• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rewatch of the Blu Ray just reiterated how horrible Cap's costume is in this. A redesign has to be priority number 1 for CA2 and A2, right?

Action scenes were much better on BluRay than theater 3D though, so that was a plus.

His costume is awesome, it's just the helmet that needs to change.

Something else I noticed while watching (have noticed it since the first viewing):

I love how the music cuts out just as Tony is flying back to the tower. Specifically where his jets cut out, the music matches that moment and cuts out at the same time before resuming once he regains control once more.

I thought it was my imagination until I was listening to the instrumental OST and noticed that not once did it cut out like that. So it's kinda neat that the sound mixers decided to add that little bit.

His costume is awesome, it's just the helmet that needs to change.

it just looks so cheap, reminds me of those foam adult super hero costumes you get at Halloween stores. His first movie costume was awesome and was modeled after the military uniforms of that time, they should do the same with his modern costume, make it look like more inspired by modern military/swat type of armor.

Also I barely noticed on 2nd viewing that Thor got a new costume mid movie.

Thor's magic arm spanglies that he summons He-Man style are my favorite change from the books.

I loved that in the movie. It was like a power-up when you watch the mail armor attaching to his arms. Coupled with the cape and he was looking every bit the Norse thunder God that he is. Too bad no helmet though, I think the helmet would've looked cool during battle.

it just looks so cheap, reminds me of those foam adult super hero costumes you get at Halloween stores. His first movie costume was awesome and was modeled after the military uniforms of that time, they should do the same with his modern costume, make it look like more inspired by modern military/swat type of armor.

Also I barely noticed on 2nd viewing that Thor got a new costume mid movie.

It looks colorful and comic booky, which fits with the general aesthetic and tone of the movie. Avengers is unapologetic about what it is, as opposed to pretty much every superhero film out there. It's one of the reasons why it's so good and regarded as the best by many, yours truly included.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It looks colorful and comic booky, which fits with the general aesthetic and tone of the movie. Avengers is unapologetic about what it is, as opposed to pretty much every superhero film out there. It's one of the reasons why it's so good and regarded as the best by many, yours truly included.

nah they shoulda went all in on the commander rogers suit or went with a variation of the one from Caps movie. He still looked aight with no head gear but it was inbetween and therefore meh compared to what it could've been. Good thing cap beat ass in the movie that made up for it.

this woulda been fine and made Evans look bigger.

Comandante%2BRogers%2B2.jpg

The Chef

That gag reel on the Bluray was hilarious.

Hulk:
"Screw this! You guys are on your own!" *runs off set* hahahahahah god I was dying.

Man the blu-rays picture and sound quality are just amazing.

The audio quality is something else. The opening scene when the tesseract starts to go wild - holy shit. Thought my subwoofer was going to lift my couch off the floor, lol.

Also, love when the Avengers assemble and Hulk roars. Sounds amazing.

Tobor

Yes! Just finished watching the BluRay(third viewing overall), and I really hope they keep the costume. He's Captain America, dammit!

Coulson said it right, the world can use a little old fashioned.

I think the problem with Cap's uniform is the fact that the suit is so form hugging therefore making his head look bigger and more prominent and at the same time making him look tiny. I think he looks absolutely fine in the scenes where he has his helmet off, and also in the concept art where he looks bigger. Just a shame it didnt really translate into reality that well. Probably could've been fixed with some padding on the suit to buff him out a bit.

COULSON! COULSON! COULSONNNNNN!
Yeah that's the best part lol.

I think the problem with Cap's uniform is the fact that the suit is so form hugging therefore making his head look bigger and more prominent and at the same time making him look tiny. I think he looks absolutely fine in the scenes where he has his helmet off, and also in the concept art where he looks bigger. Just a shame it didnt really translate into reality that well. Probably could've been fixed with some padding on the suit to buff him out a bit.
Agreed. I think the helmet just needs some adjustment. Maybe bring it back a little to the WW2 era version which looked pretty fine to me. Something about the lack of a chin strap on the modern version makes it look weird.

JB1981

I really love Chris Evans in this. Definitely my favorite character. Love how straight he plays the role

Watching the movie a second time and this line is so bad!
"The tesseract is more than knowledge it's .... truth."

Hahah

ReBurn

Gold Member
I really love Chris Evans in this. Definitely my favorite character. Love how straight he plays the role

Hahah

If his ass was clenched any tighter you could shove coal in there and get a diamond.

Beth Cyra

Hahah

I remember dreading him because how awful his Human Tourch was. Still not my favorite as I just think Hemms nails Thor and I love the Thor/Loki moments, but I did come away enjoying Chris's Cap.

JB1981

I remember dreading him because how awful his Human Tourch was. Still not my favorite as I just think Hemms nails Thor and I love the Thor/Loki moments, but I did come away enjoying Chris's Cap.

The Thor/Loki conversation "Shakespeare in the park" scene is great. Love the dialog

"You want me to put the hammer down?!l loll

Hahah

There are a number of godawful Whedon-isms. Rewatched it this weekend and felt a little embarrassed at some lines.

Hahah

What's wrong with that line? It sounds like the kind of bullshit a brain-washed cultist would spout, which is exactly what Selvig was.

Gotta consider the context mang.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Hahah

yes thats bad....but technically a valid ...difference you can obtain knowledge and not obtain the truth. but still yeah they could've skipped that line.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Saw it for the first time last night. I'm glad just in the last few pages other people had the same feelings I did - the beginning is a snooze. I actually fell asleep right at the Loki/museum scene and finished it in the morning. The second half is much better, but I dunno.. nothing extraordinary and fairly cliche. Using the no-name agent guy from Iron Man to rally them (and by them I mean two guys) seemed pretty dumb. Out of all these movies I'd honestly rank Thor as the most entertaining especially because it's the shortest. I'm not sure why people went so gaga over Avengers though, I'm assuming the ensemble.

Figure I should drop these here. ;P

http://i.minus.com/iXiZ2ZBGsoWH3.gif

http://i.minus.com/iUcyIHXo99fqL.gif

http://i.minus.com/iIDiSflY4oIH.gif

Some gifs made from the BTS vids io9 posted a couple weeks back, but I dunno if I should embed them in here directly since they're like 8 MB, 10 MB, and 20 MB in size. Though if it's not an issue, I can go ahead and make them direct image links.
Whoa! Was ScarJo all CG there or was that a temp stand in? Looks real.

Quick

Banned
Whoa! Was ScarJo all CG there or was that a temp stand in? Looks real.

Each one has a fully detailed digital stand-in. I could be wrong, but apparently, when they were doing that particular shot, Cap was in a different spot during filming, then they moved him to his current spot in post-production.

Beth Cyra

The Thor/Loki conversation "Shakespeare in the park" scene is great. Love the dialog

"You want me to put the hammer down?!l loll

Ugh....that scene was the worst one in the whole movie.

Given Thor already went through the whole humility bit in Thor and Cap showed up and told both of them to calm down his sudden rage is just cheesy as hell.

Had a few times I felt like this, but the Hammer/Shield was the worst.

I watched the blu-ray commentary earlier today (which was mildly funny) and I've been fangirling over Thor and Loki all day. I feel like I've regressed back to high school. Help.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Each one has a fully detailed digital stand-in. I could be wrong, but apparently, when they were doing that particular shot, Cap was in a different spot during filming, then they moved him to his current spot in post-production.

I think he's actually referring to the first gif.

iXiZ2ZBGsoWH3.gif

You're referring to the third one.

iIDiSflY4oIH.gif

Replicant

This. People have told me in the past that Pirates of the Carribean is an example of stunning Blu-ray transfer and I just went "Eh, it's okay. It has grains in some of the scenes". Avengers, however, is crystal-clear and eye-melting.

Tobor

Ugh....that scene was the worst one in the whole movie.

Given Thor already went through the whole humility bit in Thor and Cap showed up and told both of them to calm down his sudden rage is just cheesy as hell.

Had a few times I felt like this, but the Hammer/Shield was the worst.

Sudden rage? Iron Man had just attacked him and they were beating the crap out of each other. There was nothing sudden about it.

I loved that scene.

Binabik15

I think the Cap costume needs something to make his head less round, like little wings coming off his helmet where his ears are. If tiny wings are good enough for Ikarus, they're good enough for Steve Rogers.

I think the Cap costume needs something to make his head less round, like little wings coming off his helmet where his ears are. If tiny wings are good enough for Ikarus, they're good enough for Steve Rogers.
Yeah I think that would help too. I was all for the painted on wings but having some sculpted wings on there would help with the silhouette.

J10

Banned
One cool little detail that I didn't catch on first viewing: I noticed that Stark Tower was where the MetLife building used to be and I just assumed it was never there in the MCU. But then I realized it was there and you can see the MetLife building being deconstructed around the bottom of Stark Tower. That's pretty neat.

Jtrizzy

came to post this...and the aspect ratio! no black bars. It looks amazing...so much better than a movie theatre. Also the Blu Ray version shits on the itunes version. 3D blu ray is decent, but I just get sick of the glasses.

Bluth54

I just saw this movie for the first time last weekend and I absolutely loved it. One of the best superhero movies of the year by far and I'm really excited for the sequel even though it's years out.

I echo everyone sentiments on the awfulness of Caps new suit. I had flashbacks to the Justice League tv pilot

The suit is fine. The hood on it is atrocious though. When he doesnt have the hood up the suit likes awesome. But I think it is the thin, form fitting neck suddenly becoming a plastic helmet that makes it look so terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom