• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvelous Ent. working on PS3/360 game

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Opiate said:
What's your evidence of this? Honest question. Development costs tend to go up, not down.

This makes no sense. So, developing for systems get more expensive over time? I would think it's the opposite here...

tokkun

MadmanUK said:
Apparently the PS360 game will be a prequel to Rainy Woods, entitled Damp Forest.

Damp Forest would be a sequel to Rainy Woods. The prequel would have to be something like Overcast Copse.

sciplore

Opiate said:
What's your evidence of this? Honest question. Development costs tend to go up, not down.

Wow really? I figured with the engines figured out and the R&D teams are done showing off what the systems can do (or how they at least want things to run) that the developing became more easier, cheaper and a shorter turnabout.

But ontopic I wish that its an XBLA/PSN Harvest Moon game that allows multiplayer akin to Kingdom for Kelflings. But it will most likely be some action/shooter game knowing the demographic thats on the systems.

wsippel

Banned
Kintaro said:
This makes no sense. So, developing for systems get more expensive over time? I would think it's the opposite here...
Production costs go down, yes. Expectations go up, though. And usually faster.

Firewire

Banned
sciplore said:
Wow really? I figured with the engines figured out and the R&D teams are done showing off what the systems can do (or how they at least want things to run) that the developing became more easier, cheaper and a shorter turnabout.

But ontopic I wish that its an XBLA/PSN Harvest Moon game that allows multiplayer akin to Kingdom for Kelflings. But it will most likely be some action/shooter game knowing the demographic thats on the systems.

A few developers have commented on the increasing cost of the artistic side of game development.

Dascu

Keep in mind that this would be Marvelous' first step into HD development. This could be a very costly venture.

Volcynika

Glad to see Marvelous is spreading the love. Their Wii output has been excellent so far, and I'm interested to see where this venture takes them, and I hope it treats them well.

Just as a aside, if it's expected by end of fiscal 2010, is that by April 2011? I forget how Japanese devs/pubs set up their fiscal years.

Durante

Kintaro said:
Opiate's thoughts on development costs are a bit strange.

Anyway, I hope (in spite of knowing better) when they say high end platforms they include the PC. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about their budget, there's nothing inherently more expensive about developing for HD platforms and I doubt they'll try to rival the detail level of top-end games on those platforms (which is the only case in which the so-called "cost explosion" actually happens).

Neo C.

Kintaro said:
Depends on developers' expectations, I guess. If they just recycle the formula, recycle their assets, and speed up the development, costs will go down for the sequel. If they want to top the prequel in any possible way, putting more substance, game length and all, no way the sequel would cost less. ExciteBots for example was way longer in the development than the prequel.

markatisu

Glad to see some companies understand you can do both, its not an either/or situation if you want to maximize your profit potential.

Marvelous is also not abandoning the Wii which is good to see, they would probably go bankrupt if that was the case since there is no way in hell they can sustain themselves on HD platforms. Their Wii output has been great, so if they want to make HD games more power to them.

I think were in for a treat here, I think we will more surprised as to what genre the game is. To this date I find their games to be an ever impressive on going exercise of depth within minimalism. I must admit the news of the layoffs earlier were worrisome but things happen for a reason.

Top Bottom