• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

EatChildren said:
No. There's only two main areas, and a third 'area' for the final run. None are really interesting.
You didn't like the last one? I thought it was one of the best looking areas in all of the mass effect content, up there with the shadow brokers ship.

Liquid Helium said:
You didn't like the last one? I thought it was one of the best looking areas in all of the mass effect content, up there with the shadow brokers ship.

Sky-box was pretty amaze, the actual area was bland/uninteresting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Liquid Helium said:

I liked the very, very last area for the visual vista it provided. I also liked the vistas outside of the windows on the second area. But the interiors were bland. I mostly hated the first area. It was boring as shit.

That last battle area and the vista is the only part I fondly remember, unlike Overlord, Kasumi, and Shadow Broker, where I remembered and enjoyed pretty much all of it.

Denzar

It was ok... but it reminded me that ME2's shooter gameplay is still pretty stiff.

Hope they make it more fluid in ME3. If you wanna go shooter, ME2's movement won't cut it in 2011 anymore.

Or they could go back to the way it was in ME1, felt more like an actual RPG, and the stiff shooting did not bother me at all.

Either way, I'm down. Arrival made me warm....again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arrival seems to be really a fucking lazy cash grab. It has none of the detail or effort that appear in the other three major DLCs.

Disappointing. Not worthy of 5 bucks much less 7.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Deepack said:
It was ok... but it reminded me that ME2's shooter gameplay is still pretty stiff.

Hope they make it more fluid in ME3. If you wanna go shooter, ME2's movement won't cut it in 2011 anymore.

Or they could go back to the way it was in ME1, felt more like an actual RPG, and the stiff shooting did not bother me at all.

Either way, I'm down. Arrival made me warm....again.

ME1 gameplay is not acceptable, even if they add in more customization or skills. ME2 is more responsive.

Everyone should really try running Adept. Its so much more fun than the standard shooting.

HK-47 said:
Arrival seems to be really a fucking lazy cash grab. It has none of the detail or effort that appear in the other three major DLCs.

Disappointing. Not worthy of 5 bucks much less 7.

Yup it really was a cash grab, and I knew that going in and bought it anyway because I'm a sucker for ME and Bioware knows it.

EatChildren said:
Mixed in or after, your choice. The only differences are a couple of aesthetics and some dialogue. The experience will largely be the same either way.

So, I can choose to play it after the final mission of ME2? Interesting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck, I want to play this so much right now. I haven't read any impressions yet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
whatevermort said:
So, I can choose to play it after the final mission of ME2? Interesting.

You can do any of the non story focused missions after ME2 ends, including all of the DLC as well as the standard side quests that ship with the game.

HK-47's description as it being a 'cash-grab' are pretty spot on. As I said, I'd describe it as 'half-arsed'. Where Kasumi, Overlord, and Shadow Broker developed an identity, and were complete with memorable moments and characters (to varying degrees), Arrival is largely devoid of any of this.

All the environments, except for the final vista, are uninteresting and very in asset use. The level design is by-the-books, even for Mass Effect 2 standard. There's an almost exclusive focus on combat, and even that is unexciting thank's to reused assets, no unique enemies, and bland arena design. The story does have some good moments and a decent arc, but is still thin on developments, with certain dialogue lines and a particular confrontation coming across as quite unimpressive and forced. The cutscenes were also animated poorly.

The kind of polish and effort that went into even shorter stuff like Kasumi just isn't here. As the final hurrah to Mass Effect 2, and a piece of bridging content, it is very disappointing. I'm a pretty big Mass Effect fan, and I would rank this down the lower end of Mass Effect 2's mission quality.

EatChildren said:
You can do any of the non story focused missions after ME2 ends, including all of the DLC as well as the standard side quests that ship with the game.

HK-47's description as it being a 'cash-grab' are pretty spot on. As I said, I'd describe it as 'half-arsed'. Where Kasumi, Overlord, and Shadow Broker developed an identity, and were complete with memorable moments and characters (to varying degrees), Arrival is largely devoid of any of this.

All the environments, except for the final vista, are uninteresting and very in asset use. The level design is by-the-books, even for Mass Effect 2 standard. There's an almost exclusive focus on combat, and even that is unexciting thank's to reused assets, no unique enemies, and bland arena design. The story does have some good moments and a decent arc, but is still thin on developments, with certain dialogue lines and a particular confrontation coming across as quite unimpressive and forced. The cutscenes were also animated poorly.

The kind of polish and effort that went into even shorter stuff like Kasumi just isn't here. As the final hurrah to Mass Effect 2, and a piece of bridging content, it is very disappointing. I'm a pretty big Mass Effect fan, and I would rank this down the lower end of Mass Effect 2's mission quality.

I'm a ME whore and probably end buying it, but this sucks, after revealing the price I knew it wouldn't be very meaty, but after all the impressions it really surpassed my worst expectations...maybe I was hoping too much from Bioware....

Yasae said:
tl;dr: Lance Henriksen is getting expensive these days.
Exactly what I thought. I doubt they said "Hey, let's make a DLC where you're alone fighting hordes of enemies!". They said "Hey, let's bring Admiral Hackett back", and when they saw his voice-acting fee took up half of the DLC budget they quickly dialed the rest back.

Or something like that. :lol

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
All the environments, except for the final vista, are uninteresting and very in asset use. The level design is by-the-books, even for Mass Effect 2 standard. There's an almost exclusive focus on combat, and even that is unexciting thank's to reused assets, no unique enemies, and bland arena design.
The first area is ME's first attempt at an alternative to shoot shoot shoot. It fell way short, but at least it shows progress.

The second area reminded me of a better realized Noveria. However, I don't quite understand why a secret base in enemy territory has windows and is lit up like a goddamn christmas tree.

This is definitely the weakest non-Cerberus DLC offering. An achievement for not shooting Batarians is a major step back for the series.

EatChildren

Mindlog said:
The first area is ME's first attempt at an alternative to shoot shoot shoot. It fell way short, but at least it shows progress.

I would say that the Firewalker sections of Overlord and the party sequence in Kasumi do the alternative far better though. I never got the sense I was drawn into the world here, and in terms of stealth it fell so flat that I didn't realise it was the stealth part until I had finished the damn thing.

Mindlog said:

Just walking through empty linear hallways? I too didn't even realize it was supposed to be a stealth sequence, as nothing different happened when I triggered an alarm.

Wallach

Just finished it myself. Shit should have been free through Cerberus Network. Just read about the spoilers and save your seven bucks unless you're like me and want to complete your DLC set.

It's not that it was awful to actually play through or a chore or something, but it was seven bucks. It's basically on the same level as the Hammerhead missions that came free through Cerberus Network; I can't think of any other paid story DLC that I wouldn't recommend over this.

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
I would say that the Firewalker sections of Overlord and the party sequence in Kasumi do the alternative far better though. I never got the sense I was drawn into the world here, and in terms of stealth it fell so flat that I didn't realise it was the stealth part until I had finished the damn thing.
I liked Kasumi's mission, but it was also pretty straightforward. The only branch I remember is choosing to hop in through the window.

Just so I know I'm not going crazy, there was no mention of the
Alpha Relay
after Kenson talks about it in the shuttle?

Sucks they'd go the trouble of mentioning it but not explaining it.

EatChildren

Mindlog said:
I liked Kasumi's mission, but it was also pretty straightforward. The only branch I remember is choosing to hop in through the window.

Totally, but it was still really involving and interesting. It was a nice set piece. Even though this had 'choices', there was no weight behind them, and the differences in level nagivation weren't exactly stimulating.

It really felt like a fan mod or something to me. A slapped together environment, where choices devolve down to the path on the right or the path on the left. I might not have been doing a lot of shooting, but I still didn't want to be there, unlike the party in Kasumi or the Hammerhead platforming in Overlord.

Speedymanic said:
Alpha Relay

It's just an 'all acces pass' to the galaxy. Citadel 2.0. Reapers fly in, arrive at Alpha Relay, and it gives them access to all the other relays. ~fin

Wallach

Speedymanic said:
Alpha Relay

Not that I recall really, although the very end of the DLC seems to imply that what little was mentioned regarding that was true at least.

On a side note I figured you'd at least get an achievement at the end, like
Bowling for Batarians
or something. Weak.

So whats the over/under on all of the DLC's in general? I played through ME2 twice, and really enjoyed it. ME3 is one of my more anticipated games. Never dove into the DLC though. So what do you say? Is it worth it?

Duderz

Banned
I just finished it, and generally agree with most points - way too focused on combat, environments are bland, but the choices presented and the way it ends is interesting, and I can see how it will bridge ME3. The music is fantastic though, definitely harkens back to more Vangelis and ME1.

It's just an 'all acces pass' to the galaxy. Citadel 2.0. Reapers fly in, arrive at Alpha Relay, and it gives them access to all the other relays. ~fin

My understanding is, this Alpha Relay is the closest one to where the Reapers are located, and like every other Mass Effect relay, can transport them to all parts of the galaxy. So...isn't every Mass Effect relay then a Citadel 2.0? Or am I missing something? The only reason why they'd target the Citadel in the first is because it's basically the cradle of civilization here.

ToyMachine228 said:
So whats the over/under on all of the DLC's in general? I played through ME2 twice, and really enjoyed it. ME3 is one of my more anticipated games. Never dove into the DLC though. So what do you say? Is it worth it?

You must get Lair of the Shadow Broker, no question about it. Kasumi's DLC has no bearing on the overall plot, but it's paced so well, and Kasumi is a great addition to the team so I'd spring for that too. Overlord is probably the meatiest of the DLC, and brings back ME1's planet faring and does it so much better. I'd only buy this if you're already big into the ME universe.

Melchiah

AlStrong said:
Just check the list of assignments here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Assignments#Mass_Effect_2. Note that some are multi-part missions requiring an earlier one. The links tell you which system and planet to visit.

Thanks again for the tip. I had missed about ten N7 missions, and I managed to get the Power Gamer trophy by completing them.

On a side note, when the fuck is the DLC coming to EU PSN Store?! If it's going to be released later here, eventhough the launch date was set to 29th (20 minutes until the 30th as I'm wiriting this), it's a nice showing of middle finger to European customers from Bioware/EA.

angelfly

Just finished it and while I really like that it creates a bridge from ME2 to ME3 I have to say that after LotSB I was really disappointed with this.

Pollux

Relaxed Muscle said:
I'm a ME whore and probably end buying it, but this sucks, after revealing the price I knew it wouldn't be very meaty, but after all the impressions it really surpassed my worst expectations...maybe I was hoping too much from Bioware....

After DA2 your standards for Bioware should have dropped dramatically.

Wallach

Duderz said:
My understanding is, this Alpha Relay is the closest one to where the Reapers are located, and like every other Mass Effect relay, can transport them to all parts of the galaxy. So...isn't every Mass Effect relay then a Citadel 2.0? Or am I missing something? The only reason why they'd target the Citadel in the first is because it's basically the cradle of civilization here.

It's not really like the Citadel itself. The Citadel as a relay only has one connection point, which is out in deep space. I think he's referring to the primary relay that is near the Citadel, which has multiple primary partners. Otherwise though it still behaves like the other primary relays, in that it has limited connection points. The reason it was set up that way was so that any sentient life would eventually find the Citadel, because their "arm" of relay connections would connect to the primary relay in the Citadel's system. It isn't like the description of the Alpha relay, though, because from the sounds of it that one is literally capable of form a direct connection to any other relay in the galaxy.

Duderz said:

Taken from the Mass Effect Wiki: There are two kinds of mass relay, primary and secondary. Primary relays can send a ship hundreds of light years but only link to one other relay, its "partner". Secondary relays can link to any other relay over shorter distances.

So...

As far as I understood it, the Alpha Relay acted like a Primary Relay except that instead of having just a single destination point, it can connect to ANY other Primary Relay.

Lothars

zmoney said:

Mine haven't, I still hold them to high standards and I think everyone should as well but it sounds like this DLC has some great moments and I can't wait to play it.

MedIC86

Did anyone take the option to save the batarian colony ? does that alter the ending in any way ? also nice way of them to link ME2 to the events in the ME3 trailer, cuz sheppard is going to earth

zmoney said:

Da2? what Da2? that never happended right? Bioware <3

squicken

Ah forgot about this thread. I posted my main issue in the spoiler thread. As far as gameplay and design it was half assed. Any time the series goes combat heavy it is worse for it

TheUsual

Gold Member
MedIC86 said:
Did anyone take the option to save the batarian colony ? does that alter the ending in any way ? also nice way of them to link ME2 to the events in the ME3 trailer, cuz sheppard is going to earth
I took the option, but nothing changes.

Overall, this DLC was "meh." It felt like filler with nothing significant to contribute to the overall story.

Finished it - it was alright. . . obviously if you are a Mass Effect fan you have to play it. But you could miss it no problem.

I never played Overlord or Kasumi - which one should I get first?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, I'm dissapointed.

First, going solo shows that Mass Effect 2 doesn't cut it as TPS. You can't chain biotics combos without your squadmates and command them to attack people so they could aggro them. Core mechanics aren't as responsive as they should be but it was less obvious with your squadmates.

Second, environments are nothing special. Tight quarters which are good for shotgun firefights and nothing else. No vistas, just bland corridors. Well, all levels were done by one man, so this may explain something.

Third, gameplay isn't up to par with previous DLCs. I felt pumped going through combat scenarios in previous DLCs, but here they were annoying.

Fourth, I knew the twist before it happened. It was so obvious that I couldn't believe that they really gonna do this. Also writing is worse than usual. Mass Effect has its usual dose of space opera pathos, but it somehow managed to keep it acceptable. Here it sounds just stupid. "We're gonna fight and this will show you!" - "Fuck you too!". Yeah...

Also again no mention of other races in the upcoming fight, just fucking humans, dammit. And why the fuck the Earth and not Citadel is a centre of everything again? ARGH.

I had spare points in my Bioware account, so no loss.

Redeeming points: there were some choices, it continues the main plotline.

I'm happy that DLC is done by a separate team and doesn't show what we can expect from ME3. But previous DLC was done by the same team I suppose and it was beautiful and badass.

Don't buy this, youtube it or read wiki.

subversus

Darknessbear said:
Finished it - it was alright. . . obviously if you are a Mass Effect fan you have to play it. But you could miss it no problem.

They're both good, but I would get Overlord. I liked the story better.

MedIC86

Darknessbear said:

Get them both, but play Kasumi first. Overlord is IMO the best piece of DLC for ME2

Darknessbear said:

Overlord, the way they end off the DLC was fantastic, and the Hammerhead is fun as hell to use.

EatChildren

Darknessbear said:

Overlord is a series of missions, Kasumi is one mission. Overlord is thus much longer. Both are good. When you pay for Kasumi you're also paying for her character, so her value decreases if you have no intention of using her.

If you're just after some more stuff to play and enough of it, Overlord is the better choice.

subversus

EatChildren said:
The story does have some good moments and a decent arc, but is still thin on developments, with certain dialogue lines and a particular confrontation coming across as quite unimpressive and forced.

it seems that I'm not the only one dissapointed by this "confrontation".

EatChildren

subversus said:
it seems that I'm not the only one dissapointed by this "confrontation".

It didnt even need to be there.
It was like BioWare went "Oh! Reapers! Right! Throw some Reaper in to give the fans what they want." That would be okay if the writing for Harbinger was even remotely as impactful and strong as it was for Sovereign. Sovereign wasn't special, but his was able to convey the sense of unfathomable and impending doom. Harbingers dialogue was a sloppy.

CushVA

Eh, not all that great. Doesn't really add much to the story and aside from
wiping out the Batarian colonies
not sure how this impacts ME3. Two things

Admiral Hackett is one ugly dude

and

nice to see & talk to an actual Reaper again

Eh, I enjoyed it. Thought the price was fair too. Anyone want to calculate the total cost of Mass Effect 2? Let's see... Collector's Edition at 69.99, 3 20 oz. Dr. Peppers for the visor codes, all DLC day 1 except for the Appearance Packs and Inferno pack, and a $5 code off ebay for the Singularity Gun (best purchase of them all).

Prety much around $120. Mass Effect 2 is the first 2-game game ever!

Top Bottom