• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
KNOW THE SIGNS. YOU COULD BE NEXT!

I don't think I've ever had pneumonia, so I had to look these up.

What Are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?
Pneumonia symptoms can vary from so mild you barely notice them, to so severe that hospitalization is required. How your body responds to pneumonia depends on the type germ causing the infection, your age and your overall health.

The signs and symptoms of pneumonia may include:

• Cough, which may produce greenish, yellow or even bloody mucus
  • Fever, sweating and shaking chills
  • Shortness of breath
  • Rapid, shallow breathing
  • Sharp or stabbing chest pain that gets worse when you breathe deeply or cough
  • Loss of appetite, low energy, and fatigue
  • Nausea and vomiting, especially in small children
  • Confusion, especially in older people

cryptoadam

Banned

Pneumonia symptoms can vary from so mild you barely notice them, to so severe that hospitalization is required. How your body responds to pneumonia depends on the type germ causing the infection, your age and your overall health.

• Shortness of breath

Can this be added to the OP ?

iorek21

Everything is alright, everyone

ERqQ_PfW4AAiuOV

• Shortness of breath

I had pneumonia once when I was younger, and it was really hard on me then. Even after I got over it, I didn't feel like myself for several months afterwards.

It's easy to see how it can be a death sentence for the elderly or people with already weak health.

Can't verify source, so YMMV

News has emerged that several inmates in Karaj Prison, Evin Prison and Tehran's Greater Prison, also known as Fashafuyeh, have contracted the coronavirus [COVID-19].

"They came in the morning without any notice and told us to pack our belongings because they wanted to move us. When we asked why we were being moved, where we were going, and why they were only telling us now, they didn't answer,” Saeed Soltanpour, a Gonabadi dervish prisoner at the central prison of Karaj, told me. “There seems to be a coronavirus outbreak in the prison; they canceled visits and temporary prison leave. There were two of us dervishes in a special security ward, and we were transferred to a six-meter cell in the workers' ward that had formerly been a single cell and now accommodates eight people. They now say that our former ward, behind the medical facility, has been allocated to prisoners with suspected coronavirus."

Soltanpour is one of eight Gonabadi dervishes who were transferred from Fashafuyeh Prison to Karaj Central Prison and, on February 25, without prior notice, were again transferred, this time to a small cell.

A former member of staff at Karaj Central Prison also quoted a prison guard, who confirmed the evacuation of the prison's ward for political prisoners, saying it is being used as a quarantine area for prisoners suspected to have been exposed to coronavirus due to its proximity and easy access to the prison's medical facility. "I am not sure whether there was a suspected coronavirus case at Karaj Prison, but given the prisoners’ close contact with prison guards and officers who are in constant contact with the outside, there is a risk that coronavirus has reached the prison."

We saw how fast it moved in Chinese prisons (even from their numbers).. and in South Korean mental facilities...

skneogaf

I'd like some opinions on the idea of preparing for the worst. Things like Groceries that will last a long time and cleaning products etc.

I've seen Italy falling apart and I am seriously considering it.

I'm not talking years worth but enough to last if the areas I live in becomes a problem?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like some opinions on the idea of preparing for the worst. Things like Groceries that will last a long time and cleaning products etc.

I'm not talking years worth but enough to last if the areas I live in becomes a problem?
You'll most likely get infected by somebody that lives in your home though! (if it gets that bad) Like you would from a normal cold.

Non perishables.. canned stuff. Beans and Rice are good. Dry seasoning is probably good too. Make you sure you have salt.

Water is the biggie.. need to have a way to procure some and boil/sanitize it.

THIS issue is not going to lead to it becoming the Wild West outside. Odds are people will just mostly stay home and putz around their home/yard. I don't see an internet/power/water shutoff happening due to this virus.

skneogaf

Get medicine, have a few 5 gallon water bottles/jugs, ammo first.

Lol ammo

I live in England, I don't need ammo. Knives and stab vests on the other hand.... Hmmm

I will take a note of some use by dates on products I usually buy weekly/monthly to see just what I could actually stock up on so if panic does happen and people start buying everything on the shelves, I won't need to join them.

Sejan

In everything but the most extreme circumstances, utilities should continue with minimal interruptions in every likely scenario. If anything, I’d suggest you buy a week or two of non perishable foods. Dry rice, beans, and canned foods for a week should be cheap and suffice. If your area is put on lockdown (in a developed nation), there should be something in place to provide emergency food within a reasonable amount of time. Emergency food stocks should be enough to get to the point in which emergency services kick in as well as supplementing them for a period of time.

iorek21

How does the Coronavirus compare to the 2009 H1N1 epidemic?

I know it's a little too early to judge, but was it just as bad back then?

How does the Coronavirus compare to the 2009 H1N1 epidemic?

I know it's a little too early to judge, but was it just as bad back then?

Too soon to tell really.

2009 H1N1: "It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700–1400 million people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had a much lower case fatality rate."

If COVAD-19 manages to infect 1400 million people, there could be 42,000,000 deaths (3% CFR) so it'd be much, much worse. Not sure I can see that happening though. It'd really have to cover the globe and last all year long to get to those kind of infected #s, AND the 3% CFR would need to hold, which is also probably unlikely (IF it is spreading so much).

nush

So what kind of emergencies stores do people have so far?

I have to imagine just with shit we keep in cubbords/etc we probably have a week at least of food. It's not GREAT food, but it's food. Canned shit, pasta, crackers, that kind of stuff.

We definitely do not stock enough water though. Not sure a good way to keep 150 gallons sitting around. (Fish tank?)

One month of drinking water, just buy the 2+ litre bottles, you'll go through about one bottle a day. Freezer has been loaded with meat. Potatoes keep a long time, dried instant noodles also a big bag of rice. Plus the bug-out bag contents.

Liljagare

In everything but the most extreme circumstances, utilities should continue with minimal interruptions in every likely scenario. If anything, I’d suggest you buy a week or two of non perishable foods. Dry rice, beans, and canned foods for a week should be cheap and suffice. If your area is put on lockdown (in a developed nation), there should be something in place to provide emergency food within a reasonable amount of time. Emergency food stocks should be enough to get to the point in which emergency services kick in as well as supplementing them for a period of time.

Pastas, rice, noodles, bought in bulk, last forever, is a good thing, then just grab a box of canned tomatoes/beans/corn/mushrooms, and volia, you can last months as long as you have water and access to boiling temps.

Takes so little effort, everyone should really always have a small e-stash at home, makes life so much easier in bad situations. Might be bad weather, storms, droughts, or, I guess viruses. Doesn't cost much, nobody will suffer from you having it. Add a small multifuel burner and you can sustain yourself for a very long time.

Civil defence 101?

All of our grandparents had some base storage at home, not a bad idea.

Last edited:

nush

Pastas, rice, noodles, bought in bulk, last forever, is a good thing, then just grab a box of canned tomatoes/beans/corn/mushrooms, and volia, you can last months as long as you have water and access to boiling temps.

Takes so little effort, everyone should really always have a small e-stash at home, makes life so much easier in bad situations. Might be bad weather, storms, droughts, or, I guess viruses. Doesn't cost much, nobody will suffer from you having it. Add a small multifuel burner and you can sustain yourself for a very long time.

I'll add to this. Don't tell your neighbors you have a stash. They'll be round with the quickness if SHTF and they know you've got it.

Porcile

I've been buying cans of tomatoes, instant noodles, rice, frozen noodles, meat, frozen veggies, pasta, tuna cans. I have loads of spices, lentils, flour etc, I'll do another run on my way home tonight. Lockdown be a comin' boyz and girlsz.

jason10mm

Gold Member
We definitely do not stock enough water though. Not sure a good way to keep 150 gallons sitting around. (Fish tank?)

Fill a tub. Use that water with purification tablets, bleach, a filter, etc. You can even get a giant bladder that fits inside regular shaped tubs to keep dirt and bugs out for a few weeks. Top tank of a typical american toilet holds a gallon or so as well. Dont forget your water heater as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So what kind of face masks are good to buy?

Is this good?

N95 or N100. 3M 8511 cool flow masks are good since they’re tolerable to wear for longer periods.

Butz

Banned
The irony here is Iran basically rigged the election by disqualifying a bunch of people, and the people who won were essentially hand picked by the regime. So in a way they picked their own carriers of their doom if they all end up getting infected.
If the virus would be 100% deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom