• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that how you feel? Did you see it?

Sorry, no. I was just speaking generally. I had the chance to see it last week but decided to wait until its nation wide opening because I like to see these in a full theatre on a Friday night. I was just wondering if anyone else felt similar about the second half thing. They introduce the character and the themes so well but ironically, being comic book action movies, disappoint especially in the last act a.k.a boss fight scenes.

noah111

Still Alive
^
lol.gif

Dying here, 1:12 really got me.

duckroll

I don't remember a point where The Incredible Hulk or Iron Man 2 were excellent.

They were excellent in lowering my expectations a little for the next movies, so I enjoyed Thor and Captain America even more as a result! I still enjoyed them though. Fun movies. There are some pretty good action scenes in Iron Man 2!

jaxword

May I please ask for a list of the tie-in comics I need to read before watching The Avengers?

I haven't kept up with the movieverse comics, but I hear there's quite a few of them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
They were excellent in lowering my expectations a little for the next movies, so I enjoyed Thor and Captain America even more as a result! I still enjoyed them though. Fun movies. There are some pretty good action scenes in Iron Man 2!

Yeah :) They weren't cinematic masterpieces, but come on, they weren't that bad as people make them to be. Except for Norton Hulk, I pretty much had fun in all of them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my big concern is the final act. With Whedon at the helm, I have a good feeling about the chemistry between the heros, and the teasers/trailers bear that out I think. Personally this movie for me hinges more on that than the action. But we've only really seen one action sequence - that bloody street with the cars on - over and over again. I hope there is more than that, or that its epic and done really well.

duckroll

my big concern is the final act. With Whedon at the helm, I have a good feeling about the chemistry between the heros, and the teasers/trailers bear that out I think. Personally this movie for me hinges more on that than the action. But we've only really seen one action sequence - that bloody street with the cars on - over and over again. I hope there is more than that, or that its epic and done really well.

Would you honestly rather see the entire movie in the trailers? I wouldn't.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Is Samjack going to swear in this?

Probably not.

I can imagine him swearing his ass of on set like there's no tomorrow. We need those cuts in the BluRay. Menu option before the movie starts; "Tamed and caged SamJack OR Full-on Unleashed SamJack"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats with all the Whedon hate (generally, and in this thread)? Is it the idea that he's playful with ideas and situations, so for some that tips over into 'snarky' and disrespectful of beloved characters?

All I've ever seen of his stuff (not much, granted) has been enjoyable. Not taking things too seriously but not taking the piss either.

duckroll

whats with all the Whedon hate (generally, and in this thread)? Is it the idea that he's playful with ideas and situations, so for some that tips over into 'snarky' and disrespectful of beloved characters?

All I've ever seen of his stuff (not much, granted) has been enjoyable. Not taking things too seriously but not taking the piss either.

I can't speak for others, but I just don't like Whedon's directing and writing style. He's a very TV type of director in all the bad ways, and his writing and characters tend to be cheesy and targeted at teenagers. I didn't enjoy Buffy, Angel, or Firefly, and I never bothered watching Dollhouse. I don't hate him, I'm just not a fan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Would you honestly rather see the entire movie in the trailers? I wouldn't.

no, but given that trailers need to show some wham-bam to attract idiots, you'd think they'd show at least teases of other areas.

going to see it this Thursday in 2D. Looking forward to it - kicks off the summer season nicely

Got my tickets to see this on friday in 3D IMAX, awesome seats as well because odeon lets you choose them online. I am so glad to see this get good reviews, it was such an ambitious idea that it would have been sad to see it get lesser reviews. It looks like its going to raise the bar again, just hope The Dark Knight Rises delivers equally. It will be nice to see the new batman trailer on an IMAX screen as well.

Tobor

If that's your big concern, then you're in great shape.

I can't speak for others, but I just don't like Whedon's directing and writing style. He's a very TV type of director in all the bad ways, and his writing and characters tend to be cheesy and targeted at teenagers. I didn't enjoy Buffy, Angel, or Firefly, and I never bothered watching Dollhouse. I don't hate him, I'm just not a fan.

Which is funny because I am the complete opposite. Different strokes :)

Road

The only Rotten review seems bitter about that robot in the trailers looking too much like something from Transformers.
That single review (still the only rotten one) has 237 comments, while all the 26 positive ones combined have less than 100.

The Internet never disappoints.

LosDaddie

Banned
Weekend 3 of my Avengers preparation went great. Had another family over to watch Capt America, and they loved it. So far we've watched TIH>Thor>Capt America....might try to knock out IM2 this weekend, but we all have plans.

So....unless I find someone to go with me on Friday May 4th, I might have to see the movie by myself that night. But our group is all going on Saturday the 5th. I told my wife I can't wait for Sat, and must see it on Friday.

Weekend 3 of my Avengers preparation went great. Had another family over to watch Capt America, and they loved it. So far we've watched TI>Thor>Capt America....might try to knock out IM2 this weekend, but we all have plans.

So....unless I find someone to go with me on Friday May 4th, I might have to see the movie by myself that night. But our group is all going on Saturday the 5th. I told my wife I can't wait for the Sat, and must see it on Friday.

Reminds me of last summer. I saw First Class at midnight, then saw it again the next night.

I think I saw Thor and Cap three times each, if I'm not mistaken. Before anyone calls me insane, I see movies for free.

Weekend 3 of my Avengers preparation went great. Had another family over to watch Capt America, and they loved it. So far we've watched TI>Thor>Capt America....might try to knock out IM2 this weekend, but we all have plans.

So....unless I find someone to go with me on Friday May 4th, I might have to see the movie by myself that night. But our group is all going on Saturday the 5th. I told my wife I can't wait for the Sat, and must see it on Friday.

I have done Iron Man, TIH and Iron Man 2 so far. I'll probably get Thor and Cap done by the end of this week.

My midnight tickets for The Avengers are secured.

Can't fucking wait.

I'm waiting on the roommates and I to finish up with exams before we start our marathon.

Hoping to watch Iron Man maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm just the opposite, I actually like most of Whedon's work very much. I loved Buffy and Angel, but especially Firefly. If I had one wish from a genie in a bottle, it would be a toss up between world peace, a billion dollars, and to renew Firefly with the original cast and keep it going for at least seven seasons.

Joss has a real talent for writing ensemble casts without focusing too much on any one character. That's why I'm excited that he got Avengers, his style is perfect for it. He is like literally my number one pick for doing a movie like Avengers.

Nizz

I think you just summed up my feelings on Whedon. None of his stuff has ever appealed to me. Buffy, Angel, Firefly or Dollhouse. I don't hate on the guy because I'm honestly not too familiar with his work.

But from the clips/ads I've seen for Avengers, he seems like he's pulled off something pretty cool.

MechDX

That single review (still the only rotten one) has 237 comments, while all the 26 positive ones combined have less than 100.

The Internet never disappoints.

But when you read the review it is laughable especially when you look at what she rated higher than the Avengers:

Green Lantern
Green Hornet
Twilight
Watchmen

The Avengers trailers have been better than those movies..

She refers to Nick Fury as Nick Frost, makes negative comments because the crowd in the theater cheered when they finally get together to fight, complains about "no character development" yet all the heroes had their own movies or roles in those movies and since there is a giant robot in the movie its obviously Transformers 2.0.

LosDaddie

Banned
Reminds me of last summer. I saw First Class at midnight, then saw it again the next night.

I think I saw Thor and Cap three times each, if I'm not mistaken. Before anyone calls me insane, I see movies for free.

I have done Iron Man, TIH and Iron Man 2 so far. I'll probably get Thor and Cap done by the end of this week.

My midnight tickets for The Avengers are secured.

Can't fucking wait.

Nice! I'm going to buy our tickets sometime this week.

Well, it's here....time for a bet of some kind.

I'm still going with my guess that it won't make more than $250 at the BO, anyone care to counter bet?

Let's say the loser has to wear the avatar the winner chooses for a couple of months or has their tag changed if the mods are on board.

I'm still going with my guess that it won't make more than $250 at the BO, anyone care to counter bet?

Let's say the loser has to wear the avatar the winner chooses for a couple of months or has their tag changed if the mods are on board.
Domestic or worldwide?

Tobor

Moving the goalposts already. Lol.

Speedymanic said:
Won't break the $200m barrier in the US. Guaranteed. It might make its budget back from overseas markets, but the movie will be considered a pretty big flop when all is said and done.

I can feel it, there's something about and the trailers that doesn't sell epic, which is what the movie should be...hell, the animated series trailer feels more epic.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=32025039&postcount=40

Nesotenso

Its tracking to make 150 million plus opening weekend. hard to see it make only 100 million more the rest of the way.

Its tracking to make 150 million plus opening weekend. hard to see it make only 100 million more the rest of the way.

125m if I'm not mistaken. Still, it doesn't feel like a movie that will benefit from repeated viewings or a massive, loyal fanbase like THG. The 3D tax will help it make more than it otherwise would.

You can move the goal post to $300 million, it'll still make it.

We'll find out soon enough, but I'm sticking with my prediction.

125m if I'm not mistaken. Still, it doesn't feel like a movie that will benefit from repeated viewings or a massive, loyal fanbase like THG. The 3D tax will help it make more than it otherwise would.

We'll find out soon enough, but I'm sticking with my prediction.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/the-avengers-dark-knight-rises-box-office-312398

I think it'll pretty easily get to $250 and crawl to about $300 (give or take $10 million). Decent enough chance of becoming their biggest movie yet.

msv

Not a single showing in 2D here.... This sucks. How is the 3D, say compared to Immortals? I have only seen 2 movies in 3D yet, and it ruins the experience for me :/

I'm so excited to see this!

My brother in law and sister in law haven't seen Thor or Captain America-but they're going to see this-I can't convince them to watch Thor or Cap-even if I tell them that they setup this storyline, and Loki is from Thor....

3N16MA

Banned
Selective quoting, lol.

I mentioned both 200m and 250m. I'm still within the range I brought up last year. Changing it to 300m - 350m would have been moving the goal posts.

You're crazy to think it will only gross $200-$250 million. It will cross $200 million in 10 days.

mjc

I don't understand how THG (while it has a large base) could have a bigger fanbase than The Avengers. Its not even a comparable thing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom