• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Some of these fights in the first couple of episodes I've seen seem comically slow. And the plot is a bit.... Soap opera? For my tastes. I mean shit, the Meachams are just comically money evil.

Hopefully this gets better but I can't believd I'm enjoying a show less than Jessica Jones

RedAssedApe

Banned
danny rand seems like the "dan" from street fighter of this universe. like he got trained in martial arts for 15 years by someone who was really really average/bad at martial arts.

and everyone just thinks he's a joke... "you're the iron fist?"

Jake2by4

Yes it does. I even laughed because I thought to myself "oh its the obligatory sex scene just like the obligatory hallway fight scene"

Sure but
so was Daredevil no? Its JJ and Luke that got more raunchy
I honestly can't remember who Matt had sex with in DD s1 and If he even did.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I Honesty can't remember who Matt had sex with in DD s1 and If he even did.

Claire
who else.

Why am I spoiler tagging a 3 year show :(

danny rand seems like the "dan" from street fighter of this universe. like he got trained in martial arts for 15 years by someone who was really really average/bad at martial arts.

and everyone just thinks he's a joke... "you're the iron fist?"

Thats actually not far from the comics you know.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Claire
who else.

Why am I spoiler tagging a 3 year show :(

Thats actually not far from the comics you know.

I didn't know. I literally went into this show not knowing much about the character. So I wasn't entirely sure how strong he's actually supposed to be in the comic version as opposed to the show simply not doing a good job with the fights which makes him look weaker than he actually is.

C4Lukins

5 episodes in and I really like it. The fight scenes have been lame, but I really like most of the characters and it is surprisingly funny. Much better then Luke Cage at least.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't. I literally went into this show not knowing much about the character. So I wasn't entirely sure how strong he's actually supposed to be in the comic version as opposed to the show simply not doing a good job with the fights which makes him look weaker than he actually is.

Hes very nerfed compared to the comics, as usual, but he's actually a bit of a fuck up that gets his ass kicked a lot in the comics. Which is why people that knew the comics always thought the "white saviour" trope beung attached to it was weird cause Danny cant save shit lol. The show, maybe unintentionally because its poorly made, actually is kinda accurate in that regard haha.

For example I laughed when
Davos
said
"you're the worse IF ever"
because im pretty sure hes been told that in the comics at least once :3

caliph95

All comic characters are nerfed in the Immortal Iron fist he basically takes the guys he fight in the show in one fight by himself. TV Danny just underwhelming even by Danny's standard, it's hard to buy he is supposed to be one of the best fighters in K'un Lun where even some random bodyguards gives him a bit of trouble

You guys think this show will get a Season 2 or naw? I kept watching it, and I honestly thought it had a lot of potential, but it just failed to deliver. With a better showrunner, script, and if it isn't so rushed, I really think Season 2 could be a huge improvement.

It's a much lighter and straightforward show than LC or JJ, so I think it'll probably have a solid audience despite not being great.

So, yeah, S2 incoming.

Luckily, with Buck on Inhumans, they may find a showrunner with a solid vision for the entire thing.

Sanctuary

Do you like boys giving sheepish "I'm getting laid" grins and then quick cutaways to people in bed the morning after?

Err, weren't they
on the plane, and the sheepish grin happened when Claire asked about it? They then showed Colleen on a couch, relaxing to whatever she was listening to.

Rhaknar

Err, weren't they
on the plane, and the sheepish grin happened when Claire asked about it? They then showed Colleen on a couch, relaxing to whatever she was listening to.

Yes. But there was also a
sex scene where Danny even asks "can I" like Colleen was the virgin and not him

Renpatsu

Whether by foresight or ineptitude if they do a season 2 of Iron Fist they have the freedom to flesh out Danny's time at the monastery with much more depth and retroactively comment upon Danny's relative inexperience by virtue of simply not showing the audience what he's gone through since he's been gone.

Honestly, I just finished episode 10 and I'm here to offer praise. The fight scenes pick up, and the quality hasn't dropped at all. That's crazy for me considering how the other (non-Daredevil) Marvel shows were.

I think it's honestly very good.

Maybe the difference here is that I have no idea what the endgame is, whereas JJ and LC sort of let you know from the start, and so you're kinda yanked around until the end.

DD S1 also had an obvious endgame, but to compensate it had to slow down a little before picking back up at the end.

IDK - I like Iron Fist a lot.

Fnord

Just started episode 7. I get the complaints about the seeming lack of power by Danny. But I also understand that he can't really be a complete wrecking machine - for story purposes. If he walks into every fight and just dispatches everyone in the room without the least bit of effort, there's zero tension. And, to be fair, he actually has done that in a couple of scenes (early on, with bodyguard-level thugs).

So far, it's been entertaining enough. My biggest single gripe thus far is that they keep tapping the "we can't call the police because..." trope. It never works. Ever. And using over and over is just lazy. Hell, using it once is lazy. It also starts off with the nearly equally terrible trope of, "Just let me expla..." "NO! There will be no speaking so that we might actually understand what's going on, we will assume what we're going to assume and take action!" despite there being no need to rush thing. Hate that.

Rooster12

Is the hand in the comics? Is there like a graphics novel that captures all stories involving them?

Elektra_The_Hand_Vol_1_3.jpg

Elektra: The Hand is about its politics and origins.

It sucks

Just started episode 7. I get the complaints about the seeming lack of power by Danny. But I also understand that he can't really be a complete wrecking machine - for story purposes. If he walks into every fight and just dispatches everyone in the room without the least bit of effort, there's zero tension. And, to be fair, he actually has done that in a couple of scenes (early on, with bodyguard-level thugs).

So far, it's been entertaining enough. My biggest single gripe thus far is that they keep tapping the "we can't call the police because..." trope. It never works. Ever. And using over and over is just lazy. Hell, using it once is lazy. It also starts off with the nearly equally terrible trope of, "Just let me expla..." "NO! There will be no speaking so that we might actually understand what's going on, we will assume what we're going to assume and take action!" despite there being no need to rush thing. Hate that.

Lol, I understand the police situation. In every Marvel show, the villains are connected as hell. Police can't do shit in superhero fiction lol. But they should stop bringing it up in the first place.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
"You're a woman"

"Iiiiii ammm indeeed. Does that make youuuuu....uneasyyyyy"

"No."

giggles "It doesss, I sense your fear"

"No you don't. I fear no one."

"We don't have to fight. Why don't youuuu, kisss meee instead...."

How did Finn Jones not literally die of embarrassment in this scene?

18vV7GR.gif

I'm done.

caliph95

Seriously why is the fact the Bride is a woman a surprise do they have no women martial artists in Kun Lun, Can't be that because he wasn't surprised by women martial artists anywhere else. Also why introduce the Bride if all you are going to do is keep the look and nothing else.

EYEL1NER

I just finished the first episode and I didn't think it was that bad. I do think it was the worst first episode out of the four shows though. The fights did feel slow and like there was no weight to any of the moves/hits. The leap over the cab looked horrible too. I don't mind Finn as Danny, but I don't have too much experience with Iron Fist anyway, so my opinion can't count too much there. I've only read the first Fraction/Aja Immortal Iron Fist omnibus, which I only bought because I loved their Hawkguy stories. I did like it though and plan to continue that series one of these days. I know the origin story is different in this show and I don't like what I've read about how they are handling the mysticism and K'un-Lun but I'll keep going and see how it turns out. I do like how clueless Danny seems to everything so far, how just plain dumb he seems. I mean, the accident happened when he was 10 and he just returned to the real world? Of course he's going to be confused as hell about a lot.

I will say this though, the opening/intro is the worst out of all four shows. It's all black and gray, with very very short flashes of yellow sparks. I get that yellow featured heavily in the intro to Luke Cage, but they couldn't work some more of it into this? Or maybe some green? I don't know, black isn't the color I associate with Iron Fist. But look at the purples of Jessica Jones's intro, or the blood red of Daredevil, and those worked perfectly.

Sanctuary

I will say this though, the opening/intro is the worst out of all four shows. It's all black and gray, with very very short flashes of yellow sparks. I get that yellow featured heavily in the intro to Luke Cage, but they couldn't work some more of it into this? Or maybe some green? I don't know, black isn't the color I associate with Iron Fist. But look at the purples of Jessica Jones's intro, or the blood red of Daredevil, and those worked perfectly.

Couldn't stop from thinking about this every time I saw it.

Pachimari

Isn't the intro already dark green though? I think it fits well. Could have been a tad lighter green.

C4Lukins

The police thing is sort of a double edged sword, same with people needing medical treatment in these shows. The police cannot really do anything against these superpowered criminals, and the superheros cannot go to hospitals and maintain their secret identities. Yet the shows need to acknowledge that hospitals and cops exist in the universe to keep it somewhat believable. I am not sure how you write around that in an intelligent way. They try to do it in various ways by stating The Hand is everywhere or there is corruption throughout the city, or we need to keep this on the down low to protect our multi billion dollar company, but I am not sure how you can avoid such tropes and still make the universe somewhat believable.

EYEL1NER

Isn't the intro already dark green though? I think it fits well. Could have been a tad lighter green.
It didn't look it on my TV, but it's also 4AM here and my eyes are watery af from allergy medicine, so maybe I didn't notice. I'll pay more attention next time I see it.

z4chc3na

As someone who has only read Immortal Iron Fist but absolutely loved it, I really wish this show showed more of K'un-Lun. Still enjoying the show so far, just finished episode 11.

C4Lukins

Are there any gratuitous sex scenes like in all the other Defenders shows?

Not through episode 7 at least. Outside of a few very violent scenes, the show could almost be PG. The one sex scene I can recall was super mild. No nudity, and I cannot recall any cursing. There is actually a line that should have used fuck and they used something like fowl instead.

Pandacon

Just finished watching. I really enjoyed it, I would put it above Luke Cage, maybe Jessica Jones, in some parts, it was more consistent than JJ I think.

Don't get me wrong though, I've been enjoying all the Defender shows.

Pachimari

Finished Episode 5. I really love when it's about the company, and what's going on with all of these organization. I'm really enjoying it, more so than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I'm seriously surprised. The worst thing has been the fights but it's bearable. And I'm loving Danny Rand, and kind of liking Ward and Joy in their own way too. But
Madame Gao
is one violent lady. I love it.

Might have helped to have the cgi man doing sweet moves have Danny's curly hair instead of looking a bit like Harold.
But it's the same with Daredevil. I'm his intro the Daredevil resembles the one from the comics and not the one from the show. The same can be said here.

Rhaknar

Ep13, my feelings havent changed, its not good or bad, it...exists.

Little things annoy me tho, well a lot of things, but even if you dont go deep on changes, even if it was the exact same show, just off the top of my mind:

- you dont want a costume, fine. But at least every time Danny fights, have him take off his damn shirt. Pants and his tattoo showing is all you need to make him look special and not just some...dude.

36190303iron-fist-1447891788608_1280w.jpg

-
Davos
is horribly miscast, and I like the actor. But everytime Danny towers over him (and Finn is a scrawny guy) it looks ridiculous. I dont care about his race or ethnicity, but he should be the one towering over Danny, he should look imposing, he should sound imposing.

- Give Danny a fucking hair cut and a shave, jesus christ. What, are they afraid people will mistake him for Matt Murdock if he does or something?

Like I said, its just these little things that dont even go into the Buck problem that would make the show better without changing anything from the show structurely (and the show needed a lot of changes mind you, but im not even gonna go there right now cause I need to sleep lol).

I get that. My answer is that I hope it doesn't cuz it was really bad.
Super hyperbole.
I believe bad word of mouth influenced a lot of people's minds in this thread. We had a 3 month lead up to this thread of people like slayven telling us that Danny gets his ass kicked a lot, he is not as good as he is supposed to be whatever whateveretc etc and then when that's what we are given, people are like "he sucks", well yeah no shit, dude is still Danny Rand, he has the power of the iron fist
but has yet to actually fully give into it. As shown when he refuses to kill the hand during the first challenge and refuses to strike down gao....When he doesn't even know he can heal colleen
Thats his character and he portrays it well. The next show will probably be him and Luke Cage together. If anything, that will make Luke Cage a lot more exciting to more people. Just call it "Heroes for Hire"
Are there any gratuitous sex scenes like in all the other Defenders shows?
Not really, pretty sure he is a virgin still when he comes home to NY.

Pachimari

Goddamn, somebody recommend me a comic book with both Luke Cage and Iron Fist I need it. I need to see their dynamic for myself. So I'll buy it right away, but I need a recommendation. Because I like Iron Fist alone and for him to have his own seasons as it is now.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
-
Davos
is horribly miscast, and I like the actor. But everytime Danny towers over him (and Finn is a scrawny guy) it looks ridiculous. I dont care about his race or ethnicity, but he should be the one towering over Danny, he should look imposing, he should sound imposing.
Interesting cause I thought he was one of the actors that owned and it was even more apparent given that most of his scenes where with Danny. Guy kind of gave of a strong intensity which did communicate his conflicted nature very well.
But then I'm not familiar with the comics and have no preconceptions which I think are absolutely fair to have because I wouldn't like it either if something strays from the core idea behind a character.

Rhaknar

Goddamn, somebody recommend me a comic book with both Luke Cage and Iron Fist I need it. I need to see their dynamic for myself. So I'll buy it right away, but I need a recommendation. Because I like Iron Fist alone and for him to have his own seasons as it is now.

The recent Power Man and Iron Fist comic was great at least the first few issues I read.

power-man-and-iron-fist-2016-001-008.jpg

I don't get why a show needs to be great for a second season. Look at Arrow, that show is not great at all other than season 2 and continues to get new seasons.

Top Bottom