• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

Peff

Lakitu said:
It's kind of hard to tell if it's a bridge or not in the grand scheme of things considering we don't know where it's supposed to be placed in Mass Effect 2's timeline. If it is at the very end then it bridges fine because
the assumption is that ME 3 won't start with a Reaper invasion, rather, your trial on Earth.

We'll see, but
that final dialogue with Hackett didn't really come off as too urgent, given that one of the responses is "Yup, I'll turn myself in after I finish my mission". Then again I'm not sure Bioware would have the balls to have such a downer ending, so it might be the beginning of ME3 after all.

Lakitu said:
It's kind of hard to tell if it's a bridge or not in the grand scheme of things considering we don't know where it's supposed to be placed in Mass Effect 2's timeline. If it is at the very end then it bridges fine because
the assumption is that ME 3 won't start with a Reaper invasion, rather, your trial on Earth.

As I understand it, it's playable as soon as you complete Horizon, so I think it's safe to say it takes place before you head into the Relay in ME2.

ME3 will probably start
with you going to Earth to stand trial. And going by the shots in that teaser, everyone, including old party favourite, Ashley, the IM, et-al, it looks like the Reaper attack starts as your trial starts/finishes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Genesis Knight said:
Goddammit is this more ME DLC you can't access from a cleared save game and have to start a new save for?

All ME2 DLC can be played post end game.

Y'know, I think I would've rather
This ended with Hackett showing up as he does, thanking you, but then Alliance Marines boarding the Normandy, taking you into custody and taking you back to earth. My reasoning is I'd rather this had been an actual post-game only DLC which closed off any further quests at the end. It'd feel more like a 'full' ending, then.
Still good fun but combat heavy, mind you.

Speedymanic said:
Earth or Illium? Looks a little like Illium. Either way, I can't f'ing wait.

Is there any reason that doesn't play when you complete Arrival? I was honestly expecting a teaser but was instead of greeted by the mission complete screen.

It's definitely Illium. It's the same view as this; http://i.imgur.com/mVpXi.jpg

gdt

Goddammit.

I had no idea that you had to have all of the ME2 DLC installed to play this. Now I gotta re-download EVERYTHING. Should take 2-3 hours :/. Dammit.

Edit: Hmm, more like one hour/hour and a half.

Plasma

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Goddammit.

I had no idea that you had to have all of the ME2 DLC installed to play this. Now I gotta re-download EVERYTHING. Should take 2-3 hours :/. Dammit.

What do you mean by all the DLC? I'm missing the Terminus Gear but surely that won't stop me playing :/

Plasma said:
What do you mean by all the DLC? I'm missing the Terminus Gear but surely that won't stop me playing :/

It's probably because to load a save where you've completed Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker, Zaeed etc you have to have them installed, otherwise the game just boots you back to main menu. Anything that adds to the Codex or the Journal has to remain installed to load that save.

gdt

Plasma said:

What APZ said.

All previously played story DLC has to be installed. Had no idea.

Clott

I can't wait to fly home tonight and try things out, haven't played any of the dlc, I wanted to wait for all of it to come out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clott said:
I can't wait to fly home tonight and try things out, haven't played any of the dlc, I wanted to wait for all of it to come out.
If you enjoyed ME2 then you should enjoy them all. Shadow Broker is especially good.

Lakitu

st5fu
I really really hope the
sacrifice of 300,000 Batarians to destroy the Relay
isn't just a mere footnote in Mass Effect 3. I know there's the Reaper invasion, but I want
Mordin to grill my Shepard and call him a hypocrite, since my main character accused Mordin of genocide.

I want it to have an impact on the characters I'm with and even the story.

Mindlog

Oh my.

So many dead Batarians.

By the measure this is the most successful DLC in the series. 4 out of 4 eyes gouged. My Sheppard wasn't smiling enough through the whole mission.

Ramma2

Added it to the download queue from Xbox.com, for tonight. I wish there was a way to wake up the Xbox from here and get it downloading.

Peff

Turns out it wasn't a teaser after all!

Update: It's bad end of "Arrival" if you let the timer get to zero (after death of Dr. Kenson).

Lothars

Lakitu said:
I really really hope the
sacrifice of 300,000 Batarians to destroy the Relay
isn't just a mere footnote in Mass Effect 3. I know there's the Reaper invasion, but I want
Mordin to grill my Shepard and call him a hypocrite, since my main character accused Mordin of genocide.

I want it to have an impact on the characters I'm with and even the story.

I hope so to and I think it will, it's gonna be interesting to see how Mass Effect 3 is with all of this.

I can't wait either way.

Axiom

I rather enjoyed it, had proper story progression and consequences. I didn't enjoy the combat a great deal, and there's a lot of it but I wish all the paid DLC had been like this storyline wise.

I like a good side quest, and I guess this is probably going to be just a side-quest when ME3 comes along but it felt essential to the ME1 storyline at least.

Peff said:
Turns out it wasn't a teaser after all!

Update: It's bad end of "Arrival" if you let the timer get to zero (after death of Dr. Kenson).
There was a timer?
I never saw that. :lol

What happens if the 'bad ending' is triggered, anyways?
Shepard dies and the game is over?

Mindlog

Blue Ninja said:
What happens if the 'bad ending' is triggered, anyways?
Shepard dies and the game is over?
The Batarian colony survives.
:[

It doesn't get much worse than that.

Melchiah

Anyone know when exatcly this will be available on EU PSN Store? I'm tired of checking the Store every few hours.

Mindlog said:

v5hzPm.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lakitu

st5fu
Mindlog said:

All I can imagine is
Batarian women and children getting obliterated.

Genocide is genocide.

Lakitu said:
All I can imagine is
Batarian women and children getting obliterated.

Genocide is genocide.
Wasn't the planet mostly a military base?

Nevertheless, I did feel bad about having them all die. I even did the "Warn Batarian Colonists"-option, but then the game killed 'em anyways.

I still have shadow broker to play (starting very soon) but picked up arrival, might as well complete the set and get max cheese mints.

Daft_Cat

Im pretty sure that Arrival takes place post game even though you can play it following Horizon. During the paragon ending
Shepard can ask Hackett why he'd come on board a Cerberus vessel, and Hackett responds that he had heard it wasn't Cerberus anymore.

He's clearly alluding to Shepard telling Illusive Man to get stuffed during the games paragon ending.

Arrival doesn't necessarily have to be played before Shadowbroker, Overlord, various side missions, which explains why Shepard says he'd get around to
the trial
as soon as he was done all his stuff.

By the way, good DLC. Not as enjoyable to play as Shadowbroker, and the ending felt less meaningful..However, the consequences are far wider reaching, and it sets up Mass 3 quite well.

jonabbey

I'm just hoping I can get my Shepherd up to level 30 by playing through this DLC. I've done absolutely everything in the game, including all the DLC that's come out so far, and I'm almost to level 29.

There's a trophy riding on this, Bioware.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jonabbey said:
I'm just hoping I can get my Shepherd up to level 30 by playing through this DLC. I've done absolutely everything in the game, including all the DLC that's come out so far, and I'm almost to level 29.

There's a trophy riding on this, Bioware.
NG+

Zeal

Banned
for those who already have it, or have completed it: will i be completely lost without first playing any previous DLC episodes?

Top Bottom