• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

I guess that would be valid excuse for that. I just hope that he would make in the game at the end. I found the concept behind Ant-Man would make an interesting character for a fighting game.

I wonder if he would able to keep his Stalk Fire since I can see a lot of crazy stuffs with Stalk Fire and Tag mechanics.

I really hope that you would be satisfied with the result they did with Jedah.
I don't see how Stalking Flare will be better than most pinning hypers. Though here is a question worth pondering - can you do this?:

1) Stalking Flare
2) Tag into Trish (let's just pretend)
3) Round Harvest
4) Tag into Dormammu
5) Stalking Flare

Etc.

Dahbomb

Remember... Stalking Flare goes away when Dormammu gets hit... but it doesn't go away when the assist character is hit.

The same concept applies to Rocket and his traps. He can lay down a full set of traps on the ground and tag out, the traps will not dissipate if the new character is hit.

That's the type of thing that makes something like Stalking Flare strong. You do it and tag, your new character is free to do whatever because the Stalking Flare will cover them even if they get hit.

Remember... Stalking Flare goes away when Dormammu gets hit... but it doesn't go away when the assist character is hit.

The same concept applies to Rocket and his traps. He can lay down a full set of traps on the ground and tag out, the traps will not dissipate if the new character is hit.

That's the type of thing that makes something like Stalking Flare strong. You do it and tag, your new character is free to do whatever because the Stalking Flare will cover them even if they get hit.
Yeah, but I'm saying that it isn't very different from something like Shinkuu Hadoken x tag.

Armigr

This is pure speculation, but my most optimistic-yet-plausible assessment of the .zip leak would be…

Playable Characters (13 veterans & 4 newcomers per side)

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Frank West
Haggar
Morrigan
Nemesis T-Type
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
Zero
Grandmaster Meio
Hunter
Jedah
X

Captain America
Doctor Strange
Dormammu
Ghost Rider
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket Raccoon
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Venom
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Ultron
Winter Soldier

6 more characters and still only two women on each side. 🤔

With the heavy MCU focus, the Marvel side probably wouldn't really have had many other viable female fighters that were also interesting. Hela is the best I think they could have done really, since I don't think Black Widow really adds much.

Its the Capcom side where its weird there aren't more women. Even if they just ported over from UMvC3, they could have done it. Still maybe, just maybe, there's a secret fifth female fighter in the form of the Monster Hunter.

Jawmuncher

With the heavy MCU focus, the Marvel side probably wouldn't really have had many other viable female fighters that were also interesting. Hela is the best I think they could have done really, since I don't think Black Widow really adds much.

Its the Capcom side where its weird there aren't more women. Even if they just ported over from UMvC3, they could have done it. Still maybe, just maybe, there's a secret fifth female fighter in the form of the Monster Hunter.

I really hope MH is a female. I mean it ain't much, but it definitely better than nothing.

Black Widow could have taken Jill's mvc3 moveset with slight modification and I doubt people would be upset. Would also open the door for an mvci jill as dlc to get her mvc2 moveset back.

I really hope MH is a female. I mean it ain't much, but it definitely better than nothing.

Too bad most devs aren't samurai, cause he'd make mh both male and female player choice.

Forward

Black Widow could have easily been a repurposed Jill, I would think. Scarlet Witch IS MCU, right? She is pretty much Deus Ex Machina, so she could be whatever style they needed. Nebula is an obvious option that nobody brings up.

EDIT: beaten to the Jill observation, whilst I sought about for a fourth.

Jawmuncher

Black Widow could have taken Jill's mvc3 moveset with slight modification and I doubt people would be upset. Would also open the door for an mvci jill as dlc to get her mvc2 moveset back.

Too bad most devs aren't samurai, cause he'd make mh both male and female player choice.

Still curious how MH will work in the story. Since it means we'll have an actual talking in English MH. Which was part of the reason MVC3 said no. Guess they got lenient and probably said "Fuck it, this'll help world in the west"

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

lets hope we get The Wasp & Valkyrie as DLC

Still curious how MH will work in the story. Since it means we'll have an actual talking in English MH. Which was part of the reason MVC3 said no. Guess they got lenient and probably said "Fuck it, this'll help world in the west"

World probably already has the lead talking in story scenes so since they are pushing for a western focus.

I wonder if the lack of viable female mcu characters is the reason for a low number of female capcom characters for the sake of "roster parity". As others have said when you go mcu only no fox
final destination
you really limit the amount of viable female characters from the marvel side. Doesn't she hulk fall into that weird nebula of rights ownership since universal has shared rights to the hulk universe? Could explain why she didn't come back as a vet to potentially give each side 3 females.

Jawmuncher

I do think there has to be some sort of parity thing going on for the female characters. "Don't make us look bad, you can only have as much as as do". All depends on MH at this point.

nded

This thought randomly came to mind.

Neo or anyone else familiar with Hawkeye: has he ever used the Gimlet in the comics? Or is this most likely exclusive to the Vs series?

I think it's just Hawkeye's "power" of making highly accurate shots represented by an in-game mechanic.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Some Capcom picks are really weird.
They left really good characters out, just to get that DLC money I think...

Yup, I meant Phoenix Wright, Wesker, Vergil and Akuma could have be part of the roster but yet they didn't.

I don't see how Stalking Flare will be better than most pinning hypers. Though here is a question worth pondering - can you do this?:

1) Stalking Flare
2) Tag into Trish (let's just pretend)
3) Round Harvest
4) Tag into Dormammu
5) Stalking Flare

Etc.

If it's plausible since I don't really see anything wrong with that.

It's bizarre that they didn't even bother to port She-Hulk since she's still part of Marvel World and not under any Fox Ban. And there are many good choices that they could draw from Capcom World.

Black Widow could have easily been a repurposed Jill, I would think. Scarlet Witch IS MCU, right? She is pretty much Deus Ex Machina, so she could be whatever style they needed. Nebula is an obvious option that nobody brings up.

Scarlet Witch is banned via under Fox Ban despite that she made her appearance in MCU.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
6 more characters and still only two women on each side. 🤔

It's bullshit. I still can't believe they had people look at this list and gave it the OK. Out of the possible 34 characters only 12% of them are women. 4/34. How. Is. That. Okay?

Call me petty but part of me hopes this bombs. Their greed in trying to make bank off their MCU characters is killing the appeal that made Marvel, Marvel.

Still more playable females in this then there are female lead films in the mcu and dccu combined.

Funny how DC didn't give a shit about that and listened to what the fans wanted.

Grakl

I think the exact opposite. They can refine the models, plenty of studios do, but most never go back on their UI decisions, let alone a complete overhaul that people are asking for MvC:I.

It's already leagues ahead of UMvC3's, though. Not like MvC3's was good either, but it was clear.

They did. Combination of Story Demo screens and presumably VS build ones with the new characters.

this is 30 pages late, but aren't these screens still from a 3 month outdated build (since that's what VS is)? that's what I mean

I'm actually somewhat upset that Natasha is gone. I started watching the MCU a few weeks ago (you can say MvCI did its job there) and I fell in love with ScarJo's Widow in Ironman 2. She could make a great stance character between hand-to-hand acrobatics (combine Jill, X23, and SFxT's Nina) and her cool ass taser sticks from Age of Ultron.

Also when tf is that solo Widow movie? Anything to get more ScarJo action (as long as they don't try to "humanize" the character like they tried and failed to do in Winter Soldier).

Dahbomb

Widow was fine in Winter Soldier, but in Avengers 2? Nah.... that whole love story with Hulk was cringe worthy.

They could make Widow work with command dashes/throws, grappling hooks, taser wrists to power up her attacks and weird spy gadgets all around. Less focus on her guns because we already have a few gun characters in the game.

I wouldn't mind if they added Black Widow with some of Jill moves from 3 (if she returns, I want the STARS moveset from 2 or an updated version)

Widow was fine in Winter Soldier, but in Avengers 2? Nah.... that whole love story with Hulk was cringe worthy.
You made me remember that something like this happened... yep, cringe worthy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A critter is steering the arrow? Could be Ant-Man.

Critical Damage, and Ant-Man was removed from level 3 so I doubt that it's Ant-Man.

I'm actually somewhat upset that Natasha is gone. I started watching the MCU a few weeks ago (you can say MvCI did its job there) and I fell in love with ScarJo's Widow in Ironman 2. She could make a great stance character between hand-to-hand acrobatics (combine Jill, X23, and SFxT's Nina) and her cool ass taser sticks from Age of Ultron.

Also when tf is that solo Widow movie? Anything to get more ScarJo action (as long as they don't try to "humanize" the character like they tried and failed to do in Winter Soldier).

Ntasha is gone? I don't think her chance is gone yet.

nded

Critical Damage, and Ant-Man was removed from level 3 so I doubt that it's Ant-Man.

Being a bit facetious mate. Just a bit nonplussed as the question was about if Gimlet was a thing in the comics and I haven't read many issues where Clint goes on about crits or whatever.

Forward

Being a bit facetious mate. Just a bit nonplussed as the question was about if Gimlet was a thing in the comics and I haven't read many issues where Clint goes on about crits or whatever.

More than just a bit. Not that I'll bite. ;)

But Gimlet would imply crit to me, in that by definition, it is a boring/screw pierce meant to evoke thoughts of armor shredding.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
She's a basic/staple-style character. If she were in the launch roster, we'd have known since April.

She has a chance as DLC, but I think it's a bit late for her as a launch character.

Thanks for the clarification since you worded it as if she wouldn't have any shot at making into the roster. The launch roster announcements aren't over yet but the chance is pretty slim tho.

Just could play the demo, I liked how the gameplay felt (Marvel) and the models don't look that bad, though some animations like Chris's walk are really weird...

Two taps down to do a Shoryuken move feels more complicated for me than how it really should be lol

nded

More than just a bit. Not that I'll bite. ;)

But Gimlet would imply crit to me, in that by definition, it is a boring/screw pierce meant to evoke thoughts of armor shredding.

Additionally, gimlet-eyed indicates someone with keen eyes that miss nothing. Like, say, someone who claims to have the eyes of a hawk.

Seems it works on multiple levels, but the the fact that it auto tracks seems more notable to me than its critical damage which is pretty mediocre.

Ryce

Gimlet is a cocktail. Most of Hawkeye's moves are named after cocktails: Balalaika, Violet Fizz, Spritzer, Kamikaze, Kiss of Fire, and so on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";241782900]Does Morrigan still have the meter stealing fireball[/QUOTE]

I would guess that it's highly unlikely but I could be wrong.

DR2K

Banned
What would qualify a MCU female as viable ?

Black Widow. Using some of Jill's UMVC3 animations. I'm hearing originally Jill was supposed to be Black Widow, but she got cut. Would be interesting if they went back to their original idea.

I think the main reason there are so few women is that they want to elevate Captain Marvel and more interesting women would dilute that.

Ryce

I'm hearing originally Jill was supposed to be Black Widow, but she got cut. Would be interesting if they went back to their original idea.
I've never heard that before, and it's incredibly unlikely, considering 90% of Jill's MvC3 attacks come from her RE5 boss battle and Mercenaries mode. I'm pretty sure this is the only thing that anyone from Capcom has ever said about Black Widow:
Ryota Niitsuma said:
She felt like she'd be too similar to our other gun/weapon based fighters
Jill only uses guns in one of her hyper combos, so I don't think she took Black Widow's "spot."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What would qualify as a viable MCU female?

I don't know. I would rather them to take a look into library of Marvel Women since there are many good characters to draw from. That's why I'm very disappointed with them being keen to include too many characters from MCU.

Take a look at this.

hPSWRXU.jpg

fv4sBul.jpg

aF1IitU.jpg

I mean, I could come up with 28 female characters from the MCU (not literally based on their MCU counterparts, mind you) with moveset potential and could be recognizable but what would make them viable?

At the very least, Quake and Wasp should be viable choices.

Jawmuncher

The fuck does viable even me. That's too vague.
So long as you're not digging the bottom of the barrel I think you're fine with female roster picks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I mean, I could come up with 28 female characters from the MCU (not literally based on their MCU counterparts, mind you) with moveset potential and could be recognizable but what would make them viable?

At the very least, Quake and Wasp should be viable choices.

It's odd that you don't really think Medusa or Dagger not being viable? Wasp? I'm not sure about her since we might have Ant-Man. I figured that Wasp might be part of his level 3. I'm all for Quake tho. To be frank with you, I think we are going to have characters outside of MCU in Character Pass 2018 so it's likely that we would able to see the characters outside of MCU getting in.

I don't really care about some characters from MCU since most of them would be more likely to become bland and uninteresting characters depend on their abilities and powers. I meant we should have

Black Widow
Ms. Marvel (Kamala)
She-Hulk
Medusa
Cloak and Dagger
Scarlet Witch
Storm
Songbird (a director is interested to do Thunderbolt after GOTG so it's possibly they could include her in for future advisement)
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur ( I know it's extremely unlikely tho)

along with Gamora and Captain Marvel.

Ryce

At the very least, She-Hulk should have come back. She's been one of Marvel's most prominent women for a long time, and female powerhouses are a rarity in Capcom fighting games. I think she added a lot to MvC3's roster.

Neonep

The problem is that the majority of the characters are being reused from UMVC3. The majority of the women on the Marvel side of that game are X-Men so that couldn't work. Then they didn't make that many new characters. That's why there are so few female characters on the Marvel sode.

I don't have an answer for She-Hulk though.

JeTmAn81

The absence of Black Widow is flabbergasting IMO. Along with the lack of movie develoment they're practically trolling us now.

Neoxon

The absence of Black Widow is flabbergasting IMO. Along with the lack of movie develoment they're practically trolling us now.
Marvel Studios mostly sees Black Widow as a major side character, hence why they gave the first female-led MCU film to Captain Marvel.

I did say very least. I wasn't the one to come up with this viability so I'm confused what that actually means. I just listed two I think would make sense, people would recognize, and would play well.

• Quake Agents of Shield
  • Medusa Inhumans
  • Crystal Inhumans
  • Black Widow Avengers
  • Wasp Avengers
  • Dagger Cloak and Dagger
  • Valkyrie Thor
  • Scarlet Witch Avengers
  • Nico Minoru Runaways
  • Squirrel Girl New Warriors
  • Hela Thor
  • Jessica Jones Defenders
  • Nebula Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Sif Thor
  • Elektra Defenders
  • Mockingbird Agents of Shield

others I didn't mention: Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Slingshot, Debrii, Molly Hayes, Karolina Dean, Agent 13/Carter

Top Bottom