• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Shredderi

Just finished episode 6. Until now it has been reasonably entertaining to watch but godDAMN was this ep6 a trainwreck. The fight scenes absolutely suck. I do not buy Danny as an Iron Fist for a second. He's a guy who has done martial arts for like 5-6 years. He gets semi-evenly matched by pretty regular goons. The editing and choreography is bad as well. Danny is like a more effective and trained version of Kick-Ass. The second fight of ep.6 had me rolling my eyes. This is the new hot netflix marvel show? Say what you want about DareDevil but I believed that the guy was daredevil. This guy is not the Iron Fist.

Zero315

Banned
Episode 5....

Why the fuck isn't Claire like "Oh shit, The Hand?! Let me call up Daredevil because he knows about this shit". Oh, and also Ward is a drug addict out of nowhere?

So far, yeah, this shit has been painfully boring with very few mediocre poorly shot action scenes.

I like Iron Fist (comics) - and from before Fraction / Brubaker made him cool again - and enjoyed it ¯_(ツ)_/¯

seems like a lot of people have hate boners about the final series of Dexter and general irritability about the netflix MCU shows being generally over-rated though.

what separates iron fist as bad is the script

outside of a few highlights the spoken word betweens characters in this show is really bad

you dont get scenes like daredevil and punisher got to keep you going

or JJ and Killgrave

ate least not from what i saw. i think this show would have been much better at half the runtime with half the plot and more work put j ti compelling string of events and dialogue

ouch

LiamR

Seems like a lot of people have hate boners about the final series of Dexter and general irritability about the netflix MCU shows being generally over-rated though.

Or maybe they just don't like this one? I love the other Netflix shows and even enjoyed Luke Cage to a point. I just found this to be straight up bad.

LordRaptor

Or maybe they just don't like this one? I love the other Netflix shows and even enjoyed Luke Cage to a point. I just found this to be straight up bad.

I'm not saying thats the only possible explanation, but a lot of people seem to have problems with the showrunner and convinced theyre going to hate it before pressing play on episode 1.

what separates iron fist as bad is the script

outside of a few highlights the spoken word betweens characters in this show is really bad

you dont get scenes like daredevil and punisher got to keep you going

Well, I enjoyed it, but the reasons why are mostly in eps 6-10 and I enjoyed the overall theme of identity and expectation, even though things like (ep 2 spoilers)
stuff like the gaslighting in the mental hospital are well trodden elsewhere

Dali

Episode 5....

Why the fuck isn't Claire like "Oh shit, The Hand?! Let me call up Daredevil because he knows about this shit". Oh, and also Ward is a drug addict out of nowhere?

So far, yeah, this shit has been painfully boring with very few mediocre poorly shot action scenes.
Out of nowhere? I think it was episode 2 when they first showed it.

Pachimari

Goddamn this show is fucking great so far. I loved Episode 2. And there's so many things in this I can see in myself. Even my mother likes watching it and she hates Marvel normally lol. Thank goodness the whole "is he Danny or not?" plot is taken care of. I thought it would last more than two episodes. I freaking love Danny Rand already.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
episode 2
i don't know if the doctor is just supposed to be an idiot, but if he's not then him not believing in this supernatural shit after having believing he is danny rand.

there has been enough shit in the MCU where people can't be doutful about that shit anymore

Dude talks directly about why he doesn't believe that part.

I like this one, yeah the fightscenes suck and some of the acting is questionable too, but the show is much better than the snoozefest Luke Cage.

Dynomutt

Honest question how in a show called Iron Fist about chi inspired martial arts does not a single asian character have an impactful existence in the last 30 minutes
out of a slaughtered monastery.

This show really seems like a stop gap to the defenders and a season 2 would have no logical reason to exist outside of clean up and fan service. I'm really disappointed in this show at such a missed opportunity.

Even with a template it really faltered.

Definitely had some high points in the effects with the
last move in episode 13. But I waited 13 episode to see him display just that? All to have a villain who Danny should have been able to single handedly defeat to die by gunfire and fall off a roof.

One could argue that this show was as much about Ward as it was about Danny...

The kung fu was weak with this one.

6.5/10

Kyolux

About done with Episode 5. Still thinking it's a good show. Not really seeing the hate it's getting. Sure character motivations is shaky from time to time, and Danny's fight are so-so. But Colleen's fights are pretty legit.

I like it more than Luke Cage and Daredevil season 2.

Luke Cage definitely is the better show between those two, but I really wasn't the target audience for that.

Dali

Did they? I honestly don't remember that.
I made this post yesterday morning. Pretty sure it was after watching ep 2.

me said:
This Ward guy is too over the top.

Rules are for pussies, lul
He even did the classic bad guy move, where you take a drug in pill form then tilt your head back all the way and briefly convulse before tilting the head back down with the demeanor of evil calm. I always wondered what drug these bad guys are taking to cause such an immediate reaction if its a pill.

After watching all the episodes, the show to me, is better than JJ.. But the storyline sucks.

I don't know whether to like or hate Norman, (Grant) Ward, or Joy at any given moment which is due to poor writing. Danny Rand is Goku the on level of naiveness.

AOS S4 > Daredevil S1 > Luke Cage > Daredevil S2 > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist.

episode 3
when Loras confronts the brother/sister at the restaurant, how did the sister not react to the realization that her brother tried to kill him? again?

wildfire

Banned
About the fight scenes in general...

For someone who's an Immortal Weapon he sucks. After 15 years of training he should be like Neo.

Daredevil was just starting out. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage had certain levels of reticence in using their powers. There's no real reason for IF to be at this level. It's pretty disappointing.

Very true. He essentially should be the Green Lantern of this group. The most experienced even if not as strictly as powerful as the other members. His formal training should give him a huge edge in the Defenders mash up.

Krowley

Haven't watched any if this yet. Is it as bad as the previews have led us to believe?

Yes and no.

Based on the first 6 episodes the critics reviewed, I wouldn't have been so harsh with it. But in the end it managed to disappoint me in several ways, even though my expectations were basically zero.

That said, it's entertaining enough to binge if you're bored and need something to watch, or if you're already invested in the Netflix marvel shows because of the Defenders.

LordRaptor

and my point is even then he should suspend belief because everything that's happened in his world.

Yeah but... okay, so if tomorrow an honest-to-god real life alien landed in the middle of times square and said "Hello earth, aliens exist, this is not a hoax" and it was confirmed not a hoax, and that aliens really do exist...

...do you then go "FUCK, that means GHOSTS ARE REAL!"?

Dali

Very true. He essentially should be the Green Lantern of this group. The most experienced even if not as strictly as powerful as the other members. His formal training should give him a huge edge in the Defenders mash up.
Yeah this basic ass goon in the hospital records room made him look like a chump. Iron fist is total weaksauce in this series.

LotusHD

Banned
One could argue that this show was as much about Ward as it was about Danny...
6.5/10

Yes I really don't understand this show's insistence on giving Ward so much screentime.

About done with Episode 5. Still thinking it's a good show. Not really seeing the hate it's getting. Sure character motivations is shaky from time to time, and Danny's fight are so-so. But Colleen's fights are pretty legit.

I like it more than Luke Cage and Daredevil season 2.

Luke Cage definitely is the better show between those two, but I really wasn't the target audience for that.

They're all accessible comic book shows though, why is the target audience different for Luke Cage lol

Zero315

Banned
I made this post yesterday morning. Pretty sure it was after watching ep 2.
Okay, I do kinda remember that now.

Episode 6...

That fucking zoom-in at the end of the fight with the spider tattoo woman... lmao! Ward is in full on junkie mode now. Am I supposed to like Ward and his sister or care about his drug addiction? Because I don't like them nor do I care. Ward is carttonishly evil and so is his sister at times so like... I have no idea what their deal is.

Yeah but... okay, so if tomorrow an honest-to-god real life alien landed in the middle of times square and said "Hello earth, aliens exist, this is not a hoax" and it was confirmed not a hoax, and that aliens really do exist...

...do you then go "FUCK, that means GHOSTS ARE REAL!"?
if I live in a world where I see an alien, know about people with mind controlling powers, and people walking around with superhuman strength exist, then yeah. i would definitely keep my mind open to crazier shit. it's like meachum says himself: stranger things have happened.
He gave him a chance to prove it though, that is more than most would do.
still not reasonable, or enough, as danny says right after that it's you and your fucking dope keeping me from doing that and the doctor ignores it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its the same inconsistent powers that plague the netflix marvel shows. One minute he can react with lightning fast reflexes and leap over a car he barely saw, the next someone sneaks up on him and sucker punches him in the back of the head. Like I said earlier in the thread JJ was much worse than this, one minute she is leaping so high she is effectively fling the next she can barely handle a fight with some low level thug or gets mangled by being hit by a car. I finished the JJ season with no clear idea of what her superpowers were other than she could definitively break a padlock with her bear hands.

LordRaptor

For people that finished, how comic booky is it in the end? Besides the lack of costume, is there anything resembling the source material

• You see Danny Rand and Davros in full jade and gold costumes in flashback
  • Effects budget obviosuly doesn't stretch to full on dragon CGI, but Danny totally killed an actual dragon
  • Scythe, Bride of 9 Spiders and Zhou Cheng all get cool one on one fight scenes, Davos gets some fight scenes, Colleen Wing gets a bunch of screentime and fight scenes
  • Danny seems to have got his chi together enough to wield the Iron fist effectively at will, and has a cool FALCON-PUNCH ground pound setpiece to show it off
  • There's some 1940s "found footage" of - presumably - Orson Randall in full on costume
  • Some heavy implications Madame Gao is Crane Mother

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Episode 5....

said that to myself every time they go against the hand she constantly mentions she knows other heroes but never actually tries to contact them for help would of been a great way to tie in the defenders and get that started and as for ward he was already addicted to painkillers and muscle relaxers before the heroin

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just started Ep 8:

This is kinda ridiculous that Claire isn't telling Danny about Daredevil.

Like it's odd that she didn't bring it up before the challenge a few episodes ago. (Which could've just been easily handled by Danny saying he has to do the challenge alone.)

But planning on flying to China to take on the Hand, which could be a trap. C'mon...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Just started Ep 8:

This is kinda ridiculous that Claire isn't telling Danny about Daredevil.

Like it's odd that she didn't bring it up before the challenge a few episodes ago. (Which could've just been easily handled by Danny saying he has to do the challenge alone.)

But planning on flying to China to take on the Hand, which could be a trap. C'mon...

she mentions she knows other people with powers in the last couple of episodes as well but then they still do the same bullshit without even trying to get them for help very frustrating

Daredevil S1 > Luke Cage > Daredevil S2 Punisher > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist >Daredevil S2 Elektra

This is about right.

Finished.

Honestly, on the acting side, I think Finn Jones could do a great job if given more to work with. Colleen is great and they need to get that Daughters of the Dragon show on the books now. Madame Gao is still cool.

Iron Fist lacks a strong vision, which is why Daredevil, LC, and JJ end up above it. The script is sub-par. It got better around episodes 7-10, but then pisses all that way in end.

And for a show about martial arts, it totally whiffs on the fights. Arrow's Stephen Amell is far better at selling his fights and the editing seems to have to compensate for Jones. Most hits have no impact. Choreography is done better on AoS' highpoints. It's done far better on Into the Badlands, which should've been the benchmark for this. I just feel like he needed to be in the gym more and done far, far more training for the role, or they should've cast someone more in that direction; it's not like Jones is having to do any amazing acting given the script.

It's not a horrible show, but it's not a great one. Simply full of missed opportunities. If you enjoy it, cool, but it's not a great show by any stretch. If it ran on MTV alongside Teen Wolf, I wouldn't be surprised. It feels like basic TV fare over the other shows.

What I'm enjoying about Iron Fist is that it's much lighter than the previous Netflix Marvel shows. It's much easier to binge.

I would agree with that. It's a breezy kinda show. Lack impact. I think with a different showrunner, it could be great.

Kyolux

They're all accessible comic book shows though, why is the target audience different for Luke Cage lol

Just saying the black culture of the show didn't speak to me, as it shouldn't. That's not a dig. I wasn't expecting or wanting it to speak to me. Target audience may have been the wrong word I guess in this case. Still enjoyed Luke Cage.

What I'm enjoying about Iron Fist is that it's much lighter than the previous Netflix Marvel shows. It's much easier to binge.

On episode 7 right now. It's nowhere near as awful as people are saying. Nothing has been standout incredible. It has just been average. It's fine so far.

Finished my binge. It was entertaining enough to hold my attention :D Really liked Ward's storyarc and character development. And Finn was allright as Iron Fist.

Would rank the shows: Daredevil, Jessica, Iron Fist, Luke Cage.

Dynomutt

Daredevil S1 > Luke Cage > Daredevil S2 Punisher > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist >Daredevil S2 Elektra

This is about right.

Finished.

Honestly, on the acting side, I think Finn Jones could do a great job if given more to work with. Colleen is great and they need to get that Daughters of the Dragon show on the books now. Madame Gao is still cool.

Iron Fist lacks a strong vision, which is why Daredevil, LC, and JJ end up above it. The script is sub-par. It got better around episodes 7-10, but then pisses all that way in end.

And for a show about martial arts, it totally whiffs on the fights. Arrow's Stephen Amell is far better at selling his fights and the editing seems to have to compensate for Jones. Most hits have no impact. Choreography is done better on AoS' highpoints. It's done far better on Into the Badlands, which should've been the benchmark for this. I just feel like he needed to be in the gym more and done far, far more training for the role, or they should've cast someone more in that direction; it's not like Jones is having to do any amazing acting given the script.

It's not a horrible show, but it's not a great one. Simply full of missed opportunities. If you enjoy it, cool, but it's not a great show by any stretch. If it ran on MTV alongside Teen Wolf, I wouldn't be surprised. It feels like basic TV fare over the other shows.

I would agree with that. It's a breezy kinda show. Lack impact. I think with a different showrunner, it could be great.

Thread. Well put and said. Even with the way you split up the season arcs I didn't think about it like that. Missed oppurtunity cannot be said enough.

• You see Danny Rand and Davros in full jade and gold costumes in flashback
  • Effects budget obviosuly doesn't stretch to full on dragon CGI, but Danny totally killed an actual dragon
  • Scythe, Bride of 9 Spiders and Zhou Cheng all get cool one on one fight scenes, Davos gets some fight scenes, Colleen Wing gets a bunch of screentime and fight scenes
  • Danny seems to have got his chi together enough to wield the Iron fist effectively at will, and has a cool FALCON-PUNCH ground pound setpiece to show it off
  • There's some 1940s "found footage" of - presumably - Orson Randall in full on costume
  • Some heavy implications Madame Gao is Crane Mother

Very nice. If there's season 2, I hope they go full Mortal Kombat/Brubaker-Fraction

Kyolux

Yeah, in the end, I won't keep much of the whole show compared to JJ,DD S1 or the Punisher parts of S2. Nothing in IF so far screams anywhere as impactful.

But its easily the most violent. Faces getting smashed to bits with hammers and lots of blood everywhere.

Yeah, but it's comic-book-ish violence. The other shows had that psychological weight behind them.

KonradLaw

Finished Ep6. Pretty decent so far. Nothing that will end up in my top10 shows for the year, but I'm having enough fun to continue and it's nowhere near as bad as the reviews suggested. Maybe I get that impression because I don't care about all the representation/culture approprieation issues?

I like Danny in this version, so it keeps me going. Coleen is very fun too. Fights are a bit too slow but I enjoy how different his style is compared to Daredevil. Plus at least here the Hand seems somehow more interesting than in Daredevil S2.

Anyway. Will continue to watch, especially since it seems to be slowly gaining steam as the season goes, so maybe it will improve in second half, instead of falling apart like it's tradition in Marvel Netflix shows.

Top Bottom