• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

megalowho said:
I had fun with it. Sets up some cool things for Mass Effect 3, and that's good enough for me.

Man I hope Shepard starts feeling the indoctrination at some point. He admitted having dreams to Hackett at the end, but brushed them off. That's how they getcha!

He did? Did I miss this?

jtb

Banned
shinobi602 said:
Doesn't matter,
what you did there will have an impact in ME3. Bioware even said this. Most likely something along the lines of, if you didn't play the DLC, the Reapers get there sooner, billions more people die as a result of being more unprepared, as opposed to delaying the invasion some and having significantly better preparations.

And I'm sure this information will show up as a text box or in email format, right?

the walrus said:
And I'm sure this information will show up as a text box or in email format, right?

Lol, don't know, possibly, but probably not.

I say this because, to be fair, the reason you got emails and texts, etc was because everything is being saved for ME3.

I know a lot of people were angry that you just get emails for decisions from ME1 in ME2, for example
Rachni queen just giving you a message. However, that choice you made in ME1 by saving her will have significant effects, meaning they will be there to help you or not in ME3.

Casey Hudson did say a lot of the consequences of things you did ME1 won't really show up in ME2, but will in ME3. So I have some hope.

Vamphuntr

zmoney said:
Any idea if Bioware will do a comic kind of thing for ME3 like they did for the PS3 release of ME2?

If you didn't pay us 25$ for our DLC here is the free solution to get every import bonus (crappy emails) for free. That would go well with the suckers that bought everything wouldn't it.

UltimaPooh said:
So the DLC is largely skippable until it drops in price?
For the most part, yes. It's cheap enough that I think it's okay as-is, but you're not really missing on anything you can't wait for a while longer.

Typographenia said:
For the most part, yes. It's cheap enough that I think it's okay as-is, but you're not really missing on anything you can't wait for a while longer.

Sounds good... hopefully they will have a deal on it before ME3 hits.

Put me in the 'it was pretty bad' camp.

It was not *awful*, but it was bad enough that it retroactively made me like ME2 a bit less.

Also I really regret playing this game on normal - I thought ME provided somewhat of a challenge (moderate, but still) in normal, but ME2 started easy and finished a total cakewalk (again, on normal). Pop in, freeze time, shoot them in the head, rinse and repeat.

Goon Boon

Banned
I hope if you didn't prepare in the previous two games, you're automatically guaranteed the shithouse ending where everything falls apart and everyone dies, ala the everyone dies ending in ME2.

Lothars

I would recommend to play it if anyone is on the fence, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It's not as good as Overlord or Lair of the Shadowbroker but it's as good as Kasumi, I do have so complaints such as I wish you could have been with a squadmate but the combat was fine and overall I don't regret buying it at all but if you wait for a price drop I don't blame you as well.

gdt

Goon Boon said:
I hope if you didn't prepare in the previous two games, you're automatically guaranteed the shithouse ending where everything falls apart and everyone dies, ala the everyone dies ending in ME2.

Yes.

Fuck new customers right up the ass!

Kyoufu

Is this DLC basically bunch of added linear corridors with enemies and conveniently placed cover with the odd room that has a med pack and a hackable device for an hour?

Psi

Kyoufu said:
Is this DLC basically bunch of added linear corridors with enemies and conveniently placed cover with the odd room that has a med pack and a hackable device for an hour?

More or less, but one of the battles is in sort of an open-ish room.

Pollux

Psi said:
More or less, but one of the battles is in sort of an open-ish room.

Even then its still pretty damn linear...go to that door, now that door, oh look they're on the elevator.

Kyoufu

zmoney said:

Even then its still pretty damn linear...go to that door, now that door, oh look they're on the elevator.

That is 95% of Mass Effect 2. I enjoyed LotSB so much because it was a slight change from the usual corridors. Even then it had its fair share of those :lol

I'm not really complaining, but I wonder why people give BioWare the free pass and slam FFXIII's corridor-based gameplay?

Kyoufu said:
I'm not really complaining, but I wonder why people give BioWare the free pass and slam FFXIII's corridor-based gameplay?

Probably because as you get into battles they happen and don't have to load into a seperate battle screen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kyoufu said:

Not only is it that, but it's also set in the most boring, uninspired environments possible, with no visual nor gameplay hooks to set it apart from any other mission, except for one brief cool moment. It's as basic as it gets.

EatChildren said:
Not only is it that, but it's also set in the most boring, uninspired environments possible, with no visual nor gameplay hooks to set it apart from any other mission, except for one brief cool moment. It's as basic as it gets.
What makes the environments particularly boring/uninspired to you? Was it just that you felt like you've seen it all before in the game - or was there something else? (I agree - just want to know your view; I'm taking environment design at my school...)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darknessbear said:
What makes the environments particularly boring/uninspired to you? Was it just that you felt like you've seen it all before in the game - or was there something else? (I agree - just want to know your view; I'm taking environment design at my school...)

Artistically there was no visual stimulation due to a weak colour palette and overly similar style to previous Mass Effect locations. I said it earlier, the first area to me seemed like a less memorable and defined Tuchanka, with the only exception being the rain effect. The second area also lacked any kind of interesting identity, outside of the vistas through the windows. The very last area had similar problems, but had a cool skybox/vista to make up for it.

Environments in games should be like the best environments in real life; while you're there the environment should convey a sense of identity and story, with a certain degree of subtlety, and when you leave you should have distinct memories of your experience. Colour palette, art design of props and structures, vistas/skyboxes, and events should blend together to craft a unique identity that contrasts other places you've visited. I never got this feeling throughout Arrival, as though the assets were mostly original their usage in level design and the progression through levels did little stimulation. It felt like a retread of ideas and art used better elsewhere.

Comparitively, Kasumi had the party scene as well as the museum room. Overlord had the downed Geth ship, the open grassy area with huge vistas, and volcanic strips. Shadow Broker had the car flight through Illium, the battle in residential areas that offered a different look at Illium (as all we had seen were the market areas), as well as the final area which was totally unique. Arrival had none of these.

On another note, I cant be the only one who picked up the parallels betwen Arrival and Bring Down the Sky.
Both have asteroids set on a collision course. One you stop, one you activate. One is Batarians attempting to kill human civilians, the other is you causing the deaths of Batarian civilians

Bummer this DLC is the one that caps off Mass Effect 2. I was really disappointed with the lack of creativity here.

Oh, and was Kenson super annoying to you guys? Something with her look and voice just made me want to punch her in the face.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hasphat'sAnts said:
Bummer this DLC is the one that caps off Mass Effect 2. I was really disappointed with the lack of creativity here.

Oh, and was Kenson super annoying to you guys? Something with her look and voice just made me want to punch her in the face.

I went the extra mile and
killed her.

Melchiah

It pisses me off to no end, that the DLC wasn't made available to European customers on its OFFICIAL release date. Way to make us feel like second grade customers. The most annoying thing is, that now we have to avoid getting spoiled by people, who got to play the DLC before us.

It's beyond me why Sony tends to treat EU customers like shit, eventhough we pretty much single handedly saved their ass during this generation. Yet, we get all the demos and DLCs later than the yanks, and miss out many of the better collector editions.

Rekubot

Melchiah said:
It pisses me off to no end, that the DLC wasn't made available to European customers on its OFFICIAL release date. Way to make us feel like second grade customers. The most annoying thing is, that now we have to avoid getting spoiled by people, who got to play the DLC before us.

It's beyond me why Sony tends to treat EU customers like shit, eventhough we pretty much single handedly saved their ass during this generation. Yet, we get all the demos and DLCs later than the yanks, and miss out many of the better collector editions.
Huh? It was released yesterday in Europe, both PC and Xbox (although the PC version came out significantly later for no reason at all and took much longer to download as Bioware's servers are shit).

Sai

Well, that was kind of... Underwhelming. It was good to see Hackett, and to know that Anderson wasn't the only person in the Alliance that doesn't think Shepard's out of his mind. That part with the artifact and the five waves was kind of fun.

kai3345 said:
I swear to god if I see a single YMIR Mech in Mass Effect 3.....
They're not so tough. I actually have fun setting them up to nuke the area whlie whiddling down on the lesser enemies' defenses--the explosion clears everything. :D

If anything, I hope they make them tougher.

So I think I found a gamebreaking glitch in the DLC. I'm not going to spoiler tag since it doesn't ruin any of the plot.

During the sneaking section at the beginning, there is one part where you have to run through a door past the hangar into a room with a crane that you can operate. I got noticed by a guard, used Cloak on my Infiltrator and ran into the next room with the crane. When you enter that room, you cannot go back as the door locks, but the enemies were still aware to my position. I also think it autosaved as I entered the room. I wanted to reload an older save to see if I missed anything but the game just locks up everytime I select LOAD from the menu. I have to hard reboot the 360 since I can't even bring up the Guide. Now I can't even select LOAD or RESUME from the main menu either or it locks up again. I tried deleting Arrival from my HDD and it still locks up. I'm going to try extracting my save file and deleting the autosave, but this is pretty fucked up. If I didn't know how to extract and edit save files then I'd be pretty pissed right about now.

syoaran

Rekubot said:
Huh? It was released yesterday in Europe, both PC and Xbox (although the PC version came out significantly later for no reason at all and took much longer to download as Bioware's servers are shit).

He said Sony, so I'm guessing the PS3 version has yet to been updated with the DLC

Melchiah

Rekubot said:
syoaran said:
He said Sony, so I'm guessing the PS3 version has yet to been updated with the DLC

That's right. It's extremely annoying, that they didn't even care to inform the EU residents about the release date being something else than the official one. I'm so pissed, that I feel like passing the whole thing, and giving my money to someone who treats their customers right.

Barrow Roll said:
So I think I found a gamebreaking glitch in the DLC. I'm not going to spoiler tag since it doesn't ruin any of the plot.

During the sneaking section at the beginning, there is one part where you have to run through a door past the hangar into a room with a crane that you can operate. I got noticed by a guard, used Cloak on my Infiltrator and ran into the next room with the crane. When you enter that room, you cannot go back as the door locks, but the enemies were still aware to my position. I also think it autosaved as I entered the room. I wanted to reload an older save to see if I missed anything but the game just locks up everytime I select LOAD from the menu. I have to hard reboot the 360 since I can't even bring up the Guide. Now I can't even select LOAD or RESUME from the main menu either or it locks up again. I tried deleting Arrival from my HDD and it still locks up. I'm going to try extracting my save file and deleting the autosave, but this is pretty fucked up. If I didn't know how to extract and edit save files then I'd be pretty pissed right about now.
Just a follow up, deleting the autosave file after extracting the save file onto my PC fixed the freezing. If I were less tech savvy then I would have had to delete my entire character save to fix the issue.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
After finishing the DLC, I thought it was quite the enjoyable ride for the one and a half hour run in the game. I did love the stealth aspect in the first part of the game, and also escaping from the facility to get the project going, but you can tell this wasn't polished as some of the previous content was. But it was worth playing this final story chapter in Mass Effect 2, even if it's for the music alone.

What an amazing score for this content. Have the none-combat pieces been uploaded yet?

krakov

I quite liked the arrival, it's not amazing but solid and worth the spacebucks. Not as good as overlord or shadow broker but better than Kasumi imho. I think bioware has done a great job with dlc for ME2.

Lakitu

st5fu
So I've seen a few interesting posts about the ramifications of
Shepard's trial
in ME 3.

Basically some have been suggesting
that it would be a good chance to use 'character witnesses' as in characters you've encountered throughout the first two games who can vouch for you. Such as that infected Batarian in the quarantine zone, or those Salarian workers in Illium. I think it would be really cool if your decisions in the first two games somehow has an affect on the outcome of the trial.

McNum

Lakitu said:
Shepard's trial
in ME 3.

that it would be a good chance to use 'character witnesses' as in characters you've encountered throughout the first two games who can vouch for you. Such as that infected Batarian in the quarantine zone, or those Salarian workers in Illium. I think it would be really cool if your decisions in the first two games somehow has an affect on the outcome of the trial.
It is a great way to solve the problem of "We have two games worth of exposition to do before we can get new players up to speed on what's what in Mass Effect 3." I do not envy Bioware on having to make that interesting.

Do a trial, have new players get the bare minimum and draw in character witnesses and bring up every single important and semi important event a ME1 or ME2 imported Shepard did. Then just as a verdict is about to be handed down, Harbinger rips the roof off the courthouse and it's on. Besides there's no better character witness for Shepard than a pissed off yellow Reaper tearing the building apart.
That'd make for a great opening for ME3.

Onagi

Banned
shinobi602 said:
Doesn't matter,
what you did there will have an impact in ME3. Bioware even said this. Most likely something along the lines of, if you didn't play the DLC, the Reapers get there sooner, billions more people die as a result of being more unprepared, as opposed to delaying the invasion some and having significantly better preparations.

BioWare is holding the entire planet hostage now?

This DLC thing has gone too far.

Lakitu

st5fu
McNum said:
It is a great way to solve the problem of "We have two games worth of exposition to do before we can get new players up to speed on what's what in Mass Effect 3." I do not envy Bioware on having to make that interesting.

Do a trial, have new players get the bare minimum and draw in character witnesses and bring up every single important and semi important event a ME1 or ME2 imported Shepard did. Then just as a verdict is about to be handed down, Harbinger rips the roof off the courthouse and it's on. Besides there's no better character witness for Shepard than a pissed off yellow Reaper tearing the building apart.

Spot on. And hopefully the Turian Councillor happens to be there right when it happens. :)

This is crazy. I instantly bought this DLC without knowing about it. That's how much I love ME2. I had to buy the soundtrack on Itunes out of principle. It's great music, but not exactly something I have listened to while on the go on my Ipod.

I am happy to hear that it's not shovelware, but like others, wouldn't you want ME2 to end on a high note? Overlord and Shadow Brooker were really, really, really, really, really good. Overlord was the most scary/creepy element in all of ME2, and Shadow Brooker added new cool stuff to the base game.
I really expected and hoped The Arrival to be the high finale to what I would call on one of the best PC games ever.
I haven't played it yet, but 1-1,5 hours is really sad. And if they skimped on the VA then double sad:(

As for Mass Effect 3, I am fearful.. ever since the teaser trailer, I am afraid I will go away dissapointed. Like with Crysis to Crysis 2, with Halo to Halo 2, and so on... once the game goes to real world locations that the player can relate to, I often find it much more difficult to suspend my disbelief, and just go with it, because my mind is constant staggered on all the things that seem or look wrong.

I remember being really bumped out in Halo 2 once you got to earth, in a big African Metropolis that there were no people.. no corpses, no refugees, just vaseline ridden cars. giant big meh. on the artificial ring world, it made sense in the context of what was going on... to be all alone.

Same thing with Crysis. The tropical island is of course a real world location, but most of us dont live on tropical islands, so it was a great stage for a game. they just build a jungle and thats that. but once it goes to new york, you expect all sorts of other s**t, and I think that's also why the graphics have been so dissapointing by some individuals. Its not just console dumpy dumpy, but also the fact that making a game in manhatten is endlessly more complicated than making one on a big jungle playground.
If we're fighting in London in ME3, I expect there to be missing a lot of details, and realism.

It's probably just me. It's also why I have a hard time swallowing the harry potter movies. It does not make sense to me, when mixing the real world with the fantasy, like it's a door you just walk through.

McNum

Lakitu said:
Spot on. And hopefully the Turian Councillor happens to be there right when it happens. :)
Only if there's a Renegade option to get Shepard to throw air quotes at the Turian Chancellor. Even my Paragon as Paragon can be Shepard would not be able to resist that.

Patryn

Lakitu said:
Shepard's trial
in ME 3.

By jove, I think you've totally nailed the beginning of ME3.

Lakitu

st5fu
subversus said:

I think it's a fair and well-written review, however one thing I disagree with is the criticism about the choice, or lack of it. The series is mostly always about choice, but at some point, a choice needs to be canonical. This is the time, as it leads into Mass Effect 3. If it were a choice presented to the player, each choice would greatly impact the beginning of Mass Effect 3. I really wouldn't expect Bioware to create two completely different beginnings depending on that choice. It's also a pretty important plot point in the grand scheme of things and not everyone is going to play it.

I understand the frustration though, as the series is mainly about the choices you make. But in this instance, I think it's forgiven.

Do agree with a lot of the review though. Combat was too heavy and cumbersome, but other than that, I enjoyed it. It was worth the price.

ape2man

McNum said:

Thats it you nailed it...

funny.jpg

Its gonna be EEEEEPPPPPPPIIIIICCCCCccccccCCCCCC

Patryn

Top Bottom