• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their arms don't even do similar things, though. Nate's has a grappling hook while Bucky's can tank everything and gives him super strength.

Ryce

I think Bucky used a grappling hook in literally one issue of a comic a few years ago, but it's definitely not something that would be given to him in a fighting game.

sinkfla87

Their arms don't even do similar things, though. Nate's has a grappling hook while Bucky's can tank everything and gives him super strength.

I think it's more than feasible to have both characters in the same roster with unique movesets. BUT when you think of Spencer you think of "BIONIC ARRRRM". When you think of Bucky you think... "BIONIC ARRRRM". Haha. Point is most people would associate those prominent visual features with one another. Not saying one HAS to replace the other just saying it's not really that thin of a comparison (in regards to public opinion).

I-hate-u

Marvel has a carp ton of woman more interesting than Gamora.
Granted a lot of them are X-men.....

latest

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Marvel has a carp ton of woman more interesting than Gamora.
Granted a lot of them are X-men.....
There are quite a lot of interesting women outside of X-Men.

Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Song Bird
Medusa
Squirrel Girl
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
Mocking Bird
Spider Woman
Spider-Gwen
Scarlet Witch
Proton
And way more.

There's a shit ton of great women characters in Marvel comics, just not a whole lot that have been in the MCU yet which is the recurring problem with the cast of this game for me Marvel side. Lack of Xmen is kinda meh, sucks on principle but whatever... the focus on MCU and not comics Marvel is the larger bummer for me.

I know it's been talked about to death but looking back on it, MvC3 had this almost perfect cast of well known and relatively unknown characters. You had your Spider Man and your Wolverine but then you had MODOK and Taskmaster. From what we've seen so far MvCI does not have a single deep comics pull that comes off as interesting or surprising to me.

Neoxon

There are quite a lot of interesting women outside of X-Men.

Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Song Bird
Medusa
Squirrel Girl
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
Mocking Bird
Spider Woman
Spider-Gwen
Scarlet Witch
Proton
And way more.
Scarlet Witch kinda counts under X-Men, but you also forgot Jessica Jones, Quake, Misty Knight, Wasp, Sif, Valkyrie, Elektra, & Black Widow.

Jawmuncher

There's a shit ton of great women characters in Marvel comics, just not a whole lot that have been in the MCU yet which is the recurring problem with the cast of this game for me Marvel side. Lack of Xmen is kinda meh, sucks on principle but whatever... the focus on MCU and not comics Marvel is the larger bummer for me.

I know it's been talked about to death but looking back on it, MvC3 had this almost perfect cast of well known and relatively unknown characters. You had your Spider Man and your Wolverine but then you had MODOK and Taskmaster. From what we've seen so far MvCI does not have a single deep comics pull that comes off as interesting or surprising to me.

Yeah it's pretty much the big issue I have with the roster as well. There no real surprises outside Jedah, Hunter, and presumably Venom (only because he sat out 3)

Vic_Viper

Nice to know that we'll be at least getting some direct footage of the game starting today and through the weekend at EVO.

Wonder why they cancelled their panel? Who knows.

They cancelled their panel!? LOL Capcom is seriously shitting the bed with this game. They really need to start building hype and announcing new characters, which is exactly what I was expecting to happen at EVO this year.

The leaks have hyped me more than any of the announcements Capcom has made aside form their E3 trailer.

JayEH

They cancelled their panel!? LOL Capcom is seriously shitting the bed with this game. They really need to start building hype and announcing new characters, which is exactly what I was expecting to happen at EVO this year.

The leaks have hyped me more than any of the announcements Capcom has made aside form their E3 trailer.

They cancelled their SF panel, there was no marvel panel afaik.

They cancelled their SF panel, there was no marvel panel afaik.

My bad, forgot to write SF panel. I don't believe there is a MVCI panel at all!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I thought someone said it was on EVO for the panel getting cancelled for logistic error.

I'm incredibly jealous of DBZ's art direction, though I never watched the anime so I just don't have the same attachment to the characters as I do Marvel or Capcom. I really don't understand how Arc can make games that look so good while a game funded by Marvel and Capcom looks aesthetically unappealing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Moon Girl and Devil DIno would make an interesting pair for this game. And if they think she's too young to beat up on, just handle her like Maru from Waku Waku 7:

brawl_mauru_00.jpg

They'd fit RIGHT in with the Monster Hunter Rep being there, and it'd be a nice way to have something Tron-like in the game (Genius girl with a big, bulky riding companion).

Devil Dino can also change it's height and size, so it could be as big as Hauzer... or Onslaught, depending on the need. So he could be made to fit a Gameplay-friendly size without any lore deviation.

I'm incredibly jealous of DBZ's art direction, though I never watched the anime so I just don't have the same attachment to the characters as I do Marvel or Capcom. I really don't understand how Arc can make games that look so good while a game funded by Marvel and Capcom looks aesthetically unappealing.

Capcom's budget these days is incredibly low.

See, I don't think Marvel funded anything. I don't believe there's any Disney/Marvel $$ behind this project.

JayEH

Marvel just provides the license and collects the check from the game sales. They could care less if the game bombs especially since most of the heat is directed to capcom.

Jawmuncher

Marvel just provides the license and collects the check from the game sales. They could care less if the game bombs especially since most of the heat is directed to capcom.

Which sucks since capcom has to deal with some strict rules and stipulations it seems. in terms of parity.

Pompadour

Capcom's budget these days is incredibly low.

I don't think that's it, per se.

Let's ignore that some people think the cel-shaded, anime style is awful or looks cheap (these people are terrible) and just agree that it's the best look for fighting games for the sake of argument.

A Capcom producer walks into the boardroom and tells his bosses that he wants to use this style for a fighting game. He believes his team has the skill and funding to pull this off (stay with me). The execs agree that it looks fantastic and approve the style until the producer delivers some bad news.

It's way too cost prohibitive to create alternate costumes with this style because the lighting has to be adjusted frame by frame for each outfit. If they can't create alternate costumes, they can't sell alternate costumes.

The producer is then reassigned to the SF4 iOS team.

Neonep

I don't think that's it, per se.

Let's ignore that some people think the cel-shaded, anime style is awful or looks cheap (these people are terrible) and just agree that it's the best look for fighting games for the sake of argument.

A Capcom producer walks into the boardroom and tells his bosses that he wants to use this style for a fighting game. He believes his team has the skill and funding to pull this off (stay with me). The execs agree that it looks fantastic and approve the style until the producer delivers some bad news.

It's way too cost prohibitive to create alternate costumes with this style because the lighting has to be adjusted frame by frame for each outfit. If they can't create alternate costumes, they can't sell alternate costumes.

The producer is then reassigned to the SF4 iOS team.

Their budget is definitely low. It's as obvious as the day is long.

Sesha

Marvel doesn't fund shit. They provide licenses, collaborate with partners on the creative direction, and provide some marketing mostly through their own channels.

Pompadour

Their budget is definitely low. It's as obvious as the day is long.

Is it lower than Guilty Gear Xrd's budget, though? I don't know their arcade sales but console sales are pretty low and they seem to really mine their hardcore fanbase harder than Capcom does.

It's not like NRS with their WB money created this art style. It was for a franchise that, at least before Xrd, people thought wasn't going to come back because the more generic anime stylings of BlazBlue sold better.

tribal24

Banned
Is it lower than Guilty Gear Xrd's budget, though? I don't know their arcade sales but console sales are pretty low and they seem to really mine their hardcore fanbase harder than Capcom does.

It's not like NRS with their WB money created this art style. It was for a franchise that, at least before Xrd, people thought wasn't going to come back because the more generic anime stylings of BlazBlue sold better.

Hmm don't know about it being lower then Xrd, but I bet it's low. Then on top of that marvel has to put there two cents in there. Honestly wish capcom just used the gameplay and create a game using there own characters no restrictions.

Well arcsys spent a while developing their anime looking art style engine for UE which seemed to transfer nicely to DBFZ. But beyond that their animation is more consistent and better. Though SFV had great animations and look too so I don't know why some MvCi shit looks jank as fuck...

Well arcsys spent a while developing their anime looking art style engine for UE which seemed to transfer nicely to DBFZ. But beyond that their animation is more consistent and better. Though SFV had great animations and look too so I don't know why some MvCi shit looks jank as fuck...

I'd place it mostly on character models and post-processing effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom