• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel explains their games strategy (2017 edition): Talks exclusives, partners, more

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Reminder that squeenix put Deus Ex on ice and has devs working on a combination of Tomb Raider and Marvel games in it's stead.

Any updates on that, Niro?
They're still doing that to my knowledge.

Eidos Montreal's main project right now is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, with support for The Avengers from their other excess staff, while a small team (presumably the Deus Ex leads?) get Guardians of the Galaxy through pre-production.

I'm guessing they will stop making Tomb Raider games and put that team on Guardians once Shadow finishes, since Shadow was filling the void of losing both Thief and their New IP while buying Crystal Dynamics time to reinvent the series again.

That's my point. They say all this and yet are allowing Capcom to release what in almost every regard appears to be a very very shoddy product using their IP so clearly this is all just talk.
I think people are conceptualizing this a bit incorrectly.

They want to pick partners who are at least targeting 80+ rated games that try to sell a couple million copies. By comparison, Activision's stated Metacritic goal with Deadpool was ~62. They're not promising everyone will actually succeed, which is why they only sign deals for one game at a time, so they have the option to break off a deal if it's not working out.

That said, Marvel deals nigh entirely in service games, so if Capcom launches a game that's a 75 and updates it to a better received state while getting to a couple million eventually, they would likely be willing to continue that unless they felt someone who could make a better console fighting game came along.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They're still doing that to my knowledge.

Eidos Montreal's main project right now is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, with support for The Avengers from their other excess staff, while a small team (presumably the Deus Ex leads?) get Guardians of the Galaxy through pre-production.

I'm guessing they will stop making Tomb Raider games and put that team on Guardians once Shadow finishes, since Shadow was filling the void of losing both Thief and their New IP while buying Crystal Dynamics time to reinvent the series again.

we're getting both an Avengers game AND a Guardians game?

what an age we live in

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
we're getting both an Avengers game AND a Guardians game?

what an age we live in
Those two are also just the start of Square Enix's plans. They're currently hunting up more developers to potentially do more product lines. I'm not sure if Peope Can Fly is part of that, or on something else though.

We will get details starting in 2018 For Square Enix's efforts.

FelipeMGM

Those two are also just the start of Square Enix's plans. They're currently hunting up more developers to potentially do more product lines. I'm not sure if Peope Can Fly is part of that, or on something else though.

We will get details starting in 2018 For Square Enix's efforts.

I wouldnt be surprised if they went after one of the Avalanche teams to work on a Marvel game too

Top Bottom