• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

J-Tier

Check the thread again, the rumor was an April Fool's joke.
I didn't click the link. I take any and all opportunities to plug DmC Dante in. I'm sure my relatively frequent posts should mess with Capcom''s Google search algorithm enough that they'll think he's popular along with Regina.

So I realized that with a new MvC game there'll be new character themes. Really hoping we'll get some badass tunes to go along with Captain Marvel, Ultron and whomever else, and some cool remixes of the older character themes.
If MvC3 and UMvC got anything right, it was the awesome music.

hENbsmd.jpg

So Dracula plays Marvel.

Don't worry. "It Probably Means Nothing" should be posted at the top of this thread at this point.

All I got from that is bad Google Translation but

I could see us MAYBE getting MVCI toy news there finally, but I don't see anything for the game. Unless they reveal a character or two through toys...I doubt it though

Dremark

Banned
Alright, that's a bit more nuanced than I was picking up at first, so thank you for the elaboration. Respectfully, I still think it's making a bigger deal out of the current plot twist than it is worth.

Cap is Hydra right now because the cosmic cube literally altered history, which means that depending on how you look at it the current Steve Rogers in the comics is more akin to an alternate reality version of Steve Rogers. And in all likelihood, history will just get re-rewritten sloppily to undo all of this at the end.

The Captain America we get in MvC won't be a straight export of the comics cap, he's just a generic Kroger-brand Captain America based on the most common recurring traits of the character, so it isn't like the game is going to excuse or justify (or probably even mention) his brief stint as Hydra.

I feel like I understand your position a little better, I just don't think the logic follows that because this Cap is inspired by comics Cap that a shitty temporary plot twist makes treating him as a hero inherently problematic (especially when, again, historical revision makes Hydra Cap basically a completely different entity, depending on how you view Marvel's abysmal plot fuckery).

I've been thinking about this for a few days, but I wonder if "accessibility" doesn't necessarily mean "make the metagame easier for normies" but "make it easier for standard fighting game skills to transfer to MvC".

Because I know a lot of guys who are great at games like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear, but then the assists in MvC change the game so much that those fundamentals don't really prepare them for what actual meta play is like.

I mean, casual players never touched the depths of the assist system, and they'll be there more for the story mode and some couch multiplayer than any real competitive scene. Capcom MUST know that.

Regardless, I agree that removing the assists is going to drastically change the way characters are designed, but that's something I am 100% sure Capcom understands. We're not going to see MvC3 Viewtiful Joe vs MvC3 Magneto, returning characters will DEFINITELY be reworked.

Yeah, like I said before you have a valid viewpoint, but it's just not how I see it. Honestly I don't really have an issue with a lot of things people often consider to be problematic being included in works, but it really depends on how it's implemented.

A bad guy doing bad things makes sense, a good guy can do bad things (within reason) sometimes if it's presented as a character flaw. I think turning this character into a Nazi, then going back and making him the most respected hero in the Marvel Universe again is kind of disgusting, regardless of how they justify it.

Again, you disagree and I respect that, my viewpoint is certainly not the only valid one, but I think if they were going to go this route it should have some gravity to it.

Anyway moving on as far as gameplay design goes with the systems being removed I have very little doubt that the character designs will shift to accommodate it. The previous games were designed for 3v3 and some of them would have just plain not worked in a game without assists to cover weaknesses.

The Marvel games have always been in kind of an odd spot as far as accessibility goes, I would say as far as being able to pick up and play the game they are easier for casuals to play, but as you mentioned going into competitive, it's kind of it's own beast. The removal of assists and dropping it to 2v2 will make it easier for people to transition to but I'm hoping this isn't at the cost of overall depth.

Neoxon

Yes, SFV is a great example of how much they listen.
They're slow about it, sure, but we did get some fan-requested characters (Alex, Urien, Karin, Rainbow Mika, etc.) & the CFN update alone is aiming to address many of our complaints about the game's online (plus Training Mode).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yes, SFV is a great example of how much they listen.

Real talk, they put fan favorite characters like Alex,Akuma and Urien, theyre also rebalancing Season 2 and rolling back changes like the DP nerf.
I think they listen, but they botch so many stuff that the good things get lost.

Neoxon

Real talk, they put fan favorite characters like Alex,Akuma and Urien, theyre also rebalancing Season 2 and rolling back changes like the DP nerf.
I think they listen, but they botch so many stuff that the good things get lost.
This basically nails it. It's not that Capcom isn't trying, it's just that they slip up a lot along the way. Though the DP change is less of a rollback & more of them meeting us half-way by making Necalli's DP change universal. The things that Capcom does get right are done pretty damn well, like Urien (hell, his Loincloth look is even a free easter egg done in the best way possible).

Jawmuncher

They haven't listened until I see Q

Dremark

Banned
They're slow about it, sure, but we did get some fan-requested characters (Alex, Urien, Karin, Rainbow Mika, etc.) & the CFN update alone is aiming to address many of our complaints about the game's online (plus Training Mode).

Yeah, I suppose when you look at it that way it's actually true. Granted they've been screwing up a lot of stuff they shouldn't have screwed up to begin with and they are slow, I suppose I can't deny they are trying to make it right.

Neoxon

Yeah, I suppose when you look at it that way it's actually true. Granted they've been screwing up a lot of stuff they shouldn't have screwed up to begin with and they are slow, I suppose I can't deny they are trying to make it right.
Plus, as much as GAF wants it to go away, SFV isn't going anywhere anytime soon (especially with it being the center of the competitive scene). But I do agree that Capcom needs to pick up the pace.

Neoxon

Yeah, like I said before you have a valid viewpoint, but it's just not how I see it. Honestly I don't really have an issue with a lot of things people often consider to be problematic being included in works, but it really depends on how it's implemented.

A bad guy doing bad things makes sense, a good guy can do bad things (within reason) sometimes if it's presented as a character flaw. I think turning this character into a Nazi, then going back and making him the most respected hero in the Marvel Universe again is kind of disgusting, regardless of how they justify it.

Again, you disagree and I respect that, my viewpoint is certainly not the only valid one, but I think if they were going to go this route it should have some gravity to it.

Anyway moving on as far as gameplay design goes with the systems being removed I have very little doubt that the character designs will shift to accommodate it. The previous games were designed for 3v3 and some of them would have just plain not worked in a game without assists to cover weaknesses.

The Marvel games have always been in kind of an odd spot as far as accessibility goes, I would say as far as being able to pick up and play the game they are easier for casuals to play, but as you mentioned going into competitive, it's kind of it's own beast. The removal of assists and dropping it to 2v2 will make it easier for people to transition to but I'm hoping this isn't at the cost of overall depth.
You're over-thinking it hardcore. The only reason Cap's HYDRA is because of the Cosmic Cube via Red Skull
(who's now dead at the hands of HYDRA Cap)
. Once the others realize this, they'll find a way to undo the change & we'll be back to the Steve Rogers we know & love.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This basically nails it. It's not that Capcom isn't trying, it's just that they slip up a lot along the way. Though the DP change is less of a rollback & more of them meeting us half-way by making Necalli's DP change universal. The things that Capcom does get right are done pretty damn well, like Urien (hell, his Loincloth look is even a free easter egg done in the best way possible).

Yeah for example:
Capcom: "Hey guys, we heard you wanted more content so we're revamping our economy system and adding skins and stages"
Also Capcom: "Here's a rootkit"

I respect the effort tho.

TreIII

No thanks, but out Trish and put in lady. Makes more sense. A trinity of DMC3 characters. Not two from 3 and a shoehorned character from 1.

It makes perfect sense, when you consider that those three characters originate from the very first DMC, and MvC just uses the most idealized versions of those characters to make for a fighting game roster rep.

I mean, I would have rather have a bonafide Cursed Vergil with a Nelo Angelo DT, but I'll take what I can get!

Jawmuncher

It makes perfect sense, when you consider that those three characters originate from the very first DMC, and MvC just uses the most idealized versions of those characters to make for a fighting game roster rep.

I mean, I would have rather have a bonafide Cursed Vergil with a Nelo Angelo DT, but I'll take what I can get!

I mean you can swing it that way. But when both Dante and Vergil have their 3 designs it's still off. If Vergil was actually Nelo angelo in MVC id concede.

Ryce

I mean you can swing it that way. But when both Dante and Vergil have their 3 designs it's still off. If Vergil was actually Nelo angelo in MVC id concede.
Why does every character from the same series have to come from the same game? I don't want Nemesis cut just because he doesn't appear in RE5.

AdaWong

No thanks, but out Trish and put in lady. Makes more sense. A trinity of DMC3 characters. Not two from 3 and a shoehorned character from 1.

Excuse you. Lady is not only trash, but to have her without Trish is like having Rebecca in MVC without Jill.

Jawmuncher

Excuse you. Lady is not only trash, but to have her without Trish is like having Rebecca in MVC without Jill.

I'm ok with both of those things

Why does every character from the same series have to come from the same game? I don't want Nemesis cut just because he doesn't appear in RE5.

They don't need to, but in the case of DMC I guess it just stood out to me more. Since there was a character from the game the other two were in, that could replace her. RE5 didn't have any iconic BOWs they could've used for having a monster/heavy role. So it's more of a nitpick, but much like the RE roles. I'm down for a shake up on representation.

Exactly. What would be interesting would be to have Trish, Vergil, and Dante, but each representing each DMC game.
Dante/DMC4
Vergil/DMC3
Trish/DMC1
Dlc could be alts from other games like Trish has Gloria alt or even her DMC4 version. As well as Dante having Sparda costume, and so on.

And just for jawmuncher, Lady could be in with her DMC4 look and DMC3 alt.
Or have Regina as an alt because you know, not getting a new game :p

Neoxon

On one hand Rocket might not have his violent Cockney accent in this game.

On the other Strange might look like Bramblepatch Cuddlebump, which is good in my book.
Rocket probably won't, but that's the thing about the MCU being the one to make the Guardians into household names.

The more that I think about it, the more it is possible that something could be shown off at the Marvel exhibition this Friday in Japan.

Ono visited Marvel in CA, talked about how they had a good conference, then stopped himself from going further about what they were doing next. Now one could easily say Ono would've been referring to E3, but that seems way too obvious. Like, everyone knows Infinite will be at E3 and that wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Since then, Ono's made a few tweets talking about meeting up with the Infinite team or eating near their studio somewhere in Osaka. He's just been talking Infinite a lot more in general, which leads me to believe something is brewing.

Whether it's toys, images, or whatever, just let something be announced. I won't be disappointed because I'm not expecting anything. I just think these next few months will suck less if we got a little something.

Edit: I forgot Japan is already like a day ahead of us. Now I'm not so sure.

Edit 2: Yeah, Nemo said he had a great time there. Nothing is getting announced. Bodied before it started.

Weiss

Banned
The more that I think about it, the more it is possible that something could be shown off at the Marvel exhibition this Friday in Japan.

Ono visited Marvel in CA, talked about how they had a good conference, then stopped himself from going further about what they were doing next. Now one could easily say Ono would've been referring to E3, but that seems way too obvious. Like, everyone knows Infinite will be at E3 and that wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Since then, Ono's made a few tweets talking about meeting up with the Infinite team or eating near their studio somewhere in Osaka. He's just been talking Infinite a lot more in general, which leads me to believe something is brewing.

Whether it's toys, images, or whatever, just let something be announced. I won't be disappointed because I'm not expecting anything. I just think these next few months will suck less if we got a little something.

Edit: I forgot Japan is already like a day ahead of us. Now I'm not so sure.

Edit 2: Yeah, Nemo said he had a great time there. Nothing is getting announced. Bodied before it started.

Who's Nemo?

Besides isn't it like 7:30 AM in Japan right now?

Like I'm not gonna say IT'S HAPPENING, but you'd think a Marvel exhibit in Japan would mean something. Even just a "hey we're still working on it."

Yes, you're right. It's only a little after 9AM right now. I assumed it was more late for some reason.

There's still a chance.

bubumiao

Like I'm not gonna say IT'S HAPPENING, but you'd think a Marvel exhibit in Japan would mean something. Even just a "hey we're still working on it."

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

The most news you're getting this week that's Marvel/video game related is that shitty looking free to play game.

Honestly, I didn't find Trish to be that fun to play as in MvC3. Didn't even really bother with her in Ultimate. I'd rather see them bring Lady in as long as it's not her DMC4 design.

Also, does anyone have that old Unofficial UMvC3 NeoGaf fan patch pdf? I can't find it anywhere.

Top Bottom