• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
so is "ultimate" just an alternate reality for the marvel universe? can any one universe be considered the definitive one? and i'm guessing the MCU just takes from wherever it feels necessary?
Yeah, there is the main universe referred to as Earth 616, which embodies everything from spidey to cap, continuous story from the 60s to modern day (comics wise). Ultimate comics are an alternate reality with different takes on everything, but the same underlying base. However, these two universes exist in the same.... well, universe. There are reference in rare issues with multi universe crossing of each other, for example in the Squadron Supreme Ult. issues, some of them seem to recall Cap and say 'we've met, you're the avengers' with Cap confused, telling him that they're the ultimates. I'm paraphrasing, so that may be off a bit but you get my point.

The movies serve as a free for all where there are elements being grabbed from both lines, as well as totally new stuff of course.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Being this dense must take some work. 1. They are rebooting after TDKR. 2. Executives were reportedly upset with the ending 3. Batman sacrificing himself /making his legend "rise" is strongly hinted at.

Yeah, you should probably stow the little personal digs. Unnecessary and impotent over the Internet. Find another way to voice your disagreement.

You think it's a possibility they're killing him off. I do not. Not that big a deal.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I enjoyed the second half of this movie far too much considering how by the numbers the first half was.

Probably the best super hero movie ever still. Batman who?

Lol at people thinking DC is going to let Nolan kill off, literally, the only successful character they've managed to insert into Hollywood in the last 10 years.

Also, "a reboot is in the works!" is the classic straw man theory to support something as ridiculous as Batman dying.

Worst case scenario will be Bruce hospitalized for a bit, someone else taking up the mantle, that person finally understand the sacrifices that need to be made to be Batman, Bruce suits up in the third act (against everyones wishes) to help said individual take Bane out.

Over zealous monologue follows, pseudo iconic Batman atop a building.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Should I check out the Hulk movie? I didn't hear much about it.

Actually, the only films I checked before this one were Iron Man 2, Thor, and lastly Captain America, which I hated.

Feep

Banned

Actually, the only films I checked before this one were Iron Man 2, Thor, and lastly Captain America, which I hated.
Nah. The only thing you need to know about Hulk is that he turns big and green when he gets mad.

apana

Lol at people thinking DC is going to let Nolan kill off, literally, the only successful character they've managed to insert into Hollywood in the last 10 years.

Also, "a reboot is in the works!" is the classic straw man theory to support something as ridiculous as Batman dying.

Worst case scenario will be Bruce hospitalized for a bit, someone else taking up the mantle, that person finally understand the sacrifices that need to be made to be Batman, Bruce suits up in the third act (against everyones wishes) to help said individual take Bane out.

Over zealous monologue follows, pseudo iconic Batman atop a building.

SMH, please stop. I'm not saying he will die but if that was part of Nolan's script it would happen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
...you haven't seen Iron Man 1? Its the best of the Marvel movies leading up to this
I'm not a comic book fan so I only catch stuff on a whim. I should check it out.

I loved Iron Man 2 though. I understand that is an unpopular opinion. :I
Nah. The only thing you need to know about Hulk is that he turns big and green when he gets mad.
Might be worth it if the self-belittling is as humorous as in this movie.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Look, if we had to suffer Hulk poodles and daddy clouds, so must he.

Go watch the first Hulk movie, Regulus. It'll change your life.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not a comic book fan so I only catch stuff on a whim. I should check it out.

You should. Iron Man 1 was what basically kicked off this spate of Marvel movies in the last few years and its because Iron Man 1 was so much better and more successful then anyone expected it to be.

duckroll

I know how our main topic in the Avengers thread is now about whether Batman might or might not die in TDKR. The streams are crossing again! :D

SMH, please stop. I'm not saying he will die but if that was part of Nolan's script it would happen.

No.

Like I said, DC would not allow their only successful film property in the last 10 years to have the main hero killed off.

I'm so glad you are not in charge of any important business decisions aside from "add another gallon of oil to the fryer, guys!" Your lack of common business sense is unbecoming.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You should. Iron Man 1 was what basically kicked off this spate of Marvel movies in the last few years and its because Iron Man 1 was so much better and more successful then anyone expected it to be.
It's on my Netflix queue now.

So is there any chance that Spider-Man will be on The Avengers 2? What about the X-Men?

Back to the Avengers!

I'm in the camp that wouldn't be too upset if we didn't get Ultron as a villain and had Stark/Banner turn Coulson into Vision.

Fry

If you want to see one of the Hulk movies, see Ang Lee's. Don't expect anything great, at all, but you might like it. The Incredible Hulk is horrible.

See Iron Man, definitely. Did you enjoy Thor?

I just can't understand why people don't think DC wouldn't let Nolan kill off Batman when they're going to have to reboot after this anyways, nor can I understand why people think that Nolan isn't given carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants.

duckroll

I just can't understand why people don't think DC wouldn't let Nolan kill of Batman when they're going to have to reboot after this anyways, nor can I understand why people think that Nolan isn't given carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants.

But what does it have to do with Avengers?

So is there any chance that Spider-Man will be on The Avengers 2? What about the X-Men?

X-Men? Absolutely no chance. Thankfully so.

Spider-Man? There's a decent sized group of basement dwellers that think if ASM flops Marvel will try to work out a deal with Sony to use him. Sony is hurting right now and I don't believe they can afford a flop of this magnitude considering the budget and marketing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If you want to see one of the Hulk movies, see Ang Lee's. Don't expect anything great, at all, but you might like it. The Incredible Hulk is horrible.

See Iron Man, definitely. Did you enjoy Thor?
Thor was my favourite super hero movie before this one.
X-Men? Absolutely no chance. Thankfully so.

Spider-Man? There's a decent sized group of basement dwellers that think if ASM flops Marvel will try to work out a deal with Sony to use him. Sony is hurting right now and I don't believe they can afford a flop of this magnitude considering the budget and marketing.
Aww bummer. The banter between Peter Parker and Tony Stark would surely be the best.

I just can't understand why people don't think DC wouldn't let Nolan kill off Batman when they're going to have to reboot after this anyways, nor can I understand why people think that Nolan isn't given carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants.

I just can't understand why you think DC just gave Nolan free reign to do whatever he wants with their ONLY successful movie property.

Asbel

Friend asked me about Hawkeye, Widow and Thanos and it hit me that Iron Man was responsible for their movie existence and first appearance in comics.

apana

No.

Like I said, DC would not allow their only successful film property in the last 10 years to have the main hero killed off.

I'm so glad you are not in charge of any important business decisions aside from "add another gallon of oil to the fryer, guys!" Your lack of common business sense is unbecoming.

a1ZES.gif

You are wrong and by the way you can discuss something without acting like a clown.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Seriously. I also enjoyed IM2 a lot more then most people seemed to (I feel that it was ultimately a stronger movie then the first, but the first is still better thanks to one of the single best depictions of a superhero origin story I've seen on film) and I have high hopes that IM3 will be good enough for me to declare the trilogy as a whole basically my favorite superhero movies.

No.

Killing off Batman, at the end of a strict three film saga, is not a bad business decision. It is what it is. I am rooting for Batman to die just to spite idiotic notions like yours.

I just can't understand why you think DC just gave Nolan free reign to do whatever he wants with their ONLY successful movie property.

When you are rebooting a franchise, and have such a highly successful director as Nolan, free reign is a given.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Why the fuck are there possible TDKR spoilers being thrown around in this thread?

I did not come in for this.

What say you, Gaf? Is it better in 2D? I generally don't like 3D as I wear quite big frames and the 6 eyes situation is all a bit irksome.

I'm definitely keen to see it again; I think I'm enjoying more just thinking about it retrospectively.

noah111

Still Alive
Newsflash: this is how TDKR will end (spoilers).

Golden. The fan art coming out of this is amazing. Anyone have a tumblr purely for this stuff?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What say you, Gaf? Is it better in 2D? I generally don't like 3D as I wear quite big frames and the 6 eyes situation is all a bit irksome.

I'm definitely keen to see it again; I think I'm enjoying more just thinking about it retrospectively.
I'm glad I saw both- definitely recommend 2D for second viewing.

IMAX sans 3D would absolutely have been best, but it wasn't an option. 2D made it easier to focus on the parts of the action I wanted to, knowing what was coming. 3D draws your eyes to areas of the screen subconsciously with perspective.

Killing off Batman, at the end of a strict three film saga, is not a bad business decision. It is what it is. I am rooting for Batman to die just to spite idiotic notions like yours.

How many individuals do you think troll the Internet looking up Christoper Nolan & Christian Bale's respective contracts that state they're signed on for 3 films?

You're looking at it as a fan of the source material and/or director. I completely agree that it'd be great if Nolan killed off Bruce. It's just unrealistic. DC has had too many box office flops (Returns, Lantern).

DC is a business and they're in this to maximize profits. As much as you or I would like Batman to die, Average Joe and family would hate that notion.

How do you explain to the majority, that, he's only dead for this specific trilogy and they're approaching a reboot in a few years?

There are still individuals out there that don't know Tobey is not Spider-Man anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom