• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Why even watch any of these super hero movies then? You know pretty much how all of them will end. :/

For the record, I loved the movie, and I loved that scene. It was done extremely well. I was just saying it's a shame that I had that nagging going on in my head reminding me about all the meta knowledge I had about the film franchise.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
For the record, I loved the movie, and I loved that scene. It was done extremely well. I was just saying it's a shame that I had that nagging going on in my head reminding me about all the meta knowledge I had about the film franchise.

Well, again, how can you like any Marvel/DC superhero movie? You know they're not killing Batman or Spider-Man.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Funnily enough I think killing off Phil actually hit pretty hard for me.

Tobor

It's true of any action movie, though. Do you ever think John McClane is going to die in a Die Hard movie?

The real reason that scene sucks was that everybody and their momma saw Hulk catching Iron Man in the trailer, so we all knew that was about to happen.

.GqueB.

Banned
That's one of my biggest problems with this movie and most superhero movies in general. There's literally zero risk involved for any of the characters, and it's incredibly predictable. But at the end of the day I suppose that's what most of the public wants? It's one of the reasons I think I'll enjoy TDKR more; I don't think Batman will be killed, but you never know with Nolan and his Batman universe. It will definitely be more tense. This movie was good if what you want is a well done, special effects driven action movie with some funny, lighthearted moments interwoven into it.

I know where everyone's coming from, I just feel like those really poignant scenes where someone is risking their life don't fully work when you know from a meta perspective that their is in fact no risk to what they're doing.

That's a problem with all movies is it not? You often know someone isn't in danger during a scene simply because something you saw in the trailer didn't happen yet. Or because they simply can't die yet because it's so early in the movie. What makes those moments powerful all depends on how invested you were with that character in the first place. Whether or not they can actually "die" doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Look at MGS4 and the crawl scene. I knew Snake wouldn't die in that hallway. I still gave a shit.

noah111

Still Alive
Sentry.

one of the strongest in the Marvel Universe.

He's a fucking problem, as evidenced by that comic sheet.
And don't you forget it.

We can enter into a polygamous marriage. :)

Only good thing in Civil War is Cap beating Iron Man's ass.

And to those clamoring for Civil War, ask yourself this: do you want a movie with RDJ playing a fascist, asshole Iron Man?
Do you have no imagination whatsoever? Obviously it wouldn't be a 1:1 adaptation, it would fit within the given universe, and by raising a legitimate 'real world' issue. The Council is an example of this.

Civil War sucks my buttocks. Terrible crossover. Terrible story. Terrible conclusion. Just awful.
Meh, I loved it all. Conclusion was great in 'The Confession', really beautiful issue that one, IMO. But to be fair, I read them all back to back, in reading order, alongside New Avengers and Front Line.

Totally worth it. Anyway, regardless of how shitty
you think
it was, doesn't mean it can't work well on screen if adapted properly.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's never about the potential death (because who WANTS to see them die?), it's about how the moment affects and changes them from then on. Iron Man 3 Tony is effectively a much less selfish person for what he did at the end of this movie.

Calcaneus

I liked it. And not like in the way that I like most of the Marvel made films, just enjoy watching it once and never come back to it. I could totally see myself enjoying this again on Blu-Ray.

I enjoyed the action in this more than normal, I could watch Hawkeye shoot aliens in the face for hours (and I did). I really liked that one shot where Cap and Thor both got their weapons at the same time and smacked some fools side by side. Seemed very superhero-y.

Ultimates. Very modern sensibilities, wonderful artwork, the Avengers film actually builds on some of it's ideas like Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury

That one collects #1-13, but they are smaller collections that split them up and probably ship faster.

Vol.1

Vol.2

There's also a sequel, Ultimates 2. Not as good as the first one, but still awesome, same creative team and builds on ideas from the first one.

Here ya go

And finally there's Ultimates 3, which is bad. REALLY bad. REALLY REALLY BAD. Stay far away.

so is "ultimate" just an alternate reality for the marvel universe? can any one universe be considered the definitive one? and i'm guessing the MCU just takes from wherever it feels necessary?

Ive never really been into reading comics, but ive read a lot of back stories on sites like wikipedia and marveldirectory.com

now that I have an iPad though i was thinking about getting some on the Marvel app, is Planet Hulk and World War Hulk worth the money?

duckroll

It's never about the potential death (because who WANTS to see them die?), it's about how the moment affects and changes them from then on. Iron Man 3 Tony is effectively a much less selfish person for what he did at the end of this movie.

Is he a less selfish person, or a more egoistic one? Part of me thinks he only did that because Cap talked down to him about never laying his life down for anyone, so he's not a hero. Lol.

duckroll

Sure. And "everybody" is wondering if Spider-Man is going to die in Amazing, too. Hey, new director. Anything could happen.

I dunno, I don't think that true. Everyone is wondering if Amazing Spider-man will suck as much balls as the trailers indicate though. That could happen!

apana

What was your biggest fanboy moment of the film? I know for most it was Thor and Loki but for me that part with the Iron Man suit flying down just made me want to jump up out of my seat and start running around the theater.

WanderingWind

You are unfamiliar with the theme that Nolan has been pushing with Batman since BB?

Are you unfamiliar with DC and the way they manage their characters? They're not killing off their biggest name on screen. I'll eat my Bat-shorts if this happens.

But hey, anything is possible. I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Home :D Some second-viewing thoughts:

-Holds up really, really well on second viewing. The slow start does stand out. Essentially the movie lights up with the helicarrier takes off and it's all gold from there.
-Hawkeye really is better than he has any right to be.
-Stunned at the active, enthusiastic crowd still around on a late Sunday showing. Applause at the Marvel logo at the begininng, many of the big character moments, huge laughs at "he's adopted," RDJ's quips, even Black Widow's "interrogation" of Loki. HULK SMASH LOKI, it would seem, is perhaps the most crowd-pleasing line in cinematic history. Even knowing it was coming and listening specifically for it, I still couldn't hear "puny god" over the cheers. Not surprised this is running away with the record.
-The long tracking shot through the city is a masterpiece of timing, spatial awareness, and clarity. Just so, so good.
-The Mark VII armor-equipping scene is one of the most compelling visual effects I've seen. Even as predictable it was, it's awesome all around.
-A remarkable amount of recognition and "Thanos..!!!!" murmurs; maybe he's more well-known than I thought.
-Every square inch of body language in the shawarma scene is pitch-perfect. Can't believe that scene was filmed three weeks ago.

nomis

Is he a less selfish person, or a more egoistic one? Part of me thinks he only did that because Cap talked down to him about never laying his life down for anyone, so he's not a hero. Lol.

Even if that's true, it's still a great character moment that he felt the need to prove Rogers wrong.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
What was your biggest fanboy moment of the film? I know for most it was Thor and Loki but for me that part with the Iron Man suit flying down just made me want to jump up out of my seat and start running around the theater.
Hulk crushing Loki tops everything for me, but outside of that, the moments where they were going at each other didn't fail to deliver the goods, even if the Thor - Iron Man fight was a bit more contrived that Thor -Hulk.

duckroll

There are individual moments I really loved.

- Thor's hammer hitting Cap's shield
- Hulk jumping out of the window and wrestling the fighter jet in mid-air
- Iron Man reflecting lasers off Cap's shield
- Hulk and Thor smashing aliens together while on the leviathan thing

apana

Are you unfamiliar with DC and the way they manage their characters? They're not killing off their biggest name on screen. I'll eat my Bat-shorts if this happens.

Nolan Batman is ending after this film, the next one will be a reboot regardless of whether or not he dies. I don't know what will happen but I think a lot of people who are fans are going in thinking it is at least a possibility.

Dany

Banned

I'd say the likelihood that WB giving carte blanche to Nolan is very high.

Hulk was the best part of this movie,
this movie would have sucked total ass if the Hulk was not in it.

I am in the camp that thinks that Widow and Hawkeye had too much screen time while we did not get enough Hulk

Smash!

Hulk slamming Loki like Bam Bam Rumble does

WanderingWind

I dunno, I don't think that true. Everyone is wondering if Amazing Spider-man will suck as much balls as the trailers indicate though. That could happen!

It does look pretty terrible. Pete looks like he stepped off the set of Twilight. They know he's supposed to be a gangly nerd, right?

Tobor

Why wouldn't it be a possibility?

This is the last film in Nolan's telling of Batman, they're going to reboot it after this --- Batman dying in this film is a legitimate possibility.

Isn't that the point though? He's only dead until the next movie. The character can never actually die.

Thanos. But I also nerded a little when the SHIELD helicarrier lifted off into the sky.

ReiGun

Cap rallying the team and giving out orders.

Cap stopping the fight btw IM and Thor.

Cap teaming with Iron Man for "da lasers".

Cap saving the people in that building.

Cap.

The helicarrier was cool too. :p

Sure. And "everybody" is wondering if Spider-Man is going to die in Amazing, too. Hey, new director. Anything could happen.

The fact that they are doing a reboot after TDKR hints strongly at either Bats dying or enough of his supporting cast dying that they need a reboot instead of a recasting.

WanderingWind

Nolan Batman is ending after this film, the next one will be a reboot regardless of whether or not he dies. I don't know what will happen but I think a lot of people who are fans are going in thinking it is at least a possibility.

A lot of fans have a lot of theories about everything. Doesn't make any of it valid. Come on, man. They're not killing Batman.

apana

Cap.

Really wanted to see Captain America meeting his old girlfriend again, they cut that part out of the film I think. :(

Dany

Banned
Not to get too OT in here but this is the last batman movie nolan is directing and Christian Bale is staring.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Civil War sucks my buttocks. Terrible crossover. Terrible story. Terrible conclusion. Just awful.

2007-06-20-ironman.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Cap.

The helicarrier was cool too. :p

I did like how they had Cap be the strategist in the final fight since otherwise he did feel a bit...weak compared to indestructible god, indestructible mutant, and the dude with the rocket suit. I love Cap, he's awesome, but his combat role was still basically engaging with individual enemies or small handfuls of them.

apana

A lot of fans have a lot of theories about everything. Doesn't make any of it valid. Come on, man. They're not killing Batman.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. He dies, we all feel sad, and then he shows up again for the next Batman film in a new incarnation.

Being this dense must take some work. 1. They are rebooting after TDKR. 2. Executives were reportedly upset with the ending 3. Batman sacrificing himself /making his legend "rise" is strongly hinted at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom