• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Story Trailer, Sep 17th, 8 reveals, 6 2017 DLC characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

You know, I was looking at the gameplay screens that have the hud on them and noticed/thought of a couple things.

Level 4 is the max level of the hyper meter now.
Characters can get locked out from tagging it seems.

And looking at the health bars...what if one of the things Ryce is talking about is them going the tekken tag/sfxt route of once one bar is gone, you lose?
I don't think this is true. The game seems to still have LVL3s alongside Stones, the damage output in this game is going to be too hefty for that system.

If it is true then SFxT2 here we come!

Neoxon

None in the character pass, but maybe in the main game?

No Doom would be crazy, but I guess I'm gonna have to get used to it.
The pre-existing rumor is that there won't be any Fox characters until DLC (I.E. not in the base roster). The base roster was likely decided when the Marvel-Fox hate boner was fully erect.

Imm0rt4l

I gotta disagree with this. Just because of the lack of the revenge system and the different uses V trigger has. I have an easier time playing SF3 sans parrying
It's inherently easier. Sf4 required a lot of lkab time to learn so many intricacies where there isn't any in sfv. Whether or not you think it's good or bad is one thing, but sfv is easier.

Anth0ny

If Capcom REALLY wanted to make the controls easy to understand for casual players... they should just use every button on the controller.

Look at the controls for GTA5:

71109935qgkr7.png

Seems pretty complex compared to a 4 button fighting game, right? Well, not really if you consider how well the game has sold.

If they want to get rid of complex inputs, they should stop thinking of the game like an arcade game that has to work on an arcade stick. Arcades are dead. These are not arcade games. They're console games and controllers have a shit load of inputs.

Face buttons can be standard LMHS. LB can be special move #1 (Hadoken). RB can be special move #2 (Shoryuken). Up on dpad can be special move #3 (hurricane kick). LT can be Super 1. RT can be Super 2.

What I'm trying to say is fighting games don't need to be built around 1 arcade stick + 6 buttons anymore. Standard controllers have a shit load of buttons and they should be used if they really want to lower the difficulty of inputting moves for casuals.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
None in the character pass, but maybe in the main game?

No Doom would be crazy, but I guess I'm gonna have to get used to it.

Wolverine, Magneto and Doom HAVE to be in this game.

Not having those characters in a Marvel game would be freakin crazy.

To me the real worrying thing is that if they're removing inputs like DP then they're probably also casualizing the hell out of the rest of the game just like they casualized SFV.

Yeah that is true. I guess we'll have to see how the gameplay is sometime this week. Hopefully a journalist is semi-knowledgeable with fighting games/FGC to let us know how casualized the controls are.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Having a couple like Vega that have never been in a Marvel VS game would be cool though. I could see Vega's vertical style meshing pretty well with the air combo heavy Marvel style.

But we already have Ryu and Chun-Li in the game and you can bet there will be a new character from SFV represent, most likely Rashid...

But hey you can still play Vega in SFV.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Finally we get some news. Kinda meh at Chris returning. I like him, but I was kinda hoping we'd get Leon and Ada this time around. I really hope the roster isn't flooded with returns from the last game and we only get 6 new additions. :lol

Jawmuncher

It's inherently easier. Sf4 required a lot of lkab time to learn so many intricacies where there isn't any in sfv. Whether or not you think it's good or bad is one thing, but sfv is easier.

I'll take your word for it then.

... Why? I thought with those rumors that FOX characters being DLC that they'd try to get them in soon; if they're not in this Season Pass, we won't see Wolverine until a year after launch!

If it makes you feel any better, you've sold me on Regina. I don't even know much about Dino Crisis other than it being the dinosaur version of Resident Evil, but between Regina & Snake, I want you to win something, Jawmuncher.

Hopefully soon. The fact I have at least been getting people on board and informing them of Dino Crisis is a reward all it's own.

ElyrionX

Ok qcf is fine but the shoryuken motion is horrible. These are archaic control schemes which come from the days when arcades and joysticks were still a thing. They should figure out a way to move on because it makes gameplay too complex/difficult for filthy casuals like myself. When I played MvC3 with my nephew a couple of years ago, he had completely no idea what qcf was. He was 18 and grew up playing Halo.

Ultron-Sigma wants to kill every biological thing on the planet. I can't think of a Capcom villain that ins't biological lol.

Villains at odds with other Villains is a very cool dynamic that needs to be explored more in these games, rather than them all holding hands and getting along.

Would be super cool.

vg260

... What? I understand the complaints over some SNK controls but... QCF?

Those are in like the DNA of every fighter ever lol.

I'll never understand how people can play FPS games using two analog sticks at once, jump and shoot and all sorts of other games that use every button, yet a QCF motion is somehow too complex. I'll budge on the half-circle and DP motions, but not quarter circles. It just takes a few minutes to get it.

Really though, I didn't see people complaining about DP motions. I don't think that's the problem here. Down Down seems way more awkward and uncomfortable. Just make it an option please.

PSqueak

Banned
I'll never understand how people can play FPS games using two analog sticks at once, jump and shoot and all sorts of other games that use every button, yet a QCF motion is somehow too complex. I'll budge on the half-circle and DP motions, but not quarter circles. It just takes a few minutes to get it.

Controller ergonomics have evolves specially to favor Twin Stick FPS controls.

Literally.

JediLink

One significant concern I have, though, is that we still haven't heard X speak. Hell, Rocket Raccoon straight up talks to him at the end of the new trailer and he doesn't say anything in response. I get Sakurai's reasoning for keeping Mega Man silent in Smash 4 even though he has a voice, and I know Mark Gatha (the voice of X in X8, MMXCM, and MHX) is no longer doing voiceover work, but come on... X can't be silent! He's not supposed to be! I hope I'm just being an obnoxiously annoyed fanboy about this and there's nothing to worry about...
Uh, that's technically true, but in case you didn't hear Mark Gatha has actually passed away.

I completely agree about X being silent. It just wouldn't make any sense in any way, especially if he's going to be one of the main characters of the story. I hope they get a good voice for him.

FinKL

When's the last time you did a QCC in a fps? Likely never so when players are thrown in and asked to do QCF, they don't know how, there's no muscle memory yet.

ElyrionX

Really though, I didn't see people complaining about DP motions. I don't think that's the problem here. Down Down seems way more awkward and uncomfortable. Just make it an option please.

I don't like it but I don't complain about it because I don't care enough to and I've been playing these games since SF2 came out on the SNES.

SF4 was when I tried to get into it and that shortcut motion they had for DP in that game made it so much easier.

branny

While I'm all for making things more accommodating, there's a point where you start shaving away complexity for the sake of people who don't want to bother learning fundamentals and aren't likely the type to stick with the game anyway.

vg260

When's the last time you did a QCC in a fps? Likely never so when players are thrown in and asked to do QCF, they don't know how, there's no muscle memory yet.

I know. I'm saying if they can handle controls in a FPS, they are plenty coordinated enough to learn do a quarter circle motion.

Skab

Ok qcf is fine but the shoryuken motion is horrible. These are archaic control schemes which come from the days when arcades and joysticks were still a thing. They should figure out a way to move on because it makes gameplay too complex/difficult for filthy casuals like myself. When I played MvC3 with my nephew a couple of years ago, he had completely no idea what qcf was. He was 18 and grew up playing Halo.

Your nephews lack of exposure to fighting games isn't a fault of the genre or the control scheme.

That's such a stupid argument.

Shoryuken is basically this:

Tap forward + Quarter Circle + Punch = profit (has to be done in a smooth motion/quick motion)

it's really simple... I can't play charge to save my life tho.

bubumiao

As much as Capcom has been sucking lately with Street Fighter V I think they'll have the sense to have two input methods so as to not alienate the veteran players while being accommodating to the noobs.

Skab

I've long wondered if people who cant do it look at the qcf + punch/kick input in move lists and thing it means doing the qcf motion and the attack button at the same time.

Canucked

The collectors edition pre-order on ebgames.ca doesn't have the game, just the statues. Is this a Canada thing or will it be the way they avoid Amazon discounts.

ElyrionX

I know. I'm saying if they can handle controls in a FPS, they are plenty coordinated enough to learn do a quarter circle motion.

It's not the qcf motion that is hard. It is incorporating shit like qcf, dp and double qcf into combos which are already obnoxiously difficult to learn and requires delving into forums and other internet resources.

I am an average or maybe slightly above average FPS player but I am horrible at fighting games because the latter requires too much effort to learn and too much twitch reflexes to be good at. And I played fighting games casually for years before I even went anywhere near a FPS. There are plenty of people like myself, I'm sure. This is why the FGC is so much smaller than the FPS communities despite fighting games gaining popularity much earlier. The games are just too difficult for casuals to access

PSqueak

Banned
Shoryuken is basically this:

Tap forward + Quarter Circle + Punch = profit (has to be done in a smooth motion/quick motion)

it's really simple... I can't play charge to save my life tho.

That's how i do it, tecnically pushing on extra forward, but the game doesn't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom