• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK Rises

My local theater has: imax 3d, real 3d, and rpx (regal premium experience). Any suggestions on what to go to? I'm curious about RPX...

I saw it in IMAX3D and it was solid. The sound and picture quality is better than the 2D and the 3D didn't feel to gimmicky.

Not Singer's fault Fox couldn't wait a year. Singer was going to do X3 and X4 back to back. Blame FOX for being fucking idiots.

I blame FOX too, but it didn't come as any surprise that they weren't willing to wait a year.

It just sucks. X3 was beyond awful and Returns was just bad. No good came out of Singer leaving the X-Franchise.

I also don't understand the 'fun' argument. It is all about which is more entertaining. Entertainment comes in many different forms. Why watch Munich, when I can watch Police Academy 6: Mission Moscow? IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING MR. BONE?

What a ridiculous statement. Everyone knows there's no fun in Police Academy without Guttenberg.

I blame FOX too, but it didn't come as any surprise that they weren't willing to wait a year.

It just sucks. X3 was beyond awful and Returns was just bad. No good came out of Singer leaving the X-Franchise.

We won't agree here. Returns was a flawed, but good film. Still one of the better superhero movies.

We won't agree here. Returns was a flawed, but good film. Still one of the better superhero movies.

Bad may be a bit harsh, but I don't think I can say it's good by any stretch of the imagination. I think mediocre is about as generous as I could be with it. I appreciate what Singer tried to do with it, but the whole film was unnecessary and came across as more of a rehash than anything for me.

I'll admit I haven't seen it in a while, but I doubt a rewatch would change my opinion much.

I like to pin Cyclops getting fucked on in X3 as Singer's fault as well. If Marsden didn't sign onto Returns, I feel his character wouldn't have got shat on as much in X3. It's not to say that Cyclops would've finally gotten proper treatment, but anything's better than his pathetic showing in X3.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't even really appreciate what Singer was trying to do. I think that was the wrong way to go about making another Superman movie, as a sort-of-not-quite sequel/reboot to some-but-not-all of the old Superman films. Also the stuff with the kid totally undermines Superman's character.

Bad may be a bit harsh, but I don't think I can say it's good by any stretch of the imagination. I think mediocre is about as generous as I could be with it. I appreciate what Singer tried to do with it, but the whole film was unnecessary and came across as more of a rehash than anything for me.

I'll admit I haven't seen it in a while, but I doubt a rewatch would change my opinion much.

I like to pin Cyclops getting fucked on in X3 as Singer's fault as well. If Marsden didn't sign onto Returns, I feel his character wouldn't have got shat on as much in X3. It's not to say that Cyclops would've finally gotten proper treatment, but anything's better than his pathetic showing in X3.

The problem with Cyclops is that from the beginning he should have been played by Michael Biehn.

Good...really? Superman Returns isn't good by any stretch of the imagination. Probably the most boring comic book film ever. Barely any worthwhile action.

You don't even have to stretch your imagination.

Good cinematography.
Good score.
Good performances.

Great scenes? Plane sequence is still the best superhero action scene put to screen, brief as it was. The flying car scene is goddamn magical. Superman flying from the biplane into the sun is gorgeous. Superman getting the shit beaten out of him was pretty unnverving. The shot of him falling unconsciously back to earth looks great. Supes scene with his sleeping son?

There is plenty of great stuff in the film. But of course it is marred by the silly attempt to rehash Donner's 1978 plot. The flight over Metropolis is nice in Returns, but ultimately feels empty compared to it's original source, despite Ottman's fantastic rendition of the original scene's score.

Superman Returns is a flawed film, but a good film. It's still a huge shame that the opening Krypton search scene was never on the theatrical cut.

Lebron

Returns looked good visually and Routh made a decent Superman considering what shit he had to work with. Anything left that was considered good simply came from the Donner film nods. The film was balls overall.

I know you love Michael Biehn, but he was washed up years before X-Men 1 was even released. Just be glad he got one more moment to shine in The Rock.

Hey, don't think that I don't know Biehn was washed up already. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have been PERFECT to play Cyclops. I mean, I can't think of any other roles he was born to play. But Cyclops was it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I mean, I can't think of any other roles he was born to play.

I'm dissapointed in you.

250px-Kyle_Reese.png

He fucking owned in T1.

tumblr_krtqfnyfke1qa2p29o1_400.jpg

AND Aliens.

The movie is just what you expect to kick off the summer. I went in with low expectations and came out with a giant grin. Tons of action, humor, and more action. Everyone plays their roles perfectly and it should make bank during it's run.

I imagine you saying that in Christian Bale's Batman voice and it makes me grin.

Guzim

I also don't understand the 'fun' argument. It is all about which is more entertaining. Entertainment comes in many different forms. Why watch Munich, when I can watch Police Academy 6: Mission Moscow? IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING MR. BONE?

City Under Siege is Police Academy 6!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Great scenes? Plane sequence is still the best superhero action scene put to screen, brief as it was. The flying car scene is goddamn magical. Superman flying from the biplane into the sun is gorgeous. Superman getting the shit beaten out of him was pretty unnverving. The shot of him falling unconsciously back to earth looks great. Supes scene with his sleeping son?

Now I know you probably don't give two shits about who these characters really are, and thereby your definition of a good adaptation ends up being completely blurred, because you probably care more if it's a good film.

That said Scully, although Returns looks absolutely wonderful (specially high), it was tripe.

Oh and the bolded? LOL

The problem with Cyclops is that from the beginning he should have been played by Michael Biehn.

He was already too old by the time the first X-Men came out.

I think he's a bit too rugged for the character too. I would have picked him for Wolverine before Cyclops.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Damn, reviews are insanely good so far. I'm just hoping for it to be as good as Iron Man 1, just with more action. Whedon will deliver.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ya but early reviews tend to skew positive. No movie maintains 100% after a US release. Still encouraging.

yeah, of course.

We had the box office debate. What about the reviews? Which movie will have the highest tomatometer: DKR or Avengers? People going into the Avengers are going to be surpised that it doesn't suck. People going into DKR will have insanely high expectations.

I know you love Michael Biehn, but he was washed up years before X-Men 1 was even released. Just be glad he got one more moment to shine in The Rock.
He aged pretty bad too.

@Sculli did you see that Chinese movie with Michael Biehn in it? I forgot the name but I believe Jackie Chan's son was in it too.

LosDaddie

Banned
Netflix has boarded the hypetrain. The Ultimate Avengers animated movies, and a couple of the Hulk animated movies are on streaming now. Not sure if in HD, though

:)

Cheebo

Banned

It's mostly on Fox. I'd say. It's common course for what Singer did. Singer wanted to badly come back and do X3 after finishing Returns. Paramount pushed back Star Trek 2 a year so Abrams could do Super 8. WB pushed TDKR back a year so Nolan could do Inception. What Singer requested was far from unreasonable especially after he basically on his own created the modern super hero movie boom.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TDKR will be riding in the humdrumvee. Avengers is in the funvee.

Both will do well and be good. But Avengers will be a lot more fun.

And yeah...Junior with a name TDK Rises with matching avatar promoting the same movie? Viral marketer?
Best TDKR/Avengers comparison ever.

apana

Superman Returns is a heartless movie that goes nowhere and the director clearly demonstrated that he has only a superficial understanding of Superman. Also Brandon Routh is a nice guy and I wish him all the best but he is not Superman. I enjoyed that Return to Krypton scene though.

Best TDKR/Avengers comparison ever.

tumblr_lzlx5yfkC01qzlvmi.gif

Mr. Sam

Superman Returns is a heartless movie that goes nowhere and the director clearly demonstrated that he has only a superficial understanding of Superman.

Agreed. Can't believe there wasn't at least one scene where Superman rebuilt a wall with his eyes.

First "rotten" review has come in. Doesn't actually seem too negative, she thought it was okay.

Bound to happen sooner or later. Anyone want to make predictions on final tomatometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom