• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Ant-Man - Trailer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Man I just cannot get a read on this movie - it certainly has some tonally-inconsistent trailers. Is this a more serious entry into the MCU like Winter Soldier? Is it more of an action comedy in the vein of GOTG? Is it somewhere in between like The Avengers? On the plus side, the costume and effects looks great.

Thought it would be more of a comedy, but the trailer made it look fairly generic.

I have a feeling when Edgar Wright was at the helm, it was more of a comedy with some action sprinkled throughout - but when he left the project it was made to be more tonally consistent with the rest of the MCU.

That train gag - in terms of visuals - is straight out of the Edgar Wright comedy playbook. Well done for them for capturing it, thought it was brilliantly done.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that particular scene was already storyboarded by him before he left, the gun one was straight out of his test footage from a year ago

I was fairly underwhelmed until the train scene. I hope there are a lot more gags like that one, we already have enough conventional superhero movies.

Same, I saw a lot of the jokes coming and I'm not even witty. The train was pretty amazing though.

The effects are actually amazing, but the tone is all over the place.

Marvel trailers usually have that serious tone going on for it, but the movie is probably almost all lighthearted. IM3 is a good example, they used mandarin for almost all their trailers and made him look like the big bad and it ended up being a comedy.

Looks fun, although I don't like putting the "central comedic moment" of a movie in a trailer. Makes them lose all their effect when you see them for real.

See the "we have a hulk" from avengers. That fell flat real hard.

CloudWolf

I have a feeling when Edgar Wright was at the helm, it was more of a comedy with some action sprinkled throughout - but when he left the project it was made to be more tonally consistent with the rest of the MCU.
Yeah, probably. The train scène and the 'I want you to break into a place and steal stuff'-line wouldn't be out of place in a Wright-written movie.

I'm conflicted, because I want this to work so much, but something feels off to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it's just not winning me over. Maybe it's the generic theme music? It feels mismatched with the tone of the humour presented.

sappyday

Um how would the toy train hurt them? They retain their strength of a regular human right?

Probably a dumb thing to ask and obvious that I don't read comics.

Still I hope this is good. I like the idea of Ant-Man a lot and I really liked it when Wright was behind it. Still think it could be really cool but has a total chance of being forgotten. I mean pretty much any of the Phrase 3 movies have more hype than this except Thor 3.

Except they brought in Adam McKay to do rewrites of the script? Why would anyone bring in Adam McKay to add drama or action to a film?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that particular scene was already storyboarded by him before he left, the gun one was straight out of his test footage from a year ago

Absolutely. Some parts do feel like that, but that section in particular feels very much like a typical Wright visual joke (especially as I was watching Hot Fuzz recently, but it wouldn’t be out of place in Scott Pilgrim). Works for me – if the movie manages to keep his sense of visual comedy then I’ll be happy. Promising stuff.

cyba89

The action scenes look really cool and unique. But these forced funny dialogues are still bad. The tone is a bit all over the place.

tomtom94

That "break into a place and steal some stuff" has to be a Wright/Cornish line, surely? Instantly got an image of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost there.

I loved that, much better than the first trailer. Still think it's going to look a bit corny up on screen (especially if they keep some of the more melodramatic dialogue intact) but the dialogue's great and the leads nail it in that trailer.

I'm off to start work on my fanfiction for how Peter Russo
survived HoC season one
and became Yellowjacket

DeathyBoy

Banned
Absolutely. Some parts do feel like that, but that section in particular feels very much like a typical Wright visual joke (especially as I was watching Hot Fuzz recently, but it wouldn’t be out of place in Scott Pilgrim). Works for me – if the movie manages to keep his sense of visual comedy then I’ll be happy. Promising stuff.

Word.

Balance of Wright and McKay/Rudd would be perfect. They're all clever, good writers after all.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
mP6ARj.gif

This got a legit laugh out of me.

Man I just cannot get a read on this movie - it certainly has some tonally-inconsistent trailers. Is this a more serious entry into the MCU like Winter Soldier? Is it more of an action comedy in the vein of GOTG? Is it somewhere in between like The Avengers? On the plus side, the costume and effects looks great.
Seems pretty obvious that it's a mixture of serious/comedy to me...

Lunar15

Tone aside, I really, really, love the effects for this movie. It looks so unique from the typical marvel movie, and that's freaking great.

jey_16

Banned
Didn't do much for me. Felt as if I've seen this trailer many times before. Middle aged white protagonist with witty one liners is given a shot to save every one he cares about. Villain is reminiscent of Obadiah Stane. Love interest reminds me of Peggy Carter.

Nothing too interesting for me. This trailer alone shows me they're even out of ideas.

same, hard to get excited about it.....maybe you have to be a fan of the comics?

Good god i hope WB snatches him up for flash or something. The man managed to make Simon Pegg look like a chan-esque drunken master

If theres a lot of stuff like that gun run and the train then day one

Altairre

Looking forward to this, hopefully they'll do a lot of crazy setpieces with the shrinking like the train stuff. I doubt anything Marvel does this year will top Daredevil for me though.

This. Furthermore McKay has said that Paul Rudd was also very involved with the rewrites.

Yup, and the fact that the actors indicated that the movie was very improv heavy, like a typical Frat Pack movie... This is clearly going to be a comedy, with or without Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom