• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Neoxon

I wonder if they dont want another SFV on their hands, aka revealing things too early and backlash when things were different.
I don't think anyone cared when Ultras were done away with from SFV's alpha build. Of course, you could be referring to the betas.

Raitaro

Two months since the reveal... we need some artwork, info, reveals, anything! Lol

This. I come in here every few days or so but there's never any actual new stuff to discuss :-(

Capcom?
Marvel?
Anyone?

Ps. After seeing more of Resi 7, I would like a Baker Mansion inspired stage in this game by the way. Maybe the courtyard + trailer?

Neoxon

This. I come in here every few days or so but there's never any actual new stuff to discuss :-(

Capcom?
Marvel?
Anyone?

Ps. After seeing more of Resi 7, I would like a Baker Mansion inspired stage in this game by the way. Maybe the courtyard + trailer?
As mentioned before, anything RE7-related would depend on if the MvC team was kept in the loop about RE7 & its characters during its development back when MvCI's base roster was decided. Ryu using his SFV design kinda indicates that this may be the case, but stuff like this could vary from game-to-game.

I'm still salty over Psylocke not making the cut for U3 and now the most probable thing to happen is only MCU focus in the base roster. So DLC could be the option...

Ryce could post a new tease to make the waiting more bearable hahah

Neoxon

I'm still salty over Psylocke not making the cut for U3 and now the most probable thing to happen is only MCU focus in the base roster. So DLC could be the option...

Ryce could post a new tease to make the waiting more bearable hahah
After the stunt that EventHubs pulled, I'm not surprised that he's holding back.

J-Tier

Niitsuma’s been Tweeting about the Capcom characters that were considered for UMvC3.

Gill (was a candidate up until the last minute, losing out to Nemesis)
Fou-Lu

Many female characters were considered, including…

Katt
SonSon
Mai-Ling
Arieta
Rouge
Tessa
Mature Anita
Ingrid

Apparently around 150 female characters were considered, but only Nina made it to the final pool of candidates.

Hopefully someone translates all of the Tweets in full.
Gill for Nemesis? Poor trade off imo. Gill could've been mechanically fresh, with the moveset visuals (and possibly properties) changing based on the direction he's facing.

All of the female characters would've been great choices. Ingrid would've been mediocre.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rouge the Powerstone lady, or is that the typical typo for the X-Man Rogue?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Niitsuma’s been Tweeting about the Capcom characters that were considered for UMvC3.

Gill (was a candidate up until the last minute, losing out to Nemesis)
Fou-Lu

Many female characters were considered, including…

Katt
SonSon
Mai-Ling
Arieta
Rouge
Tessa
Mature Anita
Ingrid

Apparently around 150 female characters were considered, but only Nina made it to the final pool of candidates.

Hopefully someone translates all of the Tweets in full.

I hope that someone would translate the tweets fully too. Man, Nina and Fou Lu were considered for UMVC3. Now Niitsuma shared the details on those characters so I guess they are not going to be in MVCI after all.

Also Katt being part of 150 female characters pool is pretty awesome tho. My team always consists of Rand, Nina, Katt and Ryu in BOF2.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a friend that took a look at the tweets and translated for me, but he want me to warn you that he's not well versed in Capcom franchise tho.

Katt, SonSon, Tao (Mai-Ling): we had staff users from the beginning, but they ended up being cut because they were all low priority

Arieta: seems like we'd be in trouble ratings wise

Rogue: same as above

Tabatha (Tessa): I was personally pushing for her, I wanted her to fight Dr. Strange

Ingrid: you again!

a grown-up Anita: Isn't this a little too hardcore? We don't know how she should move (not really sure, I'm lacking a lot of context bc i know nothing about these characters)

Final tweet: We had 150 female characters on the shortlist, but none of them end up making it...Oh, Nina was one of the finalists, though.

Fou-Lu: more than popular enough domestically, and he has a lot of cool things to work with (energy sword, dragon servants, dragon forms), but would have been too much work, and isn't very popular overseas, so he was cut

Oh, and Gill almost made it. He was switched with Nemesis last second

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";229739688]Don't tell Karsticles that Nina was cut from the roster at the last pass.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe you. :p

Edit: God damn it Heath. >:-(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
One more thing

"biggest outcry during MvC3, and we really wanted to include him to capitalize on his popularity. We asked his creator, Mr. Takumi to write all of his lines. I remember reading his lines and being amazed, thinking "yeah, Phoenix would definitely say this!"

Neoxon

One more thing

"biggest outcry during MvC3, and we really wanted to include him to capitalize on his popularity. We asked his creator, Mr. Takumi to write all of his lines. I remember reading his lines and being amazed, thinking "yeah, Phoenix would definitely say this!"
I'm surprised that Mr. Takumi actually wrote Phoenix Wright's dialogue in UMvC3. Hopefully he does the same for MvCI if Wright comes back.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Few more things

Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma got instantly added (ofc). C. Viper was added because she was in SF4. Chris, Jill, Wesker: all in RE5, so obvious choices

Dante and Ammy made it in, worked out really well

Gene: kinda overlapped with Frank, not as popular, etc, so they ended up only using Frank/Frank took his spot

Onimusha series: wanted Soki, but he was a bit weak so they went for the original onimusha protag, but ran into rights issues, got dropped for a variety of reasons

Demetri: Comes up every time, but I think you guys know why Demetri can't be added (lol)"

Evilisk

I have a friend that took a look at the tweets and translated for me, but he want me to warn you that he's not well versed in Capcom franchise tho.

Katt, SonSon, Tao (Mai-Ling): we had staff users from the beginning, but they ended up being cut because they were all low priority

Arieta: seems like we'd be in trouble ratings wise

Rogue: same as above

Tabatha (Tessa): I was personally pushing for her, I wanted her to fight Dr. Strange

Ingrid: you again!

a grown-up Anita: Isn't this a little too hardcore? We don't know how she should move (not really sure, I'm lacking a lot of context bc i know nothing about these characters)

Final tweet: We had 150 female characters on the shortlist, but none of them end up making it...Oh, Nina was one of the finalists, though.

Fou-Lu: more than popular enough domestically, and he has a lot of cool things to work with (energy sword, dragon servants, dragon forms), but would have been too much work, and isn't very popular overseas, so he was cut

Oh, and Gill almost made it. He was switched with Nemesis last second

I'm surprised they considered older Anita at some point. That would have been a cool pick. I'm confused on Tao being a staff user though, she doesn't use any staff. Also, as much as I would have liked Tessa, I'm not sure she would have been the best pick for MVC3. Her zoning would be really trivialized by beam assists alone. I would love to see them go for Strange vs. Tessa in Infinite now though. I think she'd do a lot better in a game without assists.

I wonder if they didn't end up using her because of her moveset (her moveset is a bit weird). Her heavy attacks are all projectiles that can be held down to increase their range, and I assume that might not work with MVC3's control scheme. Now that I think about it, her jab would also be wonky unless they made it work like in SVC: Chaos

Sesha

Nina being in the final pool along with, if I understood correctly, Gene and X makes me very happy. It gives me hope for Infinite since we already have X.

Fou-Lu being at least considered was good to read. Not surprised at the reasons for him being cut. A character like him would have been a lot of work for a mere roster update, and he was competing with more a relatively small pool that ultimately consisted of (mostly) highly demanded characters.

No mention of Ryu makes me sad. :(

The Capcom side of UMvC3 was almost perfect, so it's hard to complain. The only characters I desperately missed were a BoF rep, Gene, Regina.

...and Simone.

Of course Regina would be snubbed for a BoF character

She was probably considered for vanilla or UMvC3 at some point.

It is really kind of weird that Regina has never been mentioned as a character considered for any of the Vs. series entries in the last decade or so, even with Niitsuma being relatively candid about the character selection process for the entries he was in charge of.

It's not like the series sold like ass or anything, as I'm pretty sure that it's one of Capcom's better selling series even considering how few entries there are, and it doesn't take a genius to come up with a decent moveset for Regina. And it's not like being a dormant IP really matters when it comes to the Vs. games (see: Arthur & Firebrand, Haggar, Viewtiful Joe, etc.)

Jawmuncher

It is really kind of weird that Regina has never been mentioned as a character considered for any of the Vs. series entries in the last decade or so, even with Niitsuma being relatively candid about the character selection process for the entries he was in charge of.

It's not like the series sold like ass or anything, as I'm pretty sure that it's one of Capcom's better selling series even considering how few entries there are, and it doesn't take a genius to come up with a decent moveset for Regina. And it's not like being a dormant IP really matters when it comes to the Vs. games (see: Arthur & Firebrand, Haggar, Viewtiful Joe, etc.)

Dino Crisis when you factor in how well the series has sold compared to other titles that have made it into VS games gets snubbed hardcore. I have no clue why. Like I said the series apparently wasn't even good enough to get Heroes vs Heralds cards. Part of what makes Regina as a costume in DR3 amazing. Though seems at this point, that was all Capcom Vancouvers doing.

The series must've pissed someone higher up at capcom at one point in time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I do think she still have a good shot to be in Marvel Vs. CApcom Infinite since Niitsuma haven't name-dropped her yet. Also we should make a noise for Regina and other characters to be part of DLC roster, once we find out the full base roster.

Jawmuncher

I do think she still have a good shot to be in Marvel Vs. CApcom Infinite since Niitsuma haven't name-dropped her yet. Also we should make a noise for Regina and other characters to be part of DLC roster, once we find out the full base roster.

If she ain't in the base roster, I'll be making a thread for support.

Top Bottom