• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Serious question for all the Marvel-heads.

How are you feeling about these changes compared to the previous games? Now that we've seen and played the game, gotten much more information on the changes and systems. Do you think you'll have the same love for this game that you had for the previous Marvel game(s) (I'm talking purely on a gameplay level, not on a visuals level).

How are you feeling about these changes compared to the previous games? Now that we've seen and played the game, gotten much more information on the changes and systems. Do you think you'll have the same love for this game that you had for the previous Marvel game(s) (I'm talking purely on a gameplay level, not on a visuals level).

Regarding the gameplay, everyone is hype as hell @ my local gathering. We were all scared, but the videos we've seen + some thoughts from people who played the game during the press tour really hyped us.

If we strictly talk about gameplay, the game is already better than Marvel vs Capcom 3.

We can't wait for the release of the game, but we're really disappointed by Capcom because we think that the game will flop, and that it will be hard to us to have new players.

ZeroCDR

I've only had a little bit of time with the demo which I enjoyed, but it's difficult to explore characters against the low health drones, I also don't have an arcade stick for PS4 yet so the pad got me down.

But seeing top level players get their hands on the game really hammered it home, this is still Marvel. It remains to be seen if I'll like it as much as 2 or 3, but the possibilities are looking solid. I'd still like to see how 3v3 would work in this new tag format but 2v2 looks just fine here. The roster is potentially looking better as well, we'll just have to see how these leaks pan out, but I am confident this game will see a lot of additional character DLC over the next few years anyway.

MrCarter

SFV failed in terms of it's sales goal as presented to its shareholders. Even if those players are still playing and enjoying it. it's a failure by Capcom's own metric, and it's one that shareholders care about it meeting.

Yes, perhaps from thier own goals but I don't think it failed in terms of general fighting game sales or gameplay perception IMO. Each title in the franchise typically lasts for a generation so they still have time to grow, especially if they release new retail packages.

SFV missed expectations and for being essentially the #1 franchise in the fighting space (I think MK might hce recently passed it overall sales wise, in not sure). It's rather sad all things considered. It might not be SFxT levels of failure thanks to its continued support as tournament presence. But it's a far cry from where it should've been at this point of time. The other issue is the sales are stagnating. They're not interesting anyone new to hop on even with their numerous sales. This game should be selling consistently.

The newest iteration of SF shouldn't be struggling in any form like it is.

After a year sales will obviously stagnate, it happens with big single player games so it's not rare for that to happen to a niche genre such as fighting games. SFV's issue was that t didn't have "enough" content like Arcade mode during its realease and by the time it had other single player modes people didn't want to know. I've noticed that it sells during sales on Steam consistently so that's something I suppose.

I firmly believe that Super Street Fighter V, if it's real, would get the game a bigger audience. Especially if they do a whole new presentation ala SF4 > SSF4.

It's alleged to be a free update for current owners so no harm, no foul. But $40 for a rebranded SFV with all of Season 1, maybe even Season 2, would be massive.

The other option, which I think would make just as much sense, is to go F2P with a small rotating free base roster. The way it is set up with Fight Money is already using the model.

SSFV is something they NEED to do in order to win back some of thier "casual" fanbase - $40 - $45 should be a good price. After that I could see them use the F2P model as a type of continuous service model that only profit from characters and DLC items similar to LoL.

Neoxon

Everyone has resorted to calling people "shills" for not disliking the game. It's pathetic at this point.
Agreed. I can understand the story, character models, roster, & art style complaints. But to say that the gameplay doesn't look awesome is kinda letting the hate blind you.

Risero

Banned

I fully expect to enjoy this game as much as 3 despite the small launch roster. The most fun part of Mahvel isn't the online, it's not the arcade, hell its not even local VS. The most fun part of Mahvel has always been the training mode where you are given an insane amount freedom to expirement with and create combos with different teams and the stone and tag systems only serve to greatly expand what you can do way more than what X factor and DHC's allowed

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
https://youtu.be/bqOF2U5QX7I

Desk discovered an Infinite Prevention system in Marvel Infinite.
I like this, reminds me of how KOs looked in previous MvC games with how they flip out. Nice little nod. #legacynotlost

It's more similar to older MvC titles than people think, mostly because for most, MvC2 was the jumping on point (including myself). And I think Combo/Mike have done a pretty damn good job of justifying going from 3v3 to 2v2 and the potential gameplay benefits and issues of 3v3 games that were clear as day in MvC2 and MvC3 which the 2v2 format helps alleviate (e.g. after thinking through it a lot more, larger team sizes only allow for more of the most dominant characters to be concentrated and go unchallenged). In that respect, it's a bit of a gift and a curse when it comes to character variability. You lose that extra character, which hurts team variability, but you gain the infinity stone and your characters can combo off of each other more easily and less restrained than ever.

It's just a different game with a faster flow of gameplay going between characters, but people aren't looking that deep into the mechanics. I don't blame them for it since people just want to fiddle with their favourite characters and call it a day, but this shit looks fun as hell and the gameplay foundation seems solid even in the absence of assists.

To me, MvC is about teamwork and teambuilding, having a large roster of fan favourites, and fast, frantic action. That's still all there, in different permutations before. People draw lines in the sand differently for what constitutes teamwork (i.e. must be assists) or what fan favourites are (and as we all know this is the biggest sticking point), but it checks out for me.

In play, the game distinctively looks and plays like an MvC game, that's all there is to it. The Mahvel I know and love is there with a different structure to it, but it's there. And as someone who missed the MvC1 wave, the infinity stone stuff brings a welcomes splash of colour and diversity to it all too.

Seyavesh

its a lot more interesting than i expected at the strategic level but theres aspects of the gamefeel at the mechanical level which don't really make sense to me like why airdashing is so smooth/as fast as 3 but ground movement is so stiff or why the fb reflect on pushblock mechanic even exists

the hangtime is somewhat jarring too- idk why they didnt shorten it to make up for the diff. screen spacing so it makes that airdash/non-dasher dichotomy even bigger since nonairdashers have to rely on the down DI to descend from that shit (which is also why down DI exists, i assume)- it creates just as much of an issue w chasing SJ height airdashers as flyscreen did in 3

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's a meme now. Like Collarduty last year (curiously both have infinite in their subtitles). Basically, people are dipshits.

Max's (positive) MvC:I E3 impressions
Funny how the narrative that set in forces him to justify why he can't just be negative like people would want him to be lol.
Max kind of corroborating that the story demo was an older build of the game, which is what we're hearing from other pros too. Nice that the devs listened to his feedback about the visuals and stuff. It's good to know it's at least on their radar.

A lot of gameplay in here. Notably some familiar looking Morrigan fly combos, but with self-OTGing, some Chun combos and Megaman X stuff. Haven't been keeping up with Megaman X, but he has a ton of tools for space control. Actually reminding me of MvC2 Megaman in a few ways.

God, Nova looks so fucking sexy with his shiny armor. Wonder if he still has Centurion Rush, projectile invulnerability properties and all.

I completely forgot Ouroboros is 1 meter again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol at Max having to say not once but twice during the video (intro and midway) the game is actually really good but people will say im a shill for saying that.

Fuck the internet.

vg260

Yes, perhaps from thier own goals but I don't think it failed in terms of general fighting game sales or gameplay perception IMO. Each title in the franchise typically lasts for a generation so they still have time to grow, especially if they release new retail packages.

Sure, but when Capcom forecasts sales numbers and doesn't hit them, they have to answer to the shareholders who don't care about general fighting game sales or gameplay perception. They care about what Capcom said they would sell and they missed it by a significant percentage. If Capcom keeps sinking money into the IP and keeps missing the mark, that's when they start thinking about support. It gets even more complicated when they miss their initial goals and their model allows customers to earn future content for free.

Jawmuncher

lol at Max having to say not once but twice during the video (intro and midway) the game is actually really good but people will say im a shill for saying that.

Fuck the internet.

If anything I think that just shows how much Capcom dropped the ball with presentation.
We wouldn't be in this situation if they planned their reveals and other stuff better.
Like giving people no reason for being able to talk shit on the graphics/faces in the first place.

Phase 3

Neo Member
This is like, the most potent example of toxic internet circlejerk culture. Not GAF obviously, just what I've witnessed on the internet these past couple weeks on other sites. Everyone wants to live in an echo-chamber on the internet and since complaining about stuff is the norm in the FGC, this is what we get.

There's this entire subsection of the FGC that is literally only invested in Kappa memes and stuff. Like, they spend all their time complaining about Chun's face and brush off all the good things people are saying about the gameplay, as if they don't even play the games themselves. When you read the kind of complaints I've seen, it's hard not to imagine the extent of their relationship to the FGC is memes. I can't imagine anyone who actually plays these games or goes to so much as a local not jumping at the chance for more cool shit to play with friends and dig into, especially when reports are saying gameplay is good.

Now all of a sudden the meme is hating Marvel so people are hyping up DBZ, but the thing is anime has always been good. That hasn't changed, so clearly gameplay isn't what's important to these guys, otherwise it wouldn't have taken hating Marvel to change perceptions all that much. That said, I don't know why enjoyment of one thing on the internet always has to go hand in hand with hating something else.

People don't even realize how lucky we are to be given so many fantastic games within the span of a year or so. Hell, we're LUCKY Marvel is 2v2 because now there won't be two 3v3 games competing with eachother--now we can have two amazing games that coexist meaningfully. That is such an awesome turn of events. We have more SFV content coming and the hope they can fine tune things, we have a unique Marvel game that actually has really cool gameplay, before long we'll have DBZ, a game people are gushing over and acting as a spiritual successor to Marvel 3, we have Injustice which, while not perfect, is miles better than any previous NRS game at launch, we have Tekken 7, we have Gundam VS for the non-traditional fighters finally coming to America, we have offbeat stuff like Arms, Smash will probably get a Switch port with new characters for those guys, Guilty Gear is selling more due to DBZ so we could see anime explode and so much more. There's so much for everyone to enjoy.

We, as a community have so many cool things to look forward to. My local scene is so hyped because there will be more cool stuff to play simultaneously than there has been in years. I'm not trying to say let companies do dumb shit and just eat it, but everything is an extreme in the fgc. Either it's the best thing ever or unforgivable sin.

Is Marvel Infinite handled perfectly? No, but on a pass/fail test, the game plays well and is actually really hype with some of the grimiest and dirtiest things I've ever seen in ANY fighting game, which is the true spirit of Marvel. I'd say that's a pass, but if you don't care about actually playing it, yeah, maybe Chun's face alone is enough to make it a fail for you. When you add up all things, even Capcom's mistakes, I just don't think "Boycott Marvel, DBZ for life" is warranted.

Hopefully we'll find a way to embrace both, the more good games and the more hype the better. It's just crazy how toxic people get.

Sorry for the long-winded and insane rant, but I just can't handle all the stupidity and blind hate during a time that is actually really, cool for fighting game fans. Marvel is hype, DBZ is hype, they're both going to be hype and the more hype the better. I'm going to be playing all this stuff. Can't wait.

MrCarter

Like someone said, Capcom gave the parasites the ammo for this. Now they just gotta hold the L. It definitely was something people were waiting on, as most of the FGC cesspool can be hive-minded.

It's one of the reasons why I'm questioning myself following the FGC anymore as some of the childishness, hyperbole, bittnerness and hypocrisy is mind numbingly awful. It's weird it always happens at the start of all these games coming out then they die off.

JeTmAn81

This moment from that new Maximillian E3 impressions video made my jaw drop. Literally everything can open you up in this game.

https://youtu.be/Fg8_0UBgYcA?t=11m27s

Yeah, I'm not sure if this will be entirely a good thing. Get someone in a block string into a long hyper, tag out and mix them up. That's all it takes? It took real work to get someone truly locked down like that in Marvel 3. Then again, damage is low. But where's the incentive to do anything else when you have meter?

It's one of the reasons why I'm questioning myself following the FGC anymore as some of the childishness, hyperbole, bittnerness and hypocrisy is mind numbingly awful. It's weird it always happens at the start of all these games coming out then they die off.

I don't think it's specific to the FGC. Gaming culture in general just feels like it's becoming more toxic and people are just more inclined to perpetuate the same meme over and over than actually give any individual thought to a topic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I'm not sure if this will be entirely a good thing. Get someone in a block string into a long hyper, tag out and mix them up. That's all it takes? It took real work to get someone truly locked down like that in Marvel 3. Then again, damage is low. But where's the incentive to do anything else when you have meter?
Nobody wastes 1 meter on a mixup, you don't build it fast enough that it's candy.

Now, being able to active switch to make things safe, including random/accidental supers, is going to make it a world of difference. I think this actually puts a greater focus on the neutral, indirectly, but I'm not sure.

Jawmuncher

The only thing I really dislike in this game is the terrible roster.

I am curious how that will go. The leak spread everywhere, but atm it's still isn't too big a deal. Since it's technicall not 100%. However that one image of the roster in the VS build is already making people weary. Someone people thinking there are only 3 more spaces left and such. Then people are coming to the realization that mutants are gone.

BadWolf

Nobody wastes 1 meter on a mixup, you don't build it fast enough that it's candy.

Now, being able to active switch to make things safe, including random/accidental supers, is going to make it a world of difference. I think this actually puts a greater focus on the neutral, indirectly, but I'm not sure.

Going by KoF14, people are more than happy to do that. Max mode mix ups (on hit and on block) have become a big thing since activation started costing 1 power bar.

dan2026

I am curious how that will go. The leak spread everywhere, but atm it's still isn't too big a deal. Since it's technicall not 100%. However that one image of the roster in the VS build is already making people weary. Someone people thinking there are only 3 more spaces left and such. Then people are coming to the realization that mutants are gone.

The X-men and Fantastic Four characters are some of Marvel's best.
To say the roster feels empty without them is putting it too mildly.

Max specifically said in that video that matches were often running to lengths equal to (U)MvC 3 matches, and he also pointed out that health for tagged out characters replenishes fairly quickly so it can probably turn into more of a back and forth.

It just really speaks to corporate disconnect that someone, anyone, involved with this game didn't think to just reduce the X-Men reps instead of scorching the earth. People involved with this have said that they are aware of the perception of the Marvel ban, so why risk fueling that fire?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This is like, the most potent example of toxic internet circlejerk culture. Not GAF obviously, just what I've witnessed on the internet these past couple weeks on other sites. Everyone wants to live in an echo-chamber on the internet and since complaining about stuff is the norm in the FGC, this is what we get.

There's this entire subsection of the FGC that is literally only invested in Kappa memes and stuff. Like, they spend all their time complaining about Chun's face and brush off all the good things people are saying about the gameplay, as if they don't even play the games themselves. When you read the kind of complaints I've seen, it's hard not to imagine the extent of their relationship to the FGC is memes. I can't imagine anyone who actually plays these games or goes to so much as a local not jumping at the chance for more cool shit to play with friends and dig into, especially when reports are saying gameplay is good.

Now all of a sudden the meme is hating Marvel so people are hyping up DBZ, but the thing is anime has always been good. That hasn't changed, so clearly gameplay isn't what's important to these guys, otherwise it wouldn't have taken hating Marvel to change perceptions all that much. That said, I don't know why enjoyment of one thing on the internet always has to go hand in hand with hating something else.

good gameplay in a high profile fighting game is expected at this point and isn't enough to make people intrinsically give a shit about your game. mvci has good gameplay? big deal, so does tekken 7 and that game doesn't look like a mess.

It just really speaks to corporate disconnect that someone, anyone, involved with this game didn't think to just reduce the X-Men reps instead of scorching the earth. People involved with this have said that they are aware of the perception of the Marvel ban, so why risk fueling that fire?

Capcom had absolutely zero say. If they could get at least Logan or Wade in, they'd go for it, but Marvel's ban was in full swing when the roster for this game was decided.

Nobody gives a shit about FF characters except Doom. But Doom is god-tier and should be in every marvel game.

I grew up with xmen and loved xmen through the 90s but tbh I don't really care if they don't get much rep in Infinite. The problem with the marvel roster as I see it isn't that it doesn't have xmen on it (though it should have at least 2 or 3 for legacy sake), it's that it just doesn't take any risks. It doesn't have odd-ball characters like MODOK or Taskmaster or Dormammu who weren't very well known but were exciting characters with interesting and unique movesets. I remember MVC3's character reveals were so exciting because you never knew who you could expect and as a comic fan it really attracted me to the game.

MVCI is like literally the most predictable choices possible.

Also too many dudes.

kirblar

Max specifically said in that video that matches were often running to lengths equal to (U)MvC 3 matches, and he also pointed out that health for tagged out characters replenishes fairly quickly so it can probably turn into more of a back and forth.
Damage is way lower compared to 3.

People don't even realize how lucky we are to be given so many fantastic games within the span of a year or so. Hell, we're LUCKY Marvel is 2v2 because now there won't be two 3v3 games competing with eachother--now we can have two amazing games that coexist meaningfully. That is such an awesome turn of events. We have more SFV content coming and the hope they can fine tune things, we have a unique Marvel game that actually has really cool gameplay, before long we'll have DBZ, a game people are gushing over and acting as a spiritual successor to Marvel 3, we have Injustice which, while not perfect, is miles better than any previous NRS game at launch, we have Tekken 7, we have Gundam VS for the non-traditional fighters finally coming to America, we have offbeat stuff like Arms, Smash will probably get a Switch port with new characters for those guys, Guilty Gear is selling more due to DBZ so we could see anime explode and so much more. There's so much for everyone to enjoy.

We, as a community have so many cool things to look forward to. My local scene is so hyped because there will be more cool stuff to play simultaneously than there has been in years. I'm not trying to say let companies do dumb shit and just eat it, but everything is an extreme in the fgc. Either it's the best thing ever or unforgivable sin.

Is Marvel Infinite handled perfectly? No, but on a pass/fail test, the game plays well and is actually really hype with some of the grimiest and dirtiest things I've ever seen in ANY fighting game, which is the true spirit of Marvel. I'd say that's a pass, but if you don't care about actually playing it, yeah, maybe Chun's face alone is enough to make it a fail for you. When you add up all things, even Capcom's mistakes, I just don't think "Boycott Marvel, DBZ for life" is warranted.

Hopefully we'll find a way to embrace both, the more good games and the more hype the better. It's just crazy how toxic people get.

Sorry for the long-winded and insane rant, but I just can't handle all the stupidity and blind hate during a time that is actually really, cool for fighting game fans. Marvel is hype, DBZ is hype, they're both going to be hype and the more hype the better. I'm going to be playing all this stuff. Can't wait.

I feel like the developers of this game couldn't win even if the graphics were better and the community was more mature simply because the roster was at least partially out of their control. The Smash games get a ton of complaints about the roster before it's fully revealed, and from what I've seen as an outsider, it gets pretty hostile. What's happening to this game seems to be the first experience the Capcom FGC has had with most of their favorites being cut. You could try and say it's just the older folks upset that the X-Men are gone, but UMVC3 was only six years ago and far more accessible than any previous Vs. game port. There will always be stream monsters trying to rile things up and hate on things that won't really matter if the gameplay turns out fine, but the roster and graphics complaints aren't all from the community either. It's a shame since adding characters like X shows an interest in balancing the roster, but there's only so much that can be done when the second half of your game is covered with tons of legal red tape. There's a chance they can recover from all the blind hatred once the game is out and people learn it well enough to show it off at tournament, but it will be an uphill battle for sure. Releasing the demo they did is a mistake no matter how you slice it, though. Small changes like giving the drones more health or a tutorial would have helped decently if they weren't up for a limited versus mode demo. Injustice 2 tweaked the faces and made a good recovery, although that was before launch. How much can they really do in three months when the game is most likely final?

dan2026

I can't exactly blame people for being down on this game. Between the gimped roster, that terrible e3 story trailer, and DBZ looking amazing a couple of booths over.

The internet is also full of shits and Capcom just keep feeding them ammo.

JeTmAn81

People regularly spent two meters for that type of mixup in Marvel 3. It just wasn't available with very many team combinations.

Dahbomb

you're just pissed that vergil is never going to be in this game
Not only is Vergil for sure going to be back, that's like not even 0.1% of my concerns with the game. If Dante was the only DMC character in the game ever then I would still be fine... Vergil got to roast dudes in Marvel 3 and left them all salty.

On a game play level I think this game mostly succeeds. Not talking about balance or anything but the game has enough interesting mechanics and more importantly huge open endedness that it will be fun to play and watch for quite some time. I am of course very interested in what optimized play looks like in the game because right now everyone is playing like trash in the game.

I still have some game play concerns:

*I think ground movement especially the inability to properly dash forward and back is really bad for the game. That would be like in SFV if you can walk forward but then not immediately walk back, it destroys the ground footsies in a VS game.

*The input leniency is too much in the game at the moment which is causing a lot of sloppiness from the pro players. Lots of weird stuff like tri dash into random air supers. This needs to be ironed out.

*I really dislike the hitstun animation in the game. Most of the move animations are fine but when you connect with someone it just doesn't feel or look that good at all.

*There's also a general floatiness to the game. When you super jump at max height and dash up, when you ground bounce someone or wall bounce them, when you kill a character or after certain hypers... there is a feeling that the game isn't tightened up in those spots.

*I think overall the neutral in this game is going to suffer a lot and there will be a lot of scramble situations and "take this shit" type moments in the game. Like imagine someone activating Reality Surge, then doing a super and then tagging out doing double Reality procs... no one is blocking that shit ever. Even in neutral, there are hardly any "unsafe" moves anymore as you can just tag out.

*There should be an option to have regular DPs in the game. This will appease everyone I feel.

What I like about the game:

*I think most of the stones do add quite a bit to the game. Some of the Surges are pretty powerful but that's the sort of stuff that gets ironed out over time, mechanically they are fine and unique enough.

*Tag system is very open and can lead to a lot of creativity. Of course this is a double edged sword and it can lead to a lot of bull shit as well but at least it's fun for the time being. Capcom probably has to keep an eye on this.

*I like that air mobility and tri dashes are still in the game. They actually buffed Iron Man and Nova tri dashes in the game which means that they aren't completely shying away from fast air based characters.

*I do like the reflect projectile advancing guard thing. Gives a defensive option in the game to address some problematic zoning thing that people always complain about. Feels like something that should've been in Marvel 3 as well so people would complain less about Sogenmu/AV spam.

*I personally like that meter isn't as easy to obtain in this game. It's way too easy in Marvel 3 and it's easy in SFV. It makes those big moments with tag in this game stick out more and makes LVL3 also valuable rather than something you can throw out like candy.

*I like that new short hop, gives low mobility characters a way to do faster overheads like tri jump characters. People are going to see it coming but it's easy to mix it up with other options.

*I like that the point character lingers on the screen for quite a long time after a tag. It makes the mechanic less cheap although it's still an issue for hyper combos because of the lockdown.

There's still a ton of stuff in the game I don't know about so it's hard to say what end game may look like in the game. It's hard to get a gauge of the damage in the game and combo limits. No one has good neutral, combos, punishes, set ups... not even Combofiend.

Damage is way lower compared to 3.
All of this means absolutely nothing. No one is doing optimal combos, no where even close to it. If you saw Marvel 3 being played unoptimally it would take way longer than Marvel Infinite does right now. Hell people were having time outs in these builds with Marvel 3.

Combofiend did a day -100 combo with Thanos that took 70% HP with 1 bar. Imagine what people are going to do when you add in Stones, more meter and the Tag mechanic to that. It's very likely that this game is going to have touch of deaths starting out (until they patch them out/nerf them).

The gameplay looks...fine. Not blowing my mind, but I do see alot of room for creativity.

Can't say if I'll like the gameplay itself more than 2 and 3 but leaning towards no just because I love my 3v3 and assists. If this came out after MVC1 I would like it more.

Lulubop

Nova is like the only character who looks better with this art style. He really kinda pops, it doesn't hurt that his particle and beam effects are better than anyone else's atm.

Top Bottom