• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Jawmuncher

No assists makes the game less complicated because it limits the amount of stuff happening on screen. A lot of people felt too overwhelmed by it to even try playing. Most of us can follow it easy, though the same can't be said for others.

I saw lots of complaining about no assists for like the first week, but then it stopped. I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. As long as the game has good neutral and fun mechanics, everything should be good.

I guess, but that doesn't change the fact that combo links aren't exactly easy either.
Most people who play these games aren't going past knowing what inputs does a special attacks and not much else.

I see X-Men and FF characters. Just no way man. Just no way.

Marvel and Fox are somewhat…not friendly, but cooperating at the moment. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but Marvel letting Fox make Legion and other X-Men shows seems to be an indicator that they've come to some sort of agreement.

Weiss

Banned
I think 2v2 and no assists IS how they plan of it to be more casual friendly.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense.

2v2 for more accessibility I get and honestly I prefer it.

But losing assists feels less accessible and more the illusion of accessibility. Now you can't rely on an assist, now you have to GIT GUD at two characters and be at the top of your game all the time and effortlessly flow combos in between them, rather than having Ryu shoot off a hadoken so you can continue your combo.

Skab

No assists makes the game less complicated because it limits the amount of stuff happening on screen. A lot of people felt too overwhelmed by it to even try playing. Most of us can follow it easy, though the same can't be said for others.

I saw lots of complaining about no assists for like the first week, but then it stopped. I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. As long as the game has good neutral and fun mechanics, everything should be good.

That isn't because the complaint itself went away, it's because we still dont know shit about the game really, and people moved on to the next new news.

E3 cant get here soon enough.

2v2 for more accessibility I get and honestly I prefer it.

But losing assists feels less accessible and more the illusion of accessibility. Now you can't rely on an assist, now you have to GIT GUD at two characters and be at the top of your game all the time and effortlessly flow combos in between them, rather than having Ryu shoot off a hadoken so you can continue your combo.

I agree completely. I have no issues with 2v2, but no assists really bother me.

Dahbomb

No assists takes away a huge synergy aspect to the games as well as the flavor, pace and style of the games.

Now the game is more similar to a SFxT with better mobility/combo options.

Easily the worst decision made in the game thus far and has put a big damper on my hype for the game.

Neoxon

Marvel and Fox are somewhat…not friendly, but cooperating at the moment. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but Marvel letting Fox make Legion and other X-Men shows seems to be an indicator that they've come to some sort of agreement.
If I recall, Fox always had the live action TV rights to the X-Men. It's just that Marvel has to sign off on the show.

That said, I hope that it, Gifted, & Resurrxion are a sign that the X-Men may come back in future games & cartoons (MvCI included).

Numb

Capcom doesn't choose the Marvel characters, though. That's purely Marvel's call.

I'm still blaming Capcom somehow
full

smurfx

get some go again
No assists takes away a huge synergy aspect to the games as well as the flavor, pace and style of the games.

Easily the worst decision made in the game thus far and has put a big damper on my hype for the game.
no assists is going to deeply change the design of characters. there better not be characters like magneto or vergil if other characters don't each have tools to deal with their crap. i doubt capcom is going to make all the characters unique so i'm sure he will have many s tier characters from the start.

Weiss

Banned
no assists is going to deeply change the design of characters. there better not be characters like magneto or vergil if other characters don't each have tools to deal with their crap. i doubt capcom is going to make all the characters unique so i'm sure he will have many s tier characters from the start.

Yeah that's another major problem.

I think they just decided to start cutting shit in the name of accessibility and didn't think it through. TBH I would not be shocked if we did end up seeing assists return in some capacity. It's not like you can use a dedicated assist in 2v2 anyway; that's gimping half your team.

Skab

Sorry if I'm lttp but where did the mo assist rumor come from ?

It isn't a rumor, it was part of the details when they announced the game. 2v2, no assists, infinity gems acting as sort of an x-factor style system, but have also been labeled as "more like cvs2s groove system." What that means exactly, we don't know yet. Other than "each stone will grant one ability that can be activated at any time, and one stronger ability will be more rare."

Dremark

Banned
You do know that the current, hydra-cap isn't how cap actually is, right? It's a fucking plot device. Reality was warped. His background having been changed, causing him to be a different person, and guess what? Everything will then be changed back.

And not to mention the Cap in this game isn't the hydra cap. Next youre going to try and tell us is that Chris Evans Cap is a Nazi.

So, yeah, you're comment was pretty fucking dumb.

It's how the character is now. Characters do change permanently at times and even if they revert him back I don't think being a Nazi is something you should just be able to ignore and move on from.

Hank Pym hit his wife one time due to a miscommunication between the written and artist and has never been forgiven for it. Despite the way the justified the character change for Steve, I think this should be like that and be something permanently changing the character.

If you were to list just about any major Marvel character you want in, we could find some temporarily problematic elements about any of them throughout their publication history. You are WAY too caught up in a temporary plot twist that is narratively similar to brainwashing, which will certainly be undone fairly soon.

It's just silly, because appearances of these characters outside the comics will always be a portrayal of that character's "status quo", reflecting the common surface-level elements of the character.

Otherwise, I guess Hulk can't be in, because he's a rapist and cannibal (in some specific super-edgy alternate stories like Ultimate Marvel and Old Man Logan). Not to mention all the omnicidal villain characters... I mean, if they're going to be taking up any amount of roster space on either side, might as well not get the game at all, right? Or is Captain America being temporarily a Hydra agent (which won't even be reflected in the game) somehow fathoms worse than Dormammu wiping out entire planes of existence?

If you want to complain about how crappy the temporary brainwashing of Captain America by Hydra is in the comics, by all means, it's pretty shitty. But your hand-wringing is completely without warrant in regards to Cap's appearance in outside media in general, or Marvel vs Capcom more specifically.

EDIT: I fully hope I'll see you in the Injustice thread complaining about Superman and how he shouldn't even be in the game, since that game actually uses an explicitly fascist incarnation of Superman.

You seem to be overlooking (or possibly ignoring) what I'm actually saying. I don't have an issue with him being in the game, I have an issue with him being in the game as a hero. I don't follow Injustice or DC comics very closely but from the bit I've played of the first game off PS Plus, I'm going to guess he's probably not going to be a hero in Injustice 2 and if he is what he did in the first game isn't going to be handwaved. If he is that's pretty stupid but I take less issue with it because it's not attached to a real organization which committed genocide.

Your argument regarding different versions of the characters isn't without merit but the one in MVC is going to be based off the mainline version.

Ultimately what I'm saying isn't "they can't include this character because I don't like (aspect of character)", I'm saying that I don't like the way they are implementing the character because the way they changed the character should have permanent consequences and shouldn't have been done if they were just going to move on and pretend it never happened.

Dremark

Banned

I agree completely. I have no issues with 2v2, but no assists really bother me.

Ultimately we don't really know how it's going to turn out. I'll be the first to admit that the game being 2v2 rather than 3v3 and a lack of assists is a bummer.

I like being able to play more characters and building teams to work off synergy is something I found to be really enjoyable in the previous games. Also assists can cover character weaknesses and results in more viable characters.

For better or worse, they have a vision for this game and hopefully it will result in a game that is unique, fun and still feels like it benefits from being a versus game. I'm holding off on judging it based on what it's not going to be like and I'll make my judgement when we see what it actually turns out to be.

eggandI

Banned
The amount of tools characters have, the movement options and the type of sub mechanics the game has is what will ultimately make or break the game for me. I'm a big fan of X-Men vs Street Fighter so 2v2 and no assists is a great thing IMO.. as long as they expand on other parts of the game. What makes XvSF so good is that it hits a good middle ground between methodical neutral gameplay and dumb capcom marvel crazyness.

If they're going back to 2v2/no assists AND also simplifying characters and sub-mechanics then the game will be a disaster lol

What gives me hope is that this is being made in house at capcom and the man directing this game was also a lead developer on XvSF.

E- post #6666 😈

Weiss

Banned
So here's a fun little game; what minute thing are you inexplicably worried Capcom will utterly ruin in this?

Mine are:

- No Character themes.

- No special team intros.

- Two panel character artwork endings again (a joke needs to have three beats!)

- No character interactions in the slightest.

Oh and here's a biggun; no fucking Survival and Time Attack modes. That shit should be mandatory in fighting games. A Challenge Tower like MKX and more refined Mission mode would be nice too.

Neoxon

So here's a fun little game; what minute thing are you inexplicably worried Capcom will utterly ruin in this?

Mine are:

- No Character themes.

- No special team intros.

- Two panel character artwork endings again (a joke needs to have three beats!)

- No character interactions in the slightest.
To be fair, two-panel endings would be less of an issue now that there's a Cinematic Story Mode coming.

Jawmuncher

If none of the characters I want are in this game, capcom has failed.
They already took RE7 from me, I demand satisfaction.

The amount of tools characters have, the movement options and the type of sub mechanics the game has is what will ultimately make or break the game for me. I'm a big fan of X-Men vs Street Fighter so 2v2 and no assists is a great thing IMO.. as long as they expand on other parts of the game. What makes XvSF so good is that it hits a good middle ground between methodical neutral gameplay and dumb capcom marvel crazyness.

Agree with this. I actually preferred the core gameplay of XvSF compared to MvC2/3 as I just found multiple assists too much to get my head around, so I'm cautiously optimistic about them returning to 2v2, shame they'll never return to a 6 button SF layout though.

TreIII

No character themes would be tragic, though if the stage themes are as godlike as TvC:UAS' themes, I wouldn't mind as much.

I dunno. I've waited too long for the likes of X to get into a MvC, to not finally have one of his songs remixed! Having a good soundtrack with new and good renditions of character themes is the kind of easy lay up that I'd expect, at this point.

eggandI said:
he amount of tools characters have, the movement options and the type of sub mechanics the game has is what will ultimately make or break the game for me. I'm a big fan of X-Men vs Street Fighter so 2v2 and no assists is a great thing IMO.. as long as they expand on other parts of the game. What makes XvSF so good is that it hits a good middle ground between methodical neutral gameplay and dumb capcom marvel crazyness.

If they're going back to 2v2/no assists AND also simplifying characters and sub-mechanics then the game will be a disaster lol

What gives me hope is that this is being made in house at capcom and the man directing this game was also a lead developer on XvSF.

And as someone whose favorite game in the series is MSH, this is pretty much where I am, too.

I am definitely interested in seeing how the Gems will play out. The last bit we heard said it could be anything ranging from a Groove-like system to even effectively being the "third character/assist" on your team. Either way, I'd be down if they found a way to make "synergy" work in a different way.

I dunno. I've waited too long for the likes of X to get into a MvC, to not finally have one of his songs remixed! Having a good soundtrack with new and good renditions of character themes is the kind of easy lay up that I'd expect, at this point.
Oh, definitely. I'm really hoping he gets a remix of Central Highway or Sky Lagoon.

I think MvC3 handled things rather well there, being able to switch between character themes and stage themes.

TreIII

Oh, definitely. I'm really hoping he gets a remix of Central Highway or Sky Lagoon.

I think MvC3 handled things rather well there, being able to switch between character themes and stage themes.

Agreed, as even I will admit that a few of the stage themes were pretty good (even if they didn't quite beat TvC:UAS's).

As for X's ideal song...I'm torn between either Central Highway or X2's Intro Song. Dunno if it's truly the song's name, but I've heard it called "The Mavericks' Last Stand".

Your argument regarding different versions of the characters isn't without merit but the one in MVC is going to be based off the mainline version.

Ultimately what I'm saying isn't "they can't include this character because I don't like (aspect of character)", I'm saying that I don't like the way they are implementing the character because the way they changed the character should have permanent consequences and shouldn't have been done if they were just going to move on and pretend it never happened.

Alright, that's a bit more nuanced than I was picking up at first, so thank you for the elaboration. Respectfully, I still think it's making a bigger deal out of the current plot twist than it is worth.

Cap is Hydra right now because the cosmic cube literally altered history, which means that depending on how you look at it the current Steve Rogers in the comics is more akin to an alternate reality version of Steve Rogers. And in all likelihood, history will just get re-rewritten sloppily to undo all of this at the end.

The Captain America we get in MvC won't be a straight export of the comics cap, he's just a generic Kroger-brand Captain America based on the most common recurring traits of the character, so it isn't like the game is going to excuse or justify (or probably even mention) his brief stint as Hydra.

I feel like I understand your position a little better, I just don't think the logic follows that because this Cap is inspired by comics Cap that a shitty temporary plot twist makes treating him as a hero inherently problematic (especially when, again, historical revision makes Hydra Cap basically a completely different entity, depending on how you view Marvel's abysmal plot fuckery).

I've been thinking about this for a few days, but I wonder if "accessibility" doesn't necessarily mean "make the metagame easier for normies" but "make it easier for standard fighting game skills to transfer to MvC".

Because I know a lot of guys who are great at games like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear, but then the assists in MvC change the game so much that those fundamentals don't really prepare them for what actual meta play is like.

I mean, casual players never touched the depths of the assist system, and they'll be there more for the story mode and some couch multiplayer than any real competitive scene. Capcom MUST know that.

Regardless, I agree that removing the assists is going to drastically change the way characters are designed, but that's something I am 100% sure Capcom understands. We're not going to see MvC3 Viewtiful Joe vs MvC3 Magneto, returning characters will DEFINITELY be reworked.

I'd rather them go with the LP, LK, HP, HK layout, or the six button layout. The LMH layout was cool for what it was, but I don't want it to return.

Weiss

Banned
I'd rather them go with the LP, LK, HP, HK layout, or the six button layout. The LMH layout was cool for what it was, but I don't want it to return.

Given Maximillian's interpretation of the footage it probably will be LP-LK-HP-HK-Tag-Stone.

I guess it's possible they do LMHS as a four button layout. S to tag and LMH to activate the stone. I might prefer that.

Weiss

Banned
TvC had tags and Baroque, and that worked fine for the most part.

Yeah TvC had S for assists Back-S for swapping. It'll probably be the same here with assists replaced with Tagging

I forget how Baroque activated. Come to think of it there probably will be a dedicated Stone button since they seem to have actual attacks to them now.

Weiss

Banned
Okay how does this sound:

Tap S to unleash your assist.

Hold S during a combo to tag in another character or raw tag out.

I just really want assists back ;_;

I'm still in agreement with Max's interpretation right now. 6 button, LP-HP-LK-HK-TAG-STONE.

It's plenty simple for a fightstick, and fits well on a gamepad too if you assume Tag and Stone will be L1/L2 with the Rs saved for All Punch and All Kick. And I do think it makes sense given what little we've seen of the characters' attack strings, Ryu in particular.

Neoxon

I'm still in agreement with Max's interpretation right now. 6 button, LP-HP-LK-HK-TAG-STONE.

It's plenty simple for a fightstick, and fits well on a gamepad too if you assume Tag and Stone will be L1/L2 with the Rs saved for All Punch and All Kick. And I do think it makes sense given what little we've seen of the characters' attack strings, Ryu in particular.
It's usually the R's that are used for heavy attacks, with the L's being all punches & all kicks.

It's usually the R's that are used for heavy attacks, with the L's being all punches & all kicks.

I always change this up so that L1 is HP, L2 is LMHP, R1 is HK, and R2 is LMHK.

I wish it was defaulted like that. I associate punches and kicks as a left-right sort of thing on the controller rather than up-down. It's also consistent through the button shapes.

Yeah, in Street Fighter, where you have three levels of punch and kick. But if this is only low and high, with no medium, then the all punch and all kick could be put on the Rs. That's how it was for console ports of MvC2, and MvC3 used R2 for all attack.

Regardless, it'll be remappable no matter what the control scheme is, and most serious players will use fightsticks anyway.

I always change this up so that L1 is HP, L2 is LMHP, R1 is HK, and R2 is LMHK.

I wish it was defaulted like that. I associate punches and kicks as a left-right sort of thing on the controller rather than up-down. It's also consistent through the button shapes.
SNES style.

Top Bottom