• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

marvelous entertainment airing out grievances over wii game sales

Emotions

AceBandage said:
NMH has sold around 400K WW, which is excellent, especially given how Suda's games usually sell and the kind of budget they have.
But the other MMV games haven't been as lucky.
HM games are quite popular specially on Nintendo consoles and handhelds . They're decent sellers worldwide. They have a loyal following.

GhaleonQ

And it's not like they're putting out counterintuitively "badass" or violent games. They're hitting the Wii aesthetic really well. Little King's Story sums up so much about Japanese game design and the Wii itself. They should have success.

CTLance said:
Listen to this man. It's awesome.

Seriously. All of you whining for Pikmin 3 had better get yourselves copies. Marvelous/Kimura and company deserve hits!

I bought NMH here. I plan on buying Muramasa and possibly Arc Rise when they come out. Little King Story doesn't interest me though. I hope these guys stay in business cause I like what they publish.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What kind of monies does MMV see from NMH given their pub arrangements with ubi and red star or whatever?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kev said:
What kind of monies does MMV see from NMH given their pub arrangements with ubi and red star or whatever?
Rising Star Games is their subsidiary, not sure what they get from Ubisoft though.

MMV and RSG/XSEED need to look at what made NHM a success (outside Japan of course) and mimic what they did for their other games.

Whatever they're doing now isn't working so much...

Then again, there's only HM ToT, RFF, and LKS out of Japan.

Has RSG really been advertising LKS? They do a lot of promotion online it seems, with it's own blog, exclusive videos, etc.

What did they do for NMH?

Do we know for certain if RFF hasn't been doing so well in NA? Everywhere I see the game it's still full price.

Not sure about Harvest Moon ToT, it's only been out for a little over half a year right? It's not even that good isn't it? I skipped it figuring Animal Parade would come out which seems a lot better.

I'm buying Little King's Story for sure when it comes out, as long as I have the money at the time. Reel Fishing will be a rental because I believe it's sadly going to be under par, unless reviews magically say otherwise.

Muramasa and Arc Rise, day 1 if possible too.

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga is also up there, it's even $40 according to EBGames!

Animal Parade still looks good, but I'll probably rent it first.

My Little Shop will have to wait, I can't connect online right now due to a lock on the wireless router.

Zen

Banned
Well I'll be getting No More Heroes 2, I bought Grim Grimoire as well. I feel bad for the guys but I don't exactly have the spare change to support them just for the sake of it. Hopefully they kick ass! :(

EDIT: I don't even know what Little Kings Story is.

Zen said:
Well I'll be getting No More Heroes 2, I bought Grim Grimoire as well. I feel bad for the guys but I don't exactly have the spare change to support them just for the sake of it. Hopefully they kick ass! :(

Cross between Actraiser and Pikmin.

But the writer also adds that despite the current bad market, games that sell are still selling really well, so it’s probably just a lack of ability on Marvelous Entertainment’s part.

Why did you exclude this part in the bolded TC especially when it was a continuation of the statement?

Zen

Banned
Yeah but games that sell are also games that are tens of millions of dollars with huge exposure and marketting budgets... I don't think it's fair of him to blame himself as having a 'lack of ability' they just need to be smarter about how they market there titles on a limited budget. I was under the impression taht the internet did most of the marketting for No More Heroes.

I mean NMH is a sucess only because of its unique financial position, not because of how much it sold relative to the norm (very little).

GhaleonQ

Zen said:

An art game company split into 3 commercial-oriented ones, reunited for 1 game with staff from Square-Enix, Nintendo, Marvelous, and Cing, with redone classical music by the composers from Kingdom Hearts and Skies Of Arcadia. Its humor is simultaneously charming and slightly peculiar, like Chibi-Robo mixed with Incredible Crisis. It's a story-based game with Pikmin-like strategy, puzzle-like bosses, and RPG/Animal Crossing-like villager development. It's undeniably charming in every respect.

It's also the best Wii game ever (I think) and certainly the best game of this year.

Flying_Phoenix said:

But the writer also adds that despite the current bad market, games that sell are still selling really well, so it’s probably just a lack of ability on Marvelous Entertainment’s part.

Why did you exclude this part in the bolded TC especially when it was a continuation of the statement?

Because this is neogaf.

Emotions said:
I did my part... i picked up Rune Factory Frontier, Rune Factory 1 and 2, Steal Princess,
HM Tree of Tranquility, No More Heroes, Flower Sun & Rain,HM Island of Happiness, HM DS and Cute, Lux-Pain,Valhalla Knights 1& 2, Innocent Life (PSP) and HM Boy & Girl :D

Picking up when out... Muramasa,Little King's,Arc Rise Fantasia, Valhalla Elder Saga,Reel Fishing Angler's Dream, HM Animal Parade, HM Sunshine Islands, HM My little Shop and HM Sugartown.
Go Marvelous Go
How is Steal Princess anyway? I've been curious about it, but there are so many other games I want to get on DS that I passed it up.

EDarkness

I'm gonna pick up Arc Rise Fantasia when it comes out in English. I've been recommending it to my friends and students who own a Wii and have been wanting new games to play as well. I would have picked up the Japanese version, but I've been doing too much double dipping as of late and the wife is getting on my case about it. Heh, heh.

The Wii market in Japan is pretty horrible right now, so I can see his point, but I hope they keep trying because that's the only way they can really build a good core audience on the platform. Of course, help from the big publishers wouldn't hurt, either.

Oxx

Little King's Story is excellent, but I'm not sure if it will find a significant audience in the west.

It's Teen-rated and really quite difficult in parts, but it does look like something designed for young children.

MoogPaul

EDarkness said:
The Wii market in Japan is pretty horrible right now, so I can see his point, but I hope they keep trying because that's the only way they can really build a good core audience on the platform. Of course, help from the big publishers wouldn't hurt, either.

It's not just the Wii market. The Japanese market refuses to buy new IPs. It;s borderline insane at this point how, for the most part, they will only buy sequels or gaiden titles. It's not a surprise, considering this information, how the number 1 market for video games for decades has become 3 in recent years.

jrricky

Banned
Sadist said:
I'm buying Arc Rise of Fantasia, Muramasa, Ju-On and No More Heroes 2. I love you Marvelous. <3
XSEED is actually dealing with that one.

Sad to here this about them. Hope for more prosperity in the future projects.

Eteric Rice said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/marketing-rules-wii-not-quality-report

Another developer comments on the Wii. Says unless you have serious money to market your games, it's not worth it.

But then, don't most of the big HD games have big ad campaigns?

Marketing has ALWAYS been the key factor in game sales.
It's why you can sell crap games, and why great games fail.
Not sure why publishers are just starting to figure this out, when it's been common knowledge for years.

Haunted

GhaleonQ said:
An art game company split into 3 commercial-oriented ones, reunited for 1 game with staff from Square-Enix, Nintendo, Marvelous, and Cing, with redone classical music by the composers from Kingdom Hearts and Skies Of Arcadia. Its humor is simultaneously charming and slightly peculiar, like Chibi-Robo mixed with Incredible Crisis. It's a story-based game with Pikmin-like strategy, puzzle-like bosses, and RPG/Animal Crossing-like villager development. It's undeniably charming in every respect.

It's also the best Wii game ever (I think) and certainly the best game of this year.
clap.gif

Now that's how you sell a game on NeoGAF.

Why does it cost twice as much to make a PSP game than a PS2 game? is it just because of the costs Sony talked about dropping 80% at E3?

Linkzg said:
Why does it cost twice as much to make a PSP game than a PS2 game? is it just because of the costs Sony talked about dropping 80% at E3?

I think it mostly has to do with the PS2 being far older. Thus development costs must've divebombed over time.

Magnus

GhaleonQ said:

And bam, now I'm interested. Thanks

fernoca

They’re asking interested people to pre-order their upcoming game Little King’s Story, as it is apparently getting very little pre-orders, and retailers won’t even take their game for display in the shop if the pre-orders are bad.
THIS!!

So many people around here are constantly slamming Gamestop and not preordering games because they don't want to give anything to Gamestop....then you see them complaining about how the game is rare, or they received only 1 copy, etc etc..

Preorder games! Gamestop, Best Buy, the first store that when you ask to preorder the game they let you; do it!

EDarkness

Eteric Rice said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/marketing-rules-wii-not-quality-report

Another developer comments on the Wii. Says unless you have serious money to market your games, it's not worth it.

But then, don't most of the big HD games have big ad campaigns?

I really think people are overthinking this stuff. There's always talk of finding the "Wii Audience" or assumptions that the "Wii Audience" is a bunch of kids or people who don't know any better. I simply don't buy that. Take this new Transformers game, instead of trying to make something "cool" and on par with the 360/PS3 version, they talk about how the "Wii Audience" is more "casual" and "family friendly". Then they'll wonder why the game bombed and complain about how hard it is to find this elusive "Wii Audience".

Stop overthinking this stuff. Just make your game and market it like you would any other game.

Hero of Legend said:
Wow. So then, how would one know when he's been banned?

You won't. The best thing to do is ignore him; his shtick is tiresome, and it's really not worth engaging in any way.

EDarkness said:
Heh, it's already derailed this thread, so it must work. ;)

Yeah, unfortunately. There's always someone who takes him seriously, or who points out "lol banned!", and then there's everyone who points out he's not banned, and then there's chumps like me who keep on repeating "don't bother". After several years of seeing the same routine, it does get pretty bloody tedious though.

EDarkness

Cosmonaut X said:
You won't. The best thing to do is ignore him; his shtick is tiresome, and it's really not worth engaging in any way.

Heh, it's already derailed this thread, so it must work. ;)

zigg

Oxx said:
It's Teen-rated and really quite difficult in parts, but it does look like something designed for young children.

Kimura's reasoning on the design choice (from our interview-article that just went up today—which everyone should read, it's very entertaining and interesting... did you know he did some design work for No More Heroes?):

Though the concept matter of Little King's Story and his drawings are dark, having the characters be really cute allows the exploration of serious concepts in new ways.

"If you have two normal people standing there, and one of them says 'I KILL YOU!' and stabs the other one, that's just sad," Kimura tells us. "But if you have two little anime-cartoon cute guys, and one of them says [high-pitched voice] 'I KILL YOU!' and stabs the other one, it's serious, but it's really funny. It's the opposite of real people in games doing corny, goofy things... we have little goofy guys doing very serious things."

We mention Wii Sports Resort, playable on the show floor, and how the game focuses on the look of terror in the Mii faces as they plummet to their watery doom after being knocked off the platforms in swordfights. Kimura laughs. "Just like that!"

I know this doesn't really address your point, but I love the thought process.

CTLance

Hero of Legend said:
Wow. So then, how would one know when he's been banned?
I didn't really notice his posts so I guess I somehow missed the tag then! :lol
It's Dinky Cow. Drinky Cow. -ARGH- Drinky Crow. He is like a neogaf staple. You'll get used to him. He's only there to rile up the newcomers and the occasional cranky fulltime gaffer.

zigg said:
Kimura's reasoning on the design choice (from our interview-article that just went up today—which everyone should read, it's very entertaining and interesting... did you know he did some design work for No More Heroes?):

I know this doesn't really address your point, but I love the thought process.

As we run out of time for our interview and more reporters are ushered in to see a couple upcoming titles, Kimura-san swipes his firetruck back up from off the table and slides it into his pocket.

"Is it okay if I just sit in the corner?"

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom