• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdo

Banned
My test was negative.

But now the government and a US company called TransUnion have my DNA samples and info.

Last edited:
Covid causes (among other things) pneumonia which causes death. A certain number of the people would have gotten pneumonia from a different disease but it's impossible to say how many. It also depends how you register the death of someone with both covid and pneumonia.

Yeah people die of pneumonia as a direct consequence of covid-19 infection, but we should not pretend that people no longer die of pneumonia as consequence of different original causes, hence why that significant reduction sounds weird as If the number of Death of pneumonia exclusively was somehow transfered.

We should check the annual Death average in the Last 5 years.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my 6-yo niece is on the front lines, just started going back to school in person. meanwhile my office is closed through the rest of the year. damn i feel so proud of her! the slow opening of schools is scary but it's at a crucial moment in her life so im glad we are trying.

diffusionx

Gold Member
By the time Brazil has registered 100k Death of covid-19, according to official medical data, there has been about 35k less Death of pneumonia compared to the same period of 2019.

Its almost like a great portion of people who died due to pneumonia Last years, suddenly no longer die of it exclusively, It need to have that covid-19 PLUS special edition.

What your guys thoughts on this?

What i think is that, hospitals, and doctors are incentivized to gin up more COVID cases and are doing so.

manfestival

I really do home some ground breaking resolution for dealing with viruses comes out of this. The amount of studying and research that has been happening is incredible for this virus. I mean I hope that there have already been some covid unrelated breakthroughs that have already happened but not been as publicized

Joe T.

A supplementary theory I stumbled across on a Twitter thread that helps explain the regional numbers in Asia - it's not their adherence to guidelines - first message here starts it and the last message sums things up:

The cold/covid protection theory's come up many times since the pandemic started and hasn't been dismissed yet, a summary of that here for anyone that hasn't seen it:

Last edited:

thefool

heterogeneous-immunity has been widely studied and yes, it's very likely that other coronavirus gives us protections, this isn't a twitter theory but vast scientific research about the fact. Example:

We demonstrate a range of pre-existing memory CD4+ T cells that are cross-reactive with comparable affinity to SARS-CoV-2 and the common cold coronaviruses HCoV-OC43, HCoV-229E, HCoV-NL63, or HCoV-HKU1. Thus, variegated T cell memory to coronaviruses that cause the common cold may underlie at least some of the extensive heterogeneity observed in COVID-19 disease.

The cases comparison is a bit bogus because
a) serological tests showed a vast under-reporting of cases back in february-april,
b) low incidence (the situation rn compared with a couple of months ago) of the disease with mass testing will give you too much false positives. A test specificity of 99,9% and a 0,1% incidence will give you around 50% of false positives. This is basic math (1M sample, real positives 1K, false positives around 999 (actually more than 50%, because the sensitivity of the test isn't 100%, so less real positives)) The oms did a study about the prevalence of the disease in a random community and discusses the situation when positive cases never end even if the disease is eradicated.

Even in a purely hypothetical situation that the virus is not circulating, a test specificity of 99,9% would be associated with an expected number of positive tests that is approximately equal to that we observed over the entire study period

Last edited:
I've been watching Texas on Worldometers, and wondering why it's not getting much better. What I've noticed is pretty fascinating/frustrating. I mean, you have your obvious Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso, but once you go beyond the big cities you have a bunch of relatively small counties, bordering Mexico, who all exploded in cases at the same time Mexico's case total's took off.

Hidalgo, Cameron, Webb, Maverick, Starr, they all have ridiculously high % positive tests for COVID-19, and they all have an inordinate amount of deaths compared to their relative population sizes. Hidalgo county is #2 in deaths behind only Harris(Houston) in the state, in spite of being the 8th largest county. Cameron is 5th in deaths in spite of being #13 in size.

Most days these 5 counties comprise a very large percentage of the total deaths in Texas. Some days pushing upwards of 33% of the state deaths. They regularly get >20% positive COVID tests, having days with 50%(!) positive tests.

I don't know if these county cases and deaths include a lot of people crossing the border, or if something else is going on, but this pattern is not changing, and they are all climbing the charts.

Note that all the stories about how bad Texas hospitals were were centered around these counties as well.

Slaylock

From that same tweet:

EgYxYL3XsAAgcaT

diffusionx

Gold Member
Read the thread and make up your own mind.

The real question is how many people died in the US because governors and other elected officials, all Democrats, decided to play politics and effectively ban the treatment after Blumpf called it out HCQ.

And can those people be arrested and charged for murder and treason.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
The real question is how many people died in the US because governors and other elected officials, all Democrats, decided to play politics and effectively ban the treatment after Blumpf called it out HCQ.

And can those people be arrested and charged for murder and treason.

Quietly reverses the ban wonder why it was done at the dead of night with no media attention.

Anyways hope your ready for plasma bans coming soon. Media has been working in overdrive to discredit plasma since Trump made his big announcement.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Read the thread and make up your own mind.

Perhaps it’s worth mentioning all of those countries have far lower Covid case counts than the USA, which would more easily explain the differences in mortality.

Also worth mentioning that the tweeter is using outdated information. For example, Korea, China, and Taiwan only recommended HCQ initially and have all removed it from their treatment guidelines as it’s been proven that it doesn’t work. I’m not familiar with the guidelines of the other countries, but they’re likely following the same trend. Comparing guidelines from February and March but comparing overall death numbers is a poor argument, since American
guidelines also supported the use of HCQ until mid June. It’s very possible that the USA actually used more HCQ than all of those countries.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Perhaps it’s worth mentioning all of those countries have far lower Covid case counts than the USA, which would more easily explain the differences in mortality.

Also worth mentioning that the tweeter is using outdated information. For example, Korea, China, and Taiwan only recommended HCQ initially and have all removed it from their treatment guidelines as it’s been proven that it doesn’t work. I’m not familiar with the guidelines of the other countries, but they’re likely following the same trend. Comparing guidelines from February and March but comparing overall death numbers is a poor argument, since American
guidelines also supported the use of HCQ until mid June. It’s very possible that the USA actually used more HCQ than all of those countries.

all good points.

Just to add USA not healthy and fat. Also lack of Vit D, same in place like UK.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
all good points.

Just to add USA not healthy and fat. Also lack of Vit D, same in place like UK.

The UK is indeed fat, and in poorer areas diets are likely to be deficient in many nutrients including vitamin C which also has some importance. They’re also less likely to buy vitamin supplements.

Romulus

Hidalgo, Cameron, Webb, Maverick, Starr, they all have ridiculously high % positive tests for COVID-19, and they all have an inordinate amount of deaths compared to their relative population sizes. Hidalgo county is #2 in deaths behind only Harris(Houston) in the state, in spite of being the 8th largest county. Cameron is 5th in deaths in spite of being #13 in size.

Most days these 5 counties comprise a very large percentage of the total deaths in Texas. Some days pushing upwards of 33% of the state deaths. They regularly get >20% positive COVID tests, having days with 50%(!) positive tests.

I don't know if these county cases and deaths include a lot of people crossing the border, or if something else is going on, but this pattern is not changing, and they are all climbing the charts.

Note that all the stories about how bad Texas hospitals were were centered around these counties as well.

I live in one of those border towns and its indeed frightening. The funeral home where we just buried my dad couldn't even get us a date for services until 12 days after his death. Its fucking booked. On top of that, I had to help carry his body out of our house because the ambulances and funeral drivers are overworked here.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Sweden allowing gatherings up to 500 people (Quebec raised them to 250 earlier this month), heavy sarcasm in the Twitter message below:

Also:

"Our position in the World Health Organization is that the lockdown is a blunt instrument and you do everything possible not to keep a lockdown in place for too long. In fact, we're trying to encourage people not to use the term lockdown because it sounds really so massively damaging, even the word. Instead what we're saying, we've got to move from lockdown to having all the steps in place to be able to live with the virus."

A few takeaways from the 23 min interview between WHO Special Envoy Dr. David Nabarro and Ryan Bridge:

1. The WHO wants to change everyone's behavior in order to beat this virus. He didn't go into any detail, but anyone digging into past mask studies will know masks don't really mitigate the spread of communicable diseases in public settings, what they do is serve as an indicator that you're following better hygiene. If you're wearing a mask you're signifying that you're following better hygiene. There was a recent news story/poll that went over this, though I can't remember the source.

2. Like many others before him, he cited Sweden's trust between government and its people as a key factor for their approach. As most in North America probably know that kind of trust is damn near impossible to achieve because of how hard the mainstream media works to keep us at each others' throats.

3. Most importantly, he was (thankfully) pressed on whether everyone should ideally find themselves moving toward's Sweden's approach and conceded that's indeed the case because:

4. Where vaccine development is concerned, he's "overjoyed" with the level of cooperation between countries, "extraordinary, never seen anything like it," but the plan should be to prepare to live with this virus for the long haul, 2.5 years in his words. Mentions that poor countries should get vaccinated first.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The UK is indeed fat, and in poorer areas diets are likely to be deficient in many nutrients including vitamin C which also has some importance. They’re also less likely to buy vitamin supplements.

Not in the same proportion tho

UK is like 1-2 out of 10 people are fat

US is like 7-8 out of 10 people are fat

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Even France is like fuck that shit.

Tour de France and schools are still on. 6K cases and red zones everywhere.

Masks mandatory now but there won't be anymore lockdowns.

Don't worry one day when the election is over everyone will look back and realize this lockdown madness was a huge mistake and we indebted future generations over a mass hysteria.

lock2k

Banned
I decided not to care anymore, I mean, I'm taking care of myself but I ain't scared. I went to the mall several times, I go to the park everyday, I ate out twice, I mean, fuck it. Let's live for god (or satan) sake.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Don't worry one day when the election is over everyone will look back and realize this lockdown madness was a huge mistake and we indebted future generations over a mass hysteria.

The lockdown hysteria is misguided. Economic and virology Experts have been saying from the get go we only have one chance at the lockdown. Once we open up, that's it, there is no going back, which is why we had to make it worthwhile (we didn't). Another lockdown was never in the cards. It's just fear mongering from both sides at this point.

McHuj

Not in the same proportion tho

UK is like 1-2 out of 10 people are fat

US is like 7-8 out of 10 people are fat

It's a lot higher than that. The UK is trying to catchup to the US. I think the UK may be the fattest of the European countries.

Data from the Health Survey for England (HSE) conducted in 2018 indicated that 31% of adults in the United Kingdom were recognised as clinically obese with a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 30.[2] 63% of adults were classified as overweight or obese (a body mass index of 25 or above), compared to 53% in 1993.[2] More than two-thirds of men and 6 in 10 women were overweight or obese.[2] 15% of children aged between 2 and 15 years (inclusive) were obese and an additional 13% of children were overweight.[2]

diffusionx

Gold Member
The lockdown hysteria is misguided. Economic and virology Experts have been saying from the get go we only have one chance at the lockdown. Once we open up, that's it, there is no going back, which is why we had to make it worthwhile (we didn't). Another lockdown was never in the cards. It's just fear mongering from both sides at this point.

What would have made the lockdown "worthwhile"? Remember we can't eradicate the virus with a lockdown, and the initial justification was to flatten the curve. The problem was, pretty much every place in the US except for New York didn't need to be flattened. Also, nobody accounted for the fact that Democrats would support mass protests, violence, rioting, and looting even if it meant case counts exploded after (which they did).

The lockdown was a waste of time, of course, but it was always going to be a waste of time.

TheContact

my 6-yo niece is on the front lines, just started going back to school in person. meanwhile my office is closed through the rest of the year. damn i feel so proud of her! the slow opening of schools is scary but it's at a crucial moment in her life so im glad we are trying.

I thought long and hard about whether or not to bring my kids back to school and ultimately decided against it. I saw the way the classrooms were set up, they can't go to recess, they can't go to gym, they have to stay at their desk surrounded by plexi-glass...might as well just stay home.

I thought long and hard about whether or not to bring my kids back to school and ultimately decided against it. I saw the way the classrooms were set up, they can't go to recess, they can't go to gym, they have to stay at their desk surrounded by plexi-glass...might as well just stay home.
That sucks. My son just started kindergarten and its fairly normal outside of the masks. But its also half day, which was always the plan in our district. I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

Stouffers

Banned
My wife’s coworker has it. They shared a jar of jellybeans a few days before testing positive. My wife is getting a test Monday. I have my 4th next week, but I’m required to have regular swabs for work.

sinnergy

What would have made the lockdown "worthwhile"? Remember we can't eradicate the virus with a lockdown, and the initial justification was to flatten the curve. The problem was, pretty much every place in the US except for New York didn't need to be flattened. Also, nobody accounted for the fact that Democrats would support mass protests, violence, rioting, and looting even if it meant case counts exploded after (which they did).

The lockdown was a waste of time, of course, but it was always going to be a waste of time.
Its not , it’s used to relieve pressure from the heath care system , in the early stages and when done right you can ride out The rest of the 1,5 years that are classic for pandemics, go back in history and see how things panned out for us cities that didn’t lock down with Spanish Flu or didn’t acknowledge that they had a problem and implemented measures to late...

You will see that what you now see in the us is what happens and there are more deads than needed.

Its pretty easy to google and read up on this topic.

If we let it go here in the Netherlands we would have had 60k dead in 3 months and a complete collapse of the health care system , it’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Actually they hope they don’t need a national lock down again ... that’s the official word from France , and if people behave and follow the simple rules and use masks it can work.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Sure when flu season starts ... in some parts of the world , don’t bet on it . But it looks like most countries have it under control with measures.

"With measures." About that...

The measures most countries adopted were blunt instruments, to quote one of the WHO's special envoys, and were only implemented because governments were in the dark (thanks in part to the CCP's cover-up) while being led to believe this would be a much deadlier virus. We've learned too much over the course of the year to think that mandatory masks and blanket lockdowns were/are a net benefit to society, the data continues reinforcing that daily. That hasn't prevented many governments from threatening to impose them and New Zealand, one of the countries viewed as having an exemplary response, is currently enacting a second lockdown in their largest city.

According to a former NYT writer there's a Danish study on mask efficacy against this virus that was submitted to a major international scientific journal in early August, was peer reviewed and is still awaiting publication (Twitter link). Curious, don't you think? I found this clinical trial tied to Denmark which was initially supposed to end in June, I assume it's the same one being referenced.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Its not , it’s used to relieve pressure from the heath care system , in the early stages and when done right you can ride out The rest of the 1,5 years that are classic for pandemics, go back in history and see how things panned out for us cities that didn’t lock down with Spanish Flu or didn’t acknowledge that they had a problem and implemented measures to late...

You will see that what you now see in the us is what happens and there are more deads than needed.

Its pretty easy to google and read up on this topic.

If we let it go here in the Netherlands we would have had 60k dead in 3 months and a complete collapse of the health care system , it’s not rocket science.

Nah, you wouldn't have. The health care "collapse" thing was pure fear mongering, it wasn't going to happen. The models they used to sell that line were complete garbage and proven to be almost immediately. This is NOT the Spanish Flu. Anyway, the key point here, is that you are describing "flattening the curve", however, the issue is, as I said in the post you replied to, many places didn't have a curve to flatten, which means the lockdown in those places were a waste of time. The time for a lockdown in California would have been after the protests, when the virus really started to spread in the area.

Last edited:
I have only skimmed the thread but didn't see any mention of people getting infected a 2nd time.
That's because as of right now, we have 2 documented, potential cases of reinfection. 2. In the world. There are more people being struck by lightning for the second time just today. Its interesting in terms of how things might work immunity wise. But anyone who is concerned about it should also be way more concerned about going outside in a thunderstorm.

The pandemic is gonna be over by November. Probs.

When Flu/Cold season starts up again I expect every cold/flu death to be attributed to COVID to fear-monger. They'll hope most people don't realize that we have annual deaths from flu/cold season. Since before COVID such things didn't really get airtime on the news it might even work.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
When Flu/Cold season starts up again I expect every cold/flu death to be attributed to COVID to fear-monger. They'll hope most people don't realize that we have annual deaths from flu/cold season. Since before COVID such things didn't really get airtime on the news it might even work.
Sure when flu season starts ... in some parts of the world , don’t bet on it . But it looks like most countries have it under control with measures.
I was actually trying to make a shitty joke about the US elections and such.

We we are going to find out really soon whether immunity lasts 6 months or not. Take a look at Italy's case numbers:

We will either see a measurable number of reinfections or we won't. That will tell us something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom