• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Spade

Can't wait til things calm down. Tatsunoko vs Capcom only had 26 characters and people are singing its praises. MvCI has 28, plus 6 from DLC and all of a sudden it's shite. Realistically, the ones proclaiming they aren't going to buy it now are being either reactive or never had intentions to buy the game.

Agreed but I'll say, let them not buy it then. Better off without that noise. I don't like some stuff I've read but I'm snagging that CE and can only hope Capcom does their best.

NotLiquid

Hype -1000.

I'm laughing (and crying) over here.

Seriously, guys, prepare yourself. The launch roster is a massive fucking disappointment.

Those 28 picks better be godlike.
Oh, they're not.

iortGy3.gif

Neoxon

This isn't counting sigma since he's dlc correct?

Newcomers

X
Captain Marvel
Ultron
Ant-Man (probably)
Cool animations darkstalker
????
????
I'd imagine that one of the remaining 2 is a new Guardians of the Galaxy rep, given that we have 3 GotG variant covers.....unless they're DLC, too.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait til things calm down. Tatsunoko vs Capcom only had 26 characters and people are singing its praises. MvCI has 28, plus 6 from DLC and all of a sudden it's shite. Realistically, the ones proclaiming they aren't going to buy it now are being either reactive or never had intentions to buy the game.
My beef is with the roster being mostly returning characters and reused animations, while most of the other games had ample new characters.

PSqueak

Banned

TVC was the first one with 3d graphics and non recyclable assets, MVCI is coming after UMVC3 and has tons of recyclable assets they could use to inflate the roster.

Having that in mind, TVC had a decently sized roster.

What I don't understand is that Ryce has been in the know about a lot of things since...well, the beginning. For all intents and purposes, he seemed pretty sure that the roster would be great.

Did something change in development that made this a huge disappointment? It seems odd that this suddenly became a thing that fast.

paolo11

It would be best if they would delay the game and release it next year. Just add more characters then release it.

To be honest, I know who I'm going to use in this game (X and Ryu)so I'm ok but I really prefer more new characters.

Jawmuncher

What I don't understand is that Ryce has been in the know about a lot of things since...well, the beginning. For all intents and purposes, he seemed pretty sure that the roster would be great.

Did something change in development that made this a huge disappointment? It seems odd that this suddenly became a thing that fast.

seems that this first season of characters are basically going to be newcomers who should've been in the base game.

I'm talking about characters new to the series, like Captain Marvel and Ultron, not the actual roster count. There are only seven characters in this game who weren't playable in a previous entry. That's pathetic.

Tekken 7 only has 8 characters who weren't playable in previous games (not counting Master Raven who uses Raven animations)...and that game has been in development longer than MvCi.

Heck, T7 has been OUT for two years.

The rest of the cast is still sporting animations from 15+ years ago.

Is T7 also pathetic?

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Of course they're reactive. Why wouldn't they be reactive? Would you have prefered people be proactive and had called the game shit from minute 1? What type of complain is this?

Also, I had every intention of buying the game. I fucking love the Versus series. I wasn't going to buy the edition with the statues and stuff. But I was there day 1. Knowing how disappointing the base roster is, I feel that waiting for "season 1" to finish before buying is fair.

sephi22

Eat my dick Capcom.
Suck on my nuts Senor Rosas.

Fuck this company. I can't tell if Wwe or Capcom is more incompetent now. Both bent on killing my interests.

So glad I didn't get peer pressured into the $200 cashgrab edition

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Learned some new details over the weekend. I'm going to try to keep it vague and not confirm any characters specifically to avoid ending up on Eventhubs or whatever.

- 28 character launch roster, I know all of them but 1 for sure and I think I might know who the last one is.
- No Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fight or Okami characters. No Ms. Marvel, no X-Men or F4 to speak of.
- Of the remaining cast there's one returning MvC2 character, nine characters coming back from 3 (ten if the last character is who I think it is) and only four more newcomers.
- I know of one DLC character besides Sigma and he's coming back from MvC2, not sure if he's scheduled for this year or next year.

There's definitely some cool surprises left but I get the impression most people are going to be disappointed.
Damn. I guess it's not long before the list leaks in full?

Dunno how I feel about 28 characters. It's good enough for 2v2 gameplay, but seems anemic especially when they've got so many assets to work from.

How small is this budget and why the fuck does Capcom refuse to invest in its IPs? How long do you have to fall before you realize you're on a slippery slope?

There's only one non-MCU Marvel character.
dead if this is Shuma, it's a port, and they spin it as fan service

I can't believe there's only one female character left to be revealed.
DR2K crine

no ms marvel man what
Relatively small roster or not, I tried to warn y'all.

Ryce

Tekken 7 only has 8 characters who weren't playable in previous games (not counting Master Raven who uses Raven animations)...and that game has been in development longer than MvCi.

Is T7 also pathetic?
Apples and oranges.

MvC and Tekken are completely different series with completely different expectations. A big (perhaps the biggest) appeal of MvC is seeing new characters pulled from your favorite Capcom games and Marvel comics. MvC3 did incredibly well on this front.

Jawmuncher

Of course they're reactive. Why wouldn't they be reactive? Would you have prefered people be proactive and had called the game shit from minute 1? What type of complain is this?

Also, I had every intention of buying the game. I fucking love the Versus series. I wasn't going to buy the edition with the statues and stuff. But I was there day 1. Knowing how disappointing the base roster is, I feel that waiting for "season 1" to finish before buying is fair.

Yep, that's what i'll be waiting for now too if all of this pans out.

JazzmanZ

Apples and oranges.

MvC and Tekken are completely different series with completely different expectations. A big (perhaps the biggest) appeal of MvC is seeing new characters pulled from your favorite Capcom games and Marvel comics. MvC3 did incredibly well on this front.

I thought th appeal to MvC was how flashy it was

TvC had an extremely varied roster filled with newly modeled and animated newcomers and a lot of obscure characters. Not comparable at all.

True, but most of the reactions here are basically saying they'd rather no new game be made at all. That's the definition of hyperbolic. If there are gameplay problems, that would be a different story, but if the rest of the game meets or exceeds expectations and the character count is what makes or breaks your decision to get the game, I'd question how much of a fan you are of the game itself vs someone who buys a game because your favorite character is in it.

I'm more interested in damage and combos, or even if they updated and brightened the visuals since last reveal trailers. 28 characters on a 2-person team is plenty, and only Street Fighter x Tekken comes to mind for fighters that had 2 person teams and more characters than that, especially at launch.

SaikyoBro

From my perspective, things seemed that way because we got a lot of good info upfront from PSX. F4/X-Men not in the base game but at least they're DLC, Spencer being leaked seemed like a good sign for other Capcom veterans, and, well, they finally had Mega Man.

I don't think anyone's excitement was ever necessarily for the base roster, more that the fact the game existed and had potential to become huge with actual DLC support this time.

kirblar

From my perspective, things seemed that way because we got a lot of good info upfront from PSX. F4/X-Men not in the base game but at least they're DLC, Spencer being leaked seemed like a good sign for other Capcom veterans, and, well, they finally had Mega Man.

I don't think anyone's excitement was ever necessarily for the base roster, more that the fact the game existed and had potential to become huge with actual DLC support this time.
Have you heard anything about the S2 roster size?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IIRC MvC2 and MvC3 both had around 1/3 of the characters as being new to the franchise. With MvC:I, it's closer to a quarter. Might have been slightly higher for MvC2 depending on how you define "new."

Damn, what a time to check out the thread. :(

No Viewtiful Joe or Ammy? I can't say I enjoyed playing as them but I loved that they were in regardless. Not having Joe or Ammy in really takes away from the roster diversity too since they had very unique character designs.

This still isn't looking as bad as SFV but this is really disappointing nonetheless. I probably shouldn't have expected better from Capcom. It's astonishing how little they've learned over the years.

I do wonder why Marvel is seemingly okay with this, though. They made a big deal back when the PS4 Spider-Man game was shown off that they were putting a big emphasis on making actual quality products in the future but this isn't looking like it'll match up with that statement.

Makes sense. I just don't know why Capcom continues to make things harder than they need to be. Do they seriously not see backlash from releasing the game like this? It's almost as if they're in a different world at times.

Can you confirm if any of the returning characters at least look different?

kirblar

Damn, what a time to check out the thread. :(

No Viewtiful Joe or Ammy? I can't say I enjoyed playing as them but I loved that they were in regardless. Not having Joe or Ammy in really takes away from the roster diversity too since they had very unique character designs.

This still isn't looking as bad as SFV but this is really disappointing nonetheless. I probably shouldn't have expected better from Capcom. It's astonishing how little they've learned over the years.

I do wonder why Marvel is seemingly okay with this, though. They made a big deal back when the PS4 Spider-Man game was shown off that they were putting a big emphasis on making actual quality products in the future but this isn't looking like it'll match up with that statement.
Small characters are going to be rough to get into this game because it's proportioned much more similarly to SFV or Marvel Super Heroes. The screen isn't stretching as much as it did in 2/3.

Learned some new details over the weekend. I'm going to try to keep it vague and not confirm any characters specifically to avoid ending up on Eventhubs or whatever.

- 28 character launch roster, I know all of them but 1 for sure and I think I might know who the last one is.
- No Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fight or Okami characters. No Ms. Marvel, no X-Men or F4 to speak of.
- Of the remaining cast there's one returning MvC2 character, nine characters coming back from 3 (ten if the last character is who I think it is) and only four more newcomers.
- I know of one DLC character besides Sigma and he's coming back from MvC2, not sure if he's scheduled for this year or next year.

There's definitely some cool surprises left but I get the impression most people are going to be disappointed.
Laaaaaaaaaame :( Looks like no Demitri either. Only hope I have left is that Captain Commando is one of the returning characters...

ZSeba

No Ms. Marvel ?

SAD

SaikyoBro

Makes sense. I just don't know why Capcom continues to make things harder than they need to be. Do they seriously not see backlash from releasing the game like this? It's almost as if they're in a different world at times.

Can you confirm if any of the returning characters at least look different?

I haven't seen seen any of their in-game appearances so no. I will say the pattern of old characters getting new moves continues though, there's a Capcom character getting a new tool that sounds like it's going to help him out a lot.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Is T7 also pathetic?

Does T7 look like a budget title compared to its contemporaries? Does T7 have a worse F:M character ratio than any other game in its series? Does T7 seem like it was made for quick turnover?

Also different kind of fighters have different priorities.

True, but most of the reactions here are basically saying they'd rather no new game be made at all. That's the definition of hyperbolic. If there are gameplay problems, that would be a different story, but if the rest of the game meets or exceeds expectations and the character count is what makes or breaks your decision to get the game, I'd question how much of a fan you are of the game itself vs someone who buys a game because your favorite character is in it.

Noones saying that. You're the one peddling hyperbole here. Most people here are saying that a crossover fighter who's initial appeal is the roster of fighters is lacking in that department, they could have perhaps delayed the game till more characters were ready, and the roster wasn't so anaemic and a sausagefest.

Also, nice "True Fan" argument, basically saying that if you play a fighting game casually you're not a "real fan". A "real" fan wouldn't care about characters, right?

A "fan" isn't lesser for caring about characters over gameplay. Get over yourself.

Neoxon

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining newcomers was leaked under our noses. Like, way back when the game was first revealed.

I haven't seen seen any of their in-game appearances so no. I will say the pattern of old characters getting new moves continues though, there's a Capcom character getting a new tool that sounds like it's going to help him out a lot.

Thanks, Saikyo.

I have no idea what to think about this game anymore.

I'll still play it because it's Marvel, but I'm really disappointed with the choices. I'm hoping they delay it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining newcomers was leaked under our noses. Like, way back when the game was first revealed.
If I wasn't on my phone ATM, I'd be cross-referencing older leaks. Although, at this point it seems most were fan fiction (to be expected).

Lulubop

You sure about that?

Yes

You think that matters when IJ2 is 1v1 with more characters? Ok, the niche VS series fans can look past it, congrats on your 10k sales. additionally it'll have less SP content than it's peers, additionally it looks like shit, additionally the returning characters have a ton of reused assets. Do you not see how the lack of shit hurt SFV? Capcom doesn't have the benefit of the doubt anymore, the have no good will press and public are going to obliterate MVCI if this is true.

Top Bottom