• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

caliph95

Up till Episode 6 the show has been better than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Does the last half of the show make it worse?
See i don't even agree with that it has the weakest start of any of the shows. The second gets for me slightly better for a while then shits itself at the end. Second half is still weak to me

TheYanger

Up till Episode 6 the show has been better than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Does the last half of the show make it worse?

I can't even fathom holding this opinion. Say what you want about JJ or Luke Cage, but by episode 6 THINGS HAD HAPPENED. More things happened in the first 2 episodes of JJ than happen in the entire series of IF. Purple Man alone justified that series more than all of IF combined.

Pachimari

I can't even fathom holding this opinion. Say what you want about JJ or Luke Cage, but by episode 6 THINGS HAD HAPPENED. More things happened in the first 2 episodes of JJ than happen in the entire series of IF. Purple Man alone justified that series more than all of IF combined.
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are good shows, where one has pacing problems and some clumsiness, and where the other shits the bed in the second half. I'm kind of comparing what I've seen of Iron Fist so far with their entire seasons. I think Iron Fist has been better paced and it hasn't gone off the rails yet. Iron Fist is enjoyable and easily digestible where as the other two shows could be a drag and hard to get through.

Mahershala Ali was king though. And so was David Tennant.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And done.

latest

Hope season 2 is a lot better. You are cray cray if you think it won't get a season 2 just because our little internet bubble thinks its bad. Hell when I got back to the main menu on netflix I noticed it had 5 stars (or close enough) so lol on that.

Bring on Defenders then.

I don't get why a show needs to be great for a second season. Look at Arrow, that show is not great at all other than season 2 and continues to get new seasons.

As horrendous as Arrow S3 was it was at least attempting to do cool shit at times(and the ratings were at their highest)
tumblr_nge120eLOx1sjxzs0o7_400.gif

5036444-6779565974-tumbl.gif

S5 is better than its ever been.

Renpatsu

Netflix ratings are based around your own overall tastes. It was initially five for myself, but after watching the season I dropped that down to where I thought it more appropriate.

Also speaking of Arrow its use of flashback in the initial season is a good example of how it contextualises his abilities in the present. DD and LC also devote episodes set in the past to much of the same effect.

rackham

Banned
My biggest issue with the show- besides how boring it was- was the relationship between Danny and his girl (don't want to spoil)

It was basically a "Hey, you're cute and fight." "hey, yeah you too." "so we're together now?" "duh"

I really liked Colleen's character. She felt more fleshed out than Danny Rand. Ward was a good character too.

Really stupid overall plot though. Danny is a naive shitlord.

MANGOD

Banned
There is something that bothers me about all the marvel shows on netflix and its not even story related. What the fuck is with the fake added grain they put on all off the shows?! Am I the only one that sees this? Look at any skin tone and its like a thousand ants running about. The noise in the picture is just way ot and I cant help but see it. Its can be 4k hdr all it likes but to me it just ruins the picture

My biggest issue with the show- besides how boring it was- was the relationship between Danny and his girl (don't want to spoil)

It was basically a "Hey, you're cute and fight." "hey, yeah you too." "so we're together now?" "duh"

I really liked Colleen's character. She felt more fleshed out than Danny Rand. Ward was a good character too.

Really stupid overall plot though. Danny is a naive shitlord.

Colleen is easily the best part of the show.

There is something that bothers me about all the marvel shows on netflix and its not even story related. What the fuck is with the fake added grain they put on all off the shows?! Am I the only one that sees this? Look at any skin tone and its like a thousand ants running about. The noise in the picture is just way ot and I cant help but see it. Its can be 4k hdr all it likes but to me it just ruins the picture

Yeah the skin tones/complexion is really off.

Harold looks like a burn victim.
Joy looks like she had a bad time with acne during her teenage years
Ward looks 50 (and a ringer for Bill Maher)

I'm pretty sure that none of the above would be true if you met them irl.

Just finished it. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't that enjoyable either. My least favourite Marvel Netflix show. There were small hints of potential, but they were never capitalized on.

The dialogue and the directing were the biggest faults. I don't think Finn is a good fit for Danny either, but he was saddled with some really awful lines. If/when S2 happens, I think it needs someone new at the helm, as the overall creative direction of the show was lacking.

Anyway, still excited for The Defenders and The Punisher.

Sanctuary

It didn't look it on my TV, but it's also 4AM here and my eyes are watery af from allergy medicine, so maybe I didn't notice. I'll pay more attention next time I see it.

It's not green most of the time. It shifts from a dark teal + gray background to essentially an extremely short shot of the city in the background that goes from the previous colors to a dark green and then back to dark teal + gray.

Ward looks 50 (and a ringer for Bill Maher)

LOL. He was 35 when they filmed this, playing a 30 year old, but I said he looked closer to his mid 40s. 50 though? He just looked super strung out to me.

Anyway, this is still the best martial arts action from the US in a while. Unless Matrix/Hero fu from Into the Badlands counts. Daredevil is good and all, but this is the kind of shit we should have seen in Iron Fist.

4702601-yveapw1.gif

undisputed-2-o.gif

And someone earlier in the thread said something about not hiring a B list actor for this kind of show...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Disagree strongly. Luke Cage and JJ actually put care into establishing strong driving motivation for both. Danny is really wishy washy during the whole show.
This was actually one of my main criticism during my binging that 6 episodes in Danny's main driving motivations seemed so weak/obtuse and divorced from something you could sympathize with on a human level that they didn't really engage me in the character at all.
Now to I think it's the worst thing ever? No. Some stuff is enjoyable. But I've yet to read really concise and well reasoned argument that just doesn't boil down to "but I'm enjoying it" on what this show actually does better. Because I certainly don't see it at all.
Subjectivity and all but I feel like there are very clear things to point out in fights, dialog, acting, pacing and plot for Iron Fist that just don't seem to be on par at all.

kiguel182

Just started watching it. So far it does look more soap opera than the rest of the shows but it doesn't have the problem I had with Luke Cage where he was just too overpowered compared to its enemies.

Luke Cage had an awesome villain that seemed to never pose much of a threat, here it seems that isn't the case.

Also, I like Jessica Jones more than first season Daredevil so I'm not always in tune with people here.

This doesn't seem to have the artistic qualities and the talent in display in Luke Cage which is a bummer. Even if I never finished Luke Cage the quality of cinematography and acting seems way above this.

Is Darryl from the beginning episodes of Luke Cage?
I've yet to see my man Turk(on episode 10) would have loved to seen him as the guy running the
cage fights

Ohhhh shiiiiiiiiit
Colleen and all these other people are The Hand?!?!? Mind. Blown, this show is the best

Edit: double holy shit !!!
the dude who took over the hot dog truck is Davos!! "Wow you're the worst iron fist ever"

This show was a huge disappointment. Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist is one of my favourite series ever and to see the hotly anticipated show turn out like this... I'm miserable.

Nobody is charming or interesting, except Colleen and of course Claire. I do like how Ward turned out in the second half, but Joy and Howard were wastes of spaces. Worst of all Danny is completely miscast and uninteresting.

And who the hell cares about Rand company!

Bring back Jessica Jones.

Asbel

This show was a huge disappointment. Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist is one of my favourite series ever and to see the hotly anticipated show turn out like this... I'm miserable.

Nobody is charming or interesting, except Colleen and of course Claire. I do like how Ward turned out in the second half, but Joy and Howard were wastes of spaces. Worst of all Danny is completely miscast and uninteresting.

And who the hell cares about Rand company!

Bring back Jessica Jones.

Even Collen is weighed down by poor fight scenes and forced to be asian love interest to white male lead.

Having finished the series, I honestly think Buck is getting more blame for this than he deserves.

I don't doubt that he's a hack, and I'm certainly not optimistic about Inhumans. But a gritty, grounded, street-level Iron Fist series was always a bad idea, and while I can certainly envision a better version of the show he set out to make, I don't think I can envision a good one.

See, here's the thing. I think you could've had a series that's a) street level b) grounded and c) somewhat gritty without the massive issues that're weighing this thing down. With the other three Defenders series setting the benchmark tone, they could've done something a little lighter with this one while still keeping it grounded. The problems here (wildly inconsistent characterization, miserable fights) aren't structural.

Colleen is easily the best part of the show.

Colleen would've made a much much much better protag than Danny.

Much much much much much much much much better.

What is with all the "miserable fights" "horrible fight scenes" "omg the fights were so bad" comments through out the thread?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it? Could they be better? Possibly? I don't know, they don't give me pause though and make me be like "wow that fight could have been better"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people who watch this aren't going to sit there and say "wow the fighting is not on par"

Luke Cage had bad fight choreography that took you out the show, this does not. (Imo of course)

Sanctuary

After an interesting villain like Cottonmouth he was a real let down.

I really enjoy Mahershala Ali in most of the roles he plays, but I don't really get the love for his portrayal of Cottonmouth. His background was pretty good, but the actor just went over the top too much, and seemed to be trying way too hard to be a villain. He came off like someone from the 60s Batman TV series. Instead of playing a character, he ended up being a caricature.

Luke Cage had bad fight choreography that took you out the show, this does not. (Imo of course)

Luke Cage had the kind of fights you could expect from someone who seemingly had no real training, but was ridiculously strong. The fights were actually fine, aside from the Luke vs brother fight, which was just lame as hell. Iron Fist is a "living weapon" who's been doing nothing but training for fifteen years in the martial arts, yet can't even fight anywhere near as well as Daredevil, which he should technically be better than with one on one fights, but he's not. He's barely better than most of the thugs he goes against, which is pathetic. Besides that, the choreography in general is seriously lacking as is the framing. Daredevil was not just more brutal, it was more convincing, and that was their first attempt with this stuff too.

Each of the previous series excelled at something particular. This didn't really do anything particularly well. It starts off making you think it has the potential to improve, but then doesn't really go anywhere. Weak pacing, weak choreography, okay acting, but awful and cliched dialogue with tropes out the ass.

What is with all the "miserable fights" "horrible fight scenes" "omg the fights were so bad" comments through out the thread?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it? Could they be better? Possibly? I don't know, they don't give me pause though and make me be like "wow that fight could have been better"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people who watch this aren't going to sit there and say "wow the fighting is not on par"

Luke Cage had hilarious choreography. The whole point was defying usual conventions as he just bulldozes his way through problems. The Diamondback fight was the only conventional one in the show, and yes, that did suck, but most of the fights were incredible spectacles of Luke just not giving a fuck as a he tears guys down left and right.

Iron Fist's fights are just forgettable. They utterly lack impact, visually and audibly. They fucked up a hallway fight vs a bunch a triad-wielding mooks, man.

Iron Fist's fights are just forgettable. They utterly lack impact, visually and audibly. They fucked up a hallway fight vs a bunch a triad-wielding mooks, man.
You're talking about things the average Netflix viewer does not notice or care about though.
Hell I don't even notice what you're talking about after pointing it out.

So finished it, sat on it, let it stew for awhile and I gotta say, this show was bad, not horrible, but bad. Also definitely the weakest of the Marvel Netflix show by far. The weirdest thing about this show is that it seems to be making things up as it goes along, like a show that's in production while it's running, rather than having it's story planned out from the beginning.

Characters change motivations that don't make sense. The biggest being at the very end.
Joy listening to Davos when he says he has a plan to kill Danny, and she listens to him, why? She knows Danny is the most innocent person in all of this and the only one she wasn't angry at through most of the season. I know she hates Iron fist in the comic, but her heel turn in the last few minutes just doesn't add up at all. While were on that, why is Davos working for the hand now? WHY?!?!?!?! He has np reason to sympathize with them or listen to him, how did he go back to Ku'n Lun realize the place is fucked, fly back to new york and get on Madame Gao's side in such a short time. Hell, how does Madame Goa no he exists? I know she's immortal or some shit, but she never met him, never saw him and no one she knows would have told her about him. What the hell is going on in that scene?

Also it's really slow to start and the "climax" in this show had as much tension and as much buildup as the midpoints in the other Marvel Netflix shows. It tried to build to that, but it never earned it. Also Danny is an idiot, thought that needed to be said. The examples would be way too numerous to list. Atleast in the other shows it made sense. Jessica was in over her head and losing control, Luke was
literally dieing
and Matt was having his world unravel due to his
Secret Identity being found out,
Danny is just fucking stupid.

The show deviates too much from Iron Fists comics and the changes they make are for the worst. When Danny came back in his origin story he had a clear motivation and adopted a secret identity to fulfill that. In this he straight up admits
He has no idea what he's doing.
The show tries to Frankenstein itself back to the comic origin eventually and it just doesn't work. It's a shame because it should have a simple premise with promise, but they try so hard to make it different that they just end up with a mess.

Overall Like I said before, the worst of the Marvel Netflix shows and just a bad show overall. The defenders can right this, so I hope that works out. It should be simple now that we can pretty much assume
The Hand
are the villians for that show.

SDCowboy

Something about the main character is just irritating, to me. I don't know if it's the character I don't dig, or what. He just seems too dense, self righteous and just overall kind of goofy. *shrug*

See, here's the thing. I think you could've had a series that's a) street level b) grounded and c) somewhat gritty without the massive issues that're weighing this thing down. With the other three Defenders series setting the benchmark tone, they could've done something a little lighter with this one while still keeping it grounded. The problems here (wildly inconsistent characterization, miserable fights) aren't structural.

Colleen would've made a much much much better protag than Danny.

Much much much much much much much much better.

See, I think those issues are symptomatic of a general lack of creative vision for the material.

As I said, I'm sure they could have done a better job even with their shitty idea of an Iron Fist show that's more interested in drug dealers and corporate boardroom drama than supernatural kung fu battles, but I don't think Marvel would have had to settle for Buck if they hadn't saddled the show with such a stupid tonal remit.

See, I think those issues are symptomatic of a general lack of creative vision for the material.

As I said, I'm sure they could have done a better job even with their shitty idea of an Iron Fist show that's more interested in drug dealers and corporate boardroom drama than supernatural kung fu battles, but I don't think Marvel would have had to settle for Buck if they hadn't saddled the show with such a stupid tonal remit.

The corporate boardroom drama is absolutely dead weight, no argument there. Reversing that whole dynamic (Rand needs Danny back for something but he keep sneaking out to do kung-fu shit) would've been way more entertaining.

But again, I don't think that's a requirement of a "grounded" Iron Fist show. You could have absolutely merged the "street crime" focus with the "mystical kung fu" objective. Hell, the Hand are a gang of mystical kung-fu drug dealers. They could've easily done something with that. Have each episode revolve around Danny finding and fighting a single Hand underboss or something. Things escalate over the course of the season, they figure out what's happening towards the end and things come to a head. Boom.

I gotta say, the final shot of the series nicely embodies so much of what's wrong with its approach to the source material.

It's supposed to be a big deal that K'un Lun has disappeared, but this has zero impact because we've never actually seen the city and thus have no idea what Danny and Colleen should be seeing there.

The corporate boardroom drama is absolutely dead weight, no argument there. Reversing that whole dynamic (Rand needs Danny back for something but he keep sneaking out to do kung-fu shit) would've been way more entertaining.

But again, I don't think that's a requirement of a "grounded" Iron Fist show. You could have absolutely merged the "street crime" focus with the "mystical kung fu" objective. Hell, the Hand are a gang of mystical kung-fu drug dealers. They could've easily done something with that. Have each episode revolve around Danny finding and fighting a single Hand underboss or something. Things escalate over the course of the season, they figure out what's happening towards the end and things come to a head. Boom.

Given that
Danny never has an onscreen fight with a bona fide superpowered foe,
I'm not actually convinced that was an option.

Sanctuary

While were on that, why is
Davos working for the hand now? WHY?!?!?!?! He has np reason to sympathize with them or listen to him, how did he go back to Ku'n Lun realize the place is fucked, fly back to new york and get on Madame Gao's side in such a short time. Hell, how does Madame Goa no he exists? I know she's immortal or some shit, but she never met him, never saw him and no one she knows would have told her about him. What the hell is going on in that scene?

I think you're reading way too much into that scene. What I took from it was that
Davos, still furious that Danny ended their bromance, and envious that he's not the Iron Fist, for whatever reason decides Danny would be better off dead. I guess maybe if Danny is dead, he thinks the Iron Fist will transfer to him or something. Gao isn't there with them. It's like they don't even notice she's there, and she's eavesdropping. In fact, I think she's going to be the one to warn Danny of their plot.

shingi70

Banned
It's not green most of the time. It shifts from a dark teal + gray background to essentially an extremely short shot of the city in the background that goes from the previous colors to a dark green and then back to dark teal + gray.

LOL. He was 35 when they filmed this, playing a 30 year old, but I said he looked closer to his mid 40s. 50 though? He just looked super strung out to me.

Anyway, this is still the best martial arts action from the US in a while. Unless Matrix/Hero fu from Into the Badlands counts. Daredevil is good and all, but this is the kind of shit we should have seen in Iron Fist.

4702601-yveapw1.gif

undisputed-2-o.gif

And someone earlier in the thread said something about not hiring a B list actor for this kind of show...

Not really, with Iron fist they should have leaned heavy into the Hard fitting wire-fu being modern day Shaw brothers film in tone.

Not noticing something doesnt mean the flaws arent there.

At the very least, the fights in an Iron Fist show should have been comparable to Into The Badlands
Yeah but see here's the thing, Danny isn't even accepting of being the iron fist half the time in the show, yes he is the iron fist but it seems like a burden to him. I don't even see him as being at his max potential, so to have the fights looking like that (imo of course) would be unrealistic. Danny is the worst iron fist in the history of iron fist, he is not even deserving of that choreography. To me it's no different than the dare devil and Elektra vs the hand fights. He was never going to be that good.

For me, it should have been shot like an actual martial arts movie. Cool, crazy shit, constant fast blocks, parries, good fight movement, all of that stuff. Show Danny just DESTORYING regular dudes, and make it look cool, Here there were about 3 decent fight scenes in the entire show, maybe 4 if you stretch it. I never felt that Danny was a martial arts expert let alone master. Part of it has to do with the excessive use of cutting in the fights. It's like one cut tothrow the punch, one cut to land the punch, and one cut to show the guy flying away. It never feels connected. Compare it to the hallway fight in Daredevil and it's night and day. For a show about a Kung-Fu superhero it's borderline unforgivable as far as the action is concerned.

Top Bottom