• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Anung

Un Rama
What the fuck was that Monopoloy flashback? lol

What an incredibly specific thing to happen. I wonder how this will come in to play in the modern day especially since Danny is trying to offer things that only they would know about him to prove he's really Danny.

*never gets mentioned again*

Renpatsu

What an incredibly specific thing to happen. I wonder how this will come in to play in the modern day especially since Danny is trying to offer things that only they would know about him to prove he's really Danny.

Remember that incredibly poignant scene of Danny and Joy as children eating M&Ms?

Yeah, I don't know the character at all outside of his brief appearences in Ultimate Spider-Man. He is pretty unlikable so far. And I fucking hate "
trapped in a mental institution
" story lines.
The story seems pretty reasonable when a guy thought to be dead, looks homeless and is constantly harassing you suddenly shows up out the blue.

I really am not getting the hate for the show, it is more intriguing than JJ and LC, , could be because I like the story lines that revolve around the hand and all that mysticism shit.

stryke

Since I don't read the comics, this Danny guy could very well be a good character adaptation of the original material, however I have very little emotional investment in this guy.

In fact, I relate more to everyone else who looks at this guy and thinks he's a fucking nut.

On ep 5 now and never has a guy swinging around nunchucks looked so unexciting.

Enjoying it so far (at ep 6).

It really has worse fight scenes than dare devil but better than JJ or Luke Cage.

Story started slow but currently i am quite intrigued

I watched the first episode. This shit is hilarious. The part where he flipped over the car looked so damn goofy and some of the acting is so bad. "How'd you find out about Danny Rand?" ... Shit."
That delivery was so weak.

I correct myself

The fight scenes have become better and better

I also like Ward way more than I thought I would and Harold is an interesting souble agent so far

Jetman

First episode was super cringey and awkward. Still going to watch the whole thing and ride it out though. There's No way this can be as horrible as Luke Cage was. No way.

J_Viper

I'm near the end of the episode, and maybe this is due to the low expectations I went in with, but I don't think this is at all terrible. I actually found it quite watchable.

It's not great, there's a lot of poor writing, but JJ, DD, and Cage all suffer from that exact problem as well. Not sure why those shows never got the flak that this has received in that regard.

Ward is lame, but he's still a better performed side character than Karen, Foggy, or JJ's blonde friend. Those three and their side-plots were legitimately terrible.

Coleen could be neat character too.

And as far as the action, it's huge step back from DD, but those two small fights were much less embarrassing than anything in JJ or Cage. I was actually entertained by them.

I was puzzled by Finn's casting, but he's okay. But again, I was expecting the worse from him, especially from all the controversy.

DD has better action, and Cage has better performers and style, but aside from that Iron Fist seems to be on the same level as the other Netflix Marvel shows. I should say though that I don't find any of them to be all too great in the first place.

The show could definitely get worse as it goes on, but for now, I think it has potential.

Ep 5
Ward isn't wrong. Danny is terrible for the company. At any real publicly traded company he'd be voted off of his seat on the board for his completely irresponsible actions.
not if you have 51% of the shares.... but yeah

I'm near the end of the episode, and maybe this is due to the low expectations I went in with, but I don't think this is at all terrible. I actually found it quite watchable.

It's not great, there's a lot of poor writing, but JJ, DD, and Cage all suffer from that exact problem as well. Not sure why those shows never got the flak that this has received in that regard.

Ward is lame, but he's still a better performed side character than Karen, Foggy, or JJ's blonde friend. Those three and their side-plots were legitimately terrible.

And as far as the action, it's huge step back from DD, but those two small fights were much less embarrassing than anything in JJ or Cage. I was actually entertained by them.

I was puzzled by Finn's casting, but he's okay. But again, I was expecting the worse from him, especially from all the controversy.

DD has better action, and Cage has better performers and style, but aside from that Iron Fist seems to be on the same level as the other Netflix Marvel shows. I should say though that I don't find any of them to be all too great in the first place.

The show could definitely get worse as it goes on, but for now, I think it has potential.
foggy is awesome

I also like Ward way more than I thought I would and Harold is an interesting souble agent so far

Feel similarly myself. The relationship between them, Danny and the
Hand
is probably the best thing the show has going for it.

Though Harold is so incredibly untrustworthy it's hilarious.

I don't know why this is getting so much flak. It's certainly not as strong as the others at least from the 4 episodes I've seen, but it has some good moments. The hate the main actor gets is a bit much. I would argue that some of the writing is very poor. They try to blend the mystic with reality and it just doesn't come off well.

My biggest issue is with the editor/director. At times it feels like the actors aren't sure how to handle the scene and everyone is forced to play these very wooden characters. The problem with pushing this all onto the main character is he has to be very charismatic. He can be charismatic, but the direction just makes him feel awkward to watch all the time.

Just finished the show, here's my hot take. Rankings first, I think Iron Fist comes in at last, reasonably below Jessica Jones. I hear some people aren't liking the show, but I would guess that one of the criticisms would be the weak characters in this show. Not weak, as in physical (well maybe that too), but just how boring they all are.
Claire
is obviously a refresh to see in this show, because it really needed her. Colleen was fine at first, but she lost her endearing tough character past the halfway point. Don't even get me started on Danny, he was plain awful and I found myself groaning at whatever plan he had next. So incompetent and naive, when
Davos calls him the worst iron fist
I laughed because it just seemed more true than even the writers had intended.

I don't blame the actors, I just think the writing was very poor this time around. Still a fine show, just that I can understand why people could have problems this time around.

I don't know why this is getting so much flak. It's certainly not as strong as the others at least from the 4 episodes I've seen, but it has some good moments. The hate the main actor gets is a bit much. I would argue that some of the writing is very poor. They try to blend the mystic with reality and it just doesn't come off well.

My biggest issue is with the editor/director. At times it feels like the actors aren't sure how to handle the scene and everyone is forced to play these very wooden characters. The problem with pushing this all onto the main character is he has to be very charismatic. He can be charismatic, but the direction just makes him feel awkward to watch all the time.
i think the problem is that people expected action as good as daredevil

Both danny and colleen have better fight scens than luke or JJ. And I mean much better. Its just that Daredevil is so incredible...

I swear I came into this OT hoping this would be brought up...what the fuck did I just watch?

What better way is there to set up a villain than to show him as a kid throwing a tantrum over a game of monopoly? Also, he tells you the viewer his dad is a bigger dick than he is, so it counts as good character development for two villains!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I'm not at the end but this definitely matches up with my general feelings so far. I think this is just catching the backlash from the other shows which were perhaps rated a little higher than they deserved.
The show still suffers from the same issues as the others - poor pacing, inconsistent character motivations, inconsistent character powers (although this is a lot better than JJ which was all over the place).

LotusHD

Banned
so does the show get better after 6 episodes?
the reviews are scaring me

Very slightly, the show usually just stays consistently average, with like one actually decent episode imo, but then it just tanks all over again with that shitty finale.

Just finished the show, here's my hot take.

Not really a hot take imo lol

Both danny and colleen have better fight scens than luke or JJ. And I mean much better. Its just that Daredevil is so incredible...

Y'all say that as if that's supposed to be impressive. Neither Jessica Jones nor Luke Cage focus on martial arts, so yea, I damn sure would hope Iron Fist would be better in that regard. Fortunately, both of those shows still had themes and what not that could hook the viewers in despite that. Whereas Iron Fist didn't exactly have great fight scenes, which makes it all the more difficult to get through the mediocre writing and dialogue.

So far, Iron Fist seems to lack a hard theme like the other series, still really like it.

Daredevil did heroes and morality. Matt struggling with his religion and his ability to kill criminals and if he should allow them to survive. They doubled down in season two when he is confronted with Frank.

Jessica Jones did heroes and personal relationships. How JJ was in this fucked up abusive relationship with a villain who controlled her. How that abuse affected her relationships with other people in her life after it over. Major substance abuse issues. People in a support groups effected by a villain.

Luke Cage showed heroes and social issue and society. Fear of a bullet proof black man. Popular culture (Method man writing a song and those cool bullet proof hoodies pissing of cops). Also showing how it impacted Harlem and small community differently than the previous series.

I've had issues moment to moment with the series but I think they's done well with their themes.

I'm 6 eps in and I would guess maybe it's a theme about the personal toll of gaining power or hero status. Danny is clearly traumatized by the death of his parents still and shows some serious PTSD from his training. 15 years of soul shattered single focus and training. Lots of questions about why he wanted to be Iron fist and if he did it for no real reason. It kind of screwed him up and I really like it so far.

The theme hasn't driven the show, it's just shown in Danny reasonably well in most of his scenes.

I watched the first episode. This shit is hilarious. The part where he flipped over the car looked so damn goofy and some of the acting is so bad. "How'd you find out about Danny Rand?" ... Shit."
That delivery was so weak.

I thought it was hilarious that he can flip over a moving car but can't do the same thing over a fence later in the same episode.

Watching it as I type, on Ep 4. Dunno if i'll stick with it, Danny is an idiot and it's getting on my nerves already.

Very slightly, the show usually just stays consistently average, with like one actually decent episode imo, but then it just tanks all over again with that shitty finale.

Not really a hot take imo lol

Y'all say that as if that's supposed to be impressive. Neither Jessica Jones nor Luke Cage focus on martial arts, so yea, I damn sure would hope Iron Fist would be better in that regard. Fortunately, both of those shows still had themes and what not that could hook the viewers in despite that. Whereas Iron Fist didn't exactly have great fight scenes, which makes it all the more difficult to get through the mediocre writing and dialogue.
The fight scenes after ep 5 are really good imho

3 episodes in.
This show is all over the place. I'm kind of baffled by the ways it's bad.
It jumps around, the characters are consistently inconsistent, good ideas seem wasted, the fights are.. fine but not exciting.

It's strange that this is under the Netflix Marvel label. Not perfect shows, but generally far better execution and style to them.

People are going in on this show so hard lol. Thus far, it hasn't reached the lows of any of the other Marvel shows. It's just good, consistently. It also doesn't reach the highs, but if you're just looking for a cool show to watch, this fits the bill IMO. People are kinda reaching, and giving it way more scrutiny than any of the other Marvel shows.

So far, Iron Fist seems to lack a hard theme like the other series, still really like it.

Daredevil did heroes and morality. Matt struggling with his religion and his ability to kill criminals and if he should allow them to survive. They doubled down in season two when he is confronted with Frank.

Jessica Jones did heroes and personal relationships. How JJ was in this fucked up abusive relationship with a villain who controlled her. How that abuse affected her relationships with other people in her life after it over. Major substance abuse issues. People in a support groups effected by a villain.

Luke Cage showed heroes and social issue and society. Fear of a bullet proof black man. Popular culture (Method man writing a song and those cool bullet proof hoodies pissing of cops). Also showing how it impacted Harlem and small community differently than the previous series.

I've had issues moment to moment with the series but I think they's done well with their themes.

I'm 6 eps in and I would guess maybe it's a theme about the personal toll of gaining power or hero status. Danny is clearly traumatized by the death of his parents still and shows some serious PTSD from his training. 15 years of soul shattered single focus and training. Lots of questions about why he wanted to be Iron fist and if he did it for no real reason. It kind of screwed him up and I really like it so far.

The theme hasn't driven the show, it's just shown in Danny reasonably well in most of his scenes.

Maybe purpose? That's my guess.

What better way is there to set up a villain than to show him as a kid throwing a tantrum over a game of monopoly? Also, he tells you the viewer his dad is a bigger dick than he is, so it counts as good character development for two villains!
.......Yeah it obviously didn't bother me as much as it bothered you and others. Ward has been a little shit since his teens, it shows in his adult self and business character, I don't get why it has to be some profound thing. I wouldn't even call Ward a villian.

Vic_Viper

Danny: Hey there, Im Danny Rand and I'm from Kun Loon.

Random Guy on the street: Oh yea, wheres that?

Danny: Its in another Dimension and im the Iron Fist ;)

No wonder this guy doesnt get a costume. I mean wtf were the writers thinking with this shit.

Dysun

I was expecting a trainwreck, but it's not. Mediocre on alot of levels, but the action is better than JJ/LC as it should be. Not up to DD, which they can rectify in the Defenders hopefully.

Finn Jones is a weird case, sometimes he seems fine in the role and other times his delivery is awful. Not sure what to make of him or the show really.

No strong opinions either way gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yes that one. It was so cartoonish in its execution that I just was taken aback.

Same. I mentioned this before but it lacked even the faintest amount of subtly. And then it just keeps going. We get like 3 examples of Ward being a dick in that very short scene, when 1 will do. It's not even something that needs to be established in a flashback because Danny mentions other instances in the present day narrative. We didn't need to see those to believe Danny was telling the truth about them. It's writing straight out of a kid's show. Where points are very obvious and repeated to make sure the audience isn't lost.

And that's sorta an ongoing issue with the show. Characters audibly tell us their thoughts instead of their actions and expressions letting us know. That lack of subtly is completely at odds with this being a grounded and mature hero story. And it's trying so hard to be grounded and mature. I like plenty of dumb shows, but there's nothing worse than a dumb show that thinks it has something to say.

Kusagari

I just finished episode 1 and this is all I can think of. I can already tell every character in this show is going to be a complete moron.

Pachimari

I hope this get a Season 2, a new director, fight choreographers, a new writer and a little budget hike. I'm cool with Luke Cage and know they have a huge history together in the comics but I'm not sure if I am ready for that team up yet.

Same. I mentioned this before but it lacked even the faintest amount of subtly. And then it just keeps going. We get like 3 examples of Ward being a dick in that very short scene, when 1 will do. It's not even something that needs to be established in a flashback because Danny mentions other instances in the present day narrative. We didn't need to see those to believe Danny was telling the truth about them. It's writing straight out of a kid's show. Where points are very obvious and repeated to make sure the audience isn't lost.

And that's sorta an ongoing issue with the show. Characters audibly tell us their thoughts instead of their actions and expressions letting us know. That lack of subtly is completely at odds with this being a grounded and mature hero story. And it's trying so hard to be grounded and mature. I like plenty of dumb shows, but there's nothing worse than a dumb show that thinks it has something to say.

So I'm watching the plane crash sequence and the "we got you Danny" part is bothering me because it makes no sense. And yes I'm aware that rational thought is thrown out the window when you're about to be in a plane crash but what did she even mean by "we got you Danny?"

I like the show in a "so bad its good" kinda way.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm in the fourth episode, and goddamn the writing is all over the place. Ward and Joy are terrible actors, and I wish Danny could keep his head still for 2 second during a dialogue.

The fight choreography ranges from mediocre to bad, at some spots you can see one actor waiting for the other to connect. Really a step down from Daredevil and even Luke Cage. You'd expect more from a show centered around a Kung Fu legend.

Right now, I'm just in it for the connection with The Defenders and it makes for a fun pasttime while I'm sick, but so far, it's the weakest of the Marvel Netflix Universe IMHO.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
This whole bullshit about "Is he Danny is he not Danny" during the first few episodes nearly had me at fuck this shit peace out!!! It did not need to take that long to resolve.

Ten episodes in, the plot is engaging enough to hold my interest and I want to know what will happen next. I can't say the same for the other Netflix shows which seemed to fizzle out much sooner plotwise. DD season 2 wrapped up the main part of the plot by episode 6, Luke Cage by episode 8, Jessica Jones by episode 9 I think. I feel that Iron Fist spreads its main plot points better over the season.

7 episodes in and I gotta say this show's biggest flop is that it's a worse version of all the other Netflix shows. All of it's plot beats, character motivations and even main villains are pulled from the other marvel netflix shows. Right down to the
heel turn family murder
from Luke Cage in the same numbered episode in the season no less.

It's a Frankenstein of Daredevil and Like cage mashed together. With some corporate stuff that to this point in the series hasn't mattered at all.

Top Bottom