• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay/Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Man, they could do so much more with Doom. Add some sorcery, have him use Doombots, make him toot a horn, anything, but instead we have this slow plodding "I step on you a bit" waste of a character.

Doom deserves better. DOOM EXPECTS BETTER.

Dahbomb

So what? Exploits are what makes VS games fun, lol And some of us like playing lame and spamming.
It's not just about playing lame. Cable and Sentinel play lame but they play lame in a much more dynamic manner and fitting to their archetype. That makes them fun to play and fun to fight against as well. Even when you are winning a match up against Doom, it still feels unfun and lame.

They did good improving him in Marvel 3 in terms of tools but fundamentally he is still under cooked. Plus Doom is capable of so much more based on lore and history.

Tan

N4elew1.gif

I love taskmaster

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's not just about playing lame. Cable and Sentinel play lame but they play lame in a much more dynamic manner and fitting to their archetype. That makes them fun to play and fun to fight against as well. Even when you are winning a match up against Doom, it still feels unfun and lame.

They did good improving him in Marvel 3 in terms of tools but fundamentally he is still under cooked. Plus Doom is capable of so much more based on lore and history.

Just curious, why did you place Cable at top 10?

Jawmuncher

Taskmaster is one of those characters where I went "Who the fuck is this guy" and once I played him I didn't care that I didn't know. Task Master was cool as shit.

Durden77

Imagine Doom in this game. Can't use Missiles as an assist, on point Missiles are kinda wack. No TAC combos so no swag Doom combos. No multiple OTGs.

I think you can do multiple OTGs still. Certain moves seem still have straight up OTG properties that still work after the "free" OTG is used up. See Strider's satellite in the crazy full screen Clockwork combo.

You really shouldn't talk about Doom like this you know. I mean really man you are truly an ant to the all-powerful Doom bro.

Consider Doom merciful for not striking you down for calling him boring.

Dahbomb

Just curious, why did you place Cable at top 10?
Because he is well realized and well rounded as a pure keep away character.

All of his moves are well animated and realized. Viper Beam? Godlike. Scimitar? Godlike. His grenades? Godlike. His normals have a lot of weight and are well animated too even though that's not even his focus.

His game play is basic but due to the high mobility nature of the game, it's tough to make good use of him. He has to place Grenades in various ways and you can control how you toss the grenades which makes it really hard to play him optimally. If you throw out a Grenade at the wrong time or in the wrong space then you die. This isn't the same as something like Doom super jumping in the corner and doing Photon Shots as that's a very low risk, low reward type thing to do as Doom. Grenades are high risk, high reward (without an assist locking them down of course) because if they get hit with it then you can get big damage but the start up of the move makes you very vulnerable so it's high risk.

He's an example of a keep away character that works in the game and that's tough to do given the nature of the game. He doesn't have an air dash, crazy mobility, teleports... he just has basic tools but every one of those tools is very important to him (except I guess his command throw).

Cable also didn't have a big following pre-MVC2. Many people didn't know who he was, he was a bit of a left field character for the game even at the height of X Men popularity. But people were still enamored with his playstyle and it made him a fan favorite instantly.

I would love it if Cable returned and they improved some of his other tools too. Maybe use his time mechanics more to give him more flavor.

Mizerman

Man, they could do so much more with Doom. Add some sorcery, have him use Doombots, make him toot a horn, anything, but instead we have this slow plodding "I step on you a bit" waste of a character.

Yeah, Doom should be mixing his super science and sorcery nowadays. I'm pretty sure they can figure out a moveset from that.

Tan

I've got some footage of the PC version if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXeAAv-byQ

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about it, however the embargo does lift tomorrow so if anyone has any questions I'll be sure to answer them in my port impressions video.

Graphic options? Or at least a config file with more detailed graphic options like SFV?
I can run SFV just fine, except for the akuma stage for whatever reason, so I'm hoping I'll be able to turn down some stuff for marvel

Graphic options? Or at least a config file with more detailed graphic options like SFV?
I can run SFV just fine, except for the akuma stage for whatever reason, so I'm hoping I'll be able to turn down some stuff for marvel

That I can do. I'll include a section showing off the graphics options and how it looks on each of the presets.

Durden77

I think Doom is extremely fun. There's something to be said, especially in UMvC3, about just how much god damn utility he has. He's one of the only characters in fighting games where I feel like I really do have an answer to everything.

Need an assist? Doom's are all godlike. Need a hit? Doom can get you a hit. Need a kill? Doom can get you a kill. Need to run? Doom can get you a run. Need to look sick as fuck? Doom can get you a look sick as fuck.

He's not optimal in every single one of these areas, (but some his is), but he's good enough in every category to be effective. And on top of all this, he's Victor Von fucking Doom. The coolest Marvel character ever. He's just a godlike character in UMvC3 as he should be, and he's really fun because of it.

I do agree I'd be interested in seeing a revamp to him though. I really hope that he gets added to MvCI eventually, I want to see what they do with him.

hawk2025

Again, 100% as a casual fighting game player: I really do love how this plays.

They've built such a nice ramp from the auto combos to actually learning something.

Anbec7

So the pre download started today on PS4, it only downloaded like 10gb but using options to see everything is says that it is 48.5gb???
Any clue why?

That's a more interesting version of Dahbomb's post, the reverse. Which characters, in any licenced title, are the most wasted potential in how they were realized in game and most needing of an overhaul.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder if Marvel would try to change any of the old character's movesets (like Doom or Magneto) to make them more faithful and how they'd do it.
So far, seems like Iron Man is a pretty good template. Keep some of the iconic stuff (i.e. supers like Proton Cannon, Magnetic Shockwave, Gravity Squeeze) but make the movesets more accurately reflect who the character is.

Magneto should basically be a 180 of who he has been in previous MvC games when it comes to a lot of his legacy normals and specials, but I don't know how the fanbase would take the foremost aggressive, tridashing character being turned into more of a zoning and space control expert.

So the "Free" level 3 from infinity storm is still in right? At the cost of the rest of the meter? Haven't seen anyone use it.

Those 100% power stone combos usually end in the level 3. Watching people who lab up those kind of combos usually end it in level 3 if possible.

Which makes me wonder, Firebrand pretty much gets a free helper with the infinity storm, is the helper any good in this game? I didn't see a meter in a video when he brought it in, how long does it last?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So the pre download started today on PS4, it only downloaded like 10gb but using options to see everything is says that it is 48.5gb???
Any clue why?

For me, the first 10 gigs were the "ready to start" portion. The next 38 was the actual full game. So yeah, topped out at 48 gigs as a preload, I believe.

vg260

Magneto should basically be a 180 of who he has been in previous MvC games when it comes to a lot of his legacy normals and specials, but I don't know how the fanbase would take the foremost aggressive, tridashing character being turned into more of a zoning and space control expert.

Change him up. Character > function.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love how all the Legacy characters in Marvel Future Fight are obvious homages to the Capcom moveset designs. Magneto has EM disruptor as normal attack, and his shockwaves from the ground, Wolverine Has weapon X and Berserker barrage, Cyclops has "BEHOLD!" and his FP shot, and his victory poses, and so on.

... I actually really like how Capcom's ingenuity has found it's way back into comics and other games afterwards. The comics aren't the only "canon" to draw from anymore, basically, and I think that's really one of the greatest accomplishments of the VS series.

If Infamous Ironman Doom makes it back, I think they could mix up his Capcom classic and more "fitting" stuff very well. They've done a solid job of making returning characters fit into the new gameplay, and a surprisingly good job at making new Gameplay that's still MAHVEL, but in a new way.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
That's a more interesting version of Dahbomb's post, the reverse. Which characters, in any licenced title, are the most wasted potential in how they were realized in game and most needing of an overhaul.

Magneto shouldn't be flying in karate kicking fools and shooting laser beams.
ejW8ZXK.gif

JayEH

Any clue why?

The initial download of 10gb is what lets you start the game. 48 is the final size

nded

nah, both of em are actually slightly more buff than cap/have diff proportions than cap- it's really notable on the torso/upper body

9Vzky8q.gif

They're about the same size, actually. Taskmaster only looks bigger because of the cape and less compact stance. They've got the same boots, gloves, shield straps and even the color on their arms change at the same place on their biceps.

Dahbomb

Story mode has been uploaded on YT.

Spoilers (but DMC fans read on anyway):
Not only does Dante give Jedah this work... he did it without a Stone while Jedah had the Soul stone. Jedah tried to smack talk Dante with "Son of Sparda... half human/demon but traitor to both" but Dante shut that down real quick with the "just stop talking son"... I give Jedah some props though, he made Dante go DT so he had to actual sweat just a little.

Final boss is Ultron Omega and Dante (non DT) plus Captain Marvel bring him down with MMX plus 6 infiity stones land the killing blw on him. Dante literally the strongest character in both of the universes, beat the 3 major bad guys except Thanos and Death who he never really interacted with. Honestly the Avengers plus random ass Capcom characters were getting worked until Dante came to save the day. They had to actually write out Dante for a small bit just so other characters could have some shine on...LMAO!

Honestly most of the Capcom side didn't do shit. From Capcom side only Morrigan, MMX, Dante, Ryu, Strider and maybe Chris were actually relevant. Ryu only relevant due to Satsui no Hado and honestly Akuma/Ryu might be top tier strong in this universe. Jedah was obviously a major villain but he's so buss ass, had to cower back to Death when Dante smoked his ass.

Dormammu in this story was weakened version because of some deal with Jedah. He got smoked by Dr Strange and Arthur duo (LOL!).

Thanos probably had the biggest body bag in the story mode, he smoked a lot of characters! There obviously seems to be a part two to this, maybe next year we see more story mode with more characters. They need a real villain like Vergil who can actually do something about God tier Dante.

Monster Hunter looks nice, voice actor is hella iffy though.

Also seems like it's implied that Morrigan and Jedah fucked in the past. Not that shocking and Morrigan/Dante totally were flirting each other (also no surprise).

MoxManiac

I love how all the Legacy characters in Marvel Future Fight are obvious homages to the Capcom moveset designs. Magneto has EM disruptor as normal attack, and his shockwaves from the ground, Wolverine Has weapon X and Berserker barrage, Cyclops has "BEHOLD!" and his FP shot, and his victory poses, and so on.

... I actually really like how Capcom's ingenuity has found it's way back into comics and other games afterwards. The comics aren't the only "canon" to draw from anymore, basically, and I think that's really one of the greatest accomplishments of the VS series.

If Infamous Ironman Doom makes it back, I think they could mix up his Capcom classic and more "fitting" stuff very well. They've done a solid job of making returning characters fit into the new gameplay, and a surprisingly good job at making new Gameplay that's still MAHVEL, but in a new way.

Marvel Heroes straight up uses Spider-Man's Maximum Spider as his ultimate move. I think Cable has his Hyper Viper in the PC version of Heroes too.

Dartastic

For those of you who want a cheaper PC version, UK.gamesplanet.com have the pc version on sale for 30 pounds, or approximately 39 US dollars. They state that it should be just fine in the USA. I bought it last night, but I haven't activated it yet because I'm still in vacation in Japan. Just a heads up.

Durden77

Pulled the trigger and just preordered the digital deluxe on PS4. Preloading...so hype.

It would have been nice to have the steelbook, but I'll have it on my PS4 all the time and that's what I really need.

Skilletor

Story wasn't bad. Way better than sf5, nowhere near as good as injustice. Had some food action and more than a few lines that made me chuckle.

I wonder if they did Bastion/Sigma vs Magneto and the X-Men as the main part of Part 2 if it would be too similar to what we have now with Ultron Sigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom