton of DLC ready to go. It's like everything I hear just gets me more excited for dragonball.

jett

D-Member
Well, it's not like he can publicly admit the existence of the Perlmutter-imposed X-Men/FF licensing ban. No one from Marvel is allowed to, even though it's obvious from the outside.

It's not Ong's fault that the ban was only lifted (or at least significantly relaxed) after it was probably too late to change the launch roster.

Well... You are 100% right.

But it would do the game so much good right now if they announced an X-men character, or at least confirmed that they are coming in the future. That leaked roster has really fucked them.

mnemonicj

Capcom fucked up with SFV and it was one of the first to offer a fighting game with GaaS model, I might be wrong. Killer Instinct pulled it off really well, too bad the Xbox console isn't more popular.

Still, fighting games are perfect for yearly updates.

Capcom fucked up with SFV and it was one of the first to offer a fighting game with GaaS model, I might be wrong. Killer Instinct pulled it off really well, too bad the Xbox console isn't more popular.

Killer Instinct's been available on W10 for quite some time now, and it's soon going to be on Steam as well.

MrCarter

Recently? Mvc2 and 3 were the faces of the series for a decade. I know 2v2 is cool in the other games but I wanted 3v3 back.

You don't get everything you want in life I'm afraid. Want 3v3? Well there is MvC3 and the new DBF. Regardless, I have a feeling a lot of people are simply all talk and no action and will probably stick with MvCi when all is said and done.

It would be funny if the leak was wrong and all of the internet was pissed about nothing. Roster wise at least.

Still gotta fix Chun's frakkin' face.

firelogic

Basically, "We'll release some X-Men/F4 characters as DLC when Marvel sort out those rights."

Marvel isn't going to sort out those rights because Fox isn't letting go of X-Men. Well, maybe Marvel can get Fantastic 4 back but it isn't going to be any time soon with rumours of a reboot floating around.

Forward

Definately not laying any blame at Capcom on this and I understand completely the rock and a hard place that folks like Combofiend and other Capcom reps and employees are in. Capcom has plenty of crap they're repsonsible for, but this ones definately got Marvel written all over it.

...like plummeting from being an industry leading company easily capable of producing their own games, to being reduced to begging Sony for enough coin to scrape together SFV and bending over backward and self-applying spit as lube for the MCU?

...like plummeting from being an industry leading company easily capable of producing their own games, to being reduced to begging Sony for enough coin to scrape together SFV and bending over backward and self-applying spit as lube for the MCU?
Lol

Sony gave Capcom money for SFV. Ono stated that SFV was a few years down the road. That doesn't sound like begging to me.

And what do you expect Capcom to do? Shit talk Marvel for not letting them use Xmen characters in the roster. Current Marvel has an agenda and on that agenda is put the MCU first.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm on the fence with this game for the first time on a marvel versus game. Is the demo going to be available on other platforms as well?

Forward

Lol

Sony gave Capcom money for SFV. Ono stated that SFV was a few years down the road. That doesn't sound like begging to me.

And what do you expect Capcom to do? Shit talk Marvel for not letting them use Xmen characters in the roster. Current Marvel has an agenda and on that agenda is put the MCU first.

Street Fighter 5 STILL looks like it is a few years down the road.

And yes - considering the fact that the actual game is theirs, as is half the cast, I'd expect Capcom to at least be packing an A-cup jock strap at the negotiations table, and demanding the characters that they know will actually serve to enhance the game in which they inhabit the curious position of being both a force to promote said game, as well as being themselves promoted by it. B-Bs falling out of small shorts, assuaging self-inflicted movie rights butthurt is NOT a good look.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, to me they just didn't want to come out and say "No X-men, no Fantastic Four chars" to not hurt the game's initial sales.

Exactly right. They're doing everything they can to avoid saying it because obviously they don't want to upset anyone. There's a lot lining up against this game and this sure is not helping at all.

Well... You are 100% right.

But it would do the game so much good right now if they announced an X-men character, or at least confirmed that they are coming in the future. That leaked roster has really fucked them.

I agree with you completely, and I'm not sure why they can't do this, at least.

Blueblur1

I just canceled my Collector's Edition pre-order. I'm sure history is about to repeat itself so I'll just wait and get the game for $15 in October.

Neonep

One of my issues is with DLC. The game isn't even out yet and we are already talking about DLC. Shows that your product is lacking. The whole Black Panther is DLC upsets me. It's like if anybody should have been in the base roster it's him. It's just a problem that already the 2 announced characters for DLC are already in the story. This is SFV all over again just in a different way. They are more focused on DLC and support than delivering a good initial product. They can't assume everybody is going to stick around.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could sort of get that if they're talking about eight year olds, but I imagine nigh everyone buying a Capcom fighting game in 2017 is 30+.

Marvel: Contest of Champions at 50+ million downloads is more how they're reaching the general audience.

Skilletor

One of my issues is with DLC. The game isn't even out yet and we are already talking about DLC. Shows that your product is lacking. The whole Black Panther is DLC upsets me. It's like if anybody should have been in the base roster it's him. It's just a problem that already the 2 announced characters for DLC are already in the story. This is SFV all over again just in a different way. They are more focused on DLC and support than delivering a good initial product. They can't assume everybody is going to stick around.

You think the same about injustice 2 and Tekken?

Oh look, a ban that isn't really a ban.

No X-Men or F4 were in any new games for two and a half years. Seemed like a pretty solid ban to me.

Even then, it isn't completely lifted. Marvel Heroes Omega has all references to the F4 removed except for Doom (since he's the final boss and can't be removed without massive plot changes). It looks like Marvel's either given up or come to an agreement with Fox over the X-Men, but they're still adamant on getting the F4 back (and seeing how Fox is with the licence, I'd do the same in Marvel's place).

Tripon

No X-Men or F4 were in any new games for two and a half years. Seemed like a pretty solid ban to me.

Even then, it isn't completely lifted. Marvel Heroes Omega has all references to the F4 removed except for Doom (since he's the final boss and can't be removed without massive plot changes). It looks like Marvel's either given up or come to an agreement with Fox over the X-Men, but they're still adamant on getting the F4 back (and seeing how Fox is with the licence, I'd do the same in Marvel's place).

A company wishing to control its IP is not a ban. In fact, that's the opposite of a ban since if Marvel wasn't in control, they wouldn't be able to touch the game in the first place.

Top Bottom