• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Haven't been following this series too closely, but 1/10 the sales of the previous entry is a pretty serious bomb. Maybe even a serious enough bomb to change the company's direction. I wonder if Capcom is going to cool off from making fighting games for a while.

ibrahima

Banned
Gonna end up with less sales than replies about it bombing on gaf.

-edit-

I see this joke has been made many, many, many times.

Ryce

I just don't know who this game is for.

The Marvel masses don't care about Capcom characters, and they probably don't care about fighting games in general. Johnny Casual isn't going to drop $60 to play as Iron Man when he can do that on his iPhone for free.

The series is beloved by longtime Vs. fans for having Wolverine and the X-Men, Doctor Doom, iconic music, and stylized comic book visuals. All of that is absent from MvCI.

Fuck Marvel for neutering the art direction, sound design, and character roster, and fuck Capcom for not pulling their weight to make up for any of these handicaps. Sequels are expected to rival or surpass the games that came before them. MvC3 shipped with 36 characters, all created from scratch. Half of them were brand new to the series. MvCI has a paltry 30 character roster consisting of 24 mostly recycled MvC3 veterans. At the very least, the 2017 DLC characters should have been included on the base roster. I don't think I'm speaking as an ”entitled gamer" when I say that. This roster is seriously unacceptable.

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster...) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it's far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, ”Welp, I guess people don't like MvC!", shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.

I just don’t know who this game is for.

The Marvel masses don’t care about Capcom characters, and they probably don’t care about fighting games in general. Johnny Casual isn’t going to drop $60 to play as Iron Man when he can do that on his iPhone for free.
It's true that Marvel masses don't care about Capcom characters in general, but I can absolutely see people buying a high-profile, high-quality console game. Especially since there hasn't been one in years.

DR2K

Banned
I’m glad it’s bombing, something like MVCi should never be a success. Good gameplay or not. The visuals are a joke, the roster is laughable, the DLC pass is just scummy, and the actually new content in the game is laughable.

The game is fun and worth it at a steep discount, but no fucking way can I recommend it at anything above $30 unless you just really love Marvel.

Marvel wouldn't be dumb enough to end this series because of Capcom's mismanagement would they? I'm perfectly fine with the game bombing (good bones, but the lacking budget just really shows) but that jeopardizing the series future is a shame.

jett

D-Member
I'm glad it's bombing

Im absolutely in love with the game.

You're kinda weird, aren't you. Actually glad that a game you purportedly love is bombing horribly.

Marvel wouldn't be dumb enough to end this series because of Capcom's mismanagement would they? I'm perfectly fine with the game bombing (good bones, but the lacking budget just really shows) but that jeopardizing the series future is a shame.

It's Capcom that puts up the all money to develop it. After this situation they would be dumb to carry on with this franchise for the foreseeable future.

Dartastic

Of course people congregating in that thread are going to be saying it is fun, threads and subreddits and forums are echo chambers. The game can still be pretty fun but also be a massive disappointment for fans of previous entries, which it is. It looks really rough, plays OK at best, and doesn't have the best cast for a variety of reasons.
Sure, I'm definitely dissapointed in some aspects of the game for sure, but it doesn't "play OK at best." That's just straight up incorrect. If you're basing those impressions off of the terrible story demo I could see that, but the full game is super, super fun if you take any time at all to get used to the tag system.
Everyone who has played it said it's super fun and reviewers have echoed the same thing.
Yep. Exactly. The game plays like a dream. It just bungles things like the presentation and the roster. I genuinely think that if this game had a) better presentation b) the first season of DLC characters and c) any semblance of halfway decent marketing at all the game would be a moderate success. Not a huge hit by any means, but it certainly wouldn't be this bomba that it apparently is. It's sad. The game is incredibly fun. It deserves better.

DR2K

Banned
You're kinda weird, aren't you. Actually glad that a game you purportedly love is bombing horribly.

I am. The gameplay is great, everything else is horrible. As a consumer this should fail. As a Marvel fan, I’m happy there’s something new to play. Albeit it feels more like an update with characters I don’t really care for.

nelo_inc

I did expected low numbers, but not this low!

Hope Capcom finally learns their lesson, but looking at other examples like SF V and Resident Evil, it's clear that they have no touch or connection with what gamers want.

Chavelo

This is a shitty view to have.

You don't have to blindly eat up whatever shit comes your way. You can like something and yet be totally disappointed in it.

I want Capcom to be at the top of the fighting game genre. Games like MvC:I are the result of a company getting way too comfortable being at the top and phoning it in.

Is it really that weird to ask more from a video game company when you know they have so much potential and yet they decide to shit the bed just to try to make a quick buck?

The remaining Modern Capcom fans are the weird bunch, homie.

jett

D-Member
This is a shitty view to have.

You don't have to blindly eat up whatever shit comes your way. You can like something and yet be totally disappointed in it.

I want Capcom to be at the top of the fighting game genre. Games like MvC:I are the result of a company getting way too comfortable being at the top and phoning it in.

Is it really that weird to ask more from a video game company when you know they have so much potential and yet they decide to shit the bed just to try to make a quick buck?

The remaining Modern Capcom fans are the weird bunch, homie.

Really? I think being actually glad that this game is doing as bad as it is is kind of psychotic, especially when you supposedly love the game.

One thing is to maybe being okay with it not being a huge success or it failing to meet expectations. This result signifies the death of the franchise as a whole. A supposed fan being happy about it is just weird to me.

And how is Capcom in any way at the top?

It's one thing to say the failure of the game is deserved (it is). But it's a weird thing to be happy about. The game doing poorly doesn't make Capcom fix their approach. It makes Capcom stop making MvsC.

Capcom deserves this, despite how good the gameplay is. It is unexcusable that a MVC game looks this hideous. It looks like a college intern made the UI and the models look like they were made by someone who has zero care for the characters they're making.

The Marvel masses don’t care about Capcom characters, and they probably don’t care about fighting games in general. Johnny Casual isn’t going to drop $60 to play as Iron Man when he can do that on his iPhone for free.

The series is beloved by longtime Vs. fans for having Wolverine and the X-Men, Doctor Doom, iconic music, and stylized comic book visuals. All of that is absent from MvCI.

Fuck Marvel for neutering the art direction, sound design, and character roster, and fuck Capcom for not pulling their weight to make up for any of these handicaps. Sequels are expected to rival or surpass the games that came before them. MvC3 shipped with 36 characters, all created from scratch. Half of them were brand new to the series. MvCI has a paltry 30 character roster consisting of 24 mostly recycled MvC3 veterans. At the very least, the 2017 DLC characters should have been included on the base roster. I don’t think I’m speaking as an “entitled gamer” when I say that. This roster is seriously unacceptable.

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster…) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it’s far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, “Welp, I guess people don’t like MvC!”, shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.

Extremely well said. Could'nt agree more.

Neoxon

I did expected low numbers, but not this low!

Hope Capcom finally learns their lesson, but looking at other examples like SF V and Resident Evil, it's clear that they have no touch or connection with what gamers want.
....Wut? RE7 was great.

Pompadour

I am. The gameplay is great, everything else is horrible. As a consumer this should fail. As a Marvel fan, I’m happy there’s something new to play. Albeit it feels more like an update with characters I don’t really care for.

I don't get this logic. People should evaluate whether the game is worth $60 to them based on what they get out of it. Your logic proposes people can love games they don't think anyone should buy and hate games that they recommend all because enough boxes have been checked.

I blame this attitude on people's obsession with making game reviewing objective when, like with any art, it's subjective. Videogames aren't a pair of headphones.

mebizzle

Sure, I'm definitely dissapointed in some aspects of the game for sure, but it doesn't "play OK at best." That's just straight up incorrect. If you're basing those impressions off of the terrible story demo I could see that, but the full game is super, super fun if you take any time at all to get used to the tag system.

Yep. Exactly. The game plays like a dream. It just bungles things like the presentation and the roster. I genuinely think that if this game had a) better presentation b) the first season of DLC characters and c) any semblance of halfway decent marketing at all the game would be a moderate success. Not a huge hit by any means, but it certainly wouldn't be this bomba that it apparently is. It's sad. The game is incredibly fun. It deserves better.

Opinions, everybody has them. If my statement that it is OK at best is "incorrect" as you put it, I'd argue that it "plays like a dream" or is "incredibly fun" are also incorrect. It's an OK game but is not as good as previous entries, and as such is a disappointment.

I agree that the game deserves better, but it deserved better from its creators, not us. It is not on consumers to accept a subpar product, especially when people's passions for the series are what kept it relevant in lieu of anything from Capcom.

RRockman

Banned

Fuck Marvel for neutering the art direction, sound design, and character roster, and fuck Capcom for not pulling their weight to make up for any of these handicaps. Sequels are expected to rival or surpass the games that came before them. MvC3 shipped with 36 characters, all created from scratch. Half of them were brand new to the series. MvCI has a paltry 30 character roster consisting of 24 mostly recycled MvC3 veterans. At the very least, the 2017 DLC characters should have been included on the base roster. I don’t think I’m speaking as an “entitled gamer” when I say that. This roster is seriously unacceptable.

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster…) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it’s far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, “Welp, I guess people don’t like MvC!”, shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.

This is it right here. Took the words out my mouth.

ZenTzen

This is what happens when you shit on presentation and general art direction in fighting games, MvC3 had the comic book look, capcom should have dialed that up to eleven on MvCI, look at GGXrd which brings that anime look to 3d, look at DBFZ which loks like you're playing a db episode

The music as well, capcoms side is fine with remixes of their character themes, marvels side is some generic MCU bull

Its a shame, gameplay and netcode are fantastic, i just hope capcom is able to turn this around

Chavelo

Really? I think being actually glad that this game is doing as bad as it is is kind of psychotic, especially when you supposedly love the game.

One thing is to maybe being okay with it not being a huge success or it failing to meet expectations. This result signifies the death of the franchise as a whole. A supposed fan being happy about it is just weird to me.

The game series may die for the time being, yeah. Under the current Capcom, we might not get a new MvC game for a while.

But come on, look at MvC2. Look at early 2000 Capcom and how long it took them to go from CVS2/MVC2 to SF4. Management changes, new dev teams get created, and there will be a new MvC game in the future. We might have to wait 10 years again, but at least we got this new one in our hands if the gameplay is really that good. The MvC series CAN be really hype and profitable if done properly by both companies.

I agree that being glad that a game is bombing is a fucked up thought, yeah. I do want Capcom to eat shit and finally get a clue as to why that's happening, though. It's 2017, there's other companies out there trying to kick them out of their spot, and they're doing a good job. Competition is always good for business, but Capcom needs to wake up and get on with the times, though.

FinKL

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster...) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it's far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, ”Welp, I guess people don't like MvC!", shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.
Ryce is spot on.

Love the game, wish there were more people to partake in it, but the bolded is what I see happening which is depressing. I loved the Marvel fighting games and played with action figures using my imagination and had them battling it out like what I saw in the arcade. Would love to give that experience to my son as well as I just thought it was magical

I realize Capcom don't have a budget, but MK9 came out in 2011 and had an amazing story, looked pretty (didnt "feel" good though), and had collectibles which kept people busy. The game also sold gang busters if I recall. Even before that Blazblue was the next major fighting game to come out after SF4 and had an exhaustive story. I mean, if you look at all the fighting games that sold super well, they all had polished and thorough single player content. The versus other player was the icing on the cake, and if the gameplay was good, even better.

You can't sell on brand alone when there's negative sentiment sprawling around social media that's continuously echoed. I'd like to think DBFZ stole most of the Marvel thunder too.

I don't understand the point of this thread: it was obvious that a shitty game like MvC:I was going to lost against a well made fighting game, especially on Nintendo platforms.

Especially in Japan.

Does anyone expected a different result?

The vibe I'm getting is this: Nintendo fans feel slighted/sad/angry/disrespected at the recent "disses" from Capcom, and any failure from Capcom (especially for a game that did not come to the Switch) is going to generate massive amounts of schadenfreude.

Because otherwise, I'm not seeing what the point is for a game which: (1) we all know is overall not good; (2) is in a series which has not had the most historical support in Japan compared to Western regions; (3) is being compared specifically to Switch releases (I'm almost picturing Nelson from the Simpsons here going "ha ha Capcom, didn't bring it to the Switch? Take THAT!")

Toxi

Banned
At least I'd be able to play as Banjo & Kazooie in a crossover fighting game.
Master Chief
Arbiter
Cortana
Steve
Marcus Fenix
Banjo Kazooie
Gruntilda
Conker
Rash
Jago
Kameo
Voodoo Vince
Clippy
That guy from Ryse
The corpse of Scalebound's main character

The real question is this: Marvel or Capcom. Which company has been a bigger detriment to MVCI?

I know it's really easy to hate Capcom for how things turned out, but it seems like most of you are really, really, really, really not seeing the type of influence Marvel can have on games like this. We already know they choose to get rid of the classic themes because "it doesn't fit the characters personality". The artstyle looks like a modified Contest of Champions...Marvel's mobile fighting game.

Capcom isn't the same company from yrs ago, but neither is Marvel.
This is 100% on Capcom. Yeah, we don't get X Men or Doom but thats no excuse to not even bother with a better roster. There's a lot of MCU characters that could have been added but all we get is scraps from MVC3. Same for the Capcom side of the roster.

It's not Marvel's fault the roster was pathetic.It's not their fault the game looks awful. It's not their fault the marketing was nonexistant. It's not their fault PR kept spewing bullshit and its certainly not their fault people got burned by Capcom's last few FGs.

I-hate-u

We need to get an interview with Niitsuma and give us his thoughts on this. He used to bring the HYPEEE in those dev panels.

Why in the WORLDDDDD wouldn't they bring him back for MvC:I? I doubt he would be okay with Itsuno not being asked for his opinion on Dante before shipping.

I am. The gameplay is great, everything else is horrible. As a consumer this should fail. As a Marvel fan, I'm happy there's something new to play. Albeit it feels more like an update with characters I don't really care for.

As weird as this is, I absolutely get this mindset. It's not ideal, but if the practices behind the game are shitty, even if the product turned out in a way I liked, I wouldn't necessarily want it to sell gangbusters and perpetuate it's shitty practices. I'd rather the sales be a hard enough slap on the risk to deter them from trying it again.

I don't get this logic. People should evaluate whether the game is worth $60 to them based on what they get out of it. Your logic proposes people can love games they don't think anyone should buy and hate games that they recommend all because enough boxes have been checked.

I blame this attitude on people's obsession with making game reviewing objective when, like with any art, it's subjective. Videogames aren't a pair of headphones.

I've had enough reviewers tell me Beats by Dre are amazing and unless they are all objectively wrong, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I don't value tons of bass in my headphones; that's a subjective opinion that would color a review of headphones.

Marvel Cinematic Universe ruined everything. The DLC is aggressive as hell, the roster sucks balls, Capcom characters got hit with the ugly stick, etc. What a damn mess.

I'll probably just get Marvel 3 on Steam this sale.

I-hate-u

Honestly why is Capcom even working with Marvel again, especially when they deny X-men and impose design restrictions to be in-line with freaking MCU (which sucks imo)? They should just make their own game with own roster and the fan-base would be all over it. They don't need Marvel to sell 2 millions of a proper Capcom All Stars.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Honestly why is Capcom even working with Marvel again, especially when they deny X-men and impose design restrictions to be in-line with freaking MCU (which sucks imo)? They should just make their own game with own roster and the fan-base would be all over it. They don't need Marvel to sell 2 millions of a proper Capcom All Stars.

yeah they should just do Capcom Fighters Megamix 2 because that worked out so well the first time :p

Kyou

I cant put my finger on it but something about this game was the most unappealing thing ever

At no point in development did I ever give a shit and that's weird because I loved 3.

:( The truth hurts

Top Bottom