• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The suit is fine. The hood on it is atrocious though. When he doesnt have the hood up the suit likes awesome. But I think it is the thin, form fitting neck suddenly becoming a plastic helmet that makes it look so terrible.

Yeah, to be honest I wouldn't have minded if they pulled a Hawkeye for the "modern" suit and kept the hood off. He looks awesome with it down, but he's younger in the films than in the books, so his big eyes and rounder face look weird in the full get-up.

LosDaddie

Banned
Finally got to watch the blu-ray last night. Still a great movie.

Amazing PQ at 1.85:1 ratio AND glorious DTS audio!

:bow Whedon :bow

DoubleTap

They really should've just used Cap's WW2 helmet/mask. It would have tied it in to his first movie much like IM's Mark VI armor from IM2.

Curious what the costume will look like for CA 2.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If there's one complaint I have about Avengers, it's that Thor got the shaft in terms of screentime. I really think that he and Cap should have had a bro moment, similar to Stark and Banner on the Hellicarrier. Both Thor and Steve are soldiers, and are out of their element in a strange world. I think it would have been added more characterization to both characters.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If there's one complaint I have about Avengers, it's that Thor got the shaft in terms of screentime. I really think that he and Cap should have had a bro moment, similar to Stark and Banner on the Hellicarrier. Both Thor and Steve are soldiers, and are out of their element in a strange world. I think it would have been added more characterization to both characters.

Agreed. It also might've been a chance to callback to Thor's newfound humility and humanization at the end of his film. Plus, by the standards of his culture, he should see "The Captain" as very much like him - more than just a soldier, a warrior hero and icon of his people.

I was also a little disappointed that Thor wasn't as happy go lucky as he was in the first film. He was a very serious dude in Avengers.

LosDaddie

Banned

I think was difficult to write in bromances for both Thor and Capt America, at least in Avengers 1. Like you said, both were out of their element. One is a god from another planet/realm. The other is a relic from the past, still trying to get acclimated to modern times. Thor didn't really talk to anyone on the hellicarrier besides Fury, and Capt just (like Stark said) didn't belong in the lab.

But as soldiers, they had their brodown on the battlefield near the end. I hope A2 builds on this.

massoluk

Banned
Bought a new external USB Blu Ray drive, now I can finally watch all the Blu Ray movies I've been collecting.

BWAHAHAHA at the Gag reel. So funny when Coulson reached for Cap Face. My stomach hurt.

The deleted scene was nice, I wish those scenes of Rogers trying to live in modern day didn't get cut from the movie :\

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Watched it last night for the first time since the theatre and looooooooooooved it as much as the first time.
I watched the movie about 9 times on my iPad and iPhone and the movie is still as awesome as the first time I've seen it.

I think was difficult to write in bromances for both Thor and Capt America, at least in Avengers 1. Like you said, both were out of their element. One is a god from another planet/realm. The other is a relic from the past, still trying to get acclimated to modern times. Thor didn't really talk to anyone on the hellicarrier besides Fury, and Capt just (like Stark said) didn't belong in the lab.

But as soldiers, they had their brodown on the battlefield near the end. I hope A2 builds on this.
Thor did have a nice chat with agent Coulson

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
anybody know how to transfer this movie to an Android device? (Galaxy S2 LTE)

OR

know of an Android app that can play WMV files for Android?

LosDaddie

Banned
How's the 3D on the blu-ray? I have a MANdate set this weekend with my neighbor to watch it on his 3DTV.

I watched the movie about 9 times on my iPad and iPhone and the movie is still as awesome as the first time I've seen it.

No HDTV? Movie is near the top in terms of blu-ray PQ. DTS audio is fantastic, too.

Thor did have a nice chat with agent Coulson

Indeed. Nice joke there, too.

Nizz

They really should've just used Cap's WW2 helmet/mask. It would have tied it in to his first movie much like IM's Mark VI armor from IM2.

Curious what the costume will look like for CA 2.
They really did nail it imo with Captain America's costume in his movie. He still looked patriotic but still soldier-like with the pouches/gear/boots.

Mr. Sam

How's the 3D on the blu-ray? I have a MANdate set this weekend with my neighbor to watch it on his 3DTV.

If it's as good as it was in the cinema, annoying and obtrusive. If you want a good 3D film, or at least a film which does 3D justice, go for The Adventures of Tintin, Hugo or - I shit you not - Kung Fu Panda 2.

I missed out on the $20 3D blu-ray deal at Target! :(

If it's as good as it was in the cinema, annoying and obtrusive. If you want a good 3D film, or at least a film which does 3D justice, go for The Adventures of Tintin, Hugo or - I shit you not - Kung Fu Panda 2.

Kung Fu Panda 2 eh... will have to check it out.

grendelrt

I dont agree, I though the 3D was fun in it.

Edit: I saw it in 2D in cinema, I thought the 3D blu ray was great.

Pachimari

It's getting GREAT 3D Bluray impressions. Many believe its one of the absolute best 3D conversions yet.

I got it on 3D Bluray and I intend on finishing it in a moment. I got tons of other 3D Bluray movies I can compare it with.

And if one want stunning 3D movies, Hugo, Avatar and Titanic are among the top. Sammy's Adventures and Guardians of the Legend should also be terrific.

LosDaddie

Banned
Obtrusive? Nah, I barely noticed the 3D in the theater.

I'll report back what I thought of the 3D next week. The 2D blu-ray is fantastic, though. Up there with PotC and Avatar.

Mr. Sam

It's getting GREAT 3D Bluray impressions. Many believe its one of the absolute best 3D conversions yet.

Unless they've done another conversion since it was cinemas, that title is about as meaningful as "world's tallest midget" or "least contagious infection." Sorry - that comes over as me being rude and I don't mean to be, but the 3D was nothing but a distraction for me, and I really like the effect when used right (i.e. Hugo).

J10

Banned
I thought the 3D in the cinema was largely a waste of time. It didn't detract from the experience but it didn't really add anything to it either. How much better could the Blu-Ray be?

LosDaddie

Banned
I thought the 3D in the cinema was largely a waste of time. It didn't detract from the experience but it didn't really add anything to it either. How much better could the Blu-Ray be?

Same here. That's why I asked.

I think the only time I noticed teh 3D was when Thor was picking up the his hammer in the field

Grisby

Watched this on Blu last night. Still a hell of an awesome movie. I still think it's the best blockbuster movie this year.

I can't be the only one who wants to know the sheer costs and engineering hurdles to build that Helicarrier.

Seeing that thing raise out of the water is still jaw dropping.

I can't be the only one who wants to know the sheer costs and engineering hurdles to build that Helicarrier.

How did 4 turbines lift an aircraft carrier that high and that fast? lol. You'd need some serious Stark repulsor tech or something. But I totally bought it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

You should see the full model of the thing. Tons of interior details that never would have been seen by anyone in the final film.

You should see the full model of the thing. Tons of interior details that never would have been seen by anyone in the final film.

It's probably my favorite model in the entire film, chills when the reflector grid engaged to make that thing invisible. Also Xia, why you tease with knowledge of that model... ;_;

Check out the write-up that appeared here around the time the movie came out in theaters: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55755
That's pretty fucking cool. But seeing the picture of the helicarrier made me notice something I didn't while watching.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-15%20at%206.54.11%20PM.png

Xia, can you explain why the runway at the back is angled where if one of the Harriers or F-35 pilots, god forbid, miss their landing like pilots do in real life, at such a point where it goes straight into one of the four rotors.

Keep in mind this is the same rotor with enough lifting power to rise a freaking carrier!

I thought you guys would've noticed this when designing the thing lol

Mondriaan

Xia, can you explain why the runway at the back is angled where if one of the Harriers or F-35 pilots, god forbid, miss their landing like pilots do in real life, at such a point where it goes straight into one of the four rotors.

Keep in mind this is the same rotor with enough lifting power to rise a freaking carrier!

In my recollection of the movie, the aircraft they used landed vertically.

Not that low speed flying anywhere near that carrier wouldn't be a ridiculously bad idea given how much air would be moving to keep something so big and heavy airborne.

ascii42

That's pretty fucking cool. But seeing the picture of the helicarrier made me notice something I didn't while watching.

I guess they should always try to land in the other direction, then.

Allard

Same here. That's why I asked.

I think the only time I noticed teh 3D was when Thor was picking up the his hammer in the field

Think its going to depend on the type of 3Dtv but on my Vizio 3D polarized glasses TV (Which gives better color and brightness clarity but sacrifices vertical resolution and has horrible viewing angle issues if you need more then one person to watch the movie, but I am single in a small apartment so it doesn't bother me) I found the 3D experience better then it was in the theaters. Felt with the additional clarity the Blu-Ray transfer made the 3D just pop out more and didn't become a distraction, while also not becoming so nuanced its unnoticeable. Some clear camera angle cuts and action sequences I felt were greatly aided in 3D. The opening shot when they are going down the large elevator to get to the tessaract was really a neat shot in 3D that for some reason I didn't notice before in the theaters when I saw it. Had the same thing happen with Hugo, the 3D theater I went to for it was a horrible ghosting mess due to how it was setup but at home it was amazingly fluid and enjoyable experience. As far as 3D conversions go its easily the best one out there, but I still don't think it beats the 3D experience on 85% of the movies actually filmed with a real 3D camera, but it certainly came the closest and I certainly enjoyed it in my home more then I did in the theater for 3D for what its worth.

.GqueB.

Banned

"Looks kewl"

Simple. Quinjets/helicopters use the top runway since they have vertical takeoff. The lower runway is for regular jets as well as the hangar itself.

In the instance of the movie, obviously the decoy ship that Fury shot at was up top so that the real jet with the nuke could launch safely from the bottom (since you see the pilot prepping for takeoff with the hangar behind him).

grendelrt

Is she even alive? I thought the end of the Cap movie would have him doing that but they didn't bother.

I was really expecting the cafe waitress he saves and defends him on TV to end up being her grand daughter or something, I don't know why but it popped in my head as soon as I saw her lol

Quick

Banned
Is she even alive? I thought the end of the Cap movie would have him doing that but they didn't bother.

On the deleted scene, Cap goes through dossiers of people he worked with, all of them with a red "Deceased" stamp, except for Peggy. Her dossier had her current address and phone number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehn8RqOt7U

I feel like they're saving their reunion/phone conversation for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Simple. Quinjets/helicopters use the top runway since they have vertical takeoff. The lower runway is for regular jets as well as the hangar itself.

In the instance of the movie, obviously the decoy ship that Fury shot at was up top so that the real jet with the nuke could launch safely from the bottom (since you see the pilot prepping for takeoff with the hangar behind him).

Why even make a runway if only VTOL aircraft will be using it?

Why even make a runway if only VTOL aircraft will be using it?

It seemed to function more as a landing pad than an actual runway, but there looks to be enough for at least a short, traditional take off if need be.

Provides a staging area so planes can be moved into/out of service bays, and for V/STOL aircraft.

Seemed that way too since you can see crewmembers securing the quinjets before the carrier takes off. Again, though it's quite a short runway, you can still use it for other purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom