• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
person-s-just-cough-mom-s-just-cough-doctor-s-just-cough-google-looked-into-future-and-saw-death

Alright, without overexaggerating - how dangerous is it really? Because I'm looking at numbers and a 1-2% death rate is about on par with a normal flu.

The Flu has a Case Fatality Rate of around 0.1%. 1-2% is 10 to 20 times worse than the regular Flu. In Wuhan it's closer to 3-4%.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, without overexaggerating - how dangerous is it really? Because I'm looking at numbers and a 1-2% death rate is about on par with a normal flu.

1) It's a bit more than a normal flu, but still not letal. Most people recover from it. The people who die, they do primarily for other reasons: lack of healthcare, other deadly diseases,...

2) It will continue to spread easily, because it's extremely easy to spread, as much as politicians like to say "we don't have such issues here" or "we'll close borders",... those statements are all BS so be prepared. (which means bring the hand sanitizer with you, do not shake hands, avoid bad habits such as sneezing on your hands and such,... rather than panicking as most people are doing right now)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sejan

The numbers that I’ve seen for CFR (case fatality rate) for flu have put it at around 0.1%. COVID19 seems to have a CFR of 2-3% max. That means is 20-30 times more lethal than flu. In the case of both diseases, the rate of deaths heavily leans toward those that are very old or have additional heath problems. If you are youngish and/or outside of affected areas than your odds of surviving this are exceedingly high. If you are in an affected area and you are old or have other health issues, then you should be concerned. In either case, practicing good hygiene will substantially increase your likely proof of staying healthy.

Be prepared and practice good hygiene and you will almost assuredly be fine. Even if you aren’t prepared and practice poor hygiene, the odds are still heavily in your favor that this won’t affect you at this time. Panicking will make the situation worse just as much as not taking it seriously.

New page new numbers new countries (new rule if deaths are over 10 you are officially Chinese like Chairman Pickles)
OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
Diamond Princess691435 serious, 10 recoveredSource
South Korea977116 critical, 22 recoveredSource
Italy3221119 serious, 1 recoveredSource
Japan161*17 serious, 23 recoveredSource
Iran9515Source
Singapore9107 critical, 58 recoveredSource
Hong Kong8524 critical, 2 serious, 18 recoveredSource
United States5706 recovered
Thailand3702 serious, 15 recoveredSource
Taiwan3115 recoveredSource
Malaysia22017 recoveredSource
Australia22011 recoveredSource
Germany16014 recoveredSource
Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
UAE1302 serious, 3 recoveredSource
United Kingdom1308 recoveredSource
France14111 recoveredSource
Canada1103 recoveredSource
Macau1005 recoveredSource
Bahrain230Source
Kuwait90Source
Iraq50Source
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Spain502 recoveredSource
Oman40Source
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Finland101 recoveredSource
Sweden10Source
Belgium101 recoveredSource
Egypt101 recoveredSource
Israel20Source
Lebanon10Source
Afghanistan10Source
Austria20Source
Croatia10Source
Switzerland10Source
TOTAL2,7514786 serious/critical

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Biggest problem and concern is contagion rate. It spreads like crazy.

2% is when treated. 14-16% when left untreated.

Let it spread and you'll have more sick people than the health system can take, meaning mortality will rise significantly.

Then there's the economic hit, etc, etc, etc.

By the way, 2% of 7 billion people is 140 million, it's still a lot of people.

ExpandKong

Banned

Let it spread and you'll have more sick people than the health system can take, meaning mortality will rise significantly.

"just a flu bro"

Iran is troubling because we should be seeing around *800* cases to have 15 deaths already (and really much more).

15 out of 95 cases is almost a 16% CFR which would be horrible.

JordanN

Banned
The 2020 Olympics is at risk of being cancelled.

JeAWdLL.png

Keep in mind, the last time an Olympic Game was cancelled was because of two World Wars.

And ironically, Japan was suppose to host it.

The 1940 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XII Olympiad, were originally scheduled to be held from September 21 to October 6, 1940, in Tokyo, Japan. They were rescheduled for Helsinki, Finland, to be held from July 20 to August 4, 1940, but were ultimately canceled due to the outbreak of World War II. Helsinki eventually hosted the 1952 Summer Olympics and Tokyo the 1964 Summer Olympics.

:unsure:

Last edited:
Iran is troubling because we should be seeing around *800* cases to have 15 deaths already (and really much more).

15 out of 95 cases is almost a 16% CFR which would be horrible.

you know those numbers are wrong. Someone said 50 deaths he was in leadership or something
these numbers are worst than China

we should all praise China now because Iran is showing us how shit numbers can be

The numbers that I’ve seen for CFR (case fatality rate) for flu have put it at around 0.1%. COVID19 seems to have a CFR of 2-3% max. That means is 20-30 times more lethal than flu. In the case of both diseases, the rate of deaths heavily leans toward those that are very old or have additional heath problems. If you are youngish and/or outside of affected areas than your odds of surviving this are exceedingly high. If you are in an affected area and you are old or have other health issues, then you should be concerned. In either case, practicing good hygiene will substantially increase your likely proof of staying healthy.

Be prepared and practice good hygiene and you will almost assuredly be fine. Even if you aren’t prepared and practice poor hygiene, the odds are still heavily in your favor that this won’t affect you at this time. Panicking will make the situation worse just as much as not taking it seriously.

Dont get me wrong, this is a serious virus but honestly at this point people should have a greater fear of the economic fallout from all of this.

Last edited:
The 2020 Olympics is at risk of being cancelled.

JeAWdLL.png

Keep in mind, the last time an Olympic Game was cancelled was because of two World Wars.

Gonna need to buy a physical copy of Mario and Sonic 2020 collector's item

sad though wanted to see this but the fear around it is justified it would spread this to every nation

demigod

Not sure if this is known but my wife said the Cambodian General(I'm guessing she meant Prime Minister) that greeted people from the Cruise is now infected. I can't find any news about it though.

Wwg1wga

the reason behind their lies about the real scale of coronavirus outbreak. :

Global recession, a European banking crisis and a crash in the U.S. capital markets will produce a global economic collapse which will almost certainly overwhelm any attempts—massive and coordinated as they may be—to turn the tide by over-stretched central banks and over-indebted governments.
This is, why the coronavirus outbreak should be treated for what it is: a potential harbinger of human and economic calamity.

Coronavirus Will Trigger an Epic Stock Market Crash, Warns ‘Godfather’ Analyst.

Butz

Banned

Yeah so far there's less than 2k infected outside of China rn and ppl already talking about every single person on the planet getting infected.

NASDAQ now negative for the year
S&P 500 down 3%
10 year treasury yield down to record lows..

The economic issues will dovetail with people actually getting sick, and it'll make both worse.

SpartanN92

Banned
Is there any data on the mortality rate for infants? I keep hearing that the elderly are at greater risk, but I’ve heard nothing about children <1 year.

Edit: First time dad of a 6 month old. I live in Kentucky so I’m not too worried but it still crosses my mind several times a day.

Last edited:
Is there any data on the mortality rate for infants? I keep hearing that the elderly are at greater risk, but I’ve heard nothing about children <1 year.

Everything I've seen (and I's seens a lots) says those under 10 are actually quite safe. Really I'd say anything under 40 should be fine, outside of other issues (lack of healthcare, preexisting conditions, etc).

I think we've only seen a few kids get sick and die, officially.

Damn. I'm expecting the first case in Morocco any day now. I started stocking food but can't find respiratory masks online.

The people saying this virus is like flu, the issue is not just about the virus but supply chains. Once panic kicks in, grocery stores and supermarkets will run out of food. Even if the government delivers rations, they'll have to wait in line for a long time and will riot when they get too hungry. Hunger will make society descend into madness. This is especially likely in third world countries who are less organized and equipped to deal with this scenario.

Kadayi

Banned
The Flu has a Case Fatality Rate of around 0.1%. 1-2% is 10 to 20 times worse than the regular Flu. In Wuhan it's closer to 3-4%.

And that's with medical treatment. People aren't factoring that aspect in. Without it I suspect it would be a lot higher.

The inherent problem with using a raw percentage though is that people struggle to understand the numbers. 3-4% roughly translates to 1 in every 29 people or to use a couple of population figures with London alone you'd be looking at around 315K dead (9 million populace) and the UK as a whole would be around 2.4 million (62.5 million).

The only reason China has been able to keep a lid on things is down to what amounts to a state of martial law. I just don't think many other countries, especially in Europe of Africa are remotely capable of keeping a handle on this.

I was supposed to be meeting up with some friends for a shindig in London next month but given the news about Italy etc, I've noped out of that because I fully expect London will become compromised within the month and albeit I dare say I'd probably be fine I'd rather not become a carrier and impact other peoples lives. I don't need that shit on my conscience.

Sejan

Edit: First time dad of a 6 month old. I live in Kentucky so I’m not too worried but it still crosses my mind several times a day.

In the study of tens f thousands of cases from China, they didn’t actually report a single death for children under 10. I have an 18 month old and I feel pretty safe with him. Be prepared, practice good hygiene, and don’t panic.

eot

Banned
Fuck, it hit my country. I have a lot of PTO I could burn to ride this out in the countryside but I'm not sure it's worth it. Started stocking up on stuff that doesn't spoil tho. Better safe than sorry.

GAMETA

Banned
Because not everyone on this planet is going to be infected.
Of course not, but doesn't mean 2% can't be significant considering the disease can spread fast.

And again, 2% only among treated patients. Untreated mortality is much higher.

Siri

Banned
Iran is the first big threat here, because all the other countries are reacting, whereas Iran, being in denial, is doing next to nothing.

And that's with medical treatment. People aren't factoring that aspect in. Without it I suspect it would be a lot higher.

The inherent problem with using a raw percentage though is that people struggle to understand the numbers. 3-4% roughly translates to 1 in every 29 people or to use a couple of population figures with London alone you'd be looking at around 315K dead (9 million populace) and the UK as a whole would be around 2.4 million (62.5 million).

The only reason China has been able to keep a lid on things is down to what amounts to a state of martial law. I just don't think many other countries, especially in Europe of Africa are remotely capable of keeping a handle on this.

I was supposed to be meeting up with some friends for a shindig in London next month but given the news about Italy etc, I've noped out of that because I fully expect London will become compromised within the month and albeit I dare say I'd probably be fine I'd rather not become a carrier and impact other peoples lives. I don't need that shit on my conscience.

You CAN make the case either way, so the truth and actuality is probably somewhere in the middle. Will all 9 million in London get it? No, probably not. So the CFR would only be a % of the % that actually get it in London.

*IF* we're taking China at it's word, and only 64,786 out of the 58,500,000 people in Hubei Province came down with the disease, that's only a 0.01% chance of even catching it, and 3% CFR makes catching it AND dying from it a MINUSCULE chance in the grand scheme of things. BUT, this is assuming the numbers are correct, and it doesn't really factor in outbreak equations, where perhaps 1 part of town (YOUR PART OF TOWN!) is hardest hit, while other areas might have no one sick.

Personally I'm still at the twiddling my thumbs stage of panic. I'm not super old, I don't have preexisting conditions, and don't live or work in a place with a high traffic volume of people... but I absolutely keeping an eye on things to see how this plays out.

Ornlu

Banned
Because not everyone on this planet is going to be infected.
Of course not, but doesn't mean 2% can't be significant considering the disease can spread fast.

And again, 2% only among treated patients. Untreated mortality is much higher.

Ok, riddle me this...is there anyone in the entire developed world who has gone through a full life without getting the flu? Barring vaccines, that number is going to be pretty small, due to how connected the world is now.

Given that premise, we have a virus that is roughly 10x as fatal as the normal flu, and no current vaccine ready for mass-market deployment....wouldn't it be logical that within a year it will have made its' way around the (very connected) globe, and kill a lot of people?

Chaplain

Here is one of the best internet websites for realtime COVID-19 stats provided by Johns Hopkins University:
88075230_10219780890286709_3075703669249802240_o.jpg

Other helpful links:

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Ok, riddle me this...is there anyone in the entire developed world who has gone through a full life without getting the flu? Barring vaccines, that number is going to be pretty small, due to how connected the world is now.

Given that premise, we have a virus that is roughly 10x as fatal as the normal flu, and no current vaccine ready for mass-market deployment....wouldn't it be logical that within a year it will have made its' way around the (very connected) globe, and kill a lot of people?
Yeah guess I'm gonna panick now we're all going to die earth is doomed

Here is one of the best internet websites for realtime COVID-19 stats provided by Johns Hopkins University:
88075230_10219780890286709_3075703669249802240_o.jpg

Other helpful links:

I'd also throw in BNO

They source most everything and update #s right away. The John Hopkins takes a little bit sometimes.

I think BNO is like 75% of the tweets referenced in this thread since they're so timely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom