• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Just finished it. Show had major problems but was definitely not super bad. I hope they change the showrunner and fight choreographers in season 2. IMO the cast is perfectly fine, they just need better material to work with. Very much looking forward to the Defenders now!

Dai101

Banned
Just finished with this.

Definitely in the low end along with Iron-Man 2. Not great but serviceable. Don't see where the hate comes from really.

That said, yeah, this show really needed a good polishing. The action is from regular to arrow levels laughable, also they need to get better writers.

Loved the ending tho' Madame Gao is my favorite tv villain definitely.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
giphy.gif

AndersK

Just finished with this.

Definitely in the low end along with Iron-Man 2. Not great but serviceable. Don't see where the hate comes from really.

That said, yeah, this show really needed a good polishing. The action is from regular to arrow levels laughable, also they need to get better writers.

Loved the ending tho' Madame Gao is my favorite tv villain definitely.

I think an important point to note about 'hate' is that bad reviews ain't that. 1 out of 5 reviewers would recommend this right now, and a average just below 5 suggest it's simply below-par compared to its contemporaries. If anything you could say you.dont understand the dissatisfaction people have with it, often harsher reviews Come from that place.

I generally like Marvels output, but this isn't getting a Mass Effect-ish shellacking currently. Just a very very timid response.

Pachimari

Finished Episode 3 and it got even better. I love that
Jeri Hogarth
showed up already to help. And the whole feud between Danny and the Meachums is well set up and played out. I love that the whole politics thing is getting into the picture. And holy fuck at that ending! Oh yeah, I loved
Madame Gao's
appearance. Really showed that even the most fierce can fear them.

Kalm

I know absolutely nothing about the character other than the basic premise for the show. Is this what he's actually like in the comic? Sort of a hapless goofball?

I was expecting something similar to "Bruce coming home in Batman Begins" but it's more of a "Will Ferrell stumbling around NY in Elf" vibe. I've only had time to watch the first episode though.

Ladekabel

I think it's great that they have so much corporation business stuff. That's really interesting. Especially the moments with Ward and Joy. Something similar needs to be done with Star Wars where they go into detail with what caused the trade war.

AndersK

I know absolutely nothing about the character other than the basic premise for the show. Is this what he's actually like in the comic? Sort of a hapless goofball?

I was expecting something similar to "Bruce coming home in Batman Begins" but it's more of a "Will Ferrell stumbling around NY in Elf" vibe. I've only had time to watch the first episode though.

Danny is a hapless goofball and probably a very unremarkable Iron fist. Got his moments, it's part of the charm really. One of the better Iron fist runs has him losing a tournament fairly hard. The show does overdo this part, imo.

LordRaptor

my guess would be
she came from k'un lun and shes not actively trying to kill danny only help him unlock his full potential as iron fist and that she claims shes been around for centuries

Yeah, I mean... (end of season character spoilers)
even if she's not specifically that character from that comics run, shes elevated to more than just 'mob boss' level. Or is she? Its also possible shes just fucking with Danny and playing mind games, and just picked up the name Iron Fist somewhere along the way, or heard a rumour about K'un Lun with enough specificity to bluff that she's been there.
Either way, some nice fleshing out for her in this show, and I liked the added ambiguity of whether or not she is a straight up bad guy (which as I said in an earlier post is what I think the recurring theme of the show was supposed to be - identity and expectations)

Trago

Just finished binge watching.

First half of the season felt eh, slow. Then things seem to kick off by the end of episode 5. Fight choreography felt.....off early on, then really picked up. This could have easily been a couple episodes shorter, but I liked it.

EDIT: Also, Colleen is best Marvel Netflix waifu.

Ladekabel

Just finished binge watching.

First half of the season felt eh, slow. Then things seem to kick off by the end of episode 5. Fight choreography felt.....off early on, then really picked up. This could have easily been a couple episodes shorter, but I liked it.

This applies to all Marvel Netflix series.

Zafir

Yeah, I mean... (end of season character spoilers)
even if she's not specifically that character from that comics run, shes elevated to more than just 'mob boss' level. Or is she? Its also possible shes just fucking with Danny and playing mind games, and just picked up the name Iron Fist somewhere along the way, or heard a rumour about K'un Lun with enough specificity to bluff that she's been there.
Either way, some nice fleshing out for her in this show, and I liked the added ambiguity of whether or not she is a straight up bad guy (which as I said in an earlier post is what I think the recurring theme of the show was supposed to be - identity and expectations)

I mean, she can force push people by barely touching them. She does it in Iron Fist to Danny, and I'm sure I remember her doing that in Daredevil S1. That doesn't seem that natural, she seems big about the truth too. I doubt she was bluffing really.

Dai101

Banned
I mean, she can force push people by barely touching them. She does it in Iron Fist to Danny, and I'm sure I remember her doing that in Daredevil S1. That doesn't seem that natural, she seems big about the truth too. I doubt she was bluffing really.

Yes. She did kick Matt's ass without even touching him back in S1

Seeing that RZA directed episode six, how is The Man with the Iron Fist? Always wanted to see it but never got around.

Theres some problems.

It's visually VERY cool, but the action feels flat.

The movie actually has the same problem with the series because it cast people that aren't fighters.

The movie was going to be 5 hours long or something like that before the producers cut down the movie, so who knows, maybe we lost the Ultimate Wu-Tang Experience

It's still a very interesting watch if you're a fan of the genre though.

RZA clearly loves it and you can see it pouring through the movie

LordRaptor

Madame Gao obviously isn't a regular little old lady, but in the scope of the MCU theres a wide range of origin stories she potentially could have (reply vague enough that I don't think it needs spoilers...?)

Ploid 3.0

Watched the first episode and going into episode 2 wanting to know why are they being so stupid about Danny. It's pissing me off, I can understand if they were the reason his parents died but they are acting like they don't believe it's him even when he's not around so I don't know. Arrrrrrgh!

Anyway, went in with super low expectations, and I don't mind it so far. Good background show while I play a game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ironically this feels like the most consistant show since DD Season 1...

...but thats because its consistantly bland :/

For example I think JJ has worse lows, but IF has no highs so...yeah. lol :(

I'm on episode 7 and I just had a thought.....
What the fuck happened to Kyle?

It already feels too drawn out, they really need to aim for a 10 episode arc. I can't take Loras Tyrell seriously as Kung-Fu master at all. But its watchable, certainly not as bad as those early reviews made out.

Trago

Looking back, Daredevil Season 1 was the absolute best, and my personal favorite. Fight choreography was on point. Pacing was excellent. Likable characters. THE FUCKING KINGPIN.

They need to clone the showrunners and hand them out to the other shows.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So far this hasn't had the highs of any of the other shows (though episode 6 was pretty good) but also non of the lows.

It's fun and dumb.

Okay, so, on episode 4 and... this isn't very good. There's like... some kind of underlying problem with the structure of the show. Fights are deeply unsatisfying, but not for any reason I can pinpoint while watching them, they just utterly lack impact in a way that's actually kind of unusual in how bland they are. I was commenting to my friends how I thought they should have kicked off the first episode with a big fight like Into the Badlands, but then I remembered wait, there was a fight, and I'd literally forgotten it all of 30 minutes later. On the writing side, Danny vacillates between nice guy zen cloud cuckoo lander and tortured avenger with basically 0 space in between. His motivation is unbelievably vague and only occasionally mentioned. Dude seems to lack any kind of driving purpose or agency, just bouncing around, without even the character writing you'd need to make that entertaining.

It's like a worse-written, angstier, more pointless Arrow S1 with really bad fights, to boot. About all I can say for it is that some of the actors are putting in work.

Problem with Luke is (well my problem with Luke) is ....He has zero fighting style. He is just bullet proof, hay makers and .....Like he is not exciting to watch fight at all.

See, this is what I fucking loved about his fights. 0 style, but lord almighty so much strength. Dude looked legit bored.

I love a good one-sided curbstomping, and LC delivered them in spades.

Irobot82

Okay, so, on episode 4 and... this isn't very good. There's like... some kind of underlying problem with the structure of the show. Fights are deeply unsatisfying, but not for any reason I can pinpoint while watching them, they just utterly lack impact in a way that's actually kind of unusual in how bland they are. I was commenting to my friends how I thought they should have kicked off the first episode with a big fight like Into the Badlands, but then I remembered wait, there was a fight, and I'd literally forgotten it all of 30 minutes later. On the writing side, Danny vacillates between nice guy zen cloud cuckoo lander and tortured avenger with basically 0 space in between. His motivation is unbelievably vague and only occasionally mentioned. Dude seems to lack any kind of driving purpose or agency, just bouncing around, without even the character writing you'd need to make that entertaining.

It was Kung-Fu without the style of a Kung-Fu movie.

Sanctuary

You see Danny Rand and Davros in full jade and gold costumes in flashback

When?

Their monk robes aren't exactly "costumes".

Daredevil S1 > Luke Cage > Daredevil S2 Punisher > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist >Daredevil S2 Elektra

This is about right.

Pretty accurate if you pretend the whole Diamondback arc doesn't exist in Luke Cage. Theo Rossi was also woefully miscast and not once menacing or believable as a truly great schemer. Not sure why you split the weak parts from the other series, but left that in as quality. Unless you truly believe the back half of that was better than everything else on the list.

The two halves of Daredevil S2 feel like different shows.

Honestly I could do the same for the two halves of Luke Cage.

Well, nevermind!

Harmen

Thus far I am enjoying it quite a bit (first two episodes), but I can totally see why the reviews where much less for this one, if it stays this way.

Characters tend to do more nonsensical stuff and the dialogue just does not feel natural at times. It suffers from that writing pitfall where the writers make the characters behave in a certain manner to get them into specific plot situations, rather than having the characters act naturally and letting the situations flow out of their decisions/actions. Furthermore, the other Marvel Netflix shows have significant social commentary thoughtfully woven into their plot, there seems to be nothing like that here. And this show overall just lacks the style the three others shows have.

I do, however, look forward to the next episodes and think the quality is absolutely fine.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Ep. 10 Spoilers

What, Colleen is also Hand? Her character has been steadily getting worse and worse, too.

Does every Asian person have to be either Hand or Triad?

- J - D -

We made it through the first ep just now. Early yet but despite its few charms it was dreadfully dull and characters are frustratingly dense. Title music sounds like it escaped from Tron Legacy. We took another shot of scotch before just now starting ep. 2.

Retro

Edit: Hahaha, a huge post at the bottom of the page, nobody's gonna read this at all =p.

Basically binge-watched it last night and today. I would put it squarely at the bottom of the Marvel / Netflix series (DDS1 > Cage > JJ > DDS2 > IF). All Iron Fist spoilers will be tagged, but I've got some comparisons to other Marvel / Netflix stuff I'm not gonna tag because, really, you should watch those first.

TLDR: Acting is good, but the direction needs work, and Finn Jones needs more to do than vaguely Eastern plotspeak to belt out. Plot suffers from the usual Netflix Drift (too many episodes, plots meanders too much), special effects were on the cheap side, fight scenes weren't particularly flashy. I was looking forward to Iron Fist the least and felt it was the one that'd be hardest to execute properly and that's pretty much how it shook out.

Actors are... okay. Jessica Henwick (
Colleen
) was great, maybe some more stunt training.
The Meachum siblings
are alright; Tom Pelphery's mannerisms and way of speaking reminds me of Tobias Menzies (Rome, Outlander), and not in a bad way.
Faramir
was great.
Rosario Dawson
continues to impress and I'm glad she's getting more and more stuff to do instead of just showing up and disappearing (though at a certain point her tagging along on some of these dangerous adventures is stretching things).

And then there's Finn Jones. I'm sure the material doesn't help (he's basically tossed into the George Lucas Sarlacc Pit of Plot Gobbledygook), and I suspect some of the direction he was given basically boils down to "be a know-it-all rich kid," but he just never really clicked. Felt like he's just sort of smarmed his way through the role (again, that may have been the intent) right up until he needed to scowl through the role. It's not horrible, but it definitely needs improvement. Maybe he'll get more to work with both script and direction-wise.

Not even touching the whole "white guy condescendingly schools asian who's been trained all her life" can of worms. Nooooooooope.jpg. I noticed it and it's problematic but I'm not going there.

Plot was alright, but suffers from the usual Netflix Drift. The first few episodes felt like they were racing through plot points at a slow shuffle; people are behaving in a way that they shouldn't (
"I feel like such a shit for drugging Danny. Why did I even have drugs like that in my office to begin with? Why would I, a normal person, have no problem drugging someone anyway?"
) to drive the plot, but the plot isn't really driving anywhere. I feel like the first 3 or 4 episodes could have been condensed down to one; it shouldn't take so long for them to sort out the
"Is it really Danny!?"
question and certainly not as long to dick around with the legal shenanigans (
which also felt rushed due to Deus Ex Faramir pulling the strings
).
The Hand
and
Gao
at least felt like they came into the plot organically, though everything with
Bakuto
felt unnecessarily drawn out and the hierarchy of
The Hand
could have been better explained (
are there different factions fighting each other? Is Gao really part of the Hand when she wasn't before?
). Not quite so bad as the giant, literal plot hole in Daredevil S2, but still...

Glad there was no mid-season speedbump (i.e. "Punisher is great, this is turning out to be a really great seaso-oh shit, here comes Elektra, nevermind.") or Purple Man peekaboo (You almost caught me! Nope I escaped. Damn you caught me! Nope I escaped! Hey you almost caught me! Nope I escaped! You caught me again! Haha, I escaped!)

Special Effects were alright, a lot of dicey green screen stuff for
Kun Lun
, not sure if it was intentional to make it feel otherworldly or if they just suck at it, but they probably could have done some location shooting instead of whatever that was. Hopefully they ramp up how often Danny uses the Fist in the future because it seemed like they had a one-glowy-Fist-per-episode limit on the budget.

Fight scenes were surprisingly off for a series about martial arts. Not gonna dig into specifics because this is kinda long already but they felt overly choreographed without being terribly exciting. There were a few points where it looked like people were waiting to hit their marks and nobody cared enough to do a second take. Highlight was the
Drunken Fighter, really fun one to watch.

My takeaway from the whole series was
Danny got the Iron Fist, had absolutely no training in it, spent a week watching the pass, saw a hawk and said "Fuck it, let's go, I'm the fucking Iron Fist!"
. They basically made a series about the least interesting part of the origin story, the "return to society". Something like Batman Begins spends what feels like 5 minutes covering Bruce Wayne coming back to Gotham, tucked in between his ninja training and taking up the mantle of Batman. Daredevil Season 1 felt like Murdock finding out how to become Daredevil. Iron Fist, on the other hand, he's already done all the training to get the super power before anything begins, and they spend 3 minutes in a late episode roughly showing the immediate aftermath of that (less time than they spent showing the same flashback of
his mom getting sucked out of the plane
over and over again). This whole series was basically "Danny Rand gets fucked around with for 12 episodes," with the only real character development being
his relationship with Colleen and 'Oh yeah, I need to channel my anger better, I guess" tacked on there at the end.

The fucking scene with the m&ms

Maybe this show is actually trash

"I need to have these messengered somewhere..." (Actual Quote).

Lady.
Hold up.
They're fuckin' M&Ms.
They're not exactly hard to find.
Don't make some poor bike courier pedal from Midtown to wherever the fuck the hospital is at to deliver a bag of fucking candy. Shit, you're in New York, Amazon Now that shit.

Top Bottom