• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The question is where would you rather be right now, China or the US? Draconian seem to be the only effective measures right now. Even Taiwan and Korea are strict on finding and tracking people who have the virus.

The US, absolutely. I don't want to see what happens to people who aren't considered "useful" who do get infected in China.

When they reopen and are doing business as usual we'll see if there is a wave 2.

I don't understand how it's even a question of if...

What is that data based off of. They don't know the % ill and that's a big graph for a range of 0 - 8 points. Seems way too early to draw conclusions about effectiveness of any measure. We've seen places have fewer confirmed positives one day only for it to rise again the next.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

What the fuck?

When her symptoms didn't shake, she did take the test on Monday. By Thursday, she felt "something in her lungs," she told longtime partner Josh Anderson. But she still felt well enough by then to join Anderson as the pair walked her dog.

On Friday, Anderson found Ott dead in her kitchen.

She was well enough to go for a walk with her dog and then just suddenly died the next day? Have we seen other instances of people just collapsing dead from this thing without going through a critical state (trouble breathing, etc.)?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I would like to explain Italy to people. I will preface by saying this information comes from a doctor.

Italy's problem is socialized medicine. If you are a smart Italian doctor you leave Italy to go work in a country where you can make more money. This is actually what happens in every county with socialized medicine. The best and the brightest leave because they don't want to work for pennies. This is especially bad in Italy because their economy isn't the best to begin with.

So Italy is doing its best with the b team of under paid doctors and nurses in a country that can barely afford basic healthcare for its citizens.

Meanwhile the US has the best doctors in the world and a well funded private healthcare system that while not fair for poor people is better than any where else in the world.

When people say the American healthcare system is bad they are not taking about quality, they are talking about access. There is a reason wealthy people come to the US for serious medical treatment after all.

Socialized medicine is ok for normal stuff but it gets exposed during crisis for obvious reasons.

But what about Germany you ask?
Germany is hiding their numbers because if someone dies with coronavirus and they have comorbidities they report the comorbidities as the cause if death. That is why their death rate is so low.
I feel embarrassed for you just reading this. I feel doubly embarrassed that you decided to give yourself a doctorate.

Setzer

Why aren't the italians using hydroxychloroquine?

I mean at their situation its worth a shot. Even the Chinese were testing it out.
I believe Italy has started using it as treatment but I don't know as of when. I'll have to see if I can find the link to the pdf document that someone posted on reddit which outlined Lombardy's treatment for infected patients. Chloroquine was mentioned and a couple of other drugs with it. Also HydroxyChloroquine is more effective and safer but they only specified Chloroquine in their guidelines.....and no mention of them using Azithromycin or a Zinc supplement in combination with it. But I really don't believe Italy's daily death count to the virus after reading that article about how they code deaths. So we don't know if what they're doing is actually helping.

Last edited:
What the fuck?

She was well enough to go for a walk with her dog and then just suddenly died the next day? Have we seen other instances of people just collapsing dead from this thing without going through a critical state (trouble breathing, etc.)?

I mean surely this must be an outlier case? Doesn't seem to reflect any of the widespread reports of how COVID 19 manifests.

gamerMan

Why aren't the italians using hydroxychloroquine?

I mean at their situation its worth a shot. Even the Chinese were testing it out.
Chloroquine is already being used in Italy and so far it hasn't slowed down the rate of death. Here is an Italian Doctor talking about it on March 4th.

Here is the Italian regimen in Lombardy.
ETJm6H1XQAE8q-U

Setzer

Chloroquine is already being used in Italy and so far it hasn't slowed down the rate of death. Here is an Italian Doctor talking about it on March 4th.

Here is the Italian regimen in Lombardy.
ETJm6H1XQAE8q-U

Thanks for posting this. I found the same document but it was all in Italian. I wonder why they're not using Zinc or Azithromycin in combination with the Chloroquine/HydroxyChloroquine. A Z-pack should def. be used in the more severe patients and Chloroquine is useless without Zinc. Zinc is what stops the virus from replicating.

autoduelist

Welp time to turn to the dark side.

Don't really see a way of stopping this. We will be in this thread soon at a few million. Even flattening the curve means basically a surveillance state. Basically probably going to go out each day knowing based on your age you got a % chance of catching it and dying that day.

I guess the only good news is at some point people will get infected, survive and then be immune (as long as it doesn't mutate) but its going to be ugly getting there. Unless a miracle hail mary comes out of nowhere.

Eh, i think you may be underestimating us all. I mean, consider the Spanish Flu. Actually, let's go back - consider we went through the Black Death, which is estimated to have killed 1 out of every 3 people in Europe [and given it had spread from Central Asia, i have no idea how many died there]. Before modern medicine and hospitals. And that wasn't even the first plague, it killed something like 50 million a few centuries earlier and we don't even have a name for that one because the Black death was so massive.

Humanity got through that.

And now, sure, hospitals are getting overcrowded. But we still have ventilators for many, we still have geniuses sitting in research labs trying to solve this, we still can get food delivered to our houses.

We'll get through this. Don't let adversity get you down. Don't worry about catching it, just do your best not to. Be there for your friends and family. This is an awful pandemic, sure, but it sounds like it's a fairly minor one, all things considered, and it's happening at a time in humanity where we have the technology to do something about it. We just need the resolve, too.

Lessons learned this year will very likely save millions of lives the next time a more sinister pandemic begins. And while that does not take away from the losses of those who fall to this one, pandemics are a part of this world,it is at least, something. we should have been on high caution given the prevalence of world travel [even the Black Death was brought to Europe by boat], but instead we forgot.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The initial lockdowns were put in place through mid April. Does anyone here actually think they're gonna be lifted then?

Even if there's an improvement in cases, how could they lift it and allow business as usual and risk setting everything back to square one again with more outbreaks, which would actually make things worse and last longer?

Last edited:
Eh, i think you may be underestimating us all. I mean, consider the Spanish Flu. Actually, let's go back - consider we went through the Black Death, which is estimated to have killed 1 out of every 3 people in Europe [and given it had spread from Central Asia, i have no idea how many died there]. Before modern medicine and hospitals. And that wasn't even the first plague, it killed something like 50 million a few centuries earlier and we don't even have a name for that one because the Black death was so massive.

Humanity got through that.

And now, sure, hospitals are getting overcrowded. But we still have ventilators for many, we still have geniuses sitting in research labs trying to solve this, we still can get food delivered to our houses.

We'll get through this. Don't let adversity get you down. Don't worry about catching it, just do your best not to. Be there for your friends and family. This is an awful pandemic, sure, but it sounds like it's a fairly minor one, all things considered, and it's happening at a time in humanity where we have the technology to do something about it. We just need the resolve, too.

Lessons learned this year will very likely save millions of lives the next time a more sinister pandemic begins. And while that does not take away from the losses of those who fall to this one, pandemics are a part of this world,it is at least, something. we should have been on high caution given the prevalence of world travel [even the Black Death was brought to Europe by boat], but instead we forgot.

I don't know of anyone who thinks this will be the end of humanity or anything. Worse case scenario is a lot of dead people, from COVID-19 and issues relating to it (overloaded medical systems etc).

Will it help us in the future? Maybe? I imagine the next pandemic will be something that's evolved to evade whatever we learn this time. There will always be something. Life.. Uh.. Finds a way

The initial lockdowns were put in place through mid April. Does anyone here actually think they're gonna be lifted then?

Even if there's an improvement in cases, how could they lift it and allow business as usual and risk setting everything back to square one again with more outbreaks, which would actually make things worse and last longer?

They shouldn't. I'm guessing some places will see early progress and go ALL BETTER! And then get fucked again. The President was right saying this is a July type thing at best, 18 months at worst. We'll probably evolve some new policies and procedures if it does drag on though.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
They shouldn't. I'm guessing some places will see early progress and go ALL BETTER! And then get fucked again. The President was right saying this is a July type thing at best, 18 months at worst. We'll probably evolve some new policies and procedures if it does drag on though.
Could you imagine how brutal that would be? To prematurely think all is well and get hit back to square one again? I'm not sure the economy could handle it tbh. It's better to bite the bullet and be extra safe than prematurely go back to normal and set us back several months again.

Could you imagine how brutal that would be? To prematurely think all is well and get hit back to square one again? I'm not sure the economy could handle it tbh. It's better to bite the bullet and be extra safe than prematurely go back to normal and set us back several months again.

The problem is if people see no new cases or serious problems they'll go.. This lockdowns is stupid and pointless! Without realizing there are no cases or problems BECAUSE of the lockdowns.

If they don't do the lockdowns though, there is no way to put the Corona genie back in the bottle.

rykomatsu

I don't know how reliable this source is but, it looks like Italy is administering a cocktail that is not recommended? Without knowing cause of death for the cocktail being administered in Italy, difficult to say anything I think
Combining lopinavir/ritonavir with chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine could cause serious arrhythmias and drug interactions due to the increased QT interval, the task force said. Thus, the combination should be administered cautiously, in a very limited case, it emphasized.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
What is the indicator that governments are looking at to lift these national or city-wide shutdowns?

Is it like China, which is keeping Wuhan locked down until it has experienced 14 straight days without a new case?

autoduelist

Well seriously its garbage.

I can think of a red and gold flag that is garbage.

But let's go over the the article.

Virologist Roberto Burioni was labeled a “far-right fascist” for saying in January that anyone returning to Italy from China should be quarantined, according to Politico

So a virologist was shamed for wanting to quarantine...

Those on the outside looking in and who had read reports about the outbreak watched in disbelief as local officials like Florence Mayor Dario Nardella were telling Italians to “hug a Chinese.” It was a patronizing virtue signal to show Italy’s Asian population support, and to prove to the world that Italy wasn’t “racist” after reports of alleged “xenophobic incidents” against Chinese people in Italy as a result of their China travel ban:

While a mayor virtue signaled he wasn't racist and caused people to act in a dangerous manner.

These and other events led to:

Dr. Giorgio Palù, the former president of the European and Italian Society for Virology and a professor of virology and microbiology of the University of Padova, told CNN :

SNIP

He says the Italian government lagged at first. It was “lazy in the beginning… too much politics in Italy."

“There was a proposal to isolate people coming from the epicenter, coming from China,” he said. “Then it became seen as racist, but they were people coming from the outbreak.” That, he said, led to the current devastating situation.

So the former president of the European and Italian Society for Virology says accusations of racism let politics lead to the current situation.... but the article telling us this is 'garbage'. Not garbage you actually quote and try to discuss, of course, but garbage you try to shame me for posting and imply people shouldn't read.

Right. Red and gold my fucking ass.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I don't know of anyone who thinks this will be the end of humanity or anything. Worse case scenario is a lot of dead people, from COVID-19 and issues relating to it (overloaded medical systems etc).

Will it help us in the future? Maybe? I imagine the next pandemic will be something that's evolved to evade whatever we learn this time. There will always be something. Life.. Uh.. Finds a way

I was responding to the despondent tone of his post and reminding him we will persevere. His post started with 'Welp time to turn to the dark side.'

That's basically what the CCP is doing except they're just like "fuck it" and are forcing people to work in the middle of the virus.

Wwg1wga

Xyrmellon

Weren't there quite a few videos of this indeed happening in China, where people just randomly collapsed? I seem to remember they were all dismissed as fakes.

gamerMan

Thanks for posting this. I found the same document but it was all in Italian. I wonder why they're not using Zinc or Azithromycin in combination with the Chloroquine/HydroxyChloroquine. A Z-pack should def. be used in the more severe patients and Chloroquine is useless without Zinc. Zinc is what stops the virus from replicating.
China discovered several drugs including Chloroquine that helped against Covid-19 and doctors around the world adopted it as a best practice. Here's an article from February. Doctors in the United States are already using Chloroquine.

It doesn't work for everybody.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What the fuck?

Patients have gone from healthy and even testing negative to being on the verge of death, intubated in the ICU within 36 hours. It's a nasty virus.

Schools are closed and businesses shuttered, so what do people here do? Treat it like school holidays. There are more people out and about than ever. It would probably have been safer to continue Johnson's original plan.

This is why this casual attitude is worrying.

wcCgyB1.jpg
Totally agree. I sometimes feel as if only my family are taking the social distancing seriously. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm not a Boris fan but people complained he wasn't doing anything and then, when he did, they all ignore it!

In other UK news, Currys told me yesterday that people are panic buying freezers! That's ridiculous.

holygeesus

Banned
Totally agree. I sometimes feel as if only my family are taking the social distancing seriously. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm not a Boris fan but people complained he wasn't doing anything and then, when he did, they all ignore it!

In other UK news, Currys told me yesterday that people are panic buying freezers! That's ridiculous.

This was the nearest seaside 'resort' (I use that term questionably) to me yesterday.

I'm beginning to think the human race deserves everything it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom