• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Spider-Man Appears in Spider-Verse Comic Event

Sesha

*Insert villain(s)* goes around killing *insert group of characters* will never not be a lame story idea. It's anti-fun as far as I'm concerned.

Cute nod, though, besides the only death thing.

Why can't this series have more awesome moments like this?

Image-40.jpg

And this?

is9awor7bt93yfc5wouk.jpg

Instead of this?

that's just fan service. it means nothing to people who don't get the references.

Neoxon

Basically the naming for Earth-96169 was supposed to say that the MvC Earth is similar to Earth-616 (hence the two 9's sandwiching 616). Though I'm not 110% sure if that name for the MvC Earth was made official.

Nice nod to MvC fans like myself. Though if I recall, the MvC universe was originally Earth-96169 (correct me if I'm wrong), though it may have been unofficial until now.

Source: Marvel

Yeah, it was always some made up number (seemingly based on the CPS serial numbers). Marvel Wikia changed it to a temporary number because there was never any official source. This may very well the first official acknowledgement.

Man, I haven't read many comics recently but I'm super curious and eager to check this out.

Megatron

I love the nod to MvC here, even if it looks like he's just another casualty. Maybe it's a new universe despite clearly being based on the fighting games on the off-chance MvC happens again? Either way, I'm happy to see all these Spider-Men, but I'm getting tired of them all dying. I mean, I know it's a cop-out, but I wouldn't mind something bringing them all back at the end.

Seriously, man. I fear for 60's Spider-Man's life like he was my own Spider-Child.

Yeah, the Spider-Man from
Spider man and his Amazing friends
was killed off, which was traumatic for me.

He isn't OP, he just finishes shit. If Batman pulled one Avengers 40 like moment. Gotham would have a crime rate of -34%

Totally not the place for this, but...

I think Batman works way better when he's just a myth, and not parading around with the Justice League. If people thought that Bats would do more than beat them up, he could lower crime by a lot.

SykoTech

Nice to see consistent nods to Marvel vs Capcom from Marvel themselves. Really hope the interest keeps up and Marvel vs Capcom 4 is made, even if Capcom have to get funding through Sony to get the licenses back or whatever. I just want the game to happen, and hopefully in less than 10 years of waiting.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I guess this is as close as we're going to get to referencing Raimi Spider-Man and Webb Spider-Man.
Raimi Spider-Man is not only heavily referenced in Bendis' USM, it gets its own arc. 2 or 3 issues long, fairly early on.

Tizoc

Spiderman is truth

Black Panther is a totem animal, but Morlun ain't going after him.

I wonder why?

He knows his limits; BP would wreck his shit the instant he sets foot on Africa.
I mean if the Skrulls couldn't handle BP, what better would Morlun fare?
ue6Injz.jpg

Totally not the place for this, but...

I think Batman works way better when he's just a myth, and not parading around with the Justice League. If people thought that Bats would do more than beat them up, he could lower crime by a lot.

"Holy shit, I've gotta turn my life around. Batman doesn't give a fuck anymore. I just saw him run a guy over with the Batmobile."

Neoxon

Nice to see consistent nods to Marvel vs Capcom from Marvel themselves. Really hope the interest keeps up and Marvel vs Capcom 4 is made, even if Capcom have to get funding through Sony to get the licenses back or whatever. I just want the game to happen, and hopefully in less than 10 years of waiting.
Same here.

Also, a variant cover for Squirrel Girl referenced MvC1.

SQGIRL2015004-cover-2ebd3.jpg

Neoxon

I'm amazed you didn't make a thread for this too. Way to show some restraint!
I considered it, but it kinda covers the same ground as this thread. As such, I didn't see a need to make another thread.
I did revive my other MvC thread with this info, though.

JeTmAn81

He knows his limits; BP would wreck his shit the instant he sets foot on Africa.
I mean if the Skrulls couldn't handle BP, what better would Morlun fare?
ue6Injz.jpg

Those panels keep getting posted, but I can't help but think how stupid it is to assert that trying to prepare for everything would be more effective than preparing for the challenge you actually face. That's bad dialogue.

Azuran

Banned
Those panels keep getting posted, but I can't help but think how stupid it is to assert that trying to prepare for everything would be more effective than preparing for the challenge you actually face. That's bad dialogue.

Of course it is. It absolutely makes no sense if you bother to put an ounce of thought into it. All it does its make Panther look like an idiot who doesn't think things thought. I wish he got his ass kicked right after that.

OzzMejia

Neo Member
Marvel: "Hey everybody, here's a silly crossover where people can see all the different Spider-Mans!"

Readers: "yeah!"

Marvel: "And we'll kill them all."

Readers: ...

Those readers got Countdown'd.

What is it with DC and Marvel thinking the best way to show off their Multiverses is to kill everyone in them?

BTHR Zero X

They both want to, money is the problem. Capcom can't afford the licensing costs right now, hence why they had to let the contracts for the previous MvC games lapse & be removed from online stores. If their next few games Capcom has in the pipeline (SF5, MH4U, RE Revelations 2, etc.) make a good profit, then maybe we'll see MvC4 sooner rather than later. We're basically waiting for Capcom to get their financial shit together. I actually did a whole thread on the situation.

At best, don't expect MvC4 to happen until around Avengers: Infinity War (Part 2). This was just a nice nod to the MvC series, probably to show that Marvel does care about the MvC series & that they respect it.

I am sorry but this is not Capcom can not afford licensing, This is a Marvel wants control over all its IP's hence why Marvel Games that were not Capcom got pulled (Activision and Konami)

This is due to Marvel not the other companys.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Morlun actually went after the Panther totems in some Black Panther arc.

Afrodium

Banned
Is the art style different for each Spidey-world Morlun is in? I haven't been following Spiderverse. I hope so because the art in those panels is uuuugly.

Neoxon

I am sorry but this is not Capcom can not afford licensing, This is a Marvel wants control over all its IP's hence why Marvel Games that were not Capcom got pulled (Activision and Konami)

This is due to Marvel not the other companys.
Activision's license was pulled, Capcom's expired. Otherwise Origins would have been pulled with the other games at the same time. It's a common misconception.

Neoxon

This explains the MvC situation best beyond the OP of my other thread.

Let us take a gander at a lot of the speculated reasons behind the future of the MvC Series. I guess it's long overdue that I make such a thing. To start, I will say I agree with Neoxon about why Origins is still up [at the time of this post] and why Capcom relinquished the rights.

Shared "Marvel Gaming Universe" Theory/Rumor - Unsubstantiated
Source - TQ Jefferson, Marvel VP of Games
“You might have noticed that certain similarities and threads touch from one game to the next,” said TQ Jefferson, Marvel’s VP of games, regarding new developments in Marvel’s gaming space. “Much like you see in publishing and film, we’re trying to build a gaming universe connected by common elements and narrative into a larger gaming initiative.”
So how well does this hold up beyond conjecture? What does this mean beyond "yeah some of our games will use some of the same IPs and associated concepts"? At this same event they were praising Avengers Alliance, a F2P game that's been out forever and not taken down alongside many other titles were in December of 2013.

Arguably, this was just hinting at Disney Infinity 2.0. Beyond that, how more similar are these games that have continued to receive updates and/or have been announced since aforementioned comments were made?:
- Disney Infinity 2.0
- Various movie tie-in iOS games, even for competitive cinema properties
- Marvel Heroes
- Spider-Man Unlimited
- Marvel Contest of Champions

The answer? Not much. They all use Marvel characters and, most notably to MvC, take their own narrative liberties and skew outside of Marvel Studios characters.

But what if it's just iOS games that skirt by this new ideology/rule? - Possible, unlikely because of the presence of Infinity
It appears sort of illogical to assume that no matter how lucrative or strong the venture/opportunity, Marvel would throw all that aside to maintain whatever nondescript narrative which Disney Infinity 2.0 otherwise contains. For all we know, this just means you need to represent the Avengers in the game. And why not, when they are culturally relevant characters that fans of all kinds would want?

We forget that MvC3 was almost prophetic in terms of the direction of the MCU, was released while The Avengers was in production, and still churned out a pretty diverse cast that used more than Marvel Studios properties. Do I think Marvel Games knew all there was to know about the MCU at that time? No, because much was just between Feige and select others at that time. Similarly, I think the force exerted by Marvel Studios on the games division is much less than assumed because of the diverse casts we've seen in games regardless since the MCU broke out. Yeah, Marvel Studios has favourites, but they consistently make exceptions and let properties they know are big breathe, partly because they can still use those strong brands for direct profit (games) and indirect profit (merchandising) as well. Contest of Champions is the biggest thing contradicting the idea of a completely Marvel Studios cast, featuring Spider-Man himself front and centre on their website.

Make no mistake. Money makes sense.

Capcom and Marvel have a damaged relationship because of the shitty contract! - Mixed, logically unsound
The assumption that the contract was shitty is just kind of strange. I mean, yeah, they don't get to throw out shit willy nilly, but that's because it's not their IP. And the IP they're dealing with here is a multibillion dollar one. That multibillion dollar IP having a quite significant pull when it comes to representations in other media is not unusual, nor is Capcom the only victim of this. The contract is what it is, and as the years go on people just seem to project more of their desires into all of the stuff we don't know about the contract to fill in the blanks. Yeah, it worked out pretty shitty for the MvC community, but business is business.

Svensson, who negotiated the MvC3 deal and project, and described himself as the primary relationship holder with Marvel, is no longer at Capcom and left about a year ago. Doom and gloom time? Maybe. Most likely not; he's likely not the only person to built a relationship between the two companies, and the idea of both companies backing away from doing business because he's he's not there sounds more unlikely than likely.

The flipside? Post-MvC3 Seth Killian, former community director at Capcom, said that Capcom still had a good relationship with Marvel. Which is immediately apparent leading into UMvC3 and beyond as the Marvel team was super enthused and it's hard to see why not. It is probably the most prolific game to use the Marvel IP, and one with the greatest sales, and there is no reason why Marvel wouldn't jump on the opportunity, even if they Avengerize it.
Capcom is broke! That's why we didn't get MvC4 this year/2013/2012/simultaneously-with-UMvC3! - Possible, but thinking about this in the context of now is doing it wrong
Now, as far as I can tell from financial reports, Capcom being a sinking ship is greatly exaggerated and they've still put up profits the past few years. I'm not sure why co-development is seen as an indicator that a company is "broke," just because you have a partner that is willing to subsidize costs. That sounds advantageous for me, especially if it ends up being more lucrative than making it multiplatform, which you pretty much have no way of knowing unless you're a Capcom shareholder. There is reason to believe Capcom is currently focusing effort on their 6 breadwinner IPs, and I even think they stated it outright, but this would obviously mean a SF should come before an MvC. We've heard all these rumblings about Capcom not being able to fund SFV in very close proximity to when the game was announced, so a bit of skepticism is required here when reading into these statements, and less assumption about where they are allocating an unknown amount of money to an unknown number of projects.

Why would they put out MvC4 or even start talking about it before SFV is out? Makes no sense, agreed? SFV was just announced and we initially got estimates that it was much further off. As a general rule, we should learn not to take so much stock into "you might not see another iteration until exact year here." These comments are inherently speculative and should not be confused with formal announcements.

That said, when Seth said that the franchise needs time to breathe, the genre was getting very saturated. 2011/2012 probably had the most fighting games released ever, and that included TWO MvC titles in the span of a year. Something Capcom caught a lot of flak for, and it might even be further damaging if they bring out another so soon, and before SFV. It does not make sense right now. The MCU isn't going to die out tomorrow, so there isn't really an urgency to strike while the iron is hot. Now is clearly not the right time for Capcom as far as positioning their brand and releases goes, and who knows for Marvel.
So when will we get it, and when is best for Capcom? Why should Marvel care?
Ideally, a few years out from SFV, just how MvC3 was. But things are different now, we might get it earlier. It all depends on Capcom's momentum moving forward with SFV and whether they make that link between companies again. It is in both of their interests because MvC is a multimillion unit franchise for both of them, but we really don't know how Disney's licensing works now or what Capcom is planning. For all we know, it's in pre-production already.

All we can do is wait and see, unfortunately, and try not to get misguided by unfounded totalitarian-Disney rumours or particularly weak & unsupported arguments for why an MvC4 is unlikely. Make no mistake, I believe an MvC4 will only happen when the stars, interests and schedules (remember, MvC3 and UMvC3 release periods were determined by Marvel) of both companies align, but it's so mutually beneficial and makes sense for both their money and portfolios that it seems way more likely that we'll see it soon than we'll see Disney fold or SFV not do well.

Also general lol @ anyone believing they'd rather work with WB/NRS on an off-colour wannabe that'll sell less than the real deal with a company they already have a working relationship with.

Tizoc

Of course it is. It absolutely makes no sense if you bother to put an ounce of thought into it. All it does its make Panther look like an idiot who doesn't think things thought. I wish he got his ass kicked right after that.

...but if Batman says it, it's OK I take it?
The whole point of it, is that BP trained for as long as he can remember to deal with the craziest shit that are inconceivably possible, such as out prep-timing prep-timed Batman.

What? Are you guys joking or trying to sound dumb? There's nothing wrong with what he said. That's like, literally what any good student is taught. Learning only how to solve specific problems is a terrible way to prepare for the real world, while learning how to handle new challenges (because chances are you're not going to work at a place that gives you the exact problems you solved in school) is much better. That's the basic gist of it, except applied to fighting and stuff

Top Bottom